PDA

View Full Version : Science 'Breathable' Oxygen Found In Space

4th and Long
08-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Yet another new discovery. :thumb:

'Breathable' Oxygen Found In Space

NASA Spots Elusive Oxygen Molecules For First Time

NASA says it's discovered proof of oxygen molecules in space for the first time.

The discovery by the large telescope at the Herschel Space Observatory marks the first time the life-giving molecule has ever been found in deep space, according to NASA.

"Individual atoms of oxygen are common in space, particularly around massive stars," NASA officials said in a statement. "But molecular oxygen, which makes up about 20 percent of the air we breathe, has eluded astronomers until now."

http://blogs.discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341bf67c53ef0133ec64ea77970b-800wi

The molecules were found in a star-forming part of the constellation of Orion, according to the BBC. The Discover Magazine blog reported that the discovered oxygen "may have formed after starlight heated the dust and released water, which then broke down into the detected oxygen molecules."

According to the BBC, the find will be published in The Astrophysical Journal.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/28764349/detail.html

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Pretty cool story. Mostly I just didn't want 4th to think no one cared.

nstygma
08-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Herschel has found the first robust evidence of molecular oxygen in the Orion Nebula. The observed abundance is ten times larger than indicated by previous observations of other molecular clouds, but is still well below theoretical expectations. The results suggest that, in special circumstances, the heat from newborn stars can liberate oxygen frozen out on dust grains, thus increasing the amount of molecular oxygen able to form in warm, dense gas clouds.

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=49008

4th and Long
08-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Pretty cool story. Mostly I just didn't want 4th to think no one cared.
When our sun goes red giant and all life pn this planet is destroyed, I'll be hanging out around the Orion nebula, breathing perfectly good oxygen, while the rest of the non-caring CP member are burnt to a crisp. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
08-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I guess it's cool and all, but I don't know why it's a surprise. Probably every element we know of and a bunch we don't know of are out there.

ThatRaceCardGuy
08-06-2011, 03:08 PM
The DC lounge crew will blame President Obama for this.

GoHuge
08-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm not much into astronomy, but isn't all oxygen breathable? Is there a non-breathable oxygen we should all avoid like the plague?

Saul Good
08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
I guess it's cool and all, but I don't know why it's a surprise. Probably every element we know of and a bunch we don't know of are out there.

There really aren't elements that we don't know of. Anything beyond what is on our periodic table would only last for about a millionth of a second.

Saul Good
08-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm not much into astronomy, but isn't all oxygen breathable? Is there a non-breathable oxygen we should all avoid like the plague?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kRVwcPTnug8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious
08-06-2011, 03:43 PM
The DC lounge crew will blame President Obama for this.

Take that shit to DC where you belong.

tiptap
08-06-2011, 03:54 PM
The nucleus of 8 protons and 8 neutrons of elemental oxygen can be found on our sun. NO ELECTRONS just the nucleus. And if released into space it will capture electrons and be a very reactive (as in oxidizer) atom that could combined with lots of different elements say Hydrogen to form water. Molecular O2 is made up of two oxygen atoms and that is molecular oxygen and what is in our atmosphere and the focus of discussion of article. Molecular oxygen

notorious
08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
The nucleus of 8 protons and 8 neutrons of elemental oxygen can be found on our sun. NO ELECTRONS just the nucleus. And if released into space it will capture electrons and be a very reactive (as in oxidizer) atom that could combined with lots of different elements say Hydrogen to form water. Molecular O2 is made up of two oxygen atoms and that is molecular oxygen and what is in our atmosphere and the focus of discussion of article. Molecular oxygen

Thank you Professor.

;)

BossChief
08-06-2011, 05:18 PM
If you look really closely, you can see Dane McCloud in the middle of that cloud, flipping us off with a sign that says "go fist your mother".

Donger
08-06-2011, 05:31 PM

I wouldn't recommend trying to breath liquid oxygen.

notorious
08-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't recommend trying to breath liquid oxygen.

Ed Harris disagrees with this message.

Donger
08-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Ed Harris disagrees with this message.

That wasn't liquid oxygen.

notorious
08-06-2011, 05:58 PM
That wasn't liquid oxygen.

Refresh my memory.

bowener
08-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Maybe this is why the pyramids mirror the Orion constellation...

Easy 6
08-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Big week for space discoveries, if you count the now almost infallible evidence of flowing water on Mars.

Wish 'they' would come clean on all of the other things they know about space.

4th and Long
08-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Maybe this is why the pyramids mirror the Orion constellation...
?

The constellation Orion looks nothing like a pyramid.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
08-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Big week for space discoveries, if you count the now almost infallible evidence of flowing water on Mars.

Wish 'they' would come clean on all of the other things they know about space.

All of those 50's SciFi aliens......yep they are real.

bowener
08-06-2011, 08:09 PM
?

The constellation Orion looks nothing like a pyramid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure if serious...

But, in case you are, I said 'pyramids' and the pyramids at Giza are in the same layout as Orion's belt.

4th and Long
08-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Not sure if serious...

But, in case you are, I said 'pyramids' and the pyramids at Giza are in the same layout as Orion's belt.
Now you are changing your story. First you said Orion and now you say Orion's belt. Either way you are still incorrect. The stars in Orion's belt are neither in a perfectly straight alignment nor spaced evenly apart, although to the amateur eye, they may appear that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Param
08-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Send a rover there ASAP was my first thought.

Will these be future oxygen stations, ala gas stations today, in the future for humans? Obviously, a long time from now.

Easy 6
08-06-2011, 10:36 PM
All of those 50's SciFi aliens......yep they are real.

By all means, keep your head in the sand, its much simpler that way.

Easy 6
08-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Send a rover there ASAP was my first thought.

Will these be future oxygen stations, ala gas stations today, in the future for humans? Obviously, a long time from now.

Honestly, i'd bet we've already had a rover there.

Yes.

beach tribe
08-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Now you are changing your story. First you said Orion and now you say Orion's belt. Either way you are still incorrect. The stars in Orion's belt are neither in a perfectly straight alignment nor spaced evenly apart, although to the amateur eye, they may appear that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Neither are the pyramids. they are perfectly proportionate to Orion's belt.
http://doernenburg.alien.de/alternativ/orion/ori00_e.php

J Diddy
08-07-2011, 07:30 AM
When our sun goes red giant and all life pn this planet is destroyed, I'll be hanging out around the Orion nebula, breathing perfectly good oxygen, while the rest of the non-caring CP member are burnt to a crisp. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Brother please do me the favor and give me the gps locations for the fountain of youth that you have found.