PDA

View Full Version : Elections Lest we forget, there's a Presidential campaign

orange
07-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Ron Paul calls for a crash, Mitt Romney disappears, Rick Perry combs his hair

By Brent Budowsky - 07/29/11 11:53 AM ET

We are witnessing the brand destruction of the Tea Party House members that will probably bring back Speaker Pelosi, turn Ron Paul into a virtual political crank and occasion the complete disappearance of Mitt Romney (who has zero to say about the great issue that threatens a crash) and the lightweight maneuvering of Rick Perry, the latest neocon hope of a desperate GOP.

I am most disappointed in Paul, who could have been a contender, but is turning out to be a quitter of an important subcommittee chairmanship and a crank who campaigns for default. Bachmann doesn't surprise me, but Paul does. Methinks Dr. Paul has been on television too much. It is going to his head; he gets weirder every day. Perhaps if he causes a crash, his small donors will need their money back to pay their bills.

Does Mitt Romney have anything to say about the great issue of the hour? He remains in seclusion, hiding from the debate, silent about his views, weak and timid and vacillating. What a pathetic performance from a man who aspires to the presidency who looks like the worst of Obama without the best. Romney is running as the new Rorschach. He runs from his own record, seems to be for everything before he was against everything, unless he says nothing. Meanwhile, Rick Perry has literally nothing to say about the great issues, and on some great issues, he goes both ways. What does he really think about gay marriage? What does he really think about anything except praying for the economy? I am all for praying, but we need a policy, not just a prayer. I assume Perry does not want to talk about problems he has created in Texas.

Now Rick Perry is meeting with one of the neocons in chief, Douglas Feith. Will we soon have bombs-away Perry, looking for wars to fight? Does Rick Perry think the voters demand another neocon from Texas? Will Perry campaign as the candidate who acts like the great actor Slim Pickens in the great film "Dr. Strangelove," who near the end of the film sat atop a nuclear bomb, waving his hat as he rode the bomb down to end the world?

No, don't bet your money on Perry. America could use a great Texas president with the financial brilliance of Lloyd Bentsen or the legislative skill and big heart for working people and the poor like Lyndon Baines Johnson. America would benefit from the Texas voice of Ross Perot, who was proven right on so many things.

As for the crank Ron Paul, the silent Mitt Romney, and the next Texas neocon Rick Perry, I would ask: Where do they get these guys?

Candidates with great hair, crazy views and two faces will not a president make.

Compared to this crowd of Republican cranks and lightweights, Barack Obama, with all of his imperfections, looks like Franklin Roosevelt and Abe Lincoln rolled into one!

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/174355-ron-paul-calls-for-a-crash-mitt-romney-disappears-rick-perry-combs-his-hair

patteeu
07-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Meanwhile, the nominal "leader" of the free world hides under his bed in between vapid speeches and waits for someone else to do something.

patteeu
07-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Mitt Romney hasn't performed very admirably during this debate, IMO and Tim Pawlenty appears to be insincerely pandering. Neither one has shown less leadership than the current POTUS though.

BucEyedPea
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Kewl! I'm having my daughter register to vote this fall. She wants to nominate Ron Paul.

Calcountry
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Meanwhile, the nominal "leader" of the free world hides under his bed in between vapid speeches and waits for someone else to do something.I would be laughing if it weren't so serious.

orange
07-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Meanwhile, the nominal "leader" of the free world hides under his bed in between vapid speeches and waits for someone else to do something.

YOU'RE calling for Obama to invoke the 14th Amendment?!? I'm shocked! Yet, that MUST be what you're advocating, since, as you well know, the President does not write legislation.

BucEyedPea
07-29-2011, 04:33 PM
That's just another opinion piece orange. Why not put yours up instead?

blaise
07-29-2011, 04:36 PM
orange would be happy if unemployment was 100% if it meant every seat were held by a Democrat.

orange
07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
That's just another opinion piece orange. Why not put yours up instead?

Quick, tell me Romney's and Perry's positions on the Debt Ceiling - then I'll give you my opinion of them.

p.s. I do know Paul's and Bachmann's positions - to their credit, I suppose - and I think they're loons. But that's nothing new.

blaise
07-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Buc, orange doesn't have opinions. He just funnels information here. He's sort of like a Huff Post satellite office.

vailpass
07-29-2011, 04:47 PM
YOU'RE calling for Obama to invoke the 14th Amendment?!? I'm shocked! Yet, that MUST be what you're advocating, since, as you well know, the President does not write legislation.

Amazing how little the obama defenders (those very few that remain) expect from their POTUS.

Calcountry
07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Amazing how little the obama defenders (those very few that remain) expect from their POTUS.Tee time anyone?

vailpass
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Tee time anyone?

