PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Baldwin’s focus is on getting better (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/05/3059947/baldwins-focus-is-on-getting-better.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | The pressure already was weighing on Jonathan Baldwin. He was feeling it.

Baldwin, the Chiefs’ first-round draft pick, a 6-foot-4, 230-pound wide receiver from the University of Pittsburgh, signed his contract eight days ago, joining his new teammates and facing the expectations that no rookie — especially an early draft pick — can avoid.

Earlier this week, Baldwin said he was ready for this challenge.

“Every day they pick out a few rookies who have to sing,” Baldwin said. “So I think today is my day.

“I’ve got a couple of hours to figure out what I’m going to sing.”

It was the first test for Baldwin, whose career will come with expectations and questions, particularly after he called out his former college quarterback and criticized his coaches. Baldwin said he was prepared for whatever lay ahead, whether that’s singing in a hazing ritual at a team meeting or playing his first NFL game as the Chiefs’ likely No. 2 receiver.

“Only thing I can do, only thing I can control now is how hard I work,” he said. “I really can’t say anything about what everybody else says. I’m just going to continue to do the things that I’ve been doing.”

Coach Todd Haley said his newest project — he was a receivers coach before becoming a coordinator and head coach, and he still takes an interest in wideouts — appears to have the tools necessary to be a standout NFL player. Baldwin is big and fast, and Haley said there’s more to Baldwin than the speed limit often associated with being a possession receiver.

“The indicators are good,” Haley said. “Speed is not an issue. I think it’s easy to just say he’s a big possession guy. Until we get going and pads are on and these guys get their legs under them, I don’t know that we’ll see really all that’s there.”

Haley said he caught a glimpse of Baldwin’s focus on Tuesday, the team’s day off. Haley was headed toward the Chiefs’ offices at the Griffon Indoor Sports Complex at Missouri Western, and there was Baldwin, hoofing back to the team’s dormitory, on the hottest day of the year.

When Baldwin could’ve stayed in the air conditioning, ignoring coaches’ suggestions that players take care of their bodies, he spent time proving that he not only can catch and run. He can follow his coaches’ instructions, too.

“Good signs that a guy is focused in the right place, and he wants to succeed,” Haley said. “I’m getting late-night texts from him, and those are all good signs.

“I felt good when I saw a guy not worrying about much else other than doing the things that we’re asking him to do.”

Baldwin spent Friday in the team’s conditioning area after appearing to suffer a leg injury a day earlier. Haley has said he plans to take a cautious approach with all injuries.

Baldwin caught 127 passes for 2,325 yards in three seasons at Pittsburgh. He raised concerns before the NFL combine, being quoted by a website that he thought his coaches were “purposely trying to disrupt my draft stock.”

He showed no such signs of outspokenness this week, when he was short and direct with his answers. He wouldn’t even reveal who his NFL idols are, saying he preferred to avoid answering that question.

Whatever baggage he might have picked up in Pittsburgh, Baldwin connected enough with the Chiefs that they were willing to draft him. Not only that, Baldwin has connected with Kansas City’s fans, too. His Twitter page has more than 8,000 followers, and he occasionally tweets about the Chiefs and his expectations.

He did share one goal:

“Win the Super Bowl,” he said. “Same goal as everybody else.”

Not long after that, Baldwin headed toward the locker room, where he said he would decide on a song to serenade his teammates with that afternoon.

“I’m going to get it going in the locker room in a little bit,” he said, turning the conversation briefly back to football. “I try to do everything. I don’t want to do just one thing. I just try to work hard at everything.

“You’ve got to do all the little things, extra, working extra, just doing all the things that you can to make yourself different.”

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Just delete it now dude before the repost police come out in the morning. I read it again though ftr.

Tribal Warfare
08-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Just delete it now dude before the repost police come out in the morning. I read it again though ftr.

fuck em, they usually don't do the hyperlink format correctly anyway

Saul Good
08-06-2011, 04:32 PM
This is the kind of hard-hitting reporting that makes the KC Star great.

Easy 6
08-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Its funny how Baldwin wont reveal his favorite players... good grief kiddo, just say it, almost like he's afraid it might bring down some unknown heat if he says something like 'Moss & TO' or whatever.

Blabb has a good feel for putting a human spin on his work.

BossChief
08-06-2011, 09:13 PM
In his combine interview, he went for a minute or so about how he loves Larry Fitzgerald and numerous reasons why.

he went to Pitt. so that doesnt come as a surprise...but if he says that Larry was his favorite player now, people will just think its because of the Haley connection and downplay it.

FTR, its a great interview...this kid is gonna be an all-pro. I think he pushes Bowe to the #2 spot at one point or another.

Heres the interview Im talking about...

http://pittsburgh.scout.com/2/1051091.html

Reerun_KC
08-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Babb: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better

:facepalm:

Where do people come up with this... OF course he is focusing on getting better? WTf you think he is doing in camp? God people actually read this shit?

milkman
08-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Babb: Baldwin’s focus is on getting better

:facepalm:

Where do people come up with this... OF course he is focusing on getting better? WTf you think he is doing in camp? God people actually read this shit?

Uh....Maybe you should read it before making stupid comments.

BossChief
08-06-2011, 09:24 PM
The writer isnt at fault in this case, its whoever writes the title.

Whoever writes the titles at the star needs replaced worse that Vrabel last year.

milkman
08-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Whoever writes the titles at the star needs replaced worse that Vrabel last year.

No one is at fault.

This is about maintaining his focus on the field, and not letting outside distractions create controversy, like it did late in the season and leading up to the draft, which left people questioning his character and work ethic.

