PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I think we all agree that this team...

milkman
08-07-2011, 09:06 AM
...needs more depth and competion at OT.

At this point, the only real avenue remaining to address that need is camp and preseason cuts.

So who are the teams that have some depth at the position that might cut an OT or 2 that could help this team?

Baconeater
08-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Shit, don't ask me. I was hoping that you would know.

SuperChief
08-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I completely agree. A nice OT (or two) addition would really put a bow on an already great FA for the Chiefs, IMO.

milkman
08-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Shit, don't ask me. I was hoping that you would know.

I have some thoughts on this, but I was looking to see if anyone else had some ideas before I said anything.

But just a quick glance tells me that teams that have some players that might get cut who can helphere, without going into detail, are Philly, Miami, New Orleans and Buffalo.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 09:15 AM
What's the more pressing need? Right now I'd say a right tackle over left.

milkman
08-07-2011, 09:19 AM
What's the more pressing need? Right now I'd say a right tackle over left.

I would argue that both Albert and Richardson are capable of taking their game up a notch, but we can rely on neither to do so.

So there is no real way to know which is the most pressing need right now.

The pressing need is to find a guy that can compete for either spot, and provide depth at both.

Von Dumbass
08-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I have some thoughts on this, but I was looking to see if anyone else had some ideas before I said anything.

But just a quick glance tells me that teams that have some players that might get cut who can helphere, without going into detail, are Philly, Miami, New Orleans and Buffalo.

Philly was starting an undrafted free agent at RT before they signed Ryan Harris and their original starter at RT is on PUP. I don't know who you would hope to scavenge off of them.

HotRoute
08-07-2011, 09:22 AM
when i go back and watch film of richardson play i am surprised at the level of play he actually brings to the table. I know its not a very popular belief on this site but he isnt absolute dogshit like some want you to believe.

And as far as the depth goes, Mims & O'Callaghan arent doing too bad in camp so far. But you are absolutely right depth and development is the key to success in the NFL. Especially coming off ot the lockout, there are going to be a ton of injuries, and the chiefs FO needs to be prepared for that

milkman
08-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Philly was starting an undrafted free agent at RT before they signed Ryan Harris and their original starter at RT is on PUP. I don't know who you would hope to scavenge off of them.

The Eagles, along with Harris, have Jason Peters, Winston Justice (who has never played up to his draft position).

They also have three young guys that would be better than the guys we have right now in Fenoki Tupou, Austin Howard and King Dunlop.

Which one of those guys is on PUP?

And really, who cares about PUP at this juncture?

milkman
08-07-2011, 09:31 AM
when i go back and watch film of richardson play i am surprised at the level of play he actually brings to the table. I know its not a very popular belief on this site but he isnt absolute dogshit like some want you to believe.

And as far as the depth goes, Mims & O'Callaghan arent doing too bad in camp so far. But you are absolutely right depth and development is the key to success in the NFL. Especially coming off ot the lockout, there are going to be a ton of injuries, and the chiefs FO needs to be prepared for that

I have been a big supporter of Richardson, but he needs to be more consistent and remain focused.

The best way to get him to achieve is to get him some competition, and O'Callaghan isn't the answer.

Von Dumbass
08-07-2011, 09:37 AM
The Eagles, along with Harris, have Jason Peters, Winston Justice (who has never played up to his draft position).

They also have three young guys that would be better than the guys we have right now in Fenoki Tupou, Austin Howard and King Dunlop.

Which one of those guys is on PUP?

And really, who cares about PUP at this juncture?

OT Winston Justice had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in February, an injury that is limiting his ability to practice. He could be ready to return to the lineup by Week One, which is Sept. 11.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/24825

I heard right after they signed Ryan Harris that Justice wouldn't be back until week 6 though.

milkman
08-07-2011, 09:40 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/24825

I heard right after they signed Ryan Harris that Justice wouldn't be back until week 6 though.

Even if true, that still leaves 5 guys to fill 4 roster spots potentially.

I really liked Topou coming out last year, and Howard showed some promise in the two or three games he played in last year.

Even Dunlop showed some promise, though he really struggled.

Ace Gunner
08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Barry R is a fine back up at LT if Albert isn't going. In fact, with Albert out last season, LT Barry R and RT Ryan O helped the Chiefs to a 500 yard offense during the game in Seattle.

I liked Dunlap as a prospect - he's a RT type to me, but he's a little wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPFFTWLun0

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/34/340496.jpg

milkman
08-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Barry R is a fine back up at LT if Albert isn't going. In fact, with Albert out last season, LT Barry R and RT Ryan O helped the Chiefs to a 500 yard offense during the game in Seattle.

I liked Dunlap as a prospect - he's a RT type to me, but he's a little wild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPFFTWLun0

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/34/340496.jpg

I have been, as I said, a big supporter of Richardson.

I think the kid has the tools to be a good tackle on either side.

He, however, has to remain focused.

I think competition would help him to maintain that focus.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 10:08 AM
If we are to truly find what teams will likely release a vet offensive tackle, the easiest way to do so would be to look at what teams drafted OTs.

Ill do a little research into this and see what I come up with.

milkman
08-07-2011, 10:09 AM
If we are to truly find what teams will likely release a vet offensive tackle, the easiest way to do so would be to look at what teams drafted OTs.

Ill do a little research into this and see what I come up with.

You also have to look at what teams did in free agency, i.e. the Dolphins bringing in Marc Colombo.

Rausch
08-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I have been, as I said, a big supporter of Richardson.

I think the kid has the tools to be a good tackle on either side.

He, however, has to remain focused.

I think competition would help him to maintain that focus.

He's a fine B/U RT but I don't want him starting...

BossChief
08-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Tyron Smith OT USC 1 9(9) Dallas

Nate Solder OT Colorado 1 17(17) New England

Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College 1 22(22) Indianapolis

Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin 1 29(29) Chicago

Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State 1 32(32) Green Bay

Benjamin Ijalana OT Villanova 2 17(49) Indianapolis

Marcus Gilbert OT Florida 2 31(63) Pittsburgh

Jah Reid OT UCF 3 21(85) Baltimore

Joe Barksdale OT LSU 3 28(92) Oakland

James Brewer OT Indiana 4 20(117) NY Giants

Chris Hairston OT Clemson 4 25(122) Buffalo

Marcus Cannon OT TCU 5 7(138) New England

Jason Pinkston OT Pittsburgh 5 19(150) Cleveland

Demarcus Love OT Arkansas 6 3(168) Minnesota

Byron Stingily OT Louisville 6 10(175) Tennessee

Johnny Culbreath OT South Carolina State 7 6(209) Detroit

Derek Newton OT Arkansas State 7 11(214) Houston

Michael Person OT Montana State 7 36(239) San Francisco

Lee Ziemba OT Auburn 7 41(244) Carolina

Theres a start...now, the next step would have to be to examine what these teams have at OT prior to the draft and how these teams are doping in regards to their current cap figure.

milkman
08-07-2011, 10:18 AM
He's a fine B/U RT but I don't want him starting...

If he ever maintains focus, he is more than a fine B/U.

Rausch
08-07-2011, 10:20 AM
If he ever maintains focus, he is more than a fine B/U.

He can't.

It's why he's a B/U...

BossChief
08-07-2011, 10:22 AM
We are looking, according to rotoworld we made a contract offer to Jamaal Brown before he re-signed a 5 year contract with the Redskins.

Thats too bad, he would have been a damn good get.

milkman
08-07-2011, 10:23 AM
He can't.

It's why he's a B/U...

He can't?

How do you know he can't?

It might well come as part of the maturation process, and the fact is, he has been pretty immature since coming into the league.

But he has matured a little with each season.

Rausch
08-07-2011, 10:26 AM
He can't?

How do you know he can't?

It might well come as part of the maturation process, and the fact is, he has been pretty immature since coming into the league.

But he has matured a little with each season.

There is no downside to him growing into the RT spot.

None.

I'd love it if he could.

There's a reason he hasn't.

His explosion on the sidelines last year didn't help his cause...

milkman
08-07-2011, 10:29 AM
There is no downside to him growing into the RT spot.

None.

I'd love it if he could.

There's a reason he hasn't.

His explosion on the sidelines last year didn't help his cause...

Please, tell us the reason he hasn't.

I mean, clearly everyone matures at exactly the same rate.

We've never seen anyone that matured aftter they turned 26.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Guys that are still out there waiting for a call...

James Lee Bucs (was the bucs starter at RT by years end...not sure why he is still available...not bad player)

Nick Kaczur NE (missed 2010 and is 32 and NE moved on...if healthy he is a very solid player)

Langston Walker (31 years old, but is a starter quality player, would be good competition for Barry IMO...but would he bb motivated to sign with a division rival?)

Mario Henderson 26 I see him as another "when I want to" player...when he is good, he is damn good but when the switch is turned off, he is terrible. He started his first game and faced Tamba Hali and took him out of the game.

Jared Gaither (career in jeapordy due to back issues and had motivational issues before that)

Bowser
08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Didn't Walker have knee issues?

ANd I see no reason not to get Lee and Kazcur in here, stat.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I wonder if one of these guys from NE will shake loose...