I'm not concerned with what he does out of the office. I'm concerned with how miserably he fails while he is in the office.

patteeu
07-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Haha. There's no reason a President can't propose legislation. In fact, it happens a lot. But this President prefers to lead from behind. If you need him, he'll be shooting a round of golf or eating some wagu and listening to some urban spoken word.

blaise
07-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Haha. There's no reason a President can't propose legislation. In fact, it happens a lot. But this President prefers to lead from behind. If you need him, he'll be shooting a round of golf or eating some wagu and listening to some urban spoken word.

It's the "Nudgeocracy" Direckshun posted about. Just be there, take credit for the good and assign blame for the bad.

Otter
07-29-2011, 05:06 PM
A party finally steps up and demands Washington put on big boy pants to address the deficit that IS (not maybe, not if, but IS) going to end the USA as we know it after the subject has been kicked down the road for years and you try to label them villain.

This is why I think you and people who think like your are delusional, out of touch with reality, self serving frauds Orange.

trndobrd
07-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Shhhh. His plan is a secret.

BucEyedPea
07-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Quick, tell me Romney's and Perry's positions on the Debt Ceiling - then I'll give you my opinion of them.
That's not what I meant. But come to think of it, they're not in congress or the WH so why should they?
Reaching....you are reaching.

p.s. I do know Paul's and Bachmann's positions - to their credit, I suppose - and I think they're loons. But that's nothing new.

Says a man who's named after fruit. So Mr. Status Quo's got nuthin'. Thanks for showing that.

BucEyedPea
07-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Buc, orange doesn't have opinions. He just funnels information here. He's sort of like a Huff Post satellite office.

LMAO @ Huff Post satellite office.

RaiderH8r
07-29-2011, 11:11 PM

He can certainly lend voice to his ideas and use the Office of the President for more than his own self aggrandizing egocentric circle jerk.

"Let me be clear, I want to stress that the Republican plan is bad....mmmkay. People want balance, they want synergy, they want focus group tested buzz words that sound meaningful but are hollow rhetoric and as President I am committed to using these words so that I never have to stake out an actual position of substance. Thank you telepromptor and good night."

KILLER_CLOWN
07-30-2011, 12:56 AM
methinks Brent should Budowsky out on this issue, it seems way over his head.

banyon
07-30-2011, 09:12 AM

I'd like to be able to argue with this, but it's true.

That's why the health care bill is such an abomination, he let House committees (and eventually the health insurance industry) write it. He defers and reacts to everything.

He couldn't even get the damn Bush tax cuts repealed when he controlled both houses of congress.

He is a real disappointment as a leader.

Der Flöprer
07-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Right on. We know who not to vote for. But who the fuck are we going to vote for? For most of you, that's whoever gets the Republican nomination. In other words, we'll still be fucked after the next election.

Then you will all say "Well, he's better than Obama". Cycle continues. Your kids suffer. Middle class disappears. And we're all left to argue over whether the word God should be included in The Pledge of Allegiance. Or, what we're going to do about those pesky illegal aliens that are now making just as much money as everyone else. $4 hr.

Good times lie ahead.

Cannibal
07-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Kewl! I'm having my daughter register to vote this fall. She wants to nominate Ron Paul.

Stop the presses! You don't say?!

banyon
07-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Well the point of this thread is accurate.

Bachmann is the only one even talking about the topic, everyone else is mainly hiding.

We were having public debates on Fox and CNN between the candidates and now they've disappeared.

orange
07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Six Circumstances in Search of a Candidate
Aug 8, 2011, Vol. 16, No. 44 • By ​WILLIAM KRISTOL

Circumstance #1: Obama is a weak candidate for reelection.

Obama’s approval rating, which has been drifting down for a while, began to accelerate downward last week, as voters noticed his utter failure of leadership in dealing with the debt ceiling and the debt itself. His July 25 primetime address to the nation could well go down as his “malaise” speech​—​the moment when the country lost confidence the president knew what to do or even what he was doing. Still, it will take a credible opponent at the head of an acceptable party to beat him next year.

Circumstance #2: The Republican House isn’t much of an advertisement for Republican governance.

The near self-immolation of Republicans in the House late last week confirmed that the best that can be expected over the next year on the Hill is .  .  . not much. We can hope that the self-destructive element of the GOP caucus doesn’t do much harm, and that John Boehner and Mitch McConnell can minimize the damage to the Republican image and cause.

Circumstance #3: The gulf between the Christine O’Donnell element of the Tea Party and the GOP establishment is enormous.

