PDA

View Full Version : Obama Is Obama really this tone deaf?

HonestChieffan
08-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Those among us who still support this President.....does this seem at all odd to you? One has to wonder does he know what he is saying? Is he incapable of reasoned thought?

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-calls-more-money-roads-bridges-and

(CNSNews.com) — In his weekly address on Saturday, President Barack Obama called for Congress to approve more money for a new—and vaguely defined—program to repair roads, bridges and airports as a means of creating jobs for construction workers.

The program, Obama said, would create jobs for workers who used to build houses by “by giving loans to companies that want to repair our roads and bridges and airports.”

The president did not explain how loaning money to a company that wants to help repair a road, bridge or airport would cause more roads, bridges or airports to be repaired and thus necessitate the hiring of more construction workers to repair them.

He also gave no details of the loan program he envisions—who would qualify for a government loan under it or on what terms the lenders would pay the taxpayers back.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm not a supporter but he isn't much more tone deaf than Republicrats. Ya' know Romney, Cain, Pawlenty, Gingrich etc.

Donger
08-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I actually watched some of the talking heads this weekend, and it was mentioned that Obama was looking at another stimulus centered around "infrastructure."

I really don't get what his fascination is with roads, bridges and trains. It's bizarre.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I actually watched some of the talking heads this weekend, and it was mentioned that Obama was looking at another stimulus centered around "infrastructure."

I really don't get what his fascination is with roads, bridges and trains. It's bizarre.

It's at best a temporary solution. It will artificially create some minor boost but when those projects end it collapses. Not a real long term viable solution. Plus it still siphoons funds from the private sector which is what needs to recover—NOT the govt sector.

petegz28
08-08-2011, 10:25 AM

A buddy of mine was saying that the new stimulus would include a 4% tax on 401k plans. I have not been able to find that and haven't had a chance to ask him where he saw that but he said he was researching the new stimulus and noticed that.

Bob Dole
08-08-2011, 10:39 AM
As long as they devote a portion of the fund to making Arkansas pull its collective head out of its ass and fucking finish their portion of I-49, Bob Dole is in.

(Holy crap...Bob Dole sounded just like a senator.)

BucEyedPea
08-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Bob Dole was a senator.

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 10:43 AM
A buddy of mine was saying that the new stimulus would include a 4% tax on 401k plans. I have not been able to find that and haven't had a chance to ask him where he saw that but he said he was researching the new stimulus and noticed that.

Did he get that from Tom Cash's e-mail list?

CoMoChief
08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
lol

cdcox
08-08-2011, 11:00 AM
It's at best a temporary solution. It will artificially create some minor boost but when those projects end it collapses. Not a real long term viable solution. Plus it still siphoons funds from the private sector which is what needs to recover—NOT the govt sector.

America's existing infrastructure is in need of a major overhaul. There are hundreds of bridges in similar condition as the bridge that collapsed in Minnesota. The sewer systems in most metropolitan areas have long sections that need rehabilitation. The estimate of the expenditures needed to bring existing infrastructure up to where in needs to be is $2.2T over the next 5 years. That is a very significant dollar figure over a non-trivial time period. Infrastructure is the bones of the economy. You can't have a private sector without infrastructure.

This is what should have been done with the first stimulus.

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

KILLER_CLOWN
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
America's existing infrastructure is in need of a major overhaul. There are hundreds of bridges in similar condition as the bridge that collapsed in Minnesota. The sewer systems in most metropolitan areas have long sections that need rehabilitation. The estimate of the expenditures needed to bring existing infrastructure up to where in needs to be is $2.2T over the next 5 years. That is a very significant dollar figure over a non-trivial time period. Infrastructure is the bones of the economy. You can't have a private sector without infrastructure.

Definitely Agree on this.

King_Chief_Fan
08-08-2011, 11:07 AM

since the 401k's are tanking they shouldn't expect much revenue from that

Taco John
08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UbmI4.jpg

King_Chief_Fan
08-08-2011, 11:16 AM

that is frightening isn't it?

Saul Good
08-08-2011, 11:24 AM

How does loaning construction companies that want to do this work improve our infrastructure? Generally speaking, these companies receive payments, not loans for their services.

trndobrd
08-08-2011, 11:34 AM

I thought the last stimulus was centered on infrastructure. 'Shovel-ready' projects as I recall. Have more projects become 'shovel-ready' since the last stimulus?

petegz28
08-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Meh, we need to buy new lightbulbs instead

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Heh, ok that is funny.

BucEyedPea
08-08-2011, 01:28 PM
How does loaning construction companies that want to do this work improve our infrastructure? Generally speaking, these companies receive payments, not loans for their services.

My brother is in this business and they deal with new projects each year not just because we're in a bad economic situation. Oh, and his firm is NOT unionized and most states prefer to use them and their quotes come in at less than the unionized outfits.

Didn't Obama pass something requiring union firms can only be hired for this public infrastructure stuff? I seem to recall something like that.

Calcountry
08-08-2011, 03:48 PM

I really don't get what his fascination is with roads, bridges and trains. It's bizarre.I get why he is interested in stimulus.

Calcountry
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/WTF happened to the 800 billion that was suppose to go for all that shit in the first place?

ChiefsCountry
08-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Union jobs