PDA

View Full Version : Your Chance To Participate In A New Football Phenomenon (Sandbox Simulations)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I apologize if the mods think this is soliciting, and I guess it is, but at the same time it's beta testing a new product developed by long-time planeteers, and it's free.

cdcox and I have been developing a new football game for the thoughtful fan, where players build franchises and compete against each other. A description is below.

If you're interested, we're offering the game for free in Year 1 to Chiefsplanet members, with the goal of both giving the system a dry run and also hooking you like Phillip Morris. You can go to www.sandboxsimulations.com to sign up, and use the access code 6Lanier3.

Here's the overview:

Build and manage a full 53-player roster over multiple seasons, as an offseason activity to give you year-round football

Select your personnel to match your offensive and defensive scheme. Every position matters – even your blocking tight end.

Realistic and accurate simulations of league games based on head-to-head matchups against other teams in your league.

This is essentially a new concept in fantasy football that attempts to simulate as closely as possible the management of a real NFL franchise over a multi-year period. Unlike regular fantasy football, every position on the offense and defense contributes to your success or failure. On special teams, the punter, kicker, and kick returners matter.

In Sandbox Football you will build a team – an entire 53-man football team – via an initial draft, and will maintain it year after year in annual rookie drafts, trading periods, and free agency. You compete against teams in your league. In the first year of the game, before the start of the NFL season, you will build your roster by drafting veterans and rookies through separate drafts, and through trades with other teams in the league. Your roster is frozen at the beginning of the NFL season. During the real regular NFL season, you can focus on your traditional fantasy games and perhaps keep on eye on your Sandbox roster as our statistical models build the data on player performances. At the end of the regular NFL season, the Sandbox season begins. There will be 16 games in the season. In real time, the season will run about 8 weeks (2 alternate reality games per week).

Game outcomes will be simulated based on the performance of individual players during the just-completed NFL regular season. The simulations, developed by a PhD statistical expert, estimate how individual players will perform in the context of your alternate reality team competing head-to-head against other teams in the league and with the specific team that you have built. The simulations will consider the offensive and defensive schemes that you select. So you can build your roster to support a power running game or a high-flying passing attack. You can run a 3-4 or 4-3 base defense. You can run nickel formations or four-wide receiver sets. You can rotate your DL to keep them fresh.

The game is more about building a team than playing video games. So this isn't Madden, but you will have the ability to tweak your game plan to take the best advantage of your roster and the weaknesses of your opponent. Injuries are a factor in the game. If a player is unavailable during weeks 3 through 6 in the NFL, he is also unavailable during the same weeks in the alternate reality season. So roster depth matters. The game simulations are based on the most advanced statistics and the latest research regarding what matters in winning an NFL game. But, the outcomes of the games have a random component, just like real NFL games.

The calendar for the alternate reality league year will look something like this:
• Jan to Mid March: Alternate Reality regular season and playoffs.
• Mid-March to the beginning of NFL season: Roster building through trades, veteran draft (first year), free agent drafts (2nd year and beyond), and rookie draft.
• Beginning of NFL season to end of regular NFL season: Alternate reality league is dormant, but the NFL players are generating their performance stats for the up-coming AR league.
• Rinse and repeat.

Copyright Sandbox Simulations, all rights reserved.

We're still finalizing the cost structure, but this won't be an expensive game to play at all. It might range from a few bucks a year to $50 per year, depending on a few factors.

Year 1 will require a couple of days of drafting with rather high intensity, but we've got it set up where you can put your draft list together and do customized and automated drafting if you like.

So...go! Now! Time to get ready for the draft!

Note that we are still in beta testing, so things could change if we find problems in the system.

How Free Agency Works:

Free Agency will begin before the 2012 season after the rookie draft.

Our process is as follows for the 2012 season. In 2013 and beyond there will be minor changes as noted later.

1. We will unveil the list of available free agents so you can check out the talent pool.

2. If you look in "Standings", you will see that you have a salary account value of $1,300. You will use this to sign your veterans to contracts, sign your rookies to contracts, and (in a competitive bidding process) sign free agents to contracts.

The cost of a contract is as follows for players already on your roster (both veterans and rookies).

$0 - 1 season contract
$10 - 2 season contract
$22 - 3 season contract
$37 - 4 season contract
$55 - 5 season contract
$76 - 6 season contract
$100 - 7 season contract

You will sign your existing players to contracts using an interface that we will unveil shortly. If your 53-man roster is set you can spend your $1,300 on your current roster. However, it may be worthwhile to hold some money back so you can compete for free agents.

