PDA

View Full Version : Life Cost associated with wisdom teeth removal?

El Jefe
08-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Anyone here have an idea on what the cost would be on having 4 wisdom teeth removed? I have dental and medical insurance, but am curious to see if anyone has had it done recently and how much it cost. She will be going under to get the procedure done.

mlyonsd
08-04-2011, 10:30 AM
How long is a piece of string?

Lots of factors...if you need a surgeon, etc.

swayy07
08-04-2011, 10:32 AM
when i was suppose to get mine removed a few months ago the cost was around $1600 and considering i dont have dental insurance and have no credit history since ive never had a credit card before, i get to wait to save up the money to get them removed.

Frazod
08-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Three months ago I paid $622 out of pocket for a fucking crown. Without insurance it would have been $1,200.

Prepare to get raped.

phisherman
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
It cost me about 700 when i had mine done, probably 5-6 years ago.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
About $275 per tooth, and another $200 for the gas.

blaise
08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
My wife had it done recently. I can't remember the cost, but I think she was able to get some supplemental dental insurance beforehand and reduce the cost somehow.

tooge
08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
If you have insurance, you are probably looking at about $200 out of pocket if you haven't spent any for this year.

lcarus
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
It cost me 1300 dollars with no insurance.

luv
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure the price is something they'll go over with you before the procedure. If she's covered, you should also be able to talk with your insurance agent, tell them what they need to know, and they will tell you how much it will be for you out-of-pocket.

Mr. Laz
08-04-2011, 10:48 AM
also depends on whether they are impacted etc

1moreTRich
08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
So weird this pops up, I am getting all four of mine out today :huh:

Mine are all impacted and I have to go under to get them out. The price without insurance would have been $2,124, with insurance I will be out of pocket about $850.

Frazod
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Mine are all impacted and I have to go under to get them out. The price without insurance would have been $2,124, with insurance I will be out of pocket about $850.

Eww. You win the ChiefsPlanet Shittiest Day Award.

El Jefe
08-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Ouch, I have a feeling she will be in the same area (all are impacted), but thankfully we do have pretty good insurance. I was hoping it wouldn't cost us more than $1200. I was just trying to get an idea, I have a consultation set up, but was just curious, thanks!

Frazod
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Seems like where you live will be an important factor. Small town, lower price. Big city, bend over.

luv
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Eww. You win the ChiefsPlanet Shittiest Day Award.

No shit. I hope he survives not eating for a week.

lcarus
08-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Mine were impacted really bad, and I had to go under too. But it took the doctors almost no time, and the pain was very minimal. The doc said they came right out. Also...I was eating solid foods pretty soon after.

tooge
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
one of the largest parts of the cost is the general anesthesia. If you man up and just go with a little valium and local anesthetic, you will save yourself a couple hundred bucks minimum.

btlook1
08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Very true...a little happy gas and a shot 20 mins later out the door $100 bucks lighter...I ask my dentist if I can take a bottle of happy gas home with me every visit...

Lzen
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I just had my top 2 wisdom teeth removed a few months ago. It only cost me about $60 or $70 out of pocket. Guess my insurance is pretty good on wisdom teeth.

Lzen
08-04-2011, 11:47 AM
one of the largest parts of the cost is the general anesthesia. If you man up and just go with a little valium and local anesthetic, you will save yourself a couple hundred bucks minimum.

Oh, that explains why mine was so cheap.

vailpass
08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
If you haven't done so you would want to have your dentist pre-certify with your insurance. This verifies coverage and determines your co-pay. I thought this was mandatory at doctor/dentist before a procedure?

loochy
08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
a million dollars

raybec 4
08-04-2011, 12:20 PM
a million dollars

Or 2, sell your house, you're fucked

loochy
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Or 2, sell your house, you're fucked

yeah, pretty much this

just do it yourself:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1rj-fbaFiGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus
08-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Dude I'm not even gonna attempt to watch that. It seems.....argh. Tough to watch.

loochy
08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Dude I'm not even gonna attempt to watch that. It seems.....argh. Tough to watch.

