PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Help with a DIY Home Sub Woofer

TrebMaxx
08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Need some help with a project I took on. I am trying to hook my brother in-law up with 5.1 speakers. What I have to work with here is a Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 PC speaker sets. My BIL has a 65" LCD TV and a Onkyo 5.1 AVR in a fairly narrow room so no need for a powerhouse system. All is good with the satellite\center channel speakers but the Sub's amp is blown. Turn it on, blows a fuse type blown. So I took out all of the amp\crossover parts and all I have is the enclosure with the woofers in it. It has 8" dual side-firing drivers. Enough to fill the room I want to put it in.

My questions to the audiophile\electronic folks is what do I need to put in the box to make it work as a home theater Sub. Do I need a amp? Or, can I just hook it up to the Onkyo? Do I need a crossover or not?

Here's the specs on the sub's drivers. 170 w @ < 3%THD, 40-100Hz. Max burst power: 500 w.

notorious
08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Need some help with a project I took on. I am trying to hook my brother in-law up with 5.1 speakers. What I have to work with here is a Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 PC speaker sets. My BIL has a 65" LCD TV and a Onkyo 5.1 AVR in a fairly narrow room so no need for a powerhouse system. All is good with the satellite\center channel speakers but the Sub's amp is blown. Turn it on, blows a fuse type blown. So I took out all of the amp\crossover parts and all I have is the enclosure with the woofers in it. It has 8" dual side-firing drivers. Enough to fill the room I want to put it in.

My questions to the audiophile\electronic folks is what do I need to put in the box to make it work as a home theater Sub. Do I need a amp? Or, can I just hook it up to the Onkyo? Do I need a crossover or not?

Here's the specs on the sub's drivers. 170 w @ < 3%THD, 40-100Hz. Max burst power: 500 w.

That looks like the sub amp's specs since speaker distortion can not be defined with a simple THD%.

Anyway, buy one of these and be done with it:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

If the subs are in a sealed enclosure, buy the B model.

They do go on sale for 99 and sometimes even $89 during Christmas.

TrebMaxx
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
That looks like the sub amp's specs since speaker distortion can not be defined with a simple THD%.

Anyway, buy one of these and be done with it:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

If the subs are in a sealed enclosure, buy the B model.

They do go on sale for 99 and sometimes even $89 during Christmas.

Thanks for the info. I think I will tell the BIL his options now that I know it can be done and you could save around half the amount than to just buy a new sub.

notorious
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I will tell the BIL his options now that I know it can be done and you could save around half the amount than to just buy a new sub.

No prob. If anyone wants in-depth info on how to build your own gear, drop me a PM sometime. DIY home and car auido used to be an obsession of mine.