Before Boehner had to modify his debt ceiling legislation last Friday, he still had the support of almost 90 percent of the House GOP conference, and about 80 percent of the conservative Republican Study Committee members. So it would be misleading to call the rebellion against Boehner a broad-based movement on the right. Still, it happened, and it did its damage. Now large numbers of Republican primary voters, and even more independent general election voters, will be wary of supporting a Republican candidate in 2012 if the party looks as if it’s in the grip of an infantile form of conservatism. On the other hand, a conventional establishment candidate will have trouble uniting the conservative coalition.

Circumstance #4: The GOP presidential field is weak.

As things now stand, the September 7 Republican presidential debate at the Ronald Reagan library will feature, in alphabetical order, Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Jon Huntsman, Ron Paul, Tim Pawlenty (if he’s still in the race), Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin (if she gets in the race), and Rick Santorum (if he’s still in the race). Almost all would be better than Obama, and one or two might surprise on the upside. Still: Picture yourself turning on your TV that evening. Feel enthusiastic about 2012?

Circumstance #5: In a moment of crisis, the GOP presidential candidates headed for the hills.

Apart from those who took silly positions (Michele Bachmann, who opposed all versions of a debt ceiling increase, even as she equivocates on Medicare reform) and those whose support is confined to the liberal media (Jon Huntsman, who supported Boehner), the Republican presidential candidates were basically nowhere to be found during the debt ceiling debate, or confined themselves to coy and cryptic comments. Not exactly profiles in leadership.

Circumstance #6: The GOP needs a winner in 2012.

Paul Ryan can’t accomplish much over the next year in the House. He should run as a candidate who’s shown leadership (the Ryan budget), who has successfully taken on Obama (at the House Republican retreat, the health care summit, and in the White House about two months ago), and who has the best chance of uniting the establishment and Tea Party wings of the GOP. If not Ryan, how about Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, or someone else who is young, sane, and unafraid?

It’s one thing for House Republicans to go through an awkward patch. It would be another thing entirely to fumble away the 2012 presidential election.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/six-circumstances-search-candidate_577791.html

BucEyedPea
07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Did you know the Weekly Standard is NeoConservative and were the biggest promoters of invading Iraq? I mean this is Progressive Billy Kristol's magazine and they will promote left-of-center Establishment Republicans who won't bring real change.

patteeu
07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Did you know the Weekly Standard is NeoConservative and were the biggest promoters of invading Iraq? I mean this is Progressive Billy Kristol's magazine and they will promote left-of-center Establishment Republicans who won't bring real change.

You forgot to mention Trotsky. You're just sore because Kristol nailed the fact that you support an infantile form of conservatism.

KCWolfman
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM

No but by definition, he should lead, which he has failed to do worse than Jimmy Carter while gas lines formed around him.

What has been the President's lead thus far during the "Debt Crisis"? For two freakin' years it has been not a single word. While he and his cronies were in office creating mystical stimulus bills that not only failed to deliver as promised but created new leech imaginary jobs in federal, state, and local governments that we will be decades removing from our wallets. Then when the facts were pointed out that he and his groupies not only ignored the debt ceiling but actually exacerbated it by failing to create a budget for those two years he cried "I didn't realize how big our problem we inherited actually was" and "These Republicans won't compromise with us".

A real leader would have admitted he and his supporters screwed up and created this fiasco.

FD
07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
For those interested, Rick Perry is giving a speech on C-Span right now (re-aired from Friday).

orange
08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Monday, Mitt Romney - emboldened by finally knowing exactly how to frame his "anti-Obama, all-the-time" message - comes out against the Debt Ceiling Bill.

Related: Two hours later, Rep. Issa's camp says the Bill will pass the House with 300+ votes.

mlyonsd
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Monday, Mitt Romney - emboldened by finally knowing exactly how to frame his "anti-Obama, all-the-time" message - comes out against the Debt Ceiling Bill.

Evidently being against a debt ceiling increase is a no brainer if you're running for president. Ask the current one.

vailpass
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Related: Two hours later, Rep. Issa's camp says the Bill will pass the House with 300+ votes.

Are you really criticising someone for waiting to see which way the wind blows before taking a stance because they lack the leadership and experience to make decisions in a timely manner? Are you really criticising someone for leading from the rear rather than the front?
Really?

go bowe
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Are you really criticising someone for waiting to see which way the wind blows before taking a stance because they lack the leadership and experience to make decisions in a timely manner? Are you really criticising someone for leading from the rear rather than the front?
Really?

no, of course not...

the man is a shining example of womanhood...

BucEyedPea
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Really?

What a phony slickster this turncoat is.

BucEyedPea
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM

Yet, he praises Ben Bernanke. That outta tell ya' whose side he's on.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
What a phony slickster this turncoat is.

but he has an R next to his name. LMAO

BucEyedPea
08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
but he has an R next to his name. LMAO

That's enough for Rs too. :doh!: