PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Strange how tastes change as you grow older

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
This is completely random, but I drank a lot of gatorade as a teenager. And I hated basically every flavor but orange. So I'm exercising like crazy again (I'd biked 20 miles by 9 this morning), and I've started to drink Gatorade again. And of course all I've been drinking is Orange....

Saturday I'm doing some freelance video work and the client brings me a lemon-lime. I'm immediate like "blech", but it's a big bottle and it's free, so I'm gonna drink it. And lo and behold I like it.

WTF.

Yesterday I'm walking in the evening, it's brutally hot yet again, so I decide to try fruit punch (which I used to HATE), and shockingly I like that, too.

So apparently, as an old man, I'm more open to different gatorade flavors. So now I'm going to try some really weird looking purple and blue flavors. Hope they don't suck.

Wonder what else I could eat now that I despised as a kid. I'm guessing I'd still hate Cabbage Rolls passionately (sorry mom) I don't see liver and onions in my future, but I wonder if I need to stretch my wings a little with the grown-up food.

Come to think of it, I do eat broccoli every day now.

luv
08-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I recommend Fierce Grape.

ct
08-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Used to hate tomatoes, now I can eat one like an apple.

But thank God I still love pie, or else I'd pack it in.

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I recommend Fierce Grape.So I've heard.

luv
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM

But thank God I still love pie, or else I'd pack it in.

Does this bring about wrong images for anyone else?

Nickel D
08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Try anti-freeze.

QuikSsurfer
08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Rain in the lime green -- mmmmmm

luv
So I've heard.

I actually like the Fruit Punch, too.

I hated mushrooms as a kid, but now I like them.
I loved Whoppers (the candy) when I was a kid, and I can't stand them now.

Donger
I would offer my example, but it would be a little too graphic.

Pants
Blue is the best, my friend.

phisherman
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM

so does phil, but you'd better watch out if he has a few.

SuperChief
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
For serious, try the pink powerade (can't remember the flavor, maybe strawberry?). It's delish.

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I would offer my example, but it would be a little too graphic.You didn't like the flavor of the taint on a big, sweaty bear when you were younger, but it's since grown on you?

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Try anti-freeze.Anti-freeze, lemon-lime gatorade. I didn't used to think there was a difference.

gblowfish
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I used to think forty year old women were icky. Now I really really like them.

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I used to think forty year old women were icky. Now I really really like them.I was actually just thinking about that. My tastes still run mid-twenties athletic women, and I'm of course a looooong way away from mid-twenties or athletic myself.

I wonder when that will change. 30 still seems too old to me.

Fish
08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Another thing to consider is that Gatorade has increased their sugar quantities by crazy amounts compared to the Gatorade of 15-20 years ago. It's basically Koolaid now....

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 11:09 AM
i know right. started with beast ice, moved on to high life, now im at busch light.

madness.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I think I've gotten more picky as I've aged.

luv
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
i know right. started with beast ice, moved on to high life, now im at busch light.

madness.

PBR the next step?

One of these days, you'll work your way up to good beer.

tooge
08-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I hated beer when I was 14. Now i love it.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 11:19 AM
PBR the next step?

One of these days, you'll work your way up to good beer.

pbr is swill. my clan didnt even drink it back when. Busch lite is livin.

ct
08-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Does this bring about wrong images for anyone else?

If the images this brought to you seemed right, it might explain the dating dilemmas, you're on the wrong team!

The day I no longer enjoy the pie, i'm done.

Frazod
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
I hated beer when I was 14. Now i love it.

I'm the same way.

Of course now, I drink good beer, as opposed to the pisswater stuff I did when I was young.

I think its safe to say that it will snow in hell before I ever drink anything that says Miller, Budweiser, Busch or Coors on the label again.

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I wonder if I'd like wine now. I've always hated wine.

Mr. Laz
08-04-2011, 11:47 AM
older i get the spicier i like my food

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
older i get the spicier i like my foodThat's just because all the paste they feed you at the nursing home tastes like cardboard flavored pudding unless there's some hot sauce in it.

gblowfish
I went to Knucklehead's for a show about a week ago. It was a hot night. Most of the younger whippersnappers were drinking PBR tall boys. 24 OZ, for $3.

PBR is what my dad used to call "Lawn Mower Beer." In the same category with Busch, Milwaukee's Best, Carling, Schlitz, Hamms, Coors etc. Only tastes really good when its ice cold -and I mean literally ICE cold, and when it's really hot and humid outside.

The problem with a PBR tall boy is, if it gets warm, you can't drink the whole thing. So you have to pretty much slam them before they get warm.

luv

I think wine is something you have to learn to appreciate.

I used to hate coffee. Once I started working and going to school, I found a new appreciation of it. I don't typically have any whenever I'm not working, but, with two flavored creamers, I like it.

InChiefsHell
Sadly, and I do mean sadly, the last year or two I have been unable to eat bacon. Bacon dammit! I like the taste, but it jacks up my guts like none other. That never used to happen. When I was a kid, I used to have to plan my whole day around a Gyro. Loved eating them but would guarantee misery for a few hours. Now, no problem. Weird...

InChiefsHell
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
older i get the spicier i like my food

Same here. When I was a kid, I couldn't stand any heat. Nowadays, I really like it alot...

aturnis
Anything G2. Basically I now hate all regular G Gatorades exception Glacier Freeze or whatever. G2 though, is basically one part regular Gatorade, one part water. I love it. Not too sweet like all the other junk.

gblowfish
Sadly, and I do mean sadly, the last year or two I have been unable to eat bacon. Bacon dammit! I like the taste, but it jacks up my guts like none other. That never used to happen. When I was a kid, I used to have to plan my whole day around a Gyro. Loved eating them but would guarantee misery for a few hours. Now, no problem. Weird...

Hi Boy hamburgers make me literally physically, digestively sick now. Something about the beef. It's the only place where I have that problem. When I was a kid had no problem at all. Very strange.

I can still eat their tenderloins and chicken no problem. The beef tries to kill me.

aturnis
08-04-2011, 11:53 AM

I don't really like wine either. I will drink a good sweet Muscato though. Try Muscato di Asti, or something like that.

Detoxing
08-04-2011, 11:54 AM

You should just kill yourself then. Pretty much no reason to live anymore.

Next thing you know you can't eat cheeseburgers or drink alcohol.....You find yourself passed out on the side of the bed laying in a puddle of tofacon puke......

All down hill from here man.

aturnis
08-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Same here. When I was a kid, I couldn't stand any heat. Nowadays, I really like it alot...

Same here. Also breaded mushrooms. Never liked them now I can't get enough.

Detoxing
08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Boy hamburgers make me literally physically, digestively sick now. Something about the beef. It's the only place where I have that problem. When I was a kid had no problem at all. Very strange.

I can still eat their tenderloins and chicken no problem. The beef tries to kill me.

See my post to Inchiefshell?

Ya....you're closer to it then he is...

Detoxing
08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Same here. Also breaded mushrooms. Never liked them now I can't get enough.

All mushrooms can die in a fire.

The only thing that has changed for me is my desire for veggies. Didn't like 'em young, but love em now as long as they're prepared right.

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I can eat mushrooms and olives on pizza now. I used to pick them off.

Well, black olives at least. Green olives still taste nasty to me.

Something I've actually lost my taste for is onions on burgers. Sauteed onions are fine, but raw onions I don't like for some reason.

gblowfish
08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
See my post to Inchiefshell?

Ya....you're closer to it then he is...

I'll PM you when I start drooling and shitting myself. Inquiring minds want to know...

lcarus
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
It's also weird how when I was a kid I could eat a thousand Reese's peanut butter cups, but now if I get a 4 pack, I rarely eat all of them.

Okie_Apparition
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
My sweet tooth is slowly fading. YES! Pubic hair should shortly follow

Detoxing
08-04-2011, 12:00 PM
What's strange is when you live off of fast food and Cup O' Noodles all your life, then you switch to healthy, home cooking for a few months and can't go back to the fast food.

I'm presently struggling with that.....

Nzoner
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I used to think forty year old women were icky. Now I really really like them.

This.

keg in kc
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
What's strange is when you live off of fast food and Cup O' Noodles all your life, then you switch to healthy, home cooking for a few months and can't go back to the fast food.

I'm presently struggling with that.....Yeah, I keep hoping to reach that point, but I still have no problem whatsoever going back to the fast food.

This is actually day four of my latest attempt to wean myself off of it.

Bob Dole
08-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Still tastes like vinegar to Bob Dole.

Fried chicken livers, on the other hand...

Radar Chief
08-04-2011, 12:10 PM
My only real attraction to fast food any more is the convenience. Outside of a very few specific examples the flavor is crap and its just filler until I can get a real meal.

Frazod
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Not a wine drinker. The only ones I sort of like are sweet, and I absolutely do not drink any alcoholic drink while eating. My parents never drank at home, at least not around me, so I never developed a taste for it. Always makes me the oddball at dinner with the inlaws because they're Italian Catholic and drink wine all the time.

lcarus
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
My only real attraction to fast food any more is the convenience. Outside of a very few specific examples the flavor is crap and its just filler until I can get a real meal.

There are hardly any fast food places I can tolerate anymore. Chick-Fil-A was one of them, but I'm already sick of that crap now too.

gblowfish
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Wine gives me a terrible headache. Even a little bit. But I can drink Crown Royal in copious amounts, take a couple Advil before bed and pop up the next day clear as a bell.
Not sure why, but it works.

tooge
08-04-2011, 12:23 PM
You guys are killin me. I love me some PBR. Found it in bottles by my house. I also love schlitz. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Boulevard Pale Ale and Sierra type guy too, but really, dissing PBR?

Radar Chief
08-04-2011, 12:57 PM
You guys are killin me. I love me some PBR. Found it in bottles by my house. I also love schlitz. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Boulevard Pale Ale and Sierra type guy too, but really, dissing PBR?

Oh, the Mrs. and I loves us some PBR.
Just donít drink it with a big meal, itíll bloat ya like crazy.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Still tastes like vinegar to Bob Dole.

Fried chicken livers, on the other hand...

Straight out of the birds & into the skillet. Store bought is just flat gross.

durtyrute
08-04-2011, 01:10 PM
You didn't like the flavor of the taint on a big, sweaty bear when you were younger, but it's since grown on you?

Yep

Radar Chief
08-04-2011, 01:22 PM
There are hardly any fast food places I can tolerate anymore. Chick-Fil-A was one of them, but I'm already sick of that crap now too.

I was doing some night time video testing and stopped in at the local Sonic to get a bite for dinner. By the time I bought a meal, specialty burger, fries and large drink, Iíd spent about $10. When I bit into my burger I thought, for the same price I couldíve gone to Moeís, a local restaurant, got a real meal of chicken fried chicken/steak with mashed tators and grave for the same price. I havenít been back to Sonic since and that was about 3 years ago.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
you coulda bought 5 chicks for a buck, a pound of tater seed for another buck, one more dollar on seed for peppers & maters and you could feed yourself for a month.

This is how my 'taste' has rechanged the most.

Earthling
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I was actually just thinking about that. My tastes still run mid-twenties athletic women, and I'm of course a looooong way away from mid-twenties or athletic myself.

I wonder when that will change. 30 still seems too old to me.

Eventually "alive" will become the most important criteria.

Baby Lee
08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know if my tastes have changed or if I just cataloged over the years the preparation for foods that I liked best.

As a kid I actually liked raw veggies, but hated most cooked [the family still teases me from the time around 5-6 grandma told me we were having carrots with dinner and I asked, horrified, 'you didn't put cook on them, did you?']. Canned veggies were the worst.

Also didn't like liver, shepherd's pie or tuna casserole.

But then, as a kid I ate nothing from Asia [or Americanized Asia], the M.E., or South America, and only the rudiments of Mexican and Italian, parents prerogative.

Still not a big fan of canned veggies, especially peas [HATE canned peas], but I love cooking up fresh [Mmmmm, brussels sprouts sauted in garlic and bacon crumbles, grilled asparagus, grilled summer squash].

I've likewise found iterations of liver [and onions] I can very occasionally enjoy, and a shepherd's pie I actually like.

Never found a tuna casserole I can stand though. Outside those two, I'm hard pressed to think of any cuisine, ingredient or dish I can't find a preparation I enjoy.

lcarus
08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I was doing some night time video testing and stopped in at the local Sonic to get a bite for dinner. By the time I bought a meal, specialty burger, fries and large drink, Iíd spent about $10. When I bit into my burger I thought, for the same price I couldíve gone to Moeís, a local restaurant, got a real meal of chicken fried chicken/steak with mashed tators and grave for the same price. I havenít been back to Sonic since and that was about 3 years ago.

Yes, it isn't even a value anymore to go to most fast food places. Wendy's and Backyard Burgers will cost me 8-10 dollars here depending on what I get. I could get Applebee's or something considerably better than fast food for that price.

Baby Lee
08-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I was doing some night time video testing and stopped in at the local Sonic to get a bite for dinner. By the time I bought a meal, specialty burger, fries and large drink, I’d spent about $10. When I bit into my burger I thought, for the same price I could’ve gone to Moe’s, a local restaurant, got a real meal of chicken fried chicken/steak with mashed tators and grave for the same price. I haven’t been back to Sonic since and that was about 3 years ago.

That's some short sighted menu offering.

loochy
08-04-2011, 01:34 PM
My taste in women has changed too.

evolve27
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
My tastes have become more refined

Rain Man
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I went to Chili's a while back and was shocked to discover that the chicken tenders tasted greasy to me. I've loved their chicken tenders for years. Am I changing, or is Chili's?

Dayze
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I went to Chili's a while back and was shocked to discover that the chicken tenders tasted greasy to me. I've loved their chicken tenders for years. Am I changing, or is Chili's?

i agree; I used to love them, now they're......I dunno.
strangely though, I've grown fond of antifreeze

notorious
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I used to hate sweet potatoes, now I love them.

I think that the older a person gets, the more their taste buds wear out.

Rain Man
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
i agree; I used to love them, now they're......I dunno.
strangely though, I've grown fond of antifreeze

It's got a sweetness that's hard to resist.

evolve27
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Speaking of national chains. I'm really impressed with Applebee's new menu. Somewhat surprised at how they have altered it for the better. That sucks you had a bad exp with Chilis. I'll usually stick to a small steak if I go there.

Rain Man
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Funny you should say that. After 49 years of saying I don't like sweet potatoes, I had to issue a public retraction to my wife a couple of months ago. I had some sweet potato fries and loved them, and now I've discovered that I like cooked sweet potatoes too.

jspchief
07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
My tastes have become more refinedThis bump.

You're walking a fine line.

evolve27
07-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Funny you should say that. After 49 years of saying I don't like sweet potatoes, I had to issue a public retraction to my wife a couple of months ago. I had some sweet potato fries and loved them, and now I've discovered that I like cooked sweet potatoes too.

The taste, the texture? What is it about sweet potatoes? I never got it.

Setsuna
07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
For serious, try the pink powerade (can't remember the flavor, maybe strawberry?). It's delish.

Powerade can go eat a dick. Seriously. Screw that stuff. The purple is the best. The rich man's purple drank.

My taste in women has changed too.
Don't see how the "No Ugos" rule has changed or.....nah.

evolve27
07-19-2012, 10:25 AM
This bump.

You're walking a fine line.

Ban me then. I couldn't care. I'll do it for all the people who enjoy the taste of things in life.

notorious
07-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Ban me then. I couldn't care. I'll do it for all the people who enjoy the taste of things in life.

Like a fit, beautiful, showering woman's butthole?

Rain Man
07-19-2012, 10:33 AM
The taste, the texture? What is it about sweet potatoes? I never got it.

I think for me the appearance and the fact that they were sweet bothered me philosophically. Plus, the only time I ever had them was at Thanksgiving, and they'd be covered in marshmallow or something. They seemed weird, and I always opted for the classic, tasty mashed potatoes that would be next to them.

But man oh man, those sweet potato fries are good. Now I'm liking the sweetness. I'm tasting the yambow.

Baby Lee
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I think for me the appearance and the fact that they were sweet bothered me philosophically. Plus, the only time I ever had them was at Thanksgiving, and they'd be covered in marshmallow or something. They seemed weird, and I always opted for the classic, tasty mashed potatoes that would be next to them.

But man oh man, those sweet potato fries are good. Now I'm liking the sweetness. I'm tasting the yambow.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/sidedishcasseroles/r/bl90911u.htm

Soooo much better than yams with marshmallows. I'd add a pinch of nutmeg, though.

notorious
07-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Hold the marshmallows on my sweet potatoes.

Sonic had sweet potato tator-tots a few months ago. Wow.

lcarus
07-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I had blueberry pomegranate Gatorade the other day. It was pretty good.

Saulbadguy
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
I like fresh, raw tomatoes now. Never used to. Now I sprinkle some fresh ground garlic sea salt and fresh ground pepper = amazing.

HemiEd
07-19-2012, 11:11 AM

I tried to explain that to my daughter when she was very young, justifying why spicy food seemed so hot to her, and not to me.

To this day, she says I was telling her that my taste buds had popped, and her's would some day.

30 years later she still brings it up. :D

rageeumr
07-19-2012, 11:38 AM

Wow. I had the exact same epiphany in the last couple of months. I have always hated sweet potatoes. HATED them. Like you, I got roped into some sweet potato fries and loved them. So my wife made baked sweet potatoes with dinner one night and I loved it. No butter, no brown sugar, just plain. I realized that it was those damn marshmallows that my family would always put on the top. Marshmallows suck. Sweet potatoes rule.

Other foods that I always hated that I have realized are awesome since I turned 30: Avacados (guacamole, particularly) and peaches.

InChiefsHell
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Heh. I remember mixing like an ounce of whiskey with a can of pop to cut it...

...now I drink mah booze on ice...sometimes I'll have a mixer but to me it's a waste of whiskey.

DaneMcCloud
07-19-2012, 09:12 PM
I like fresh, raw tomatoes now. Never used to. Now I sprinkle some fresh ground garlic sea salt and fresh ground pepper = amazing.

My parents used to eat sliced tomatoes on cottage cheese with ground pepper. I used to think it was gross, now I love it.

NewChief
07-19-2012, 09:13 PM
http://southernfood.about.com/od/sidedishcasseroles/r/bl90911u.htm

Soooo much better than yams with marshmallows. I'd add a pinch of nutmeg, though.

Yup. That's pretty much my family recipe that I have to make every Thanksgiving.

That being said, sweet potatoes are a staple in my cooking. Awesome for both tacos and pizza. The secret is to cube and roast.

DaneMcCloud
07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Heh. I remember mixing like an ounce of whiskey with a can of pop to cut it...

...now I drink mah booze on ice...sometimes I'll have a mixer but to me it's a waste of whiskey.

Well, duh!

:D

NewChief
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I took my kids (4 and 7) to Thai tonight with inlaws. They ate more adventurously than their grandparents. They also always bitch about the bland cheese dip my mother in law (freaking Midwesterners) makes because she doesn't use spicy rotel.

Here is what I discovered about kids eating and trying food: they need to be hungry. Stop letting the little fuckers snack between meals constantly. They don't need that shit. Our society seems to think that eating every two hours is way to go. That's fine but if they aren't hungry they'll hold out and not try anything new.

InChiefsHell
07-20-2012, 07:56 AM
I took my kids (4 and 7) to Thai tonight with inlaws. They ate more adventurously than their grandparents. They also always bitch about the bland cheese dip my mother in law (freaking Midwesterners) makes because she doesn't use spicy rotel.

Here is what I discovered about kids eating and trying food: they need to be hungry. Stop letting the little ****ers snack between meals constantly. They don't need that shit. Our society seems to think that eating every two hours is way to go. That's fine but if they aren't hungry they'll hold out and not try anything new.

Here in Nebraska, we like the Rotels...not sure where your inlaws are from.

There's no point in making nacho cheese or cheese dip without the spice Rotels.

bevischief
07-20-2012, 08:09 AM

Yeah it is the only way. Might try adding a can of chili and spicy sausage.

patteeu
07-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I didn't like chinese food until I was about 30.

durtyrute
07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I used to hate eating the puss, but now I love it.