3. The free agency period begins.

Bidding for free agents will be open and competitive. As players come available, teams will be allowed to sign them if they are the high bidder. The contract length is automatically calculated by rounding down the bid to the chart below.

Contract Length (Seasons) Salary Points Bid
1 0 to 9
2 10 to 21
3 22 to 36
4 37 to 54
5 55 to 75
6 76 to 99
7 100 or more

For example, if you submit the winning bid for a player at a price of 25 salary points, that player becomes yours under a 3-year contract. If you submit a bid for 35 points and win, it’s also a 3-year contract. If you submit a bid for 38 points, it’s a 4-year contract. If you submit a bid for 120 points, it’s a 7-year contract.

For the 2012 free agency period, we will enforce the 53-man rule. You will need to cut down to 53 players before the free agency period starts, and if you sign a player to go above 53, you will need to cut a player to stay within the roster limit. NOTE: DON'T CUT YET UNLESS YOU WANT TO. WE'RE STILL FINALIZING THE SYSTEM AND WANT TO BE SURE THAT THIS RULE WORKS IN 2012.

4. Ending Bidding and Ending Free Agency.

Bids on an individual player will begin once the first player places a bid. For the 2012 season that bid must be $1 or more. Bidding ends when the existing high bid had not been raised for 72 hours. At that point, the high-bid team is awarded the player under the contract terms described in Step 3.

The free agency period in 2012 will end once there have been no bids on any players for 72 hours.

5. Unused Salary Points

If you do not use all of your salary points in a given year, they will roll over from year to year. This is experimental and we'll have to see how it works. If it doesn't work, they'll expire each year, or maybe a portion of the points can roll over. Right now, assume they all roll over.

6. Salary Points and Roster Management

In the Sandbox system, salary points and the salary cap are used only for acquiring players. You will never have to track the number of salary points “on your roster” and you will never have to cut a player for salary cap reasons.

Additionally, you are not obligated to keep a player for the full length of his contract. You can cut him or trade him at any time. However, recognize that it’s a waste of salary points to cut or trade a player before the end of his contract. But it doesn't hamstring you going forward - it's just past money that you wasted.

7. Free Agency and Contract Length - Retaining Your Current Players

When a player reaches the end of their contract, they go back into the free agency pool and teams will bid for their services. You are eligible to bid on them to get them back, just like you can bid on any free agents.

There is one exception to the rule of free agents going into the free agency pool, as follows:

• At the end of the bidding process, you have the opportunity to re-sign your own players by outbidding the high bidder. Your bid must be the minimum points to increase their contract period by a year over the high bid. (Example: your player goes to free agency, and another team bids 50 points for him, which equates to a 4-year contract. You can keep the player by paying 55 points for him, which is the minimum amount for a 5-year contract.) If the high bidder offered a contract of 100 points or more (7-years), you can keep the player by bidding 10% more points than the high bid.

8. Free Agency and Trades

If you trade for a player, their contract length is a consideration. Trading for a player with 6 years left on his contract will give you his services for that amount of time (unless you cut him or trade him, or he retires). Trading for a player with 1 year left on his contract means that he’ll go back into the free agency pool at the end of the season. (Of course, you can still retain him via Step 7.)

9. Future Years

In future years, the process will be identical to that shown above, with the following exceptions.

a. Because you will have a lot of veteran players under contract, you won't need $1,300. You'll get a new annual allotment of signing dollars. We're still working on the exact amount, but it looks like it'll be between $500 and $600.

b. In the 2012 season, we will introduce all free agents at once to catch up. In the 2013 season and beyond, the free agency period will occur during the actual NFL season. We will sprinkle the free agents in one division at a time over the course of the season. (The divisions may be randomly selected or we may release a calendar. It doesn't matter that much.) This system should be interesting because some free agents will come available early in the season when you don't know their performance for the year - greater risk, greater reward - while other free agents will come available later in the season when you know what their performance will be, but so does everyone else.

c. In the 2013 season and beyond, you will be able to retain more than 53 players through the rookie draft and the main free agency period. You will then have a cutdown period to get to 53 and we will have a final free agency period where you can sign any players who have been cut. In that final period you will have to enforce a 53-man roster, so if you sign a player you have to cut one.

10. When you think about the schedule in 2013 and beyond, it will go like this:

a. Sandbox season goes from February through April.
b. Rookie draft in May. No 53-man limit.
c. Free agency from (likely) September through December, with free agents sprinkled in throughout that period.
d. January. Roster cuts to 53.
e. Late January. Final free agency period to flesh out rosters and sign players cut in Step d.
f. New Sandbox season begins.

noa
08-08-2011, 03:12 PM
In
Posted via Mobile Device

SDChiefs
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
How much do you win, if you win. 2nd and 3rd as well.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
noa is in!

(Shaking hands.)

AustinChief
08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
I haven't read the entire title post yet... but I did click the link and since you picked the best logo... I decree ALL SandboxSimulations posts free from any SPAM rulings.

You are officially endorsed by ChiefsPlanet... btw it sounds cool as hell.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
How much do you win, if you win. 2nd and 3rd as well.

Satisfaction for 1st place. Slightly less satisfaction for 2nd, and a sense of mild frustration for 3rd.

(It's possible at some point to have money prizes, but right now I think we want to avoid that. We want it to be more about enjoying the game at this point, and we also need to prove the system.)

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I haven't read the entire title post yet... but I did click the link and since you picked the best logo... I decree ALL SandboxSimulations posts free from any SPAM rulings.

You are officially endorsed by ChiefsPlanet... btw it sounds cool as hell.

Yay!

Thank you very much, and in return you can have a free entry in Year 1.

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Cool.

AustinChief
08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Ok I formally protest that Saint Joseph is not an available city on the list! Any chance I can pick San Antonio now and change to St Joe when it is added later? I'll let ya have a banner ad and SPAM PatriotsPlanet!

You know you wanna!

PS Who picked Austin as a city already?

kcmaxwell
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
This sounds cool as hell! Definitely in!

rageeumr
08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Was all about it until I saw the captcha. Dealbreaker.

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

LMAO

Dicky McElephant
08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm in.

SDChiefs
08-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Satisfaction for 1st place. Slightly less satisfaction for 2nd, and a sense of mild frustration for 3rd.

(It's possible at some point to have money prizes, but right now I think we want to avoid that. We want it to be more about enjoying the game at this point, and we also need to prove the system.)

It sounds cool as hell, but why the charging. At least with fantasy football you can win money for what you pay.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Ok I formally protest that Saint Joseph is not an available city on the list! Any chance I can pick San Antonio now and change to St Joe when it is added later? I'll let ya have a banner ad and SPAM PatriotsPlanet!

You know you wanna!

PS Who picked Austin as a city already?

We can update the list of cities, and I suspect that cdcox can change "San Antonio" to "Saint Joseph" in any case. Those two saints have lockers that are practically right next to each other.

Rain Man

Did it call you a name?

Rain Man
It sounds cool as hell, but why the charging. At least with fantasy football you can win money for what you pay.

We're charging so we can get rich. Er, I mean, to cover the costs of implementation.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 03:40 PM

I'm either missing the joke or don't see what's so bad about it. Trying to keep the bots out.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
10 teams in so far. The initial plan is to have a league of 24 teams, or more than one league if we have more interest.

rageeumr
08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm either missing the joke or don't see what's so bad about it. Trying to keep the bots out.

Just a lame joke. Although I do hate them. Verizon now requires you to enter a captcha phrase when you log into a business account, and it drives me insane. I ended up fighting through it and signing up.

Provo Knuckledraggers FTMFW

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Just a lame joke. Although I do hate them. Verizon now requires you to enter a captcha phrase when you log into a business account, and it drives me insane. I ended up fighting through it and signing up.

A lot of times I'm forced to guess on captcha's. They make them so blurry that I can't figure out for sure what the word is, especially if it's not a real word.

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Columbia Cauldron.

We don't give a ****.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Good name. Fletch reference?

tooge
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm in. Now, how do I draft Trezell Jenkins?

Smed1065
08-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I apologize if the mods think this is soliciting, and I guess it is, but at the same time it's beta testing a new product developed by long-time planeteers, and it's free.

cdcox and I have been developing a new football game for the thoughtful fan, where players build franchises and compete against each other. A description is below.

If you're interested, we're offering the game for free in Year 1 to Chiefsplanet members, with the goal of both giving the system a dry run and also hooking you like Phillip Morris. You can go to www.sandboxsimulations.com to sign up, and use the access code 6Lanier3.

Here's the overview:

Build and manage a full 53-player roster over multiple seasons, as an offseason activity to give you year-round football

Select your personnel to match your offensive and defensive scheme. Every position matters even your blocking tight end.

Realistic and accurate simulations of league games based on head-to-head matchups against other teams in your league.

This is essentially a new concept in fantasy football that attempts to simulate as closely as possible the management of a real NFL franchise over a multi-year period. Unlike regular fantasy football, every position on the offense and defense contributes to your success or failure. On special teams, the punter, kicker, and kick returners matter.

In Sandbox Football you will build a team an entire 53-man football team via an initial draft, and will maintain it year after year in annual rookie drafts, trading periods, and free agency. You compete against teams in your league. In the first year of the game, before the start of the NFL season, you will build your roster by drafting veterans and rookies through separate drafts, and through trades with other teams in the league. Your roster is frozen at the beginning of the NFL season. During the real regular NFL season, you can focus on your traditional fantasy games and perhaps keep on eye on your Sandbox roster as our statistical models build the data on player performances. At the end of the regular NFL season, the Sandbox season begins. There will be 16 games in the season. In real time, the season will run about 8 weeks (2 alternate reality games per week).

Game outcomes will be simulated based on the performance of individual players during the just-completed NFL regular season. The simulations, developed by a PhD statistical expert, estimate how individual players will perform in the context of your alternate reality team competing head-to-head against other teams in the league and with the specific team that you have built. The simulations will consider the offensive and defensive schemes that you select. So you can build your roster to support a power running game or a high-flying passing attack. You can run a 3-4 or 4-3 base defense. You can run nickel formations or four-wide receiver sets. You can rotate your DL to keep them fresh.

The game is more about building a team than playing video games. So this isn't Madden, but you will have the ability to tweak your game plan to take the best advantage of your roster and the weaknesses of your opponent. Injuries are a factor in the game. If a player is unavailable during weeks 3 through 6 in the NFL, he is also unavailable during the same weeks in the alternate reality season. So roster depth matters. The game simulations are based on the most advanced statistics and the latest research regarding what matters in winning an NFL game. But, the outcomes of the games have a random component, just like real NFL games.

The calendar for the alternate reality league year will look something like this:
Jan to Mid March: Alternate Reality regular season and playoffs.
Mid-March to the beginning of NFL season: Roster building through trades, veteran draft (first year), free agent drafts (2nd year and beyond), and rookie draft.
Beginning of NFL season to end of regular NFL season: Alternate reality league is dormant, but the NFL players are generating their performance stats for the up-coming AR league.
Rinse and repeat.

Copyright Sandbox Simulations, all rights reserved.

We're still finalizing the cost structure, but this won't be an expensive game to play at all. It might range from a few bucks a year to $50 per year, depending on a few factors.

Year 1 will require a couple of days of drafting with rather high intensity, but we've got it set up where you can put your draft list together and do customized and automated drafting if you like.

So...go! Now! Time to get ready for the draft!

Spam and how much does CP get?

Iowanian
08-08-2011, 03:46 PM
In

Trevo_410
08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
does this use real players? or generated players? just curious

tooge
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
The Flint Knappers baby! Dynasty in the making.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Real players. Over 2000 in the database.

The Village Idiot
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
This sounds interesting. Signed up.

Let's do this

OnTheWarpath58
08-08-2011, 03:52 PM
The Dallas K-Swiss Tubes are ready to roll.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loe0xhKX9h1qjwsly.png

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Real players. It works like this (more or less):

As a one-time event, you build your initial team via a veteran draft.

Each year, you then also do a rookie and free agent draft as the real NFL is in its post-draft malaise and through training camp.

You then enjoy the NFL season as normal. Players' performances during the season feed into our mathematical models. You can make trades and stuff during this time frame too if you want.

After the season ends, your Sandbox season begins, and your players' performances are modeled based on how they performed the previous season. The models are based on databases of each player's individual performance that go beyond statistics, which enables us to include the effects of the full roster and all positions.

Hays
08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
|Zach|
08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
The Dallas K-Swiss Tubes are ready to roll.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loe0xhKX9h1qjwsly.png

So mad I didn't think of that.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 04:00 PM
17 teams in.

08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm In

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 04:04 PM
This is one of the most exciting days of my life.

Iowanian
08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Cedar Rapids Angry Clam Hammers ARE DESTROY ALL YOUR BASES!

Chocolate Hog
08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm in

cdcox
08-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Ditto. I'm sitting here shaking. Should have skipped that last cup of coffee.

Iowanian
08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I predict this will be a successful venture for you guys. I'm excited for you to see how it works out.

DMAC
08-08-2011, 04:17 PM

LMAO:thumb:

cdcox
08-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Three more slots in the first league. We'll open up another one after that.

KCwolf
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
This sounds pretty cool........Signing up

David.
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm in, sounds right up my alley. Football + simulation nerd.

Dave Lane
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Kansas City Ball Busters

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
23 teams right now. One more and we'll open up a second league.

KurtCobain
08-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Somebody fucking took Independence?!?!? That's fucked up, guys.

KurtCobain
08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
If I wait for the second league can will independence become available?

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I think it will, Kurt. But recognize that you'll still be battling the other team for ticket sales.

Well, maybe.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 05:03 PM
League 1 is up and running! Up and running!

The Clearwater Donkeys are on the clock.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
If I wait for the second league can will independence become available?

League 1 now filled. I took Independence by the way. League 2 has 3 teams and growing. Independence should be available in Leauge 2.

rageeumr
08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
So the drafts will continue throughout the night, correct? So setting up a draft board is pretty much a necessity...

And both drafts are simultaneous, correct?

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 05:08 PM
IN!

KurtCobain
08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
League 1 now filled. I took Independence by the way. League 2 has 3 teams and growing. Independence should be available in Leauge 2.

I just appreciate you guys included it. I'm in league two. Hope it fills up quick.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 05:16 PM
This is gonna be really cool. It would be cooler if we could simulate multiple seasons during the NFL offseason, though.

Dicky McElephant
08-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Am I missing something?

It says I have 2 unread messages but I don't see where to go to read them.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Man, I wanted to be in the league with all the cool kids. :(

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
So the drafts will continue throughout the night, correct? So setting up a draft board is pretty much a necessity...

And both drafts are simultaneous, correct?

Correct. In future years, we'll probably string the draft out over two or three months and give people a little more time to draft. We will average 2 picks per day for the next 28 days. That is pretty intense.

The strike and the game development cycle kind of compressed everything this year.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Am I missing something?

It says I have 2 unread messages but I don't see where to go to read them.

Messages tab on the menu.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Man, I wanted to be in the league with all the cool kids. :(

League #2 = n00bs

Dicky McElephant
08-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Messages tab on the menu.

The only tab I have on my menu is Account Management.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I can't wait to see people on here raping each other in the trade market and all the giggling about it in threads.

KurtCobain
08-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I can't wait to see people on here raping each other in the trade market and all the giggling about it in threads.

I'll trade you my mother for some head lice shampoo.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:34 PM
The only tab I have on my menu is Account Management.

Which browser are you using?

Dicky McElephant
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Which browser are you using?

Shitty ass Internet Explorer. I have to at work.

kstater
08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm in. When can I set up a draft board?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Shitty ass Internet Explorer. I have to at work.

Yeah, it is an Explorer issue. Let me see what I can do to fix it.

OnTheWarpath58
08-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Setting up a draft board is painful.

But not as painful as waiting for 40 minutes (and counting) for the first pick to be made.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm in. When can I set up a draft board?

After the league is full. You can play with your draftboard for 24 hours before the actual draft starts.

Do you have some text in red that tells how many teams have joined? Is there a way to make that text more clear about what happens next?

kstater
08-08-2011, 05:44 PM

But not as painful as waiting for 40 minutes (and counting) for the first pick to be made.

I'd much rather set up a board than sit at the computer for the next 28 days.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 05:44 PM

One day and 40 minutes. I thought people would need some time.

OnTheWarpath58
08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I'd much rather set up a board than sit at the computer for the next 28 days.

True. Just sooooo slllooooowwww.

OnTheWarpath58
One day and 40 minutes. I thought people would need some time.

Aw, fuck.

kstater
After the league is full. You can play with your draftboard for 24 hours before the actual draft starts.

Do you have some text in red that tells how many teams have joined? Is there a way to make that text more clear about what happens next?

Yes

kstater
08-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Can you modify your board once the draft has started?

Dicky McElephant
08-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Is there some kind of e-mail notification when we're on the clock?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Can you modify your board once the draft has started?

Yes.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Is there some kind of e-mail notification when we're on the clock?

Not at present, but I can make that an opt in. I don't want to bomb people with unwanted email. On the list.

Toadkiller
08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Im in.

