PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs fans: Why are we so optimistic about this season?

RedThat
08-07-2011, 11:26 AM
First off, I want to post our schedule for reminders sake so that we can input it into our own consciousness, and repeat to ourselves that we have a tough schedule on our hands, and nothing is guaranteed. I want to share with everybody that I've seen so much optimism expressed around here that many are sugarcoating this season and acting as if we will make the playoffs and possibly win a playoff game or two. Now don't me wrong, Im not implying that many should be pessimists nor am I trying to debunk anybodies optimism. I think the most appropriate approach to this season would be to keep our line of thought in tune with reality, and not be blinded by our own optimism. This is where staring at the schedule comes handy. Simply put, shall we see things from a more realistic perspective? Not trying to shatter anyones hopes, I too, would love to see the Chiefs be successful this season, but on the other hand, I think the best approach to this season is to be cautiously optimistic. You do that by taking things one game at a time.

KC Chiefs 2011 schedule:

Wk1 Bills vs. Chiefs
Wk2 Chiefs @ Lions
Wk3 Chiefs @ Chargers
Wk4 Vikings vs. Chiefs
Wk5 Chiefs @ Colts
Wk6 BYE
Wk7 Chiefs @ Raiders
Wk8 Chargers vs. Chiefs
Wk9 Dolphins vs. Chiefs
Wk10 Broncos vs. Chiefs
Wk11 Chiefs @ Patriots
Wk12 Steelers vs. Chiefs
Wk13 Chiefs @ Bears
Wk14 Chiefs @ Jets
Wk15 Packers vs. Chiefs
Wk16 Raiders vs. Chiefs
Wk17 Chiefs @ Broncos

I, like many others am happy with the improvements this team has made in the past 2 years. I am also very pleased with our drafts and FA acquistions this year. But this season will be a true testament to show not only the progress we've made as a team, but also how good we really are.

Rausch
08-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm not down on our team or the coaching but I don't see how we hit 8-8 with that schedule.

It's just too much with almost no break in between punches.

We nail the early games and we might have a chance at the post season...

HonestChieffan
08-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Because the off season was such a hoot.

Because Denver sucks and all things Denver suck.

Because Al is alive.

And we can hope the Chargers find a way to screw themselves.

And we get damn lucky.

tk13
08-07-2011, 11:31 AM
The schedule will most definitely be harder... but you know you can't go off what happened last year. Half the playoff teams from last year probably won't make the playoffs this year, and there will be another group of teams that were "bad" that rise up and have good seasons. Happens every year.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm optimistic for what Piloi and Haley have put together, and the general feel about the team. Gunther was a mess, Vermeil was a softie, and Herm just should have never been coach here. I love Haey as a coach, and the fact that he's NOT UNWILLING TO PLAY YOUNG KIDS, which the former coaches were.

And fuck the schedule. You never know how the schedule will shake out from year to year. The Bills and Dolphins may be the toughest teams we face this year. Sounds unlikely, but we just don't know.

I like this team. It just has a serious feel to it.

luv
08-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm optimistic because of the moves I see being made. While our record may not reflect it, I think we will be a better team than we were last season.

milkman
08-07-2011, 11:35 AM
At the end of the day, I don't give a rat's ass about the schedule.

This team's fortunes lie soley on the shoulders of Matt Cassel.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2011, 11:36 AM
When people talk about the schedule you're forgetting that every year is different. You don't take into account that injuries happen, teams fall off or rise up, etc. That's one of the many reasons why the NFL is far more superior to the other leagues...change and surprise. If we're a better team than we were last year we should win the AFC West again; we'll be able to play with the big boys.

Chiefshrink
08-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm not down on our team or the coaching but I don't see how we hit 8-8 with that schedule.

It's just too much with almost no break in between punches.

We nail the early games and we might have a chance at the post season...

:thumb:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2011, 11:38 AM

End of thread.

This is it really. In the NFL it's "have franchise QB, will travel...a long way." The other teams are playing just to play. Hopefully Cassel morphs into one.

RustShack
I'm optimistic for two reasons. I felt that last year our major gaping hole that hurt us the most was WR. We had no one other than Bowe. This year we draft Baldwin with our first pick. Baldwin is taller, faster, and has better hands than our Pro Bowl WR last year. On top of that, we add another 1,000 yard WR in Breaston. Not to mention Moeaki and McCluster should improve, and we have Urban coming off IR who isn't bad himself.

The next thing that hurt the offense was moving this sticks on 3rd/4th and one. McClain should change that.

Our defense was fine, its main problem was being on the field too long. The improved offense should fix that. But it was/is a young defense, so another year of development and playing under Crennel should also improve them.

Coogs
It's about winning the West. Do you really think Denver and Oakland are going to roll through that same basic schedule? San Diego too for that matter?

mlyonsd
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
My enthusiasm is based on where management is taking the team. This very well could be a tough season in the standings but I'll enjoy watching the team make progress.

Coogs
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm optimistic for two reasons. I felt that last year our major gaping hole that hurt us the most was WR. We had no one other than Bowe. This year we draft Baldwin with our first pick. Baldwin is taller, faster, and has better hands than our Pro Bowl WR last year. On top of that, we add another 1,000 yard WR in Breaston. Not to mention Moeaki and McCluster should improve, and we have Urban coming off IR who isn't bad himself.

The next thing that hurt the offense was moving this sticks on 3rd/4th and one. McClain should change that.

Our defense was fine, its main problem was being on the field too long. The improved offense should fix that. But it was/is a young defense, so another year of development and playing under Crennel should also improve them.

:clap:

Chiefshrink
08-07-2011, 11:40 AM

You are absolutely correct. With that being said are you satisfied with our back up QB situation in case of a real potential of Cassel suckage or injury?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
It's about winning the West. Do you really think Denver and Oakland are going to roll through that same basic schedule? San Diego too for that matter?

Pretty much. The winner should have 8-10 wins again.

Chiefshrink
08-07-2011, 11:42 AM

5-1 and very possiblly 6-0 in our own division alone but other than a gimme at home with Buff, it's gonna be real tough but I am positive:thumb:

RedThat
08-07-2011, 11:43 AM
The schedule will most definitely be harder... but you know you can't go off what happened last year. Half the playoff teams from last year probably won't make the playoffs this year, and there will be another group of teams that were "bad" that rise up and have good seasons. Happens every year.

That is true. The league is full of parody. But, there are some teams on our schedule that are just so good and have a reputation for winning that I can't see them flopping and not making the playoffs. Those teams would be NE, Indy, Pitt, and GB. And, lets not forget, our own division always plays us tough. We hardly EVER win in Denver. And trying to beat the Chargers on the road won't be easy. And, Lets not forget Oakland who swept us last year.

Actually, what really concerns me is our road schedule. I don't see one easy game. Maybe the Lions? That it. And that probably won't be as easy. They are improving but definately the easiest road game on our schedule by far.
I may be basing this on the wrong thing, but history usually indicates that the Chiefs are a bad road team. If history repeats itself, we may be in for a tough season.

mlyonsd
08-07-2011, 11:44 AM

This team's fortunes lie soley on the shoulders of Matt Cassel.Yup. He inherited a pretty crappy offense. Now that he's got the weapons he does there really isn't any excuse.

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
NO EXCUSES!!! Nothing but 2 SuperBowl wins is acceptable. Cassel must be better than Tom Brady he has weapons. No excuses!! You can NEVER win less games than the year before. Its never happened in NFL history!!!!

/OTWP

But yeah schedule looks brutal, the team is better, so maybe we hold 10-6 but I really don't expect it. 8-8 looks more likely even with an improved team. I'd love to be wrong, I thought 8-8 / 9-7 last year and they surprised me so who knows.

milkman
08-07-2011, 11:48 AM
You are absolutely correct. With that being said are you satisfied with our back up QB situation in case of a real potential of Cassel suckage or injury?

Since any QB that might offer an upgrade to Palko as a backup will more than likely be snatched by teams ahead of us in the pecking order when it comes to waiver claims, I have no chioce.

And no, Kyle Orton is not going to be outright cut by the Donkeys.

the Talking Can
08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
KC Chiefs: We're Not As Good As Them

the truth is that if we had any of the top 6-7 QBs, this team would be discussed as a contender....hell, if we had Bradford or Freeman

people talk about the schedule because they don't want to talk about the ? that is our QB....

this team is ready now....if Cassel isn't, his ass better be gone next year

Bowser
08-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Any team can rise up, and any other can take a squat on a Sunday. Hell, our 4 win team beat the defending champ Steelers a couple of years ago. Nobody saw that coming. The Patriots got their shit pushed in by the freaking Browns last year, for crying out loud.

Hoover
08-07-2011, 11:52 AM
We thought the Chargers and 49ers were going to kick ass out of the gate last year. Teams that looked good 7 months ago go through changes, age, and suffer turnover.

Are we better than the other three teams in our division? Yes

Do we once again have a real home field advantage? Yes

Do we have a good coaching staff and a lot of young talent? Yes

The schedule is not going to get me into the dumps. The Last thing I want is a 13-3 teams that got there on smoke, mirrors, and luck. To be the best you need beat the best. Bring it. We are no longer DV's Chiefs.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 11:53 AM

the truth is that if we had any of the top 6-7 QBs, this team would be discussed as a contender....hell, if we had Bradford or Freeman

people talk about the schedule because they don't want to talk about the ? that is our QB....

This is the year for Cassel. He's got the team, he's got the weapons. If this bullshit lockout has damaged any one player in the NFL this year, it was Cassel. I would have loved to see what Zorn could have done with him with a full offseason.

This is the year. No more excuses.

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 11:58 AM

I see this shit over and over. OK all you CP GMs out there you have the 14th pick of the draft and a few backup vet QBs you can grab. Fix the QB problem in KC.

In writing what do you do?

the Talking Can
08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I see this shit over and over. OK all you CP GMs out there you have the 14th pick of the draft and a few backup vet QBs you can grab. Fix the QB problem in KC.

In writing what do you do?

what the fuck does that have to do with the thread?

and when did you become the new reerun?

you think the team sucks, good for you...go tell someone who cares

Ace Gunner
Ya, Matt Cassel has got to win some games this year. But I think this team lives or dies on the short yardage run game and the pass rush this season. If they can do that stuff on a consistent game to game basis, I expect they will win a lot of games. As much as the team has improved WR personnel, it's going to take much of this season to get those guys hooked up and pulling this team along.

Coogs
I'm also optimistic because our roster has had very little turnover player wise or coaching wise this season. Due to the lack of a true offseason, this could play huge in a smooth transition from last season to this season for the entire team.

The same really can not be said for the other 3 teams in the division, especially Denver and Oakland.

the Talking Can
08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
how many teams do we play this year that have probowlers at:

FB
RB (best in league)
WR
OLB (one of top 2-3)
CB
S

?

tk13
08-07-2011, 12:04 PM
That is true. The league is full of parody. But, there are some teams on our schedule that are just so good and have a reputation for winning that I can't see them flopping and not making the playoffs. Those teams would be NE, Indy, Pitt, and GB. And, lets not forget, our own division always plays us tough. We hardly EVER win in Denver. And trying to beat the Chargers on the road won't be easy. And, Lets not forget Oakland who swept us last year.

Actually, what really concerns me is our road schedule. I don't see one easy game. Maybe the Lions? That it. And that probably won't be as easy. They are improving but definately the easiest road game on our schedule by far.
I may be basing this on the wrong thing, but history usually indicates that the Chiefs are a bad road team. If history repeats itself, we may be in for a tough season.

Yeah, but you just don't "know." Going into last season, New Orleans and Indy were supposed to be unstoppable coming off their Super Bowl appearance. And both teams were good and made the playoffs, but they really weren't as dominant as the year before.

But I agree these are teams that have a solid history of winning, it will be a challenge.... but odds are some of those teams in that elite group will have a down year. It's just impossible to envision it now. How could the Aaron Rodgers we saw last year lose a game? But going into last year it was impossible for people to imagine Drew Brees and the Saints getting their face kicked in by teams like Arizona and Cleveland then losing in the playoffs to a team with a losing record. Or the Colts being 6-6 and at risk of not even making the playoffs.

suzzer99
08-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Worst case scenario is Cassel makes another big leap this year in the regular season, then shits the bed in the playoffs again.

RedThat
08-07-2011, 12:06 PM

I agree with your take, that, outside of Bowe, WR was a major weakness last year. Now, from the way you are describing Baldwin, it sounds like he is a more talented WR than Bowe. IF, lets say by chance, he breaks out and puts together a unbelievable rookie season, I'd feel pretty confident about the passing game. And, remember Breaston got his 1,000 yard season playing in the slot as a #3 WR in Arizona when Fitzgerald, and Boldwin were lighting it up. Can he do that again? I think so, but a lot of things have to happen. I think Bowe and Baldwin have to be real threats. Bowe we all know can be a threat, but can Baldwin be that same type of player? And will Breaston be the same? He was hampered by a knee injury last year. A lot of things have to work out. right now its a bit questionable, but if things really gel, I'll reiterate, I'd feel pretty confident about the passing game.

The signing of McClain makes me feel good about our short yardage situations on offense. No argument from me there. If the offense can come together, and stay on the field a lot longer, that should help out the defense. But, questions remain to be answered? then there is also the development of Cassel? How will respond under Zorn? Richardson? Albert? What is the offensive line going to be like? Is our pass protection going to improve? etc...the list goes on.

I'd also like to add that our problems on defense last year was that outside of Hali, and Gilberry, they had no passrush. I hope guys like Houston, Sheffield, or even Bailey could change that. I think we need more of a passrush to play with the big boys. Plus, no real NT last year either. It'll be interesting to see how much of an improvement Gregg will be over Edwards. Or, if Belcher improves?

milkman
08-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, but you just don't "know." Going into last season, New Orleans and Indy were supposed to be unstoppable coming off their Super Bowl appearance. And both teams were good and made the playoffs, but they really weren't as dominant as the year before.

But I agree these are teams that have a solid history of winning, it will be a challenge.... but odds are some of those teams in that elite group will have a down year. It's just impossible to envision it now. How could the Aaron Rodgers we saw last year lose a game? But going into last year it was impossible for people to imagine Drew Brees and the Saints getting their face kicked in by teams like Arizona and Cleveland then losing in the playoffs to a team with a losing record. Or the Colts being 6-6 and at risk of not even making the playoffs.

I thought the Saints would fall back a bit when they lost Darren Sharper and Reggie Bush.

Call Bush a bust, or say that he hasn't lived up to his hype, but the fact is he was a dynamic playmaker that Brees relied on when things fell apart.

He was a big part of their success in '09, as was Sharper, who just made plays from his safety psoition.

Pasta Giant Meatball
Every year 5 or more new teams make the playoffs. Who will they be this season and who will be replaced? That's a better question.

Guru

absofuckinglutely

ForeverChiefs58
08-07-2011, 12:10 PM

I personally am optimistic because I hope Cassel really turns things around. Trent Green took a couple seasons to really get in that rhythm and lose his TrINT label, and I am hoping Cassel can make the same breakthrough. I also think Cassel can win our division with it being more vulnerable than previous years. This year with the donks and raiders both having first year head coaches and the chargers still having Norv. meanwhile the Chiefs, even being division champs have made the most improvements.

This will definately be Cassel's make or break year. Here is to him lighting it up this year.:toast:

DeezNutz
08-07-2011, 12:12 PM

And I'm perfectly OK with this. There's going to be some good Q at the stadium and lots of laughs.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking that Indy slips this year, and Houston steps up.

CanadaKC
08-07-2011, 12:14 PM
im optimistic cause we have a true leader on defence...eric berry...haven't had a player like that in a long time...who can elevate everyone around him

the Talking Can
08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
how many teams have more toys on offense than us?

seriously...enough with the excuse making

win the divison, go to the playoffs, win a game

milkman
08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I personally am optimistic because I hope Cassel really turns things around. Trent Green took a couple seasons to really get in that rhythm and lose his TrINT label, and I am hoping Cassel can make the same breakthrough. I also think Cassel can win our division with it being more vulnerable than previous years. This year with the donks and raiders both having first year head coaches and the chargers still having Norv. meanwhile the Chiefs, even being division champs have made the most improvements.

This will definately be Cassel's make or break year. Here is to him lighting it up this year.:toast:

I really liked and respected Green, and most of his early struggles were primarily due to lack of talent at WR, ad lack of experience by the rest of team in one of the most complex offensive systems in the league.

That being said, even at his best, I never fully trusted Green to take this team to that next level.

We didn.t lose games because of Green.
That distinction goes to defense.

But there were just too many times when Green made that one mistake in critical situations that left me feeling uncomfortable with him if this team had ever put things together.

Valiant
08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah I see 8-8 at most.. I think 8-8 might win it also..

Thankfully, Oakland dismantled itself.. Denver will hopefully start both QBs Orton enough to get out of the Luck sweepstakes and Tebow enough for teams to gameplan for him and end his QB career.. SD is SD, rivers needs to hurry up and retire..

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 12:17 PM
I really liked and respected Green, and most of his early struggles were primarily due to lack of talent at WR, ad lack of experience by the rest of team in one of the most complex offensive systems in the league.

That being said, even at his best, I never fully trusted Green to take this team to that next level.

But there were just too many times when Green made that one mistake in critical situations that left me feeling uncomfortable with him if this team had ever put things together.

He was lights out in the home playoff game against Indy. Magnificent even. Too bad the D let the team down.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
He was lights out in the home playoff game against Indy. Magnificent even. Too bad the D let the team down.

Yep. How many dropped passes that day, not to mention Boerigter and Morton both dropping easy touchdowns. It wouldn't be hard to argue that he outplayed Manning that day.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Blaming the schedule is what people do because they're already making excuses.

"See, we couldn't do well because we had to play all these tough teams . . . "

Bull.

Everyone else in our division plays damn near the same schedule.

If we're not good enough to make the playoffs, it's because we're <b>not good enough</b>. Period.

Besides, when we make the playoffs, I want this team to be battle-tested and ready to play there. I don't want to hear the announcers talking about this team not deserving to be there. When we make the playoffs, everyone is going to <b>know</b> we deserve it.

DeezNutz
08-07-2011, 12:20 PM
There is little question that this team has been improved over the course of the draft and FA.

Sooo.....now we're supposed to expect less? The mindfuck that Carl led on this fanbase is impressive as hell.

milkman
08-07-2011, 12:20 PM

Yes he was, but that Indy defense wasn't exactly all world either.

DeezNutz
08-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I bet NE fans are saying the same thing right now: "Man, our schedule is tough."

Pasta Giant Meatball
Yep. How many dropped passes that day, not to mention Boerigter and Morton both dropping easy touchdowns. It wouldn't be hard to argue that he outplayed Manning that day.

Refs stole a TD on that ridiculous OPI on Tony. They ended up not scoring and Priest fumbled inside the 20 on a long run as well.

kaplin42
Because the off season was such a hoot.

Because Denver sucks and all things Denver suck.

Because Al is alive.

And we can hope the Chargers find a way to screw themselves.

And we get damn lucky.

So it's better to be the best shitty team in the division than actualy be a good team?

If by some miracle we make it to the playoffs again, it will be one and donek, again.

As long as we have a Captain Crap My Pants as a QB, no way do we do anything worthwhile.

RedThat
08-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Okay.

How?

Manning played almost a perfect game that day.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 12:23 PM
So it's better to be the best shitty team in the division than actualy be a good team?

If by some miracle we make it to the playoffs again, it will be one and donek, again.

As long as we have a Captain Crap My Pants as a QB, no way do we do anything worthwhile.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IJ_R-G_i4Xk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RedThat
08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes he was, but that Indy defense wasn't exactly all world either.

Nope. It wasn't. All they did was force a turnover on us. Thats it. And that alone was good enough for them to win.

Imo, the main reason we lost, Manning played almost a perfect game, and our defense didn't stop the Colts offense once. Tough to win in that situation.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Okay.

How?

So did Trent

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Going out on a limb here.

1) I don't think this team is SB ready quite yet.

However

2) The Chiefs win the AFC West

3) The Chiefs win their first playoff game since 1993 this season.

4) The Chiefs compete for the AFC Championship in 2012-13 season.

notorious
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
4 out of 6 on the road to start the season is a killer. The same thing happened in 04', it is nearly impossible for a team to get into any kind of groove being on the road like that.

RedThat
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
So did Trent

He did?

I know he played awesome but are there stats to verify that it matched Mannings performance that day? Im willing to stand corrected.

suzzer99
08-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Okay.

How?

This. Rogers vs. Atl last season is the only thing I've seen that comes close to Manning's performance in that game.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 12:33 PM
4 out of 6 on the road to start the season is a killer. The same thing happened in 04', it is nearly impossible for a team to get into any kind of groove being on the road like that.

I see us beating the Lions on the road.