Didn't MOhillbilly do a tooth self extraction a few years back? You might want to ask him for some advice.

Bump
08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
it costs this much because they need to cover the costs of people without insurance. Which makes it 100% okay

/cp

loochy
08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
it costs this much because they need to cover the costs of people without insurance. Which makes it 100% okay

/cp

Not so much for dentists. They can refuse to take patients, unlike hospital emergency rooms.

You are welcome to open up a goodwill dentistry practice if you like.

Earthling
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
A case of Corona and I'll do it for ya....Oh and a "How to" book would be helpful.

Molitoth
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I'll eat all the pain killer leftovers...

|Zach|
08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
When I was like...20 or so I had my wisdom teeth removed. They told me to take these drugs before hand that would take effect right about the time everything started.

I was all weird and druggy and my old man was driving me there and I guess he thought it would be funny to fuck with me so he told me if this all went well I would get a puppy.

So I get there...everything goes well...I come to. They ask me how I was feeling...and told me everything went well.

I told them I was feeling pretty good and that "I wanted my puppy"

The lady looked at me confused. "We....don't have any pets around here."

"I was told when I was done with this I was going to get am dog. I want my puppy now"

The lady is so confused and just like... "You are at a dentist office...we don't have any dogs around here"

I guess these shenanigans continued...I am sure the sight of an adult male demanding his puppy was pretty funny.

I get shit every single time I go to the dentist now.

loochy
08-04-2011, 12:46 PM
When I was like...20 or so I had my wisdom teeth removed. They told me to take these drugs before hand that would take effect right about the time everything started.

I was all weird and druggy and my old man was driving me there and I guess he thought it would be funny to fuck with me so he told me if this all went well I would get a puppy.

So I get there...everything goes well...I come to. They ask me how I was feeling...and told me everything went well.

I told them I was feeling pretty good and that "I wanted my puppy"

The lady looked at me confused. "We....don't have any pets around here."

"I was told when I was done with this I was going to get am dog. I want my puppy now"

The lady is so confused and just like... "You are at a dentist office...we don't have any dogs around here"

I guess these shenanigans continued...I am sure the sight of an adult male demanding his puppy was pretty funny.

I get shit every single time I go to the dentist now.

Dude, I want a puppy.

|Zach|
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Dude, I want a puppy.

I was told I was going to get a puppy.

Serious business.

loochy
08-04-2011, 12:50 PM
For Zach:

http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/nature/wallpapers/beagle-puppy.jpg

Dayze
08-04-2011, 12:56 PM
i got light-headed after watching that video. lol.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 01:04 PM
my bro pulled mine.

bevischief
08-04-2011, 01:06 PM
$10K.

suzzer99
08-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I had one that always bothered me but the other 3 were fine. I had to fight the orthopedic surgeon twice to not take them all out - once when we agreed to only take the one out, and again when I showed up for the surgery. It was like battling with a used car salesman. I finally asked him "What are the risks of not doing all 4 now?". His reply: "Uh, well you might have to come back and do them later". Ugh.

Long story short, I got one removed. It sucked as expected but was manageable. The procedure was really painful and the recovery was lots of pain and getting stuff stuck in the hole. Basically I can't imagine how annoying/painful all that would have been x4. It would have been a nightmare.

That was 8 years ago and I still have never had a problem with the other 3.

tooge
08-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I've numbed myself up, but never taken my own tooth out. No thanks.

loochy
08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
my bro pulled mine.

What was the total cost of that little operation?

Bump
08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Not so much for dentists. They can refuse to take patients, unlike hospital emergency rooms.

You are welcome to open up a goodwill dentistry practice if you like.

no thanks, my beliefs differ from the majority. I believe that you shouldn't be forced to die because the hospital wants to charge a million dollars or go bankrupt if it only costs a few hundred K. What most people don't understand is that hospitals and healthcare is a for profit business and human lives are not important, only their bottom lines are and will let anybody die if their insurance drops them (which they will when you need it most). But I'm in the minority on that belief. It's all fine and dandy and nothing is wrong with profit-care at all, right.