Dicky McElephant
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Not at present, but I can make that an opt in. I don't want to bomb people with unwanted email. On the list.

Yeah....it would probably be helpful because I'm not going to have the time to check in all day long to see if I'm up. And setting up your draft board looks to be a pain in the dick.

trndobrd
08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
This has everything. Very well thought out. The option to raise parking prices really adds to the realism.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Zach gave me his team in the first league.

Could Cdcox or Rain Man delete my team from the 2nd league so I can transfer over my email address? Also if you could change my username that would be awesome.

kstater
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Are there safeguards should a player lose interest and stop playing? IE trades must be approved by everyone.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Question: How will free agency be done? Will each team have the same money to spend? How will the money players want be decided?

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Question: How will free agency be done? Will each team have the same money to spend? How will the money players want be decided?

cdcox can correct me if we've evolved, but my initial thinking is that any veteran not on a team will be in the free agent draft, and I'm hoping that maybe we can work it out so that anyone who changes teams gets booted off their current team and back into the free agent draft. That would be humorously annoying for people, but also realistic.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Are there safeguards should a player lose interest and stop playing? IE trades must be approved by everyone.

In this test case, cdcox or I would likely take over. In the long run, people would get a big discount if they take over an existing team when they join. It would save them time and give them (in most cases) a fun rebuilding process.

Truthfully, that's the biggest potential pain in the neck - constantly repopulating leagues as people drop out, and it'll be more likely to happen to the weakest teams, too. So the discount will be big - maybe even a 100% discount on the joining fee.

kstater
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
One last question. What's my cut once this gets going?

bevischief
08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
I am in.

bevischief
08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Only 11 people have signed up this?????

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Only 11 people have signed up this?????

You're in the 2nd league with the uncool kids.

Trevo_410
08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
sooo can i make a pick now? for the veteran draft?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Could Cdcox or Rain Man delete my team from the 2nd league so I can transfer over my email address? Also if you could change my username that would be awesome.

Yeah, give me a half hour or so.

Trevo_410
08-08-2011, 06:40 PM
ohhhhh wait my bad, nvm didn't read

bevischief
08-08-2011, 06:41 PM
You're in the 2nd league with the uncool kids.

Sounds better for me.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
sooo can i make a pick now? for the veteran draft?

As soon as you pick I'm ready to roll. I have my draft board up and running as the Duluth Pillagers.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Initially, if you feel a trade is blatently unfair, report to the admins. If we agree we'll reverse it. Eventually we will probably automate this to make sure trades aren't too unfair.

When someone drops out, we could sell their team at a discount as Rain Man suggests. Another idea I have is to disband it, throw all the players on those teams into the free agency pool, and have an expansion draft. Maybe let remaining people protect 15 players (or more) then allow the n00bs to draft from the FA pool and unprotected rosters (no more that 2 players scabbed from any give roster). Something like that. Just throwing that out as an idea to handle abandonments.

Trevo_410
08-08-2011, 06:49 PM
if i may, i'd like to make a suggestion.

when(hypothetically speaking) this website succeeds in the future and when ever time is allowed... I think it'd be awesome if there was a viewable database attached to the website with the ratings you use for the simulations. So we know exactly the value of who we draft.

Also i got a question... is there contracts? if not could it be possible to put them in there as well?

Trevo_410
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
As soon as you pick I'm ready to roll. I have my draft board up and running as the Duluth Pillagers.

lol yeh, just seen the draft starts 2morrow.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
So if each club has 60 minutes to make a pick...does that mean some picks are going to have to be made between midnight and sunrise? The draft starts at 10pm?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Can you get Zach to PM me here to confirm? Then I'll make the switch.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
lol yeh, just seen the draft starts 2morrow.

Set your local time in Account functions. I need to make that the next thing you do after you pick your team.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 06:58 PM

when(hypothetically speaking) this website succeeds in the future and when ever time is allowed... I think it'd be awesome if there was a viewable database attached to the website with the ratings you use for the simulations. So we know exactly the value of who we draft.

Also i got a question... is there contracts? if not could it be possible to put them in there as well?

I'll yield to cdcox on the first question. I think it's more complex than merely having a value assigned to a player, though. The combinations of players into a team are what determines wins and losses.

On the second question, no contracts right now. That could potentially be a long term addition, but I think it's way over the horizon right now.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
So if each club has 60 minutes to make a pick...does that mean some picks are going to have to be made between midnight and sunrise? The draft starts at 10pm?