I can see us beating the Colts. We played them straight up last year at their place and I think we've got a better team now than we did last year.

We played the Raiders hard at Oakland last year and let a victory (and a TD pass) slip through our fingers last year.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility for this team to be 5-1 after the first six games (conceding a loss to SD in SD), with wins over the Bills, Lions, Vikings, Colts and Raiders.

I don't see some of these teams being the juggernauts apparently others here do.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I think this team has improved at enough crucial need positions for us to have a winning record this year...if Cassel makes as bug a jump as he did last year, we can probably win 10 games again and win a playoff game or two.

As Milk and a few of us have said all offseason, EVERYTHING rests on Cassel this year.

He either steps up and shows the trade was great, or the exact opposite.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Yep, it all hinges on Cassel. He has a complete team around him now.

RedThat
08-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Blaming the schedule is what people do because they're already making excuses.

"See, we couldn't do well because we had to play all these tough teams . . . "

Bull.

Everyone else in our division plays damn near the same schedule.

If we're not good enough to make the playoffs, it's because we're <b>not good enough</b>. Period.

Besides, when we make the playoffs, I want this team to be battle-tested and ready to play there. I don't want to hear the announcers talking about this team not deserving to be there. When we make the playoffs, everyone is going to <b>know</b> we deserve it.

You seem really confident. I wish I had your state of mind right now, but, I just can't help it and be a realist. Thats why I stated that nothing is guaranteed. Nothing is ever secure, and that is the reason why my approach is always cautious and just take things one step at a time.

I agree with the bottom portion of your post. Last year, I thought that was part of the problem going into the playoffs. We never really faced tough teams and weren't as battle tested. And exactly, IF we make the playoffs this year at least we can shutup all the announcers and critics out there because we definately did deserve it.:clap: good way of thinking.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 12:43 PM
He did?

I know he played awesome but are there stats to verify that it matched Mannings performance that day? Im willing to stand corrected.

The stats won't back it up. The thing Manning had going for him that Trent didn't was that his receivers weren't dropping passes. Also, had Priest not fumbled and Warfield actually pulled off a sure pick six, we probably would have won.

Meh. Water under the bridge. Back to the present....

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Oh noes! Fucking Debbie Downer.

Watch the games and let the season unfold.

Screw the schedule.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 12:46 PM
You know what stat Id like to see changed?

Sacks allowed should only really be credited to a linemen if the sack comes within 4 seconds of the snap.

Bowser
08-07-2011, 12:48 PM
You know what stat Id like to see changed?

Sacks allowed should only really be credited to a linemen if the sack comes within 4 seconds of the snap.

That's....strange. That's like not giving credit to a defender for picking off a tipped ball.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 12:51 PM
You seem really confident. I wish I had your state of mind right now, but, I just can't help it and be a realist. Thats why I stated that nothing is guaranteed. Nothing is ever secure, and that is the reason why my approach is always cautious and just take things one step at a time.

I've been following the Chiefs since 1966. If I was going to worry about the might be/coulda beens, I'd have quit watching football a LONG time ago.

If being a realist is nitpicking the team for reasons to assume we can't win, then put me firmly in the camp of the optimist (real fan, true fan, whatever bullshit name people want to call me). Until the Chiefs are completely mathematically and unequivocally eliminated, I'll believe they've got a chance.

The only time recently I've conceded the seasons before they were played was during the Herm Edwards error.

I think Pioli has the right attitude for building a team. I think Haley will get more out of these guys than most coaches in the NFL could and I think we've got a hell of a core of players.

Now, it's just time to play the games.

ChiefsNow
08-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm thinking our running game is going to give us an advantage early in the season.

I think our offense is going to be great which will also have bad consequences , as we may
score too quickly and our defense will be on the field a long time.

I'm hoping our defense will be good enough to handle that , and also cause turnovers , giving the ball back to our offense to score again, and then put the defense back on the field.

What a good problem to have, seeing our backups play more.

With good depth, that is not going to be bad either.

I'm just pumped.

Great post though , because I'm hoping we don't have a let down.

RedThat
08-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I see us beating the Lions on the road.

I can see us beating the Colts. We played them straight up last year at their place and I think we've got a better team now than we did last year.

We played the Raiders hard at Oakland last year and let a victory (and a TD pass) slip through our fingers last year.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility for this team to be 5-1 after the first six games (conceding a loss to SD in SD), with wins over the Bills, Lions, Vikings, Colts and Raiders.

I don't see some of these teams being the juggernauts apparently others here do.

I hate playing the Colts. They have a reputation for beating us all the time.

We can beat the Colts. But, we have to change our approach in how we play them. See, I think, everytime we play them, we play them scared. Especally on offense.

As long as #18 is behind center for them, he changes the whole approach in how we play them.

Last year, i thought we played them too conservatively on offense. Because our main concern was keeping their defense on the field as long as possible so Manning could stay off the field.

I'd just like to see us come out strike on all cylinders, score at will against them and scrap that stupid conservative offensive game plan that 9x's out of 10 gets us in trouble and usualyy results in a loss. I feel confident we have the defense and Romeo to contain Manning. Not shut them down but good enough to contain them. If they could just let the offense play, and let Romeo and the defense do there thing, they should be good.

I want to see us playing to win against them and not playing as if we are trying not to lose? Know what I mean?

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking our running game is going to give us an advantage early in the season.

I think our offense is going to be great which will also have bad consequences , as we may
score too quickly and our defense will be on the field a long time.I'm hoping our defense will be good enough to handle that , and also cause turnovers , giving the ball back to our offense to score again, and then put the defense back on the field.

What a good problem to have, seeing our backups play more.

With good depth, that is not going to be bad either.

I'm just pumped.

Great post though , because I'm hoping we don't have a let down.

Herm, is that you???

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan

We can beat the Colts. But, we have to change our approach in how we play them. See, I think, everytime we play them, we play them scared. Especally on offense.

As long as #18 is behind center for them, he changes the whole approach in how we play them.

Last year, i thought we played them too conservatively on offense. Because our main concern was keeping their defense on the field as long as possible so Manning could stay off the field.

I'd just like to see us come out strike on all cylinders, score at will against them and scrap that stupid conservative offensive game plan that 9x's out of 10 gets us in trouble and usualyy results in a loss. I feel confident we have the defense and Romeo to contain Manning. Not shut them down but good enough to contain them. If they could just let the offense play, and let Romeo and the defense do there thing, they should be good.

I want to see us playing to win against them and not playing as if we are trying not to lose? Know what I mean?

Playing not to lose is like playing a prevent defense.

It doesn't work.

RedThat
I've been following the Chiefs since 1966. If I was going to worry about the might be/coulda beens, I'd have quit watching football a LONG time ago.

If being a realist is nitpicking the team for reasons to assume we can't win, then put me firmly in the camp of the optimist (real fan, true fan, whatever bullshit name people want to call me). Until the Chiefs are completely mathematically and unequivocally eliminated, I'll believe they've got a chance.

The only time recently I've conceded the seasons before they were played was during the Herm Edwards error.

I think Pioli has the right attitude for building a team. I think Haley will get more out of these guys than most coaches in the NFL could and I think we've got a hell of a core of players.

Now, it's just time to play the games.

Fair enough

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Yeah, I think we're a team now that could come right out of the gate with a two or three play TD drive, and then when Manning is expected to answer it right away, force the turnover ala berry.

I have plenty of optimism for this season. Fuck the schedule. I think Cassel can do this.

10-6+ or bust.

milkman
08-07-2011, 12:55 PM

How could we possibly know what you mean?

I mean, we've never seen the Chiefs play not to lose.

:rolleyes:

Baby Lee
08-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd mention league parody, but the point is probably mute.

RedThat
08-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Playing not to lose is like playing a prevent defense.

It doesn't work.

Thats exactly right.

Thats like us on offense. Everytime we play them we run the ball up the middle or whatever other run we do?

But it makes thing easier for their defense.

milkman
I'd mention league parody, but the point is probably mute.

We won't be able to hear you?

ChiefsNow
Herm, is that you???

When I posted that, I was thinking. " don't make this sound like Herm" LMAO

No I like the score too fast problem we may have. I'm just hoping our defense will be deeper, to handle it.

mlyonsd
How could we possibly know what you mean?

I mean, we've never seen the Chiefs play not to lose.

:rolleyes:And this leads me to a question......

What affect will Muir have on the team? Good or bad?

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Chiefs played a weak schedule again!!! They didn't have to face Pickles and the vaunted Panthers, they played Buffalo before Thiggy took over and dominated the league, and avoided the Seahawk juggernaut. Oh noes11111

milkman
08-07-2011, 12:59 PM
And this leads me to a question......

What affect will Muir have on the team? Good or bad?

I've never thought too highly of Muir, but he was here last year, so probably minimal, even though he's been promoted to OC.

We all know that is a title in name only.

Jim Zorn is the guy that might have the most impact.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I forget.

Is parody the lexicon version of parity?

Is mute the lexicon version of moot?

Where's KCTitus when you need him?

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I forget.

Is parody the lexicon version of parity?

Is mute the lexicon version of moot?

Where's KCTitus when you need him?

He pops in on (rare) occasion these days.

ForeverChiefs58
08-07-2011, 01:02 PM

We really need Cassel to not lose us any games, and help us win games. For most of last year he did a really good job of being really careful not to turn the ball over. It was a big reason why we played winning football. However, sometimes I thought he was too cautious and held the ball too long. We didn't have the OL for that.

Against Denver he never made an attempt against Champ. When Bowe is one on one you have to be able to have the confidence to make that play. You could tell he was trying too hard to avoid a mistake.

Against oakland and ravens they took away all our weapons and put it in our QB's hands and he shit the bed and was a main reason why we lost those games. Hopefully, he has enough weapons this year and steps up his game to actually have the confidence to make the throws we need.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 01:04 PM
He pops in on (rare) occasion these days.

Miss having him around.

It was fun meeting him and his brother at the Chiefs/Ravens game when Dante ran back the re-kick for the winning touchdown. Ravens Stadium was awfully quiet on the way out. *grin*

notorious
If this team is taking the next step they will win some on the road to start the season. A real playoff winning team wins on the road.

I just don't know......

Brock
I don't see anybody on that schedule that makes me go "Wow, that's a surefire loss".

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Mecca likes this.

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Miss having him around.

It was fun meeting him and his brother at the Chiefs/Ravens game when Dante ran back the re-kick for the winning touchdown. Ravens Stadium was awfully quiet on the way out. *grin*

There's a lot of change through the years, but that's the way of life.

mlyonsd
08-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I've never thought too highly of Muir, but he was here last year, so probably minimal, even though he's been promoted to OC.

