PDA

View Full Version : Life For all you golfers, I need your help.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I recently had a broken Callaway driver so I sent it in and got a new RAZR Hawk sent back to me free of charge. I can't hit the RAZR Hawk near as good and I have another Cobra driver so I am considering getting rid of the Callaway. I am currently hitting Titleist 735 CM irons and I am debating on wether or not to rid of the driver and look at a new set of irons for around $250. I am looking at possibly getting a set of Mizuno MP-33's but don't know if they are going to differ too much from my 735's to be worth it.

If any of you guys have input on wether I should try the MP-33's or if there is another set I should be looking for please let me know.

Basically I am just looking at my options to get rid of the RAZR hawk and put the money back in to my bag, heck a driver may even be possible, for all you golfers you know how this goes.

P.S.- I have always been Titleist biased when it comes to irons. :drool:

D-Train6906
08-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Stick to the 735's

lcarus
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Try the Titleist 910D2 instead of the RAZR Hawk.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Stick to the 735's

That's what I am thinking, think I should just put the money back in to a driver?

acarter25
08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Try the Titleist 910D2 instead of the RAZR Hawk.

may be out of my price range though. do you hit one?

BWillie
08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Equipment doesn't matter. If you suck at golf, you will still suck at golf. Only thing that might help is adding types of equipment. Like more wedges to help your shortgame. Adding hybrids if you can't hit long irons. Etc.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Equipment doesn't matter. If you suck at golf, you will still suck at golf. Only thing that might help is adding types of equipment. Like more wedges to help your shortgame. Adding hybrids if you can't hit long irons. Etc.

Wrong. I am about a 3 handicap, equipment matters and makes a huge difference. Different clubs fit to different swings and styles of players.

Phobia
08-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Like more wedges to help your shortgame.

About 10 years ago, I added a 52, 56, and 60 degree titleist wedges to my bag to help my short game. It hasn't. It never did. My short game continues to be my achilles heel.

BWillie
08-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Wrong. I am about a 3 handicap, equipment matters and makes a huge difference. Different clubs fit to different swings and styles of players.

I used to be a -1, more about a 4 now. Used to play in college. As long as it's custom for you (shaft, fitted, etc), I don't think there is a big difference between the top of the line and the cheaper ones. Obviously I'm not talking about Wal-Mart stuff here, but people greatly exagerrate how much equipment matters. Especially those guys that can't break 90. But even for you and me, doesn't really make much of a diff. I think if anything it's in your head or maybe it just makes you more comfortable. Just IMHO

BWillie
08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
About 10 years ago, I added a 52, 56, and 60 degree titleist wedges to my bag to help my short game. It hasn't. It never did. My short game continues to be my achilles heel.

Yeah, mine too. I just got a new odyssey 2ball putter because I miss short putts all the time. I still miss short putts lol.

Donger
08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks to the scumbag who stole my bag yesterday, I'm in the market for a new set. I've been playing with my boy every week and I think I'm ready to move beyond the WalMart Dunlops this idiot stole.

Any suggestions?

Garcia Bronco
08-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Look at the Miz JP's, but it sounds like you like blades.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 01:56 PM
I used to be a -1, more about a 4 now. Used to play in college. As long as it's custom for you (shaft, fitted, etc), I don't think there is a big difference between the top of the line and the cheaper ones. Obviously I'm not talking about Wal-Mart stuff here, but people greatly exagerrate how much equipment matters. Especially those guys that can't break 90. But even for you and me, doesn't really make much of a diff. IMO

Yeah, I hear ya there. I see what you are getting at now. I just can't decide what to put this money to. I am currently hitting a 60 and a 52, considered trying a 56 but then again don't know if I would benefit a lot from that either.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Look at the Miz JP's, but it sounds like you like blades.

yeah i am a blade guy, got to have the feedback!

acarter25
08-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I considered maybe the Ping i3's but then again, don't know if it will make too much a difference.

Garcia Bronco
08-07-2011, 01:58 PM

That's too many options. Lose the 60, maybe keep the 52, and play with the 56.

Garcia Bronco
08-07-2011, 02:03 PM
yeah i am a blade guy, got to have the feedback!

If you play Mizuno's and you are having problems, get the lies checked. They are a softer metal and can get out whack.

philfree
08-07-2011, 02:03 PM

I know absolutey nothing about the drivers on todays market. I've hated the oversize stuff since they first came out with it. I do like Mizuno though. I play a set of MP-15s and like them alot. Since you're a low handicap player the MP-33s would definately be a good way to go.

Garcia Bronco
08-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I had two putts today for birdie and walked away with bogey in our club champ today.

Demonpenz
08-07-2011, 02:06 PM
i added + 5 to me accuracy in tiger woods

acarter25
08-07-2011, 02:07 PM
I know absolutey nothing about the drivers on todays market. I've hated the oversize stuff since they first came out with it. I do like Mizuno though. I play a set of MP-15s and like them alot. Since you're a low handicap player the MP-33s would definately be a good way to go.

Yeah, i've heard nothing but good things about Mizuno but never had a chance to hit them. Just don't know if it'd be enough of an upgrade over my 735's.

Garcia Bronco
08-07-2011, 02:14 PM
i added + 5 to me accuracy in tiger woods

I am almost unbeatable in that game.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I will just put it this way: In the bag currently I have Cobra S9-1 9.5 or razr hawk driver, nike sasquatch 3 wood, cleveland 2i hybrid, titleist 735 cm irons, vokey 52 and 60 wedges and scotty cameron newport 2 putter.

I am basically looking at what i could do to put the money back in to my bag, i love my putter and my 52. Hit the 3 wood decent but could use an upgrade as it is getting worn out as well as my hybrid so im probably good in those spots. not completely sold on my driver, hit my cobra longer and more solid than my callaway. my irons are pretty solid, just not 100% sold on them.

Basically I am looking at either, a new wedge, new driver, new irons, or possibly 3 wood. I just typically like to keep my money where its at, so if I sell the driver, I want to keep the money in my bag and I could use some upgrades.

philfree
08-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah, i've heard nothing but good things about Mizuno but never had a chance to hit them. Just don't know if it'd be enough of an upgrade over my 735's.

There's no way to tell unless you give it shot.

I used to be an all Hogan guy but they pretty much went to crap and then the metal wood thing didn't help either. So I went with the Mizuno's and I have liked them ever since.

Here's a 1978 Ben Hogan Classic in mint condition. A beautiful golf club.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/philfree/golf/DSCN0627.jpg

NaptownChief
08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
If you are looking at the MP33's then I would highly recommend the MP32's...all the benefits of the 33's with a little bit more forgiveness due to the cut muscle and moving some weight around. I played the 32's for the last 5 or so years and loved them. I bought a new set of MP52's this winter and they are also similar to the 32 but a little more forgiving as well. They are still a blade technically but much closer to a cb than the 32.

As for the driver, don't be afraid to go with what works. I have been playing a TM r5 for several years and every year would look at the new stuff but could never find one better for me. This year I broke down and bought the r11 figured it was just time to "upgrade" my technology. The r11 I had plenty of good drives but very inconsistent. Push it to the right then next hole a hard draw then back to the right and just all over the place. Well I loaned a buddy my r5 and on the 11th hole today after being tired of the army drives I said let me hit my r5 this time.....Bam right down the midde with a little draw....next hole Bam right down the middle with a little draw. Went that way the rest of the round. I was 25 yards longer on average and in the middle of the fairway. So the r11 was sold to my buddy and the r5 is back in the bag.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 03:03 PM
If you are looking at the MP33's then I would highly recommend the MP32's...all the benefits of the 33's with a little bit more forgiveness due to the cut muscle and moving some weight around. I played the 32's for the last 5 or so years and loved them. I bought a new set of MP52's this winter and they are also similar to the 32 but a little more forgiving as well. They are still a blade technically but much closer to a cb than the 32.

As for the driver, don't be afraid to go with what works. I have been playing a TM r5 for several years and every year would look at the new stuff but could never find one better for me. This year I broke down and bought the r11 figured it was just time to "upgrade" my technology. The r11 I had plenty of good drives but very inconsistent. Push it to the right then next hole a hard draw then back to the right and just all over the place. Well I loaned a buddy my r5 and on the 11th hole today after being tired of the army drives I said let me hit my r5 this time.....Bam right down the midde with a little draw....next hole Bam right down the middle with a little draw. Went that way the rest of the round. I was 25 yards longer on average and in the middle of the fairway. So the r11 was sold to my buddy and the r5 is back in the bag.

yeah i think you are right, i may hang on to the Cobra driver and just go with a 56 degree and call it good. Eventually the MP 32s may end up in the bag, just have to try them having heard all these good things.

ku_jhawk23
08-07-2011, 03:12 PM
what Callaway driver did you have that broke?

Also, shaft actually matters more than anyone realizes. For alot of people, the shaft matters more than the clubhead. Does your new shaft have the same properties as your old?

acarter25
08-07-2011, 03:16 PM
what Callaway driver did you have that broke?

Also, shaft actually matters more than anyone realizes. For alot of people, the shaft matters more than the clubhead. Does your new shaft have the same properties as your old?

It was the FT-IQ Tour, it split on the seam behind the face. The new shaft is the Aldila RIP compared to the fubuki 60 on the FT, for the most part they have to same properties.

Miles
08-07-2011, 03:24 PM
You might try some AP-2's.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM
You might try some AP-2's.

Wanted those ever since they came out, just don't know if I could afford them.

ku_jhawk23
08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
It was the FT-IQ Tour, it split on the seam behind the face. The new shaft is the Aldila RIP compared to the fubuki 60 on the FT, for the most part they have to same properties.

The reason I ask is because I just blew up my FT-5 the same way. The Razr has essentially the same properties as the FT-5 and 9. The biggest reason you probably aren't hitting it the same is becasue the FT-IQ is a square head. The square Callaways play nothing at all like the standard style heads. Most Cobra's are offset, which will play a little more like a square than a standard Callaway. You also might try trading in your Razr for a Diablo. The Diablo is a different model than the fusion lines of Callaway.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 04:01 PM
The reason I ask is because I just blew up my FT-5 the same way. The Razr has essentially the same properties as the FT-5 and 9. The biggest reason you probably aren't hitting it the same is becasue the FT-IQ is a square head. The square Callaways play nothing at all like the standard style heads. Most Cobra's are offset, which will play a little more like a square than a standard Callaway. You also might try trading in your Razr for a Diablo. The Diablo is a different model than the fusion lines of Callaway.

Thats probably why I always hit cobras better than any others, the first cobra i had was offset but the last 2 have not been. I generally hit cobras the best. I may look in to the Diablo or I may just keep the S9-1

Miles
08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I used to be a -1, more about a 4 now. Used to play in college. As long as it's custom for you (shaft, fitted, etc), I don't think there is a big difference between the top of the line and the cheaper ones. Obviously I'm not talking about Wal-Mart stuff here, but people greatly exagerrate how much equipment matters. Especially those guys that can't break 90. But even for you and me, doesn't really make much of a diff. I think if anything it's in your head or maybe it just makes you more comfortable. Just IMHO

I agree to some extent. It won't make a shitty golfer suddenly decent and a good part of it is likely mental/confidence related.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I agree to some extent. It won't make a shitty golfer suddenly decent and a good part of it is likely mental/confidence related.

80% of the game

Miles
08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Wanted those ever since they came out, just don't know if I could afford them.

When I was shopping for irons last winter I seriously considered these but they were probably a bit too much club for my off days. Seems like the first generation AP-2s were going for around 400-450 but the second generation were around 550 used. The second gen paired with a KBS shaft is pretty damn impressive.

Miles
08-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks to the scumbag who stole my bag yesterday, I'm in the market for a new set. I've been playing with my boy every week and I think I'm ready to move beyond the WalMart Dunlops this idiot stole.

Any suggestions?

Hard to go wrong with Callaway or Ping. Maybe a set of used Callaway X-20 or X-22s. Ebay is a great place to buy used but if you don't care for ebay http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/ or http://www.3balls.com are also a good place to look.

Miles
08-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I hear ya there. I see what you are getting at now. I just can't decide what to put this money to. I am currently hitting a 60 and a 52, considered trying a 56 but then again don't know if I would benefit a lot from that either.

Do you have a big yardage gap between your 52 and 60? IMO a 56 is mandatory scoring club if you carry a gap and a 60.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Do you have a big yardage gap between your 52 and 60? IMO a 56 is mandatory scoring club if you carry a gap and a 60.

Yeah there is quite a bit between the 2, I'm not too confident in my 60 either.

Exoter175
08-07-2011, 06:37 PM
If you're not confident in your wedges, you should definitely stick with your 735's and not try the MP33's. Confidence in your clubs starts from the ground up, literally. Start with your 60 and work up. Get a feel for your yardage, your tempo, start working different shot types and finesse and move to the next club.

That being said, check out some AP2's, I'm in love with mine and like you (the OP) I tend to be brand-specific throughout most of my bag. I've got Vokey 52,56, and 60's with my AP2's, and Scotty Cameron Newport putter. There are three clubs in my bag that do not say Titleist. My driver (Taylor Made), my 3 wood which my father and I made 8 or 9 years ago from parts from a Golfsmith catalog (resembles the old King Cobra 3 woods when they went to a larger more oval face) and my 3 iron Hybrid from Adams.

I've had my eye on a Titleist driver for a while now, but I don't think I'd ever be able to give up my custom 3 wood or my hybrid 3 iron and make the whole bag Titleist :D

ChiefsNow
08-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Be the ball

NaptownChief
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
yeah i think you are right, i may hang on to the Cobra driver and just go with a 56 degree and call it good. Eventually the MP 32s may end up in the bag, just have to try them having heard all these good things.

If you like the 33's then you will really like the 32's...I had the 33's before the 32's came out and was very happy with the change. Still love the 32's but as I keep getting older and more out of shape the additional forgiveness of the 52's were a good next progression for me before I end up with a bag full of hybrids and shovels in another decade.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 07:57 PM

If you're not confident in your wedges, you should definitely stick with your 735's and not try the MP33's. Confidence in your clubs starts from the ground up, literally. Start with your 60 and work up. Get a feel for your yardage, your tempo, start working different shot types and finesse and move to the next club.

That being said, check out some AP2's, I'm in love with mine and like you (the OP) I tend to be brand-specific throughout most of my bag. I've got Vokey 52,56, and 60's with my AP2's, and Scotty Cameron Newport putter. There are three clubs in my bag that do not say Titleist. My driver (Taylor Made), my 3 wood which my father and I made 8 or 9 years ago from parts from a Golfsmith catalog (resembles the old King Cobra 3 woods when they went to a larger more oval face) and my 3 iron Hybrid from Adams.