Vollmer
Light
Cannon
Solder

I highly doubt it....maybe Vollmer could be had in a trade...

milkman
08-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I wonder if one of these guys from NE will shake loose...

Vollmer
Light
Cannon
Solder

I highly doubt it....maybe Vollmer could be had in a trade...

Yeah, not a fan of Vollmer.

Really don't like any of those options.

Tom Brady has always made those guys look better than they are.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 11:12 AM
out of all those guys, Kaczur is probably the best option if he is healthy.

I wonder if Pioli is waiting for a certain date where doctors have said he will be ready by...he would be a good fit for competition for Barry at RT.

Other than those guys, Im not really seeing a whole lot out there that could realistically shake loose, unless someone really impresses a coaching staff as a late rounder/UDFA and someone is made available through a trade.

Its looking like we may well have the OTs we will go into the season with at this point...but with a full preseason and a few rounds of cuts...thats surely not set in stone.

booger
08-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Kaczur will probably get a look like Warren did. I would imagine so anyway, unless injury concerns are too high.

Henderson i thought would be a potential fit. After reading up on him though his work ethic isn't the greatest and has some off field trouble.

Gaither has the injury issues as well. He is really young yet and i think this is a good spot to pick Zorn's brain on. He was only there a year but what kind of feel does he have for Gaither's love of the game and would he fit with what they are doing or just be a pain in the ass. I think Zorn could offer some input.

Ray Willis from Seattle is another possibility. Early in free agency i think i read he wants to play close to his offseason home in Florida. I think he would be a decent option to push Barry or be the swing Tackle.

Direckshun
08-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd like depth, but that's about it for 2011.

I want to give both players a make-or-break season. If they clearly don't look like Super Bowl material, I aim for tackles in round 1 and round 2 of 2012.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a feeling Sac is gonna be in OL heaven in next years draft....hopefully that feeling is shown to be incorrect and both Barry and Brandon step up their game against much better competition.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a feeling Sac is gonna be in OL heaven in next years draft....hopefully that feeling is shown to be incorrect and both Barry and Brandon step up their game against much better competition.

They could both be named All Pro and he'd still beat the O-line drum like a mad man.

milkman
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Kaczur will probably get a look like Warren did. I would imagine so anyway, unless injury concerns are too high.

Henderson i thought would be a potential fit. After reading up on him though his work ethic isn't the greatest and has some off field trouble.

Gaither has the injury issues as well. He is really young yet and i think this is a good spot to pick Zorn's brain on. He was only there a year but what kind of feel does he have for Gaither's love of the game and would he fit with what they are doing or just be a pain in the ass. I think Zorn could offer some input.

Ray Willis from Seattle is another possibility. Early in free agency i think i read he wants to play close to his offseason home in Florida. I think he would be a decent option to push Barry or be the swing Tackle.

Willis was signed by the Dolphins, as was Marc Colombo.

They have Long at LT.

They also have Nate Garner, who started a few games in '09 and looked pretty good, but missed last season to injury.

Then there's Lydon Murtha and vernon carey, who has been moved to guard but can slide over to tackle.

So there's probably a good chance that either Garner or Murtha, or both, could shake loose, and I would look at both of them if that happened.

Wilson8
08-07-2011, 02:58 PM
The Chiefs have had plenty of opportunities to modify their offensive tackle position. There were at least 3 OTs that could have been drafted in the first round this year in Anthony Castonzo, Gabe Carimi, and Derek Sherrod . Even before that in 2010 we passed on Zane Beadles and Charles Brown in favor of Dexter McCluster and Javier Arenas. Despite the story that Kansas City was looking at Jammal Brown the only free agent OT KC has signed is the re-signing of Ryan O’Callaghan.

The Chiefs did sign a couple of college free agents in David Mims and Mike Ingersoll that might be able to contribute in the future but they both have a lot to learn before they are able to take over the tackle position in the NFL. David Mims has been looking good in drills and the first week of practice but going from Division II and the NFL is going to be a steep climb.

The conclusion that one could draw from the Chief’s actions is; they are basically satisfied with Branden Albert , Barry Richardson, and Ryan O’Callaghan.

I know this will probably upset some Chiefs fans but unless the KC finds a fit of a veteran that can back up at right tackle, expect the Chiefs to enter the season with Albert, Richardson, O’Callaghan on the roster and David Mims possibly on the practice squad.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 03:00 PM
If they try to sneak Mims through waivers, we are asking to get screwed like we did with Lilja.

Albert
Mims
Richardson
Ocal

those are the 4 tackles we take on the 53 IMO