We all know that is a title in name only.

Jim Zorn is the guy that might have the most impact.
We have the same opinion of Muir. Maybe Zorn's can have an impact with more than just the QB's.

Hopefully with McClain we'll be able to actually run on 3rd and 1. There were several occasions last year when I was screaming at Weis being a DA.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm anxious to see how Asamoah does and the rest of the Oline.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 01:08 PM
There's a lot of change through the years, but that's the way of life.

True enough. True enough.

Which is why it's interesting to see who among the pioneers are still around here.

And why the heck we <b>are</b> still here.

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:12 PM
We have the same opinion of Muir. Maybe Zorn's can have an impact with more than just the QB's.

Hopefully with McClain we'll be able to actually run on 3rd and 1. There were several occasions last year when I was screaming at Weis being a DA.

I've never thought that Weis was an offensive guru, but what I liked about him was that he understood the necessity for offensive balance.

Even when he had nothing at RB in New England, he still recognized that he could not simply throw the rock all over, and that forced defenses to always continue to defend both phases of the game.

I think Haley recognizes that, as well.

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:13 PM
True enough. True enough.

Which is why it's interesting to see who among the pioneers are still around here.

And why the heck we are still here.

This is still the only place where you can still get good football discussion with bulshit on the side, though the side does seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

mlyonsd
08-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Just went and read up on our coaches. I feel more confident now knowing we have this guy.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/Sirianni_Nick_10.jpg

Nick Sirianni
Offensive Quality Control; born June 15, 1981, Jamestown N.Y. Wide receiver Mount Union 2000-03. No pro playing experience. College coach: Mount Union 2004-05, Indiana (Pa.) 2006-08. Joined Chiefs in 2009.

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Just went and read up on our coaches. I feel more confident now knowing we have this guy.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/Sirianni_Nick_10.jpg

Nick Sirianni
Offensive Quality Control; born June 15, 1981, Jamestown N.Y. Wide receiver Mount Union 2000-03. No pro playing experience. College coach: Mount Union 2004-05, Indiana (Pa.) 2006-08. Joined Chiefs in 2009.

Just remember, Todd Haley never played football at any level.

There's some good football people that think pretty highly of Sirianni, and many think he has a bright future.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't believe any of our strength and conditioning coaches played football either. Still seem to be doing a pretty good job there.

Haley may be a tad unique because he grew up in Pro Football even if he never played himself.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 01:20 PM
In the next two years, Nick will be promoted to QB coach and Zorn will move up to OC...muir will retire to a bowl of oatmeal.

mlyonsd
08-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Just remember, Todd Haley never played football at any level.

There's some good football people that think pretty highly of Sirianni, and many think he has a bright future.I'm not mocking the guy, just want to know what his job title means.

Baby Lee
08-07-2011, 01:22 PM
We won't be able to hear you?

It appears now that even the affect of parody is mute.

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:22 PM
In the next two years, Nick will be promoted to QB coach and Zorn will move up to OC...muir will retire to a bowl of oatmeal.

Wait, I thought he already passed the oatmeal stage.

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 01:23 PM
The rest of the division has to play the same teams.

If we go 4-2 in the division we will win the division.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Wait, I thought he already passed the oatmeal stage.

Metamucil?

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm not mocking the guy, just want to know what his job title means.

My uunderstanding is that he des a lot of film study and works with the offensive coaches to help them prepare for the next opponent.

He also reportedly did a lot of one on one work with Cassel on mechanics last year.

milkman
08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Metamucil?

And Ensure.

ForeverChiefs58
08-07-2011, 01:26 PM

McClain signing is helpful when you consider NFL's best rushing team was 31st in NFL in 3rd and short (less than 4 yards) conversions, and when you consider that last year JC and TJ were one of the best NFL combos EVER and not in top 58 in 3rd or 4th down conversions.

Micjones
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm excited about Zorn aiding Matt Cassel in his continued progress.
I'm excited about Jon Asamoah strengthening the run game on the right.
I'm excited about McClain/Thomas/Charles maintaining the #1 run game.
I'm excited about Kelly Gregg improving the Chiefs run defense.
I'm excited about Breaston and Baldwin bolstering this Receiving corps.
I'm excited about Moeaki taking the next step toward being the best TE in the league.
I'm excited about Gilberry/Bailey/Houston adding to our ability to sack the QB.

This schedule will test the Chiefs mettle.
I personally am grateful for it. If this team is EVER to become a viable contender we have to learn how to play and beat the best teams in the league. There's no better time for us to be tested by fire so that going forward we can be the team to beat on our way to a Lombardi.

I think the Chiefs can repeat as AFC West Champions. It'll be a fight though.

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
So IF the Chiefs go 8-8 and you don't like Cassel anymore will one of you Mother ****ers fix the problem IN WRITING! Show me your magic solution other than Cassel needs to get the **** out of here. Because unless you have an actual plan that is workable you are talking out of your ass.

I have now appointed you Chiefs GM with the 14th pick overall and a pool of retread QB vets.

SOLVE THE QB PROBLEM.

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm excited about Zorn aiding Matt Cassel in his continued progress.
I'm excited about Jon Asamoah strengthening the run game on the right.
I'm excited about McClain/Thomas/Charles maintaining the #1 run game.
I'm excited about Kelly Gregg improving the Chiefs run defense.
I'm excited about Breaston and Baldwin bolstering this Receiving corps.
I'm excited about Moeaki taking the next step toward being the best TE in the league.
I'm excited about Gilberry/Bailey/Houston adding to our ability to sack the QB.

This schedule will test the Chiefs mettle.
I personally am grateful for it. If this team is EVER to become a viable contender we have to learn how to play and beat the best teams in the league. There's no better time for us to be tested by fire so that going forward we can be the team to beat on our way to a Lombardi.

I think the Chiefs can repeat as AFC West Champions. It'll be a fight though.

That I agree with almost completely.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
So IF the Chiefs go 8-8 and you don't like Cassel anymore will one of you Mother ****ers fix the problem IN WRITING! Show me your magic solution other than Cassel needs to get the **** out of here. Because unless you have an actual plan that is workable you are talking out of your ass.

I have now appointed you Chiefs GM with the 14th pick overall and a pool of retread QB vets.

SOLVE THE PROBLEM.trade whatever is required (even going full ditka mode) to move up as far as you can to draft a quarterback and let Cassel play until he is ready or until he ascends to the point where he is "the guy" we need to have a chance to consistently win/compete for championships.

fix the remaining holes on the roster with the millions and millions of dollars we have to spend in FA and lets roll.

If it doesnt work the first time, try try again.

You never stop trying to get "that guy" until you have him.

This team is good enough to win a championship RIGHT NOW with the right quarterback situation.

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I really hope we piss-pound the Raiders twice.

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I really hope we piss-pound the Raiders twice.

I'd like a 16 game schedule of pounding the faiders into submission every game, that would be the best year ever.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-07-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd mention league parody, but the point is probably mute.Flustrating, isn't it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 02:21 PM
trade whatever is required (even going full ditka mode) to move up as far as you can to draft a quarterback and let Cassel play until he is ready or until he ascends to the point where he is "the guy" we need to have a chance to consistently win/compete for championships.

fix the remaining holes on the roster with the millions and millions of dollars we have to spend in FA and lets roll.

This team is good enough to win a championship RIGHT NOW with the right quarterback situation.

You should have went with....Stanzi :thumb:

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I'd like a 16 game schedule of pounding the faiders into submission every game, that would be the best year ever.

It'd be nice, but it doesn't matter how pathetic the Faid is, they always show up to play against KC...epecially lately at Arrowhead.

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 02:25 PM
So you'd trade our entire draft plus maybe a 1st the next year to get Andrew Luck? I'm not opposed and thanks for at least writing something down. Boy if we missed though that would be costly. Its about the only real choice. And for the record I don't think there is a single person on the planet advocating NOT trying to find that "Guy". I'd love it, its just a easy cop out to having a plan and I get tired on people just throwing that out there. There are 25 GMs spending 15 hours a day trying to find that "guy" plus 100s of scouts. Its not that easy.

trade whatever is required (even going full ditka mode) to move up as far as you can to draft a quarterback and let Cassel play until he is ready or until he ascends to the point where he is "the guy" we need to have a chance to consistently win/compete for championships.

the Talking Can
08-07-2011, 02:30 PM

SOLVE THE QB PROBLEM.

you turned into a dumbass in the offseason, reerun....

BossChief
08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
So you'd trade our entire draft plus maybe a 1st the next year to get Andrew Luck? I'm not opposed and thanks for at least writing something down. Boy if we missed though that would be costly. Its about the only real choice. And for the record I don't think there is a single person on the planet advocating NOT trying to find that "Guy". I'd love it, its just a easy cop out to having a plan and I get tired on people just throwing that out there. There are 25 GMs spending 15 hours a day trying to find that "guy" plus 100s of scouts. Its not that easy.

Yes, I would and Ive been saying that for months now.

If that's what it takes it would be worth every single pick.

If we dont think thats cost effective, fine. Then sit pat and draft the best quarterback available then.

If we had done that in years past we could have guys like:

Aaron Rodgers (we took DJ)
Sanchez (Tyson Jackson)
Brees (traded pick for Trent Green)
Josh Freeman (Tyson Jackson)
Joe Flacco (Brandon Albert)

the problem is that we never tried. Instead of "trying" to find that guy, we choose to take the "easy route" over and over and trade a pick for someone elses BACKUP.

rinse, repeat.

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 02:40 PM
you turned into a dumbass in the offseason, reerun....

Show me your plan. You say dump Cassel. Whats your move?

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Yes, I would.

If that's what it takes it would be worth every single pick.

If we dont think thats cost effective, fine. Then sit pat and draft the best quarterback available then.

If we had done that in years past we could have guys like:

Aaron Rodgers (we took DJ)
Sanchez (Tyson Jackson)
Brees (traded pick for Trent Green)
Josh Freeman (Tyson Jackson)
Joe Flacco (Brandon Albert)

the problem is that we never tried.

I have no problem trying. I'd try every year to at least get one suspect / prospect. I'd make do with a retread LT before I'd pass on a possible franchise QB. Even if I had one in house.

Marcellus
08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think the schedule is as bad as it is being made out to be.

Raiders went backwards for sure. That was 2 losses last year that could be 2 wins this year.

Indy is likely going a step backwards and no telling if Manning will be healthy. We play them early which I think is good.

Vikings are overrated.

Dolphins will be bad.

Broncos will be bad.

Lions? Who knows we should be able to beat them.

Bears - Overrated.

Steelers, SD, NE, and GB will beat us.

10-6 is very possible again.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Also, my scenario doesn't have anything to do with dumping Cassel...Id say keep him in the starters role for another year (2012) and hope he improves... if he does we could probably recoup that first rounder and if he doesn't , we could probably still get a 3rd/2nd rounder for him.

frankotank
08-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Cassell is ranked seventh or eighth just about anywhere you look

ChiefsCountry
08-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Cassell is ranked seventh or eighth just about anywhere you look

In the AFC.

Marcellus
08-07-2011, 03:00 PM
In the AFC.

Name 7 QB's in the AFC that are without question better than Cassel.

Rivers, Manning, Brady, Shaub, Rothlisraper, are for sure.

I may get crucified but Flacco is an equal in my mind, he just has a hell of a team to carry him, as well as Sanchez.

frankotank
08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
In the AFC.
thats just mean. Funny though

BossChief
08-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Id like to say that I think Cassel DOES have a chance at ascending into the talk of the better quarterbacks in the NFL this year...

He has a good coach to help him direct where his work ethic should be used to help him improve the areas he needs to improve.

His weapons around him are as good as anybodies in the NFL and when he had that in NE, he didnt look bad towards the end of the season...once he got some experience.

He has a good level of experience now against about every type of defense he will see in the future.

My stance is that if he regresses, we need to make a serious investment into the future of this team because this is a playoff schedule that he will have to face year in and year out if we are to have a real chance at competing for championships year in and year out as Pioli suggests over and over.

If Cassel has a bad year and Pioli sits on his hands and does nothing in the first two rounds about it, that will be very frustrating.

JoeyChuckles
08-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm kind of tired of people making excuses, not to mention all the cautious optimism. That's the same mood that KC has had for the last two decades for both the Chief and Royals. "We hope the team is better, but I'm not getting my hopes up" is basically the way the entire city thinks. Why not "I expect us to be a good team and go to the playoffs". Is that so bad of a stance to take? I don't give a fig about the schedule, play good football and win games.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 03:05 PM

I may get crucified but Flacco is an equal in my mind, he just has a hell of a team to carry him, as well as Sanchez.

ummmm, that would make his comment right then, right?

thats 5 quarterbacks and you just added 2 more that are about equal...7th or 8th seems about right in the afc.

For us to take the next step, we need him to step up into that 4th or 5th spot.

I dont think that unrealistic to ask to happen.

Marcellus
08-07-2011, 03:07 PM
ummmm, that would make his comment right then, right?

thats 5 quarterbacks and you just added 2 more that are about equal...7th or 8th seems about right in the afc.

I wasn't being argumentative against his post,more thinking out loud.

Depends on your point of view. Because they are equal he wouldn't be 7th or 8th best

This season will tell a lot. I agree, he has to go up the list, not stay the same or drop.

Okie_Apparition
08-07-2011, 03:10 PM
What country star saying do we have this year to get us excited? Dolly Parton's Go For Two

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 03:20 PM

I may get crucified but Flacco is an equal in my mind, he just has a hell of a team to carry him, as well as Sanchez.We don't know what Shaub is. He's as big of a question as Cassel.

ForeverChiefs58
08-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Well, According to this new metric, it breaks down like this:

Top tier: Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Michael Vick, Rodgers and Drew Brees.

Well above average: Josh Freeman, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

Above average: Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub, David Garrard and Kerry Collins.

Around average: Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Colt McCoy, Kyle Orton and Jon Kitna.

Below average: Shaun Hill, Jason Campbell, Jay Cutler, Matt Hasselbeck, Chad Henne, Donovan McNabb, Sam Bradford and Alex Smith.

Poor: Derek Anderson, Brett Favre and Jimmy Clausen.

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 03:26 PM
This season is Huge for Cassel. He must produce.

If not, I'm pulling a Mike Ditka to get Luck.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 03:26 PM
We don't know what Shaub is. He's as big of a question as Cassel.

ummm, what?

Shaub passed for 4370 yards last year and showed that he could keep his team in games that required the quarterback to do so in a shootout.

He did it against a schedule similar to the one we face this year.

the problem there was his 30th ranked defense.

Put Matt Shaub on the 2011 Chiefs and we would probably be a legitimate superbowl contender.

Instead, lots of people are talking about us possibly missing the playoffs.

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I will shit a brick if Denver or Oakland finish better than 6-10.

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 03:28 PM
No fucking way I put Vick over Rivers.

Brock
08-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Well, According to this new metric, it breaks down like this:

Top tier: Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Michael Vick, Rodgers and Drew Brees.

Well above average: Josh Freeman, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

Above average: Ben Roethlisberger.

worthless metric.

BigMeatballDave
ummm, what?

Shaub passed for 4370 yards last year and showed that he could keep his team in games that required the quarterback to do so in a shootout.

He did it against a schedule similar to the one we face this year.

the problem there was his 30th ranked defense.

Put Matt Shaub on the 2011 Chiefs and we would probably be a legitimate superbowl contender.

Instead, lots of people are talking about us possibly missing the playoffs.Stats are for loosers. How is his post-season play?

Dave Lane
This season is Huge for Cassel. He must produce.

If not, I'm pulling a Mike Ditka to get Luck.

I don't think there is anyway Pioli does that unless Cassel dies. I'm OK with it if the scouts all agree he's a strong candidate for franchise QB.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Stats are for loosers. How is his post-season play?

better than Cassels'

ChiefsCountry
08-07-2011, 03:33 PM
We don't know what Shaub is.

Hes Trent Green Part II.

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 03:34 PM
better than Cassels'Whoa! Fucking crown his ass.

RedThat
08-07-2011, 03:48 PM

No ****ing way. Thats way too risky. That is complete balls to the wall. What if next year we discover that the OL isn't good enough? and we need a new set of tackles? What if we still need new linebackers? A NT or a DE? Truth is we don't know. There are guys on this team right now that are still going through processes of development and we do not know if they will pan out or not. There are still some question marks at certain positions on this team that need to be answered.

I agree. But not trading your whole entire draft? come on? A GM should be in hot water if he does that. That is suicidal. I understand the importance of a QB, but I think we can't overestimate it to the point where we overlook the fact that football is a team game and it shouldn't be soooooo prioritized where you are going to sacrifice your team and future just to get that #1 pick. Unless Luck becomes the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Then, maybe. But that is no guarantee.

Boss, I appreciate your optimism around here, but honestly, we still have a bit of a ways to go. To state that this team is good enough to win a championship right now w/ the right QB situation (provided even IF Cassel pans out, sorry not trying to put words in your mouth there), is a bit of a stretch imo. If one were to compare this team with some of the good teams on paper we would get outmatched.

keg in kc
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm optimistic because it's August. If other people want to go the Eeyore route, more power to 'em. We all have a choice, and, well, at this point mine is to not look for reasons, logical or otherwise, to give up on the season before it starts.

thurman merman
08-07-2011, 03:57 PM
The Broncos are awful. The Raiders lost their best player. The Chargers have nearly the same schedule, and are in my opinion a worse team than the Chiefs. The division is the Chiefs' to lose.

Marcellus
08-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm optimistic because it's August. If other people want to go the Eeyore route, more power to 'em. We all have a choice, and, well, at this point mine is to not look for reasons, logical or otherwise, to give up on the season before it starts.

I loved last year where we had all the 4-12 and 6-10 prediction with 8-8 being the ceiling for the most part.

Then we started winning and people got all uppity and bitching about only finishing 10-6.

Marcellus
08-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Here is what I expect -

KC Chiefs 2011 schedule:

Wk1 Bills vs. Chiefs W
Wk2 Chiefs @ Lions W
Wk3 Chiefs @ Chargers L
Wk4 Vikings vs. Chiefs W
Wk5 Chiefs @ Colts W
Wk6 BYE
Wk7 Chiefs @ Raiders W
Wk8 Chargers vs. Chiefs W
Wk9 Dolphins vs. Chiefs W
Wk10 Broncos vs. Chiefs W
Wk11 Chiefs @ Patriots L
Wk12 Steelers vs. Chiefs L
Wk13 Chiefs @ Bears L
Wk14 Chiefs @ Jets W
Wk15 Packers vs. Chiefs L
Wk16 Raiders vs. Chiefs W
Wk17 Chiefs @ Broncos Probably a L because we already clinched the AFCW

BossChief
08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
No ****ing way. Thats way too risky. That is complete balls to the wall. What if next year we discover that the OL isn't good enough? and we need a new set of tackles? What if we still need new linebackers? A NT or a DE? Truth is we don't know. There are guys on this team right now that are still going through processes of development and we do not know if they will pan out or not. There are still some question marks at certain positions on this team that need to be answered.

I agree. But not trading your whole entire draft? come on? A GM should be in hot water if he does that. That is suicidal. I understand the importance of a QB, but I think we can't overestimate it to the point where we overlook the fact that football is a team game and it shouldn't be soooooo prioritized where you are going to sacrifice your team and future just to get that #1 pick. Unless Luck becomes the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Then, maybe. But that is no guarantee.

Boss, I appreciate your optimism around here, but honestly, we still have a bit of a ways to go. To state that this team is good enough to win a championship right now w/ the right QB situation (provided even IF Cassel pans out, sorry not trying to put words in your mouth there), is a bit of a stretch imo. If one were to compare this team with some of the good teams on paper we would get outmatched.

We have plenty of cash we have to spend to fill any holes we might have in the coming yer or two.

Show me a list of teams that have better talent on their roster than us...let me help you, there arent many.

A good quarterback situation extends drives and therefore helps the defense. It helps not leave his team with poor field position. It makes defenses respect the pass.

Again, not saying Cassel cant get there....but its not a sure thing he will, either.

And in closing....FUCK THAT RISK ARGUMENT. Its a classic reason this team hasnt won playoff games the last 20 fucking years.

thurman merman
08-07-2011, 04:13 PM
We don't know what Shaub is. He's as big of a question as Cassel.