MatriculatingHank
08-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Don't let any wise ass friends or family do this to you:

LQD2y-ZL8s0

loochy
08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
no thanks, my beliefs differ from the majority. I believe that you shouldn't be forced to die because the hospital wants to charge a million dollars or go bankrupt if it only costs a few hundred K. What most people don't understand is that hospitals and healthcare is a for profit business and human lives are not important, only their bottom lines are and will let anybody die if their insurance drops them (which they will when you need it most). But I'm in the minority on that belief. It's all fine and dandy and nothing is wrong with profit-care at all, right.

Yeah, pretty much. Insurance is also a for profit business.

You are free to open up a goodwill hospital if you like.

Bump
08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah, pretty much. Insurance is also a for profit business.

You are free to open up a goodwill hospital if you like.

you say that like it's nothing. Fact is healthcare ruins people's lives even when they have insurance. Ignorance is bliss right? Working in the health care business, whether doctors, insurance, pharma, whatever, is like selling your soul to the devil. Profiting BIG TIME off of people suffering and getting to play God must be fun for them. I hope the death panel comes for you someday and tells you that you have to die because your insurance company doesn't want to pay the 10 million dollars it would take for a few hours of a doctors time, because it surely is worth that much right?

El Jefe
08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
If you haven't done so you would want to have your dentist pre-certify with your insurance. This verifies coverage and determines your co-pay. I thought this was mandatory at doctor/dentist before a procedure?

I said earlier in the thread I already have a consultation set up, and after I will get a pre-determination of cost through my insurance. I was asking strictly out of curiousity.

loochy
08-04-2011, 02:12 PM
you say that like it's nothing. Fact is healthcare ruins people's lives even when they have insurance. Ignorance is bliss right? Working in the health care business, whether doctors, insurance, pharma, whatever, is like selling your soul to the devil. Profiting BIG TIME off of people suffering and getting to play God must be fun for them. I hope the death panel comes for you someday and tells you that you have to die because your insurance company doesn't want to pay the 10 million dollars it would take for a few hours of a doctors time, because it surely is worth that much right?

So what do you want me to do about it? Should I start whining all the time? Would that fix it?

I'm looking at this from a matter of fact perspective. It would be great if there was some amazing universal benefactor that would pay for all of our stuff, but there's not. Greed is a basic human trait and it's here to stay.

tooge
08-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Really? Don't bother to call ME next time you have an ACCIDENT and knock your two front teeth out. See, I work for the DEBILLLLLLL.

loochy
08-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Really? Don't bother to call ME next time you have an ACCIDENT and knock your two front teeth out. See, I work for the DEBILLLLLLL.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/11/4/56a9725d-9315-4d07-a43c-4b61dfb8fa72.jpg

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 02:33 PM

Do you really? Whats that like?:evil:

loochy
08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Do you really? Whats that like?:evil:

I bet he's a tough boss. Is he a micromanager?

seclark
08-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I bet he's a tough boss. Is he a micromanager?

he doesn't get pissed when you tell him to go to hell.
sec

Sofa King
08-04-2011, 02:39 PM
i have 1 wisdom tooth trying to come it. Doesn't appear to be room. Been where it's at for a long time now. Like a year.

How much is a cavity cost to fill?

loochy
08-04-2011, 02:41 PM
i have 1 wisdom tooth trying to come it. Doesn't appear to be room. Been where it's at for a long time now. Like a year.

I think I remember seeing on my last bill it was about $300...I think.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 02:45 PM

pends on what ya fill it with. I fill mine with Kentucky Bourbon and its a couple grand a year.

loochy
08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
pends on what ya fill it with. I fill mine with Kentucky Bourbon and its a couple grand a year.

Wow. You should buy in bulk....just get a cask or something.

Lzen
08-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Don't let any wise ass friends or family do this to you:

LQD2y-ZL8s0

ROFL

istas
08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
About $1600 for all 4.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Wow. You should buy in bulk....just get a cask or something.

scrunches face- then i might drink it all in one sittin.