PDA

View Full Version : Economics Matt Damon clears it all up

Baby Lee
08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm at odds concerning how to respond to this, but the visceral reaction is sadness. I like Damon a lot as an actor and a personality. But my gawd, to let someone put a mike in front of you and just blather unthinkingly is . . . sad.

"Maybe we don't tax the upper middle class, but just the really rich, like me."

"I didn't start a small business with my tax cut. Nobody did."

"Keeping taxes low in a poor economy is meritless, because they'll want low taxes in boom times . . . Republicans never ever raise taxes."

And I'm not saying none of what he says carries so much as a ghost of meritorious arguments. It's just the astounding lack of thought that clearly went into this 'rant.'

I honestly don't know if the interviewer was attempting to get a rousing/inspiring populist rant out of him, or was trying to 'O'Keefe' him.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/27132302?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/27132302">Matt Damon on debt limit: 'I'm so disgusted,' 'it's criminal' the wealthy are not paying higher taxes</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user7960592">Nicholas Ballasy</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

suzzer99
08-03-2011, 07:35 PM
More thought went into that rant than the idea that slashing govt spending in a recession would do anything but worsen the recession.

Bill Parcells
08-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Thats the typical new wave actor (libtard) mentality nowadays. I dont know why you're so surprised. most of Hollywood has been brain washed just like most of the kids in college nowadays. it's kind of sad if you ask me (nobody did ask me though lol) hopefully I will be long dead before their off spring starts running this country.

Reaper16
08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Your reaction is only visceral because you disagree with him.

Marco Polo
08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Just because you have fundamental differences than him doesn't mean that his "rant" was thoughtless. He is an educated person who just views life differently than you. That doesn't make him right nor wrong, just like you.

ChiTown
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I can't believe this babbling retard pulled off playing a genius in the movie GWH. JFC, he absolutely exemplifies the lunacy that exists in Hollywood. :LOL:

Baby Lee
08-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Your reaction is only visceral because you disagree with him.

Just because you have fundamental differences than him doesn't mean that his "rant" was thoughtless. He is an educated person who just views life differently than you. That doesn't make him right nor wrong, just like you.

Watch it and tell me he put thought into his responses. I allowed that someone could [and presumably has] taken some of positions and actually defended them eloquently. It's not the positions, seriously. This is 'keep your government hands off my Medicare' territory. This that town hall 'we should grow and eat California fruits and vegetables' lady territory.

Anyone who has actually seen the clip, whatever your political stripe, is it inspiring, informative, or persuasive in any way?

It seems to me little more than watching a day or two of talking head TV and mumbling and stumbling through the shouted talking points of one side in the most sheepish manner possible.

And its not about whether he's [or I'm] right or wrong. Its about if he's persuasive or inspiring. Maybe it's at it's base my strong sense that talking politics is bad enough in most cases, and if it fails to even aspire to either inspire support or persuade either critics or undecideds, it is nearly completely useless.

ChiTown
08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Watch it and tell me he put thought into his responses. I allowed that someone could [and presumably has] taken some of positions and actually defended them eloquently. It's not the positions, seriously. This is 'keep your government hands off my Medicare' territory. This that town hall 'we should grow and eat California fruits and vegetables' lady territory.

Anyone who has actually seen the clip, whatever your political stripe, is it inspiring, informative, or persuasive in any way?

It seems to me little more than watching a day or two of talking head TV and mumbling and stumbling through the shouted talking points of one side in the most sheepish manner possible.

He's a fahhking reetahhd!

Baby Lee
08-03-2011, 07:58 PM

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe he's saying this out of fear that, if he says the wrong thing, neighbor Howard Zinn will burn his house down. ;)

Bewbies
08-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Another example of why public figures would do well to stay away from public comment on political crap.

BucEyedPea
08-03-2011, 09:43 PM

I thought he sounded profoundly ignorant of economics. Sorry but he does and he just is. He hasn't a clue what he's talking about. So no he is not educated on economics or finance. He should stick to acting where he is educated.

Jenson71
08-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe he's saying this out of fear that, if he says the wrong thing, neighbor Howard Zinn will burn his house down. ;)

Zinn died a year or so ago, but Damon was certainly a disciple.