LOL what

digger
08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Wk1 Bills vs. Chiefs W 1-0
Wk2 Chiefs @ Lions W 2-0
Wk3 Chiefs @ Chargers L 2-1
Wk4 Vikings vs. Chiefs W 3-1
Wk5 Chiefs @ Colts W 4-1
Wk6 BYE
Wk7 Chiefs @ Raiders W 5-1
Wk8 Chargers vs. Chiefs W 6-1
Wk9 Dolphins vs. Chiefs W 7-1
Wk10 Broncos vs. Chiefs W 8-1
Wk11 Chiefs @ Patriots L 8-2
Wk12 Steelers vs. Chiefs W 9-2
Wk13 Chiefs @ Bears L 9-3
Wk14 Chiefs @ Jets L 9-4
Wk15 Packers vs. Chiefs W 10-4
Wk16 Raiders vs. Chiefs W 11-4
Wk17 Chiefs @ Broncos W 12-4

milkman
08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
We have plenty of cash we have to spend to fill any holes we might have in the coming yer or two.

Show me a list of teams that have better talent on their roster than us...let me help you, there arent many.

A good quarterback situation extends drives and therefore helps the defense. It helps not leave his team with poor field position. It makes defenses respect the pass.

Again, not saying Cassel cant get there....but its not a sure thing he will, either.

And in closing....**** THAT RISK ARGUMENT. Its a classic reason this team hasnt won playoff games the last 20 ****ing years.

There are going to be 3 or 4 QBs with first round grades in the next draft.

Luck and Matt Barkley are top 5 picks, and I would not be inclined to move it that far to take one, as much as I like both.

Landry Jones might be a top 15 pick, and we might be in range to take him.

But the kid I would watch out for is Ryan Lindly out of San Diego State.

He might well be that guy that surprises everyone with a first round grade and might well be there when the Chiefs selection comes up, though it would not surprise me to really move up into a top 10 selection as the season progresses.

DTLB58
08-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I remember last year at this same time several people saying the Chiefs wouldn't win more than 5 games and we as fans should be more realistic and so on and so forth.

The deal is with predicting is that you always do it with how your opponents for this year did last season and then when your team plays them this season they are a totally different team hence, the different outcome and different record in the standings.

You just play the teams you are scheduled to play. You never apoligize for a win and you are never going to get better by playing the bottom of the barrel every year. The only way to get better is to play the best and push yourself.
Look at that Colt game last season? Even though The Chiefs lost it probably shed some light and gave a confidence boost to some players that they could play with the upper teams or at least were getting closer.

If you always set your goals low that's where you will end up.

If Clark Gives Todd an excuse this season that 5-11 is good enough because they faced a "tough" schedule do you think he is ever going to push the team to get better and be satisfied? Hell no!

This schedule is zero excuse. Go out there and instead of the Chiefs worrying about the schedule, let other teams look at the schedule for once and say oh crap, we gotta play K.C.!!!!!!!!

TEX
08-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Wk1 Bills vs. Chiefs - W
Wk2 Chiefs @ Lions - W
Wk3 Chiefs @ Chargers - L
Wk4 Vikings vs. Chiefs -W
Wk5 Chiefs @ Colts - W
Wk6 BYE
Wk7 Chiefs @ Raiders - W
Wk8 Chargers vs. Chiefs - W
Wk9 Dolphins vs. Chiefs - W
Wk10 Broncos vs. Chiefs - W
Wk11 Chiefs @ Patriots - L
Wk12 Steelers vs. Chiefs - W
Wk13 Chiefs @ Bears - L
Wk14 Chiefs @ Jets - L
Wk15 Packers vs. Chiefs - L
Wk16 Raiders vs. Chiefs - W
Wk17 Chiefs @ Broncos - W

The key is improving within the division. Do that and the Chiefs will be fine. I honestly see 10 - 11 wins. Just my take on things...

RedThat
08-07-2011, 04:53 PM

There a small handful right now.

I want this to be interesting and fun, if you don't mind. I'll use one team as an example, the Steelers.

Lets first compare with the Steelers. Position by Position.

QB Cassel vs. Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger wins. edge to QB goes to Pitt

RB Charles vs. Mendenhall. Charles wins. edge to RB goes to KC

OL Steelers vs. Chiefs. I call even. both lines are mediocre. Both good at run blocking, but suck at pass blocking. Steelers make up for a lack of pass protection because they have a mobile QB that is huge, and tough to tackle. Can we say that about Cassel? Nope.

WR Bowe, Baldwin vs. Ward, Mike Wallace. I don't know? this is close. Ward is consistent, but Bowe had the better year last year. Edge probably to the Chiefs and Bowe. But Wallace had a nice year last year, and we don't know what we have in Baldwin yet. tough to say.

TE Moeaki vs. Miller. I say Miller right now. edge to Pitt. But Moeaki can be just as good if not better.

FB LeRon McClain vs. David Johnson.McClain. Hands down. Edge Chiefs.

*On offense, with the exception of QB, It's probably good to say we are just as good as Pittsburgh. Here is where they win. It's on Defense.

Chiefs DL(Dorsey, Gregg, and TJackson) vs. Pitt DL(Hood, Hampton, and Keisel) Pitt wins there.

Chiefs LBers(Hali, Belcher, DJ, and Houston/Studebaker/sheffield???) vs. Steelers LBers(Harrison, Farrior, Timmons, and Woodley. Pittsburgh wins there hands down. They have two premier passrushers, we have one in Hali. They have a proven commodity that can stop the run in Farrior, and we as chiefs fans are still concerned about whether Belcher will develop.

Chiefs CB's(Flowers, Carr) vs. Steelers CB's(McFadden, Taylor). Chiefs win there.

Chiefs safeties(Berry and Lewis) vs. Steelers safeties(Clark and Polamalu). Steelers win there. The secondaries are about even. We have the better CB's. They have the better safeties.

Okay I'll throw in special teams as well.

Chiefs KR/PR (Arenas, McCluster) vs. Steelers KR/PR (Antonio Brown). Its probably even. Brown was solid in the return game for them last year, but so Arenas for us.

K Ryan Succop vs. Shaun Suisham Succop wins. Edge to chiefs.

P Dustin Colquitt vs. Jeremy Kapinos I'd say Colquitt. Edge Chiefs.

*The bottomline is, we match up pretty evenly against a playoff caliber team like Pittsburgh. But, what makes them a better team and seperates us from them is that A) they have the better the QB B) they have the better defense. Mainly in the front 7. they have a reputation for stopping the run. Its been their staple for years. Chiefs on the other hand, are average in that category. their D co-ordinator is slighly better than ours. Okay, I'll give the Chiefs have the slight edge in special teams

but guess what? they have something we don't have. The most important components to winning a championship. A top 10 defense and a QB. And THAT shows on paper. And its funny because history has shown that teams that have won SB's usually have a top 10 defense and a top quarterback. Unfortunately for us, we don't have any of those.

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 04:57 PM
They have alot of talent however I won't be convinced until I see improvement at 2 areas. Right now theres a lack of depth and questions on the D-line. Lack of depth on the O-line with the tackles who are inconsistent. If theres an injury to either tackle we'll be approaching 2006-2007 tackle play.

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
LOL what?

notorious
08-07-2011, 05:08 PM
We just went through the worst stretch in KC Chiefs history.

It's like not getting laid for years then finally nailing a slump-buster. We are going to be optimistic about possibly scoring a 6 or 7 the next time out on the town, but until we land that 6 figure job (aka QB) we might as well not even think about landing a 10 (Superbowl).

BossChief
08-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I never ever in my life fucked a "10"

but one night, I fucked 5 "2s"

/carlin

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Lolwut

mlyonsd
08-07-2011, 06:27 PM
We just went through the worst stretch in KC Chiefs history. Oh buddy, you weren't a Chief fand through the 70's and 80's did you?

Color Red
08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Because it hasn't begun yet of course. This the beauty of the NFL, where hope springs eternal in the preseason.

Jive Ass
08-07-2011, 08:01 PM
My optimism does not lie with our final record this season. I'm optimistic because I know of the potential for growth, and I know that this could be the advent of many good seasons for the Chiefs.

xztop12
08-07-2011, 08:20 PM
If Gilberry plays well and Dorseys knee isn't a problem I dont see what the concern with the D-line depth is. Tyson Jackson will be at least mediocre and Allen Bailey can do something if only limited... I'm more concerned with safety and linebacking depth. at this point im not sure im sold on derrick johnson as a 3-4 ilb

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
If we beat the Lions that'll be a huge win.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
If we beat the Lions that'll be a huge win.

wtf? Huge win over the lions?LMAO

That's like the huge road win against the 7w Seahawks last year. And I really doubt Detroit wins more than 6 games. We really are lowering expectations.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:18 PM
We really are lowering expectations.

Maybe that's why we're so optimistic!

KurtCobain
Maybe that's why we're so optimistic!

Good thinking, Kurt! Rep.

Count Alex's Losses
We will definitely beat the Lions. Karma owes us.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/content/articles/2010/11/11/sports/doc4cdc6b679ee6e709673886.jpg

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 09:21 PM

That's like the huge road win against the 7w Seahawks last year. And I really doubt Detroit wins more than 6 games. We really are lowering expectations.

Umm what? The Lions have the best D-line in football Suh will rape Wiegmann. Stafford is a good QB and Calvin Johnson is one of the best WR's in the game.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:22 PM
That is the blind spot on the truefan vs drafterbater debate of 8-8 versus 11-5.

The glass-half-empty folks think the lions will own us. That game is not a guarantee either way, however from a bird's point of view it's a very possible win.

The glass half full folks(me) think the colts game is a sure fire win. That game is not a guarantee either way, however from a bird's point of view it's a very possible loss.

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Umm what? The Lions have the best D-line in football Suh will rape Wiegmann. Stafford is a good QB and Calvin Johnson is one of the best WR's in the game.

Fairley probably won't even play in that game, and the Lions still have a big question mark at QB, and their OL sucks.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Matt Cassel: Come at me Suh! Come at me, see what happens when you have no corners to cover Bowe, Breaston and Baldwin!

-King-
08-07-2011, 09:24 PM

That's like the huge road win against the 7w Seahawks last year. And I really doubt Detroit wins more than 6 games. We really are lowering expectations.Um...the Lions are the 2nd most talented team in their division. A division that includes the superbowl champions and a team that made it to the conference championship last year.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:24 PM

Will Stafford be healthy come all the way into week 2? And um, they suck everyhwere else besides where you mentioned.

If Berry, Flowers, Carr and Hali can't stop Stafford and Johnson with little chemistry and virtually no help, then they need to go home.

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Fairley probably won't even play in that game, and the Lions still have a big question mark at QB, and their OL sucks.

Corey Williams, Sammie Lee Hill, etc.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Um...the Lions are the 2nd most talented team in their division. A division that includes the superbowl champions and a team that made it to the conference championship last year.

Yeah, sorry forgot for a minute the lions came second in their division last year. My bad.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Dorsey, DJ, etc. Outside of what I who I already mentioned.