Saulbadguy
07-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Here is what I discovered about kids eating and trying food: they need to be hungry. Stop letting the little fuckers snack between meals constantly. They don't need that shit. Our society seems to think that eating every two hours is way to go. That's fine but if they aren't hungry they'll hold out and not try anything new.

FRUIT SNACKS JUICE BOXES ANIMAL CRACKERS LITTLE BAGGIES OF CHEERIOS BARGLHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh

NewChief
07-20-2012, 09:33 AM

They're all from Iowa originally, but they transplanted to St. Louis. Casseroles and meat/potatoes is about as crazy as it gets with them.

I never knew it, but my wife couldn't believe the level of spice/heat my family seasons with when we first started dating. Now it's the way she prefers to eat, but I never really thought of the South as being a mecca of "spicy" food growing up. Now that I pay attention, I realize that we do tend to eat our food pretty damned spicy (crushed red pepper goes on pretty much everything at the table like it's salt/pepper).

Of course, part of that is also growing up in with 3 brothers, and we all tried to outdo each other on who could eat their food the spiciest.

NewChief
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
FRUIT SNACKS JUICE BOXES ANIMAL CRACKERS LITTLE BAGGIES OF CHEERIOS BARGLHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh

No freaking shit. Fruit snacks will be the death of me.

The worst is my mother-in-law, who just encourages that shit. I was trying to get my kids to eat the quick-pickled cucumbers and carrots that came out with the their chicken satay and my mother-in-law says (where they can hear), "Oh! They won't like that. Don't give it to them." :banghead::banghead::banghead:

We're leaving for Florida today, and my wife had gone to the natural food store to load up on "healthy" snacks (granola, dried fruit, sesame sticks, etc..) from the bulk section. Then as we're leaving dinner last night, my mother-in-law passes over a huge freezer bag full of "snacks" for the road (fruit snacks, tootsie rolls, pringles, suckers, etc...). :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I love her to death, but the way she undermines our attempts to instill healthy and open-minded eating in our kids makes me freaking nuts.

InChiefsHell
07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
No freaking shit. Fruit snacks will be the death of me.

The worst is my mother-in-law, who just encourages that shit. I was trying to get my kids to eat the quick-pickled cucumbers and carrots that came out with the their chicken satay and my mother-in-law says (where they can hear), "Oh! They won't like that. Don't give it to them." :banghead::banghead::banghead:

We're leaving for Florida today, and my wife had gone to the natural food store to load up on "healthy" snacks (granola, dried fruit, sesame sticks, etc..) from the bulk section. Then as we're leaving dinner last night, my mother-in-law passes over a huge freezer bag full of "snacks" for the road (fruit snacks, tootsie rolls, pringles, suckers, etc...). :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I love her to death, but the way she undermines our attempts to instill healthy and open-minded eating in our kids makes me freaking nuts.

Nuthin' but sympathy there brutha. I love my mother in law, but both she and my father in law were terrible about that. My kids have grown up relatively well adjusted and in good physical shape...but still. Pissed me off to no end.

InChiefsHell
07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
They're all from Iowa originally, but they transplanted to St. Louis. Casseroles and meat/potatoes is about as crazy as it gets with them.

I never knew it, but my wife couldn't believe the level of spice/heat my family seasons with when we first started dating. Now it's the way she prefers to eat, but I never really thought of the South as being a mecca of "spicy" food growing up. Now that I pay attention, I realize that we do tend to eat our food pretty damned spicy (crushed red pepper goes on pretty much everything at the table like it's salt/pepper).

Of course, part of that is also growing up in with 3 brothers, and we all tried to outdo each other on who could eat their food the spiciest.

My dad is of Spanish origin (not Mexican, nttawwt) and spice is something he likes alot. But I will say, there are a lot of people here at least that I hang out with who really dig the spice.

...must be an Iowa thing...:D

Just Passin' By
07-20-2012, 01:32 PM
It's mac and cheese for me. I could eat that all day as a kid. Today, just a whiff of it can trigger the heaves.

Demonpenz
07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
old gatorade didn't have sugar in it.