Baby Lee
08-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Watch it and tell me he put thought into his responses.
ANYONE?

And Reap, my response wasn't simply visceral. I have all sorts of responses. But the visceral ASPECT of the response was sadness, sadness for a guy I like acquitting himself so poorly.

I've had similar visceral responses from people it would appear I would tend to agree with more, but they're usually anonymous 'man on the street' deals. OK, how about Craig T. Nelson's 'yeah I was when I was on welfare you didn't see me asking for government handouts?' That was more straight up stupid than 'sheepishly unthoughtful.'

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
It won't come as a shock, I know....but I understand completely what Damon is saying (although FTR, I do agree he was far too much off-the-cuff and lacking in eloquence.) However, he is right. 100% right on target. As an attorney, you intuitively demand precise and meticulous argumentation and logic.

Today's political climate has created a sense among most of us (myself and, it seems, Damon included) that any attempt to persuade others is futile, because of the entrenched nature of dogmatic ideological positions so prevalent with nearly anyone seriously involved in the political process. You can thank a lot of folks for that; talk radio, Michael Moore, and FOX/MSNBC among them. When it comes to politics, the vast majority of Americans are ADD--so real logic and arguments are a waste of time. We've been reduced to a culture of sound bites and slogans.

Truly, I don't like it either; but it is where we have arrived. I've accepted it, but you haven't. That said, each of the three quotes you cited from Damon, are reasonable takes; overly simplified generalizations perhaps (too absolute).... but true nonetheless. I'd love for you to attempt to, conclusively, demonstrate otherwise.

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
FWIW, I liked this recent video clip of Damon even better. Heh... :)

http://youtu.be/WFHJkvEwyhk

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WFHJkvEwyhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ThatRaceCardGuy
08-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Can we just start the debate on splitting up the country now? Let the repukes have WY, MT, ID, ND , SD , UT , and NE....the normal people people can have the rest of the country.

Mr. Kotter
08-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Can we just starting the debate on splitting up the country now? Let the repukes have WY, MT, ID, ND , SD , UT , and NE....the normal people people can have the rest of the country.

More aptly, the tea party types (notice, I said "party," not "baggers").....can claim the aforementioned states, plus possibly KS, OK, TX, and IN...well, that's about it. Nice "country," eh? How 'bout it, Reps?

Good luck with that. Just sayin'. Heh.

ThatRaceCardGuy
08-04-2011, 06:41 AM
More aptly, the tea party types (notice, I said "party," not "baggers").....can claim the aforementioned states, plus possibly KS, OK, TX, and IN...well, that's about it. Nice "country," eh? How 'bout it, Reps?

Good luck with that. Just sayin'. Heh.

I don't believe a group as nasty, vial , racist and hypocritical("we want small government...but dont touch our medicare, medicaid, or social security") as the "Baggers" deserve the respect to be called a party...but yes, we should start the talks with the ultra right , Glenn Beck, Faux News types to give them their own country to ruin , and leave America alone.

blaise
08-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Can we just start the debate on splitting up the country now? Let the repukes have WY, MT, ID, ND , SD , UT , and NE....the normal people people can have the rest of the country.

This is the edited version of your post? How retarded was it pre-editing?

blaise
08-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Thatguy is Dottefan, by the way.

ThatRaceCardGuy
08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Thatguy is Dottefan, by the way.

I have no clue but okay. I also enjoy the stalking and attention you give me :thumb:

ThatRaceCardGuy
08-04-2011, 07:44 AM
This is the edited version of your post? How retarded was it pre-editing?

Oh no...I just committed an interweb sin..I edited a post ..I broke interweb rules !!! I`m soooo stupid ....thanks for pointing out the interweb rules for me blaise, what would I do with out you!

InChiefsHell
08-04-2011, 07:53 AM
I don't believe a group as nasty, vial , racist and hypocritical("we want small government...but dont touch our medicare, medicaid, or social security") as the "Baggers" deserve the respect to be called a party...but yes, we should start the talks with the ultra right , Glenn Beck, Faux News types to give them their own country to ruin , and leave America alone.
So, you idiots get what, New York, California, Illinois...all the lefty leaning states? I guarantee you in 10 years you'd all need a bail out and would come begging for the help of sensible normal Americans like the Tea Partiers. Keep it up idiot. Soon, you'll know just how few of you there really are. Just enough to break shit, but not to fix it.