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Because last year means everything. You sound like a Raiders fan.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Billay is scared of the Lions.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I am stoked about this season... I cant wait for the season to kick off...

I have them picked to go 11-5 and a playoff win...

KurtCobain
Because last year means everything. You sound like a Raiders fan.

Because you have a crystal ball for this year.

Shit, to an outsider our line looks good on paper too.

So, you're completely basing the lions being the 2nd best team in the division on potential? You sound like a lions fan.

Saul Good
Why do people predict that the Lions will be greatly improved every season?

Chocolate Hog
Billay is scared of the Lions.

Fuck yea I am because they have a defensive line that is capable of raping us. They're a very talented up and coming team.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
And forget last year. What about the last thousand fucking years.

It's what Saul said. The lions have been in the dumps since we had marty, and every year they are the sexy break out team pick.

Harrington is going to be a top flight QB, I'm telling you. He's got that first round WR who will own everybody, and look at Shawn rogers anchoring that young griddy D. They're gonna be exciting!

BossChief
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
I hope Stafford is healthy for that game...so when we rape their faces there arent any excuses except for the end of the year when everybody is like "yeah but that was just Detroit, they never win more than 6 games" or whatever like what happened after the 49ers game last year.

Seriously, they dont have a single good corner on that team, good enough to cover any of our top three receivers.

I bet Charles has 100 yards receiving and another buck rushing in that game because we will be running a lot of swing and screen passes to take the pressure off.

not one

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I hope Stafford is healthy for that game...so when we rape their faces there arent any excuses except for the end of the year when everybody is like "yeah but that was just Detroit, they never win more than 6 games" or whatever like what happened after the 49ers game last year.

Seriously, they dont have a single good corner on that team, good enough to cover any of our top three receivers.

I bet Charles has 100 yards receiving and another buck rushing in that game because we will be running a lot of swing and screen passes to take the pressure off.

not one

Good breakdown.

Billay's been huffing too much motor city gas.

Count Alex's Losses

Gunther, etc.

Chocolate Hog
Comparing Shaun Rogers to Suh is laughable and Stafford isn't Joey Harrington. They didn't exactly have a player like Calvin Johnson either or an outside pass rush.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
If you ask anyone in 2004 they had the best stacked team ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if Suh takes a step back because of Gunther or an injury, and they ship out CJ because he's pissed and tired of his QB hospital hopping with Brodie Croyle. It's Detroit.

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Comparing Shaun Rogers to Suh is laughable and Stafford isn't Joey Harrington. They didn't exactly have a player like Calvin Johnson either or an outside pass rush.

Chiefs running game + quick passes + shitfest Detroit O = Chiefs win

Now suck my cock.

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Chiefs running game + quick passes + shitfest Detroit O = Chiefs win

Now suck my cock.

We saw what Cassel is like when theres pressure up the middle. There wasn't a CB on the Ravens roster that was good enough to match up with Bowe.

Not one.

He didn't even have a single catch.

So unless A. The interior of the line improves or B. Cassel finally is able to step up when being pressured that game in Detroit is going to be a very difficult one.

Saul Good
08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Megatron is overrated.

BossChief
08-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Fuck yea I am because they have a defensive line that is capable of raping us. They're a very talented up and coming team.

and what are we?

If Houston is up to speed by then, we could be the team that puts Stafford on IR this year.

We are the human being and they are the snake...they are a lot more scared of us than we are of them and even if they bite us, its not gonna be that serious.

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 09:46 PM
We saw what Cassel is like when theres pressure up the middle. There wasn't a CB on the Ravens roster that was good enough to match up with Bowe.

Not one.

So unless A. The interior of the line improves or B. Cassel finally is able to step up when being pressured that game in Detroit is going to be a very difficult one.

The Chiefs should not be worrying about the Lions defense, the Lions should be worrying about the Chiefs defense.

We can hold that team to less than 14 points.

milkman
08-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Not one.

The thing is, with the addition of Breaston and Baldwin, as well the change in the interior of the line, which makes them younger, stronger and more mobile, this offense should be able to take advantage of the defense's agressive style that Gunther likes to employ.

They should be able to keep them off balance so that it minimizes their interior strength.

keg in kc

Not one.

So unless A. The interior of the line improves or B. Cassel finally is able to step up when being pressured that game in Detroit is going to be a very difficult one.We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping/expecting to see a different kind of performance, from both the interior line and the quarterback, when Breaston and Baldwin are seeing some time on the outside, as opposed to, say, Tucker and Curtis.

Theoretically speaking, it should make a difference, on multiple levels of the defense, having to account for more than just Bowe and Moeaki. Riskier to commit guys to pressuring the quarterback, more difficult to double team receivers (I mean, there actually are receivers, plural, instead of just one).

It may consequently open the run game even further as well, as hard as that may be to imagine.

BossChief

Not one.

If Suh was matching up against just Weigmann, Casey better lube up....but that will not be the case.

Weigmann + Asamoah will be able to hold Suh back enough to get him frustrated and by then he will be turning and running to try and make the tackle on the open receiver that made the catch.

Their only chance to win is if they get 4 or 5 forced and recovered fumbles and a special teams touchdown or two.

Otherwise, we gonna rape faces.

Brock
Hali the one gone be doin some rapin in that game

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
When Detroit is owned in week 2 at home by a Division Championship team, they wii feel like they've always felt.

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Suh is so awesome the Lions gave up 23 points per game last year.

OH HOW WILL THE CHIEFS EVER BEAT THAT DEFENSE

Chocolate Hog
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
The thing is, with the addition of Breaston and Baldwin, as well the change in the interior of the line, which makes them younger, stronger and more mobile, this offense should be able to take advantage of the defense's agressive style that Gunther likes to employ.

They should be able to keep them off balance so that it minimizes their interior strength.

Let's hope so. This will be the first time ever I'm cheering against Suh and everytime that guy plays against a good team he fucking brings it. I have good reason to be nervous.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
http://regretfulmorning.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/PRIVATE_PYLE.jpg

Dave Lane
08-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Suh plays NT?

KC Tattoo
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm optimistic not for just this season but for this decade to become a power house football team that is competing for Championships. Hard to say what record we will have this year with the schedule we have, but it sure should build a resilient team and if we happen to make the playoffs then we would have allready played the best the NFL has too offer.

I'm most exited that we have a GM that is building this thing through the draft, and willing to pull the trigger on a QB in the draft. We got play makers now and the team is only getting better with tallent and character.

This is an exiting year because we got some damn good draft classes over the last few years that are going to become a team to reckon with.

We got alot of good shit going on for offense (as long as Cassel doesn't muck it up) and defense that we are going to be a well ballanced team. Regardless of record I think we are on the right path to become great. That's what I'm exited about even if we have more growing pains we are on the right path.

KCBOSS1
08-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Why not be optimistic?

sportsman1
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
No step back.. this year will start consistency. Charles is in prime, receiving corps are progressing, defense is gaining experience, oline is revamped too. I agree I am stoked for the decade ahead. Now just to find somewhere around here to watch the games...

BigChiefFan
08-07-2011, 11:54 PM
I really don't think the schedule is as tough as some are suggesting.

thurman merman
08-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I really don't think the schedule is as tough as some are suggesting.

Other than the 5-game stretch (NE, PIT, CHI, NYJ, GB) it's not too shabby. But that's a brutal 5-game stretch.

BossChief
08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Other than the 5-game stretch (NE, PIT, CHI, NYJ, GB) it's not too shabby. But that's a brutal 5-game stretch.

its pretty much a stretch you want a young team to go on to get into the playoffs, though.

If we make it through that storm, we should have a good chance at winning a playoff game because we should be playing at a playoff level going into the postseason.

sportsman1
08-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Wait.. you mean we could actually win a playoff game? I never though that was a goal or remote possibility lol.

notorious
08-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Suh is so awesome the Lions gave up 23 points per game last year.

OH HOW WILL THE CHIEFS EVER BEAT THAT DEFENSE

An "Analyst" on ESPN said that he picked Detroit to go to the playoffs until Farley got injured.

Really? A rookie NT is going to be the difference? :facepalm:

notorious
08-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Oh buddy, you weren't a Chief fand through the 70's and 80's did you?

4-12, 2-14, 4-12 along with the most retarded coach in the NFL can not be matched in our history.

BossChief
08-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Fairley was very overrated, anyway.

I saw him as another "when I want to" player.

I really wanted Denver to draft him.

Dave Lane
08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
4-12, 2-14, 4-12 along with the most retarded coach in the NFL can not be matched in our history.

And the worst GM in the history of the game.

frankotank
08-09-2011, 09:21 AM
OK, I've been out for a while and last I was in this thread I mentioned that Cassel is ranked 7th or 8th. then someone said yeah in the AFC. I said that was funny and then a discussion commenced on how he IS 7th or 8th in the AFC. I know some think stats don't mean much, I can see aound the corner to both sides of that argument, but he IS ranked on many sites 7th or 8th in the entire league, not just the AFC. why all the Cass-tility? now he's got new weapons. so...I'm optimistic. matter of fact I think he could do more than improve. he just may stomp some serious ass this year.

below is top ten from this link.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2010/seasontype/2

Tom Brady, QB
Philip Rivers, QB
Aaron Rodgers, QB
Michael Vick, QB
Ben Roethlisberger, QB
Josh Freeman, QB
Joe Flacco, QB
Matt Cassel, QB
Matt Schaub, QB
Peyton Manning, QB

Shox
08-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Our schedule is going to be tough, but so is the Chargers who are still probably the team to beat in the division with Rivers. But, I think the Charges window is closing, they seem to be losing talent faster than they are gaining it.

If we take care of business against Oakland and Denver and split with San Diego it should be dog fight to the end. AFCW could be the 2010 NFCW.....division winner could have a losing record.

Chargers Schedule
Sun. Sept. 11 Minnesota 1:15 pm FOX
Sun. Sept. 18 at New England 1:15 pm CBS
Sun. Sept. 25 Kansas City 1:05 pm CBS
Sun. Oct. 2 Miami 1:15 pm CBS
Sun. Oct. 9 at Denver 1:15 pm CBS
BYE WEEK
Sun. Oct. 23 at New York Jets 10:00 am CBS
Mon. Oct. 31 at Kansas City 5:30 pm ESPN
Sun. Nov. 6 Green Bay 1:15 pm FOX
Thur. Nov. 10 Oakland 5:20 pm NFLN
Sun. Nov. 20 at Chicago* 1:15 pm CBS
Sun. Nov 27 Denver* 1:15 pm CBS
Mon. Dec 5 at Jacksonville 5:30 pm ESPN
Sun. Dec 11 Buffalo* 1:15 pm CBS
Sun. Dec 18 Baltimore* 5:20 pm NBC
Sat. Dec. 24 at Detroit 1:05 pm CBS
Sun. Jan 1 at Oakland* 1:15 pm CBS Need a Hotel?

suzzer99
08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
And the worst GM in the history of the game.