Yes, picks go through the night with this compressed schedule. I might change that in the future, but for now, Draft board FTW!

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Can you get Zach to PM me here to confirm? Then I'll make the switch.

It is legit. Sorry for the hassle. PM me if you need any other details.

David.
08-08-2011, 07:03 PM
i'm almost sure I'm way overvaluing youth on my draft board.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
i'm almost sure I'm way overvaluing youth on my draft board.

It's an interesting challenge. Do you take 4 years remaining in a top-notch veteran's career, or 8 or 9 years of a pretty good younger player who probably won't ascend to the same level?

With the second pick I've got some interesting choices to make.

sfchief
08-08-2011, 07:08 PM
All the way in

cdcox
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM

On the player ratings, they are not completely known. Our first season will be based on the performances of players during the 2011 season. So you need to project how good the players will be in 2011 and beyond. For past seasons, Rain Man is correct, there isn't a simple player rating, it is a complex formula based on what makes real NFL teams win, as closely as I can simulate it. In the future, we may have a "hint" function. But you will be best off doing your own research. This makes the game very realistic in that you have to use your knowledge of NFL players and the game of football to succeed.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
It is legit. Sorry for the hassle. PM me if you need any other details.

Thanks! I didn't want to ruin your dreams by giving away your team.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Remember to set up your rookie draft board as well, everyone.

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks! I didn't want to ruin your dreams by giving away your team.

Haha yea it was good to confirm.

It is funny I was all into the idea of this and then I was like...wait...there is a reason you never sign up for FF stuff. You never follow through with it.

I figure GC will be a better league member.

listopencil
08-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I would do it but I don't like the logo.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I would do it but I don't like the logo.

Dammit! I knew we should've gone with #2!

cdcox
08-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Ok, you are now the proud owner of the Columbia Cauldron in league 1. You can't have Kansas City Chiefs, since there is already a team in Kansas City. If you want a different team name, let me know.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 07:33 PM
How about the Denver Broncos?

Chocolate Hog
08-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm going win it all with The Right 53.

David.
08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
how are offensive lineman going to work? base it off sacks given up or what?

|Zach|
08-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm going win it all with The Right 53.

LMAO

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
how are offensive lineman going to work? base it off sacks given up or what?

cdcox is using lineman scoring systems and relating them to rushing and passing stats to glean out the contributions of linemen.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Reminder that everyone needs to be ready for both the veteran and rookie drafts in this startup phase. The Wichita Potheads are #1 in the rookie draft.

rageeumr
08-08-2011, 07:48 PM

I would love this. I would also like the option to be notified via email when I get a message sent through the Sandbox site.

Do you want us to continue to post suggestions here? Should we send them through the site? Do these pants make my ass look fat?

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I would love this. I would also like the option to be notified via email when I get a message sent through the Sandbox site.

Do you want us to continue to post suggestions here? Should we send them through the site? Do these pants make my ass look fat?

Yes, no (here is fine), and not if you stand at an angle.

rageeumr
08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Anybody else having script errors when you try to fill out your draft board? Every time I search, move a guy to the board, etc there's a ~10-15 second delay. And once every 10 times or so I get a script error:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://sandboxsimulations.com/javascript/jquery.js:5396

shorman22
08-08-2011, 07:59 PM
9 more teams for league 2

DMAC
08-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Ok, just to be clear...

I have tonight and tomorrow to prepare for the draft, which is at 4:49pm cst?

rageeumr
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Ok, just to be clear...

Close. 4:49 CDT
:p

DMAC
08-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Close. 4:49 CDT
:p

Haha thanks.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Ok, just to be clear...

For the first couple rounds, that is probably a good idea.

I don't plan to have more than 50 players on my draft board at any given time. That would get me through two rounds. So you can likely spread your draft planning over several days.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM

On the to do list for tonight, but I'm not sure I'll get to it.

Right now I'm trying to solve the IE issue, which looks like it might take a while.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Will we receive emails when we are on the clock?

Old Dog
08-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Will try one more again, but hope this diesn't end up being as big of a waste of time as the Alternate Reality games where we drafted 30 rounds plus a rookie draft for nothing to ever be done with them.
Need Six more in the second league it looks like

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Will try one more again, but hope this diesn't end up being as big of a waste of time as the Alternate Reality games where we drafted 30 rounds plus a rookie draft for nothing to ever be done