...and by the way, you don't have to be a Democrat either. Plenty of RINO's to go around.

Deberg_1990
08-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I think Damon is extremely intelligent and a great writer. He did attend Harvard (didnt graduate). I dont agree with him at all, but i cant deny his intelligence.

InChiefsHell
08-04-2011, 07:59 AM

And what is nasty vial and racist? Only what you perceive to be so. Only what you are told to think by the morons in the media. Ask Herman Cain or Allan West if the Tea Party is racist. (But be careful, you may arrive at the conclusion that he's an Uncle Tom...who's the racist now??) Vial...as in referring to other Americans as terrorists and jihadists just because they don't think the way you do, ala the Democrats in Congress and the libtards in the media? Hypocritical...you are obviously incapable of rational thought, because if you can't see the do as I say, not as I do attitude from our Messiah in Chief, then I don't think you can be helped.

Keep it up. There's a name for you. Useful idiot.

blaise
08-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Oh no...I just committed an interweb sin..I edited a post ..I broke interweb rules !!! I`m soooo stupid ....thanks for pointing out the interweb rules for me blaise, what would I do with out you!

I think you misunderstood. That's not surprising.

BucEyedPea
08-04-2011, 08:11 AM
I think Damon is extremely intelligent and a great writer. He did attend Harvard (didnt graduate). I dont agree with him at all, but i cant deny his intelligence.

I don't see what it has to do with intelligence at all. It's education on economics. Ya' know garbage in means garbage out.

notorious
08-04-2011, 08:18 AM
So, you idiots get what, New York, California, Illinois...all the lefty leaning states? I guarantee you in 10 years you'd all need a bail out and would come begging for the help of sensible normal Americans like the Tea Partiers. Keep it up idiot. Soon, you'll know just how few of you there really are. Just enough to break shit, but not to fix it.

...and by the way, you don't have to be a Democrat either. Plenty of RINO's to go around.

I was wondering where they were going to get their food.

BucEyedPea
08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
So, you idiots get what, New York, California, Illinois...all the lefty leaning states? I guarantee you in 10 years you'd all need a bail out and would come begging for the help of sensible normal Americans like the Tea Partiers.

I thought Cali has already been given a bailout? They didn't need ten years. They've arrived.

Deberg_1990
08-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't see what it has to do with intelligence at all. It's education on economics. Ya' know garbage in means garbage out.

Hes a bleeding heart lib. Thats just how these guys think. Their heart is in the right place, and they can always talk a big game, they just dont have any common sense.

Hes certainly entitled to his opinions, just like everyone else. More power to him though,....its funny, since hes basically calling for himself to be taxed more.

BucEyedPea
08-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Hes a bleeding heart lib. Thats just how these guys think. Their heart is in the right place, and they can always talk a big game, they just dont have any common sense.
Yeah,that's true but there's a link in that actors don't generally study economics, finance or business. He's a humanities type....where the left-wing profs dominate. Besides actors lean toward sympathy in general which I think makes them good actors but not necessarily in other areas.

Hes certainly entitled to his opinions, just like everyone else. More power to him though,....its funny, since hes basically calling for himself to be taxed more.
Sure but others are entitled to speak over his opinion including saying he is uneducated in an area—which he is.

Nothing wrong with being specialized in one area, and being good at it, but not in others. Many object to this idea that actors are opinion leaders in politics, commerce, economics, finance, or govt finances. Yet, they get the microphone as if they are.

Iowanian
08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
They should start taxing illegal poker games...

mlyonsd
08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
They should start taxing illegal poker games...And tax the illegal substances at those poker games.

patteeu
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM

It won't come as a shock, I know....but I understand completely what Damon is saying ...

Not a shock at all, to be honest.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Some people should be shot in the face, other than that i've got nothing.

vailpass
08-04-2011, 12:46 PM
OMG

KCWolfman
08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Go Matt Damon!!!

It's not like he can negotiate more money per movie if they do raise his taxes.... right?