Come on. Carl had his moments. He just hung around about 7 years too long.

vailpass
08-09-2011, 12:24 PM
OK, I've been out for a while and last I was in this thread I mentioned that Cassel is ranked 7th or 8th. then someone said yeah in the AFC. I said that was funny and then a discussion commenced on how he IS 7th or 8th in the AFC. I know some think stats don't mean much, I can see aound the corner to both sides of that argument, but he IS ranked on many sites 7th or 8th in the entire league, not just the AFC. why all the Cass-tility? now he's got new weapons. so...I'm optimistic. matter of fact I think he could do more than improve. he just may stomp some serious ass this year.

below is top ten from this link.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2010/seasontype/2

Tom Brady, QB
Philip Rivers, QB
Aaron Rodgers, QB
Michael Vick, QB
Ben Roethlisberger, QB
Josh Freeman, QB
Joe Flacco, QB
Matt Cassel, QB
Matt Schaub, QB
Peyton Manning, QB

:LOL:

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-09-2011, 12:28 PM
:LOL:

:spock: It's a list of how they finished last year as far as QB Rating, not how they ranked the QB's. It's a fact based post, not opinion.

vailpass
08-09-2011, 12:34 PM
:spock: It's a list of how they finished last year as far as QB Rating, not how they ranked the QB's. It's a fact based post, not opinion.

Got ya'. I thought the poster was insinuating Cassell belonged among those QBs listed.

Cephalic Trauma
08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Somebody needs to make an ESPN power ranking thread. They're up but i can't post a link or make a new thread. B.S.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Got ya'. I thought the poster was insinuating Cassell belonged among those QBs listed.

Yeah, I thought I'd bail the fella out. Noone in thier right mind would rank Cassel over Peyton.

vailpass
08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I thought I'd bail the fella out. Noone in thier right mind would rank Cassel over Peyton.

Though it can't be much longer before the machine starts to fail Peyton to the point where he isn't Peyton anymore.

sedated
08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
An "Analyst" on ESPN said that he picked Detroit to go to the playoffs until Farley got injured.

Really? A rookie NT is going to be the difference? :facepalm:

Detroit strikes me as the NFL version of the Tampa Rays. They might be getting better, but in their division they have to be extraordinary to sniff the playoffs.

rocknrolla
08-09-2011, 01:34 PM
its pretty much a stretch you want a young team to go on to get into the playoffs, though.

If we make it through that storm, we should have a good chance at winning a playoff game because we should be playing at a playoff level going into the postseason.

And the confidence they have going into the post season will be sky high. I think this young team is fortunate to have this rough schedule two years into rebuilding. I think it's perfect timing.

frankotank
08-09-2011, 04:07 PM

hey I didn't make that list, ESPN did. don't blame ME! I am just trying to understand WHY all the outright hatred of the guy? personally I don't think Cassel is as good as this list indicates. but the list uses stats and this is where he landed. 8th. why is this something to be completely dismissed? I don't believe him to be the walking turd some of you make him out to be.

whoman69
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm looking at the schedule and seeing that we could get off to a good start and just keep things rolling.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
hey I didn't make that list, ESPN did. don't blame ME! I am just trying to understand WHY all the outright hatred of the guy? personally I don't think Cassel is as good as this list indicates. but the list uses stats and this is where he landed. 8th. why is this something to be completely dismissed? I don't believe him to be the walking turd some of you make him out to be.

I know that. I was sticking up for you. :thumb:

ChiefsCountry
08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Detroit strikes me as the NFL version of the Tampa Rays. They might be getting better, but in their division they have to be extraordinary to sniff the playoffs.

Thats funny bc the Rays have the won AL East 2 out of the last 3 years.

kaplin42
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IJ_R-G_i4Xk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey man, I hope you are keeping the faith on this team. Because all i saw was tonight was that my initial thoughts on the season are dead on your initial reaction means that you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

I know its a preseason game and doesnt mean shit, but guess what, its a preseason game for the other team too, and they trounced us. I missed the first half of the 1st quarter, so i didn't see Cassel at all, don't even know if he through the ball or not. But i did see the team completely fail it up till the middle of the 3rd quarter when i finally decided to turn it off and do something fun.

This year is going to suck out loud.

Deberg_1990
08-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey man, I hope you are keeping the faith on this team. Because all i saw was tonight was that my initial thoughts on the season are dead on your initial reaction means that you need to take off the rose colored glasses.

I know its a preseason game and doesnt mean shit, but guess what, its a preseason game for the other team too, and they trounced us. I missed the first half of the 1st quarter, so i didn't see Cassel at all, don't even know if he through the ball or not. But i did see the team completely fail it up till the middle of the 3rd quarter when i finally decided to turn it off and do something fun.

Have fun wallowing in your preseason misery

Spott
08-12-2011, 10:08 PM
With that virtually guaranteed 5 game losing streak waiting on us in the second half of the season, it's hard to be optimistic.

Reerun_KC
08-12-2011, 10:10 PM
With that virtually guaranteed 5 game losing streak waiting on us in the second half of the season, it's hard to be optimistic.

Well unfortantly for the Chiefs, That why the NFL choses to play the schedule instead of just giving up...

You cant determine the future, let alone predict whats going to happen over the course of the season.

ITS always so easy to be negative Nancy vs wanting to play the season out...

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I know its a preseason game and doesnt mean shit, but guess what, its a preseason game for the other team too, and they trounced us. I missed the first half of the 1st quarter, so i didn't see Cassel at all, don't even know if he through the ball or not.He didn't throw a pass. They didn't play (this is going from memory) Wiegmann, Charles, Breaston or McClain, and Baldwin didn't play with the 1s. On the other side, Gregg and Flowers didn't play, DJ, Carr and Berry didn't play more than a couple of series. The Chiefs were subbing in 3rd string guys midway through the 1st quarter. The Bucs kept their offensive starters (including Freeman) in much later than I would have expected, basically the entire first quarter - I didn't pay as much attention to their defense but the impression I had was the same.

There were a few guys playing near the end of the game for the Chiefs who'd been playing since the 2nd quarter (if not the first). Several of the rookies seemed to play an awful lot of downs. Which I have no problem with, it's just something I'm not used to seeing. It would have been the combination of protecting so many starters (from injury...) and having (I think) a smaller than usual roster. I would venture a guess that the majority of the players on the field in KC uniforms in the second half will not be on the team in September, or if they are, won't be taking snaps for much outside of special teams.

The only real concern I had at the end of the game is that the offensive line looked consistently bad the whole night, regardless of which string it was. Other than that, I didn't really think there was a whole lot to be taken out of the game. They were getting a lot of guys on tape, that seemed to be all they were worried about.

RedThat
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM

I'll admit, at first I was pissed and freaked out a little. But as the game progressed, I kind of had this feeling that the Chiefs were treating this game like a practice. I know that may sound obsurd, but that is the way I saw it.

Chiefs used this game for the sole purpose of player/roster evaluation. You know just to see which backups are outplaying other backups sorta thing. I really don't think Haley was concerned whether they'd win or lose. Tampa Bay on the other hand, treated this like an actual game.

Haley approached this game a lot differently then Morris. He wanted to rest some of his starters and did. Heck, most of the time we had our 2nd stringers playing TB's first string offense.

I don't think the chiefs come out and perform the same way they did tonight to start the season. If they do, I'll be very surprised. This team is way way better than that performance we seen displayed tonight.

Point is, we shouldn't be panicing at all.

kaplin42
08-12-2011, 10:36 PM
All i can say is that i love the optimism you guys have.

But I didn't see one thing that gave me even a hint of it. So what if they are backups, they should at least make a play, and it didn't look like any got made.

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
All i can say is that i love the optimism you guys have.Nothing optimistic about what I said there. Just passing on what happened on the field. Read it any way you want.

I went into the game not expecting to take a whole lot out. The first preseason game is usually useless when they have a full offseason. You can't ever really judge teams at this point, win or lose.

Next two weeks are a different story. The starters usually stretch out a little in week two, and then there's usually some game planning and maybe two quarters and a series or two into the third for the starters in week three. Those are the games I tend to pay the most attention to (the fourth is usually about as useless as the first).

But preseason week one? I wouldn't worry too much. Particularly when it was obvious from the opening gun that the Chiefs did not care an iota about anything other than getting starters through the game without injury.

(I'd be saying exactly the same thing if the game had been flipped and they'd won easily...)

ReynardMuldrake
08-12-2011, 11:00 PM
All i can say is that i love the optimism you guys have.

But I didn't see one thing that gave me even a hint of it. So what if they are backups, they should at least make a play, and it didn't look like any got made.

You can't judge the quality of the team from the score tonight. The team that was out there in no way resembles the team that will be fielded for the regular season.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-13-2011, 09:02 AM

ROFL Seriously???

TEX
08-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I'll admit, at first I was pissed and freaked out a little. But as the game progressed, I kind of had this feeling that the Chiefs were treating this game like a practice. I know that may sound obsurd, but that is the way I saw it.

Chiefs used this game for the sole purpose of player/roster evaluation. You know just to see which backups are outplaying other backups sorta thing. I really don't think Haley was concerned whether they'd win or lose. Tampa Bay on the other hand, treated this like an actual game.

Haley approached this game a lot differently then Morris. He wanted to rest some of his starters and did. Heck, most of the time we had our 2nd stringers playing TB's first string offense.

I don't think the chiefs come out and perform the same way they did tonight to start the season. If they do, I'll be very surprised. This team is way way better than that performance we seen displayed tonight.

Point is, we shouldn't be panicing at all.

So - are they gonna cut eveyone and start over?

-King-
08-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Life lesson: If Dion Gales is starting a game, you shouldn't take that game seriously.
Posted via Mobile Device

Messier
08-13-2011, 10:22 AM
If Quinten Lawrence plays most of the game at corner you shouldn't take the game seriously.

Brock
08-13-2011, 10:35 AM

LOL, stupid fans.

the Talking Can
08-13-2011, 10:53 AM

if you are making any judgements about the team based on last night, you're a fucking moron...