The title is fine.

Reerun_KC
08-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Uh....Maybe you should read it before making stupid comments.

Uh No... I dont need to read about a professional ball player wanting to get better...

:spock:

milkman
08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Uh No... I dont need to read about a professional ball player wanting to get better...

:spock:

You, my friend, are a true dumbass.

BryanBusby
08-06-2011, 10:05 PM

Headline writers for The Star are fucking atrocious.

Reerun_KC
08-06-2011, 10:24 PM
You, my friend, are a true dumbass.

At least I am not sucking the teet of Babbs article holding on to every word and period of the article...

Each to their own..

Stupid fucking headline and for the most part a "no shit" article..

Next youre going to tell me that Tiecher is going to break some football news...

milkman
08-06-2011, 10:29 PM
At least I am not sucking the teet of Babbs article holding on to every word and period of the article...

Each to their own..

Stupid ****ing headline and for the most part a "no shit" article..

Next youre going to tell me that Tiecher is going to break some football news...

Who's sucking teet?

I read the article.

If I had not read it, I might have made a stupid comment like you did.

There was nothing ground breaking or earth shattering in the article, but I didn't look like an ignorant ass making stupid, uninformed comments.

Reerun_KC
08-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Who's sucking teet?

I read the article.

If I had not read it, I might have made a stupid comment like you did.

There was nothing ground breaking or earth shattering in the article, but I didn't look like an ignorant ass making stupid, uninformed comments.

:thumb:

suzzer99
08-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Somewhat more detailed (and wildly optimistic) take on Baldwin from AP: http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/8/6/2348157/some-bold-predictions#storyjump

Bold Prediction- Jonathan Baldwin is going to be better than I (and many of us) originally thought

When we drafted Baldwin, I was like, "Hmmmmm... Well, OK I guess."

My opinion didn't really change as I read through scouting reports and listened to what other Chiefs fans had to say. But I have been wooed. I have been swayed. And yes, this is based entirely off a ton of highlights and a little more than a week of camp. Sue me.

You know what really got me when I was watching his highlights? The fact that he didn't even look like he belonged out there with college players. He looked like some high school senior who decided to play ball with the 8th grade team. The guy is a monster. Just a freakish combination of size and speed. He's Calvin Johnson huge. You see pictures and videos of him standing by Dwayne Bowe (who is himself a big, physical receiver) and he makes Bowe look average-sized. Just ridiculous.

Another thing that stood out to me when I watched his highlights. His quarterbacks were TERRIBLE. I mean, I know it's been mentioned here more than once. But they were so bad it bears repeating here. In fact, I'll even repeat my repetition. His quarterbacks were TERRIBLE. A lot of the catches that made his highlight films shouldn't have been highlights. But the throws were so horrible that Baldwin had to make a stud play just to get to the ball. Half the time he snatched away what looked like a sure pick from a corner (who you could just tell was thinking, "What the &%$# is coach doing having me cover this guy? Dude's ten feet tall and jumps like a pogo stick on a trampoline. Seriously, what the &%$# am I supposed to do? Take out his knees?").

I know Cassel isn't (insert whatever QB floats your boat here), but I can tell you right now he's about 100x better than any QB Baldwin had throing him the ball in college. That alone is going to help him. Also (crossing myself and locking all the doors to my house), having had to adjust to poorly thrown balls in the past is something that will help Baldwin do well with Cassel. Because sometimes Cassel makes some pretty crappy throws. Please don't kill me. I have a family.

What Baldwin's been doing at camp (at least according to the awesome reports we've been getting from those here at AP, as well as from Gretz and others) has sealed it for me in a I-know-this-is-premature-but-who-cares kind of way.

First, he's been giving a ton of effort. Given that the supposed question mark with him was effort, this is huge. Pretty much every scouting report said something to this effect: "If Baldwin puts his head down and does the work, there isn't much a ceiling for him even at the pro level. But will he?" Well, it's only a week in, but so far he is. I'm going to not exaggerate at all and decide this means he's going to put in that kind of effort his entire career (see with the logic?).

Second, he's already making it a point to own a shorter CB in Javier Arenas at camp. No disrespect, Javy. I love how physical you are, how you return punts, and how well you progressed last year as a nickel CB. But from what I've read Baldwin's been having no trouble with you. And you know what? It makes me happy (of course, I'd be a lot less happy if Arenas was our starting CB. Then it'd be more concern than happiness). Most corners in the NFL are in that 5'9" to 5'11" range. Baldwin is going to feast on them on 3rd downs and in the red zone. Or with any jump ball situation for that matter.

Maybe those two things don't seem like a lot, but hey, it's all I've got after a week, other than my own gut feeling (of course, my gut also says that Powe is going to surprise everyone by taking more and more snaps from Kelly Gregg as the year progresses. And that Allen Bailey is going to wrench playing time from someone. And that Justin Houston, despite everything, will get at least 7 sacks this season. So there's a slight possibility my gut is just a crazy stinkin' homer). But I see Baldwin as doing way more than what we originally thought when we drafted him. You know what, let's make a stats prediction! I'm gonna go with 59 catches for 985 yards and at least mention in the ROY talk.

C'mon, tell me that isn't a bold prediction!

SNR
08-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Somewhat more detailed (and wildly optimistic) take on Baldwin from AP: http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/8/6/2348157/some-bold-predictions#storyjumpI see a lot of Larry Fitz in the guy. I think we've got a really special player here.

How's this for bold: Jon Baldwin will have the best career out of all the WRs in this draft. Suck on that, Knowmo.