PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Would you pay $20 to see a movie?

sd4chiefs
08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
My Wife and I went to see the new Ape movie last night at the newly remodeled movie theater. The leather recliners were great but I don't think I will be going back any time soon.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/06/swanky-multiplex-is-rich-with-contradictions/

Latin America’s swanky Cinepolis Luxury Cinema chain has just opened its first U.S. multiplex in the Del Mar Highlands Town Center shopping mall, where you can watch the latest box-office hits from the comfort of your own leather recliner while sipping a glass of wine and nibbling on gourmet popcorn.

Once you’re inside one of Cinepolis’ eight theaters, your ticket guarantees you an incredibly comfortable leather recliner and all of the generous leg room that comes with it. Each seat is also equipped with a nifty little table for your food, along with a button to summon a waiter if you get a hankering for tiramisu in the middle of a fight scene.

J Diddy
08-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Well at least they're finally throwing in some swank to go with the high price. Here in Joplin a 3d movie will cost you about $15. If I had the option to go with a waiter and leather recliner I would definitely pay the $5 extra.

cardken
08-07-2011, 07:56 PM
The movie going experience has gone way over the top. Between 3D movies and waiters , the whole world treats the Cinema experience like their Living Rooms. Texting, Cell Rings, talking aloud. Just another grim reminder that there is no social decorum, and as to why I'd rather stay at home and watch them on my 60 inch Plasma, with Surround sound, and save a few bucks.

|Zach|
08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Around here food is included with the price...which makes it all make more sense to me at least.

suzzer99
08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Not to mention most major movies these days are dumbed-down dialogue and plot-wise so they'll play well internationally. $20 is a lot to pay for a bunch of CGI explosions and loud noises.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-07-2011, 08:05 PM
$20 no. I haven't paid the $7 our theaters charge in 2 or 3 years.

Guru
08-07-2011, 08:06 PM
No I would not.

I'm sure that is a HUGE surprise to every one here. LMAO

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Well at least they're finally throwing in some swank to go with the high price. Here in Joplin a 3d movie will cost you about $15. If I had the option to go with a waiter and leather recliner I would definitely pay the $5 extra.

That's interesting. Around here all the 3D movies are the same price as the regular movies.

Mr. Plow
08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
No I would not.

ROFL

I'm pissed that my piece of shit theater charges $8.50 per ticket.

|Zach|
I don't see a ton of movies so when I go I get a ticket and meal for myself or for someone I am with for around 20. Not really that bad. Nobody under 21 either which is big.

Count Alex's Losses
The movie going experience has gone way over the top. Between 3D movies and waiters , the whole world treats the Cinema experience like their Living Rooms. Texting, Cell Rings, talking aloud. Just another grim reminder that there is no social decorum, and as to why I'd rather stay at home and watch them on my 60 inch Plasma, with Surround sound, and save a few bucks.

If the movie is good typically the audience is well behaved.

I went to the new Harry Potter twice and both times you could hear a pin drop.

Baconeater
08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
They have one of those here in Omaha believe it or not. I'm surprised it hasn't gone out of business yet, I can see that going over on the west coast and other areas, but not in the midwest.

But to answer the question, fuck no. I wouldn't watch many of today's movies even if they were free.

|Zach|
08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
They have one of those here in Omaha believe it or not. I'm surprised it hasn't gone out of business yet, I can see that going over on the west coast and other areas, but not in the midwest.

But to answer the question, **** no. I wouldn't watch many of today's movies even if they were free.

It does pretty well here in KC. :shrug:

Bwana
08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Hell no!

Count Alex's Losses
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Think about all the bullshit you spend money on.

If you spend $20 on a good meal I see no reason why a movie should be any different.

|Zach|
08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Think about all the bullshit you spend money on.

If you spend $20 on a good meal I see no reason why a movie should be any different.

But that is the thing...for the same 20 at least around here you are getting both of those things.

Okie_Apparition
08-07-2011, 08:34 PM
How can you wank it in a squeeky leather chair? fuck that

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-07-2011, 08:36 PM
But that is the thing...for the same 20 at least around here you are getting both of those things.

In the case where you're getting a meal and a movie thats a big thing. I've never seen a theatre that does that. I might go to more movies if that was common.

If I can rent a movie I think looks good for $2 later and drink my own beer/beverage of choice while I do it, that's how I've gone for a long time now.... but I should probably qualify this by saying I'm not a movie buff. There are very few movies I think look good enough to even rent let alone pay theatre prices to see.

Demonpenz
08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't see movies at the theatre. I would pay 20 dollars to actually ensure I enjoy the experience though.

boogblaster
08-07-2011, 08:58 PM
no

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2011, 09:05 PM
No Dice, Chino.

Deberg_1990
08-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I would pay for this if Dinner was included, or on special occasions like date night with the wife. Not for every movie i see with my kids though.

Another gimmick besides 3D and IMAX now is DBOX seats. Basically they are moving/rumble chairs that move and vibrate with the action on screen. Like a Disney ride. That will run you 18-20 bucks down here.

SDChiefs
08-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Around here its 13 bucks for a 2D. So yeah, id spring the extra 7

RJ
08-07-2011, 09:24 PM

Is there still a drive-in in Calvert City?

Bump
08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I haven't seen a movie in theaters since the first transformers. so no, I wouldn't pay that.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I would pay for this if Dinner was included, or on special occasions like date night with the wife. Not for every movie i see with my kids though.

Another gimmick besides 3D and IMAX now is DBOX seats. Basically they are moving/rumble chairs that move and vibrate with the action on screen. Like a Disney ride. That will run you 18-20 bucks down here.

What you said.

That seat thing though sounds like a dumb gimmick I'd have to pass on though.

Molitoth
08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Nope. I can watch any movie at home without kids kicking my seat, chomping gum, and making out.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I haven't seen a movie in theaters since the first transformers. so no, I wouldn't pay that.

I've been trying to think of my last theatre experience. The last I can come up with was Avatar.

Bump
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Nope. I can watch any movie at home without kids kicking my seat, chomping gum, and making out.

people are just too rude and inconsiderate, every single time my theater experience is ruined by assholes, so I stopped going.

QuikSsurfer
08-07-2011, 09:33 PM
No I would not.

lol
Downtown plaza theater in KC has a similar VIP room -- prices were $15 a ticket.. This was before 3d movies kicked into gear, you see.

KurtCobain
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Around here food is included with the price...which makes it all make more sense to me at least.

Where's this? I don't get out much.

keg in kc
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I haven't done cinema suites, which would be the amc equivalent of the recliners, but i have done fork-and-spoon at the nearby AMC theater and while it's not something I do often, i've enjoyed the experience every time I've done it. I took my parents last summer and they loved it. It's just something different. Sort of combining dinner and a movie, and the prices did not seem outrageous when considered in that light (there's a certain amount of food included in the ticket price). If I dated or was involved with someone I could see myself doing it more.

DeezNutz
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I haven't done cinema suites, which would be the amc equivalent of the recliners, but i have done fork-and-spoon at the nearby AMC theater and while it's not something I do often, i've enjoyed the experience every time I've done it. I took my parents last summer and they loved it. It's just something different. Sort of combining dinner and a movie, and the prices did not seem outrageous when considered in that light (there's a certain amount of food included in the ticket price). If I dated or was involved with someone I could see myself doing it more.

My in-laws have done the fork and spoon thing and loved it. No empirical evidence here, though.

Al Bundy
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I see about 1 movie a year, so yes I would.

Molitoth
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
people are just too rude and inconsiderate, every single time my theater experience is ruined by assholes, so I stopped going.

Yup. Last movie I went to was the Dark Knight, and that was at 4:00pm on a Tuesday like a week after it came out. There was like 10 people there.

I do want to see a 3D movie eventually, but I'm guessing technology will be here soon where you don't even need to wear glasses for it.

keg in kc
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I actually haven't had a movie ruined since about 2002, thankfully, but it helps that I almost always pick obscure morning times on weekdays to go.

I like being able to walk in 5 minutes before showtime and sit dead center in any row I want....

(and tickets are much cheaper, it was $5 to see Captain America on a Saturday morning the weekend it opened)

cardken
08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Is there still a drive-in in Calvert City?
Sadly Yes, but never been. Have seen it while passing N. on 24.

Deberg_1990
08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I actually haven't had a movie ruined since about 2002, thankfully, but it helps that I almost always pick obscure morning times on weekdays to go.

I like being able to walk in 5 minutes before showtime and sit dead center in any row I want....

(and tickets are much cheaper, it was $5 to see Captain America on a Saturday morning the weekend it opened)

Yea, that is nice....i mostly go on Sat or Sun afternoons and have to show up 20-30 minutes early to get a decent seat. Especially on opening weekends.

SDChiefs
08-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Wtf? I've never heard of or seen anything like this. Im jealous.