I've had my eye on a Titleist driver for a while now, but I don't think I'd ever be able to give up my custom 3 wood or my hybrid 3 iron and make the whole bag Titleist :D

Yeah I hear ya, I wish I had a lot more time to get out to the range. Also yes I have heard good things about the AP's and have always wanted them.. For now i think i am just going to stick with the 735s and wait a while for upgrade. I went out tonight and the irons felt pretty good for the first time in a while. Everything was solid and only had 1-2 mis-hits. Thanks for the input

NaptownChief
08-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I tend to be brand-specific throughout most of my bag

Boy not me....No loyalty here. I will whore myself out to anything and any company that can shave a half a stroke off my card. Mizuno irons, callaway wedges, Rife 2 bar putter, Cleveland Launcher 3 wood, Mizuno 5 wood, TM hybrids, TM driver....and that is just what is in the bag right now. The garage has Cameron, Bettinardi, YES, Carbite putters, Adams hybrids and irons, about 10 different drivers and a ton of other hybrids and fairway woods. I even have a couple of women's fairway woods out there that went into the bag for a few weeks. I'm only loyal to whatever is working at that given moment.

acarter25
08-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I am seriously considering ordering a Nickent 4dx driver, have heard nothing but good things about these and I have heard it is a huge sleeper although they are out of business. And you can pick one up for about 50 bucks so why not try it. Anyone have any experience?

Exoter175
08-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Boy not me....No loyalty here. I will whore myself out to anything and any company that can shave a half a stroke off my card. Mizuno irons, callaway wedges, Rife 2 bar putter, Cleveland Launcher 3 wood, Mizuno 5 wood, TM hybrids, TM driver....and that is just what is in the bag right now. The garage has Cameron, Bettinardi, YES, Carbite putters, Adams hybrids and irons, about 10 different drivers and a ton of other hybrids and fairway woods. I even have a couple of women's fairway woods out there that went into the bag for a few weeks. I'm only loyal to whatever is working at that given moment.

Oh, I have quite the collection of clubs myself, I just tend to be very brand specific with my irons/wedges more than anything. Hell I've got as many Odyssey putters as I do have Titleist/Scotty Cameron putters in my house. I've got a ton of drivers of various makes and models, and a few sets of irons.

The Hilarious part is I've got a set of AP1's, AP2's, DCI Oversize+ (gold), DCI Oversize+ (Black), and then some ping i3's I believe.

I just play by feel more than anything. I've got plenty of distance from my lob wedge to my driver, but to me, control is paramount. Titleist Irons/Wedges to me, tend to feel better and have better control which is why I get really brand specific with them. Although Ping/Callaway are pretty high up there for me and I've played several of their iron sets in my lifetime.

Gonzo
08-08-2011, 06:31 AM
I hit Mizuno irons and have been in love with them since I bought them. The control is amazing and they have a big sweet spot. I also only need to swing them about 75% to get the same distance I used to get with my old Nike irons.
I would at least try them out and see what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

acarter25
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Oh, I have quite the collection of clubs myself, I just tend to be very brand specific with my irons/wedges more than anything. Hell I've got as many Odyssey putters as I do have Titleist/Scotty Cameron putters in my house. I've got a ton of drivers of various makes and models, and a few sets of irons.

The Hilarious part is I've got a set of AP1's, AP2's, DCI Oversize+ (gold), DCI Oversize+ (Black), and then some ping i3's I believe.

I just play by feel more than anything. I've got plenty of distance from my lob wedge to my driver, but to me, control is paramount. Titleist Irons/Wedges to me, tend to feel better and have better control which is why I get really brand specific with them. Although Ping/Callaway are pretty high up there for me and I've played several of their iron sets in my lifetime.

Living the dream, wish I had one set of AP's :wayne:

acarter25
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I hit Mizuno irons and have been in love with them since I bought them. The control is amazing and they have a big sweet spot. I also only need to swing them about 75% to get the same distance I used to get with my old Nike irons.
I would at least try them out and see what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

This seems to be the common verdict.

Los Pollos Hermanos
08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I would just hire Steve Williams. That'll fix everything.

- CFoD -

Exoter175
08-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Living the dream, wish I had one set of AP's :wayne:

I got a KILLER deal on the AP1's on Ebay and a damned good deal from a friend on the AP2's in "Like new" condition, I couldn't turn them down, even if my bank account hurt a little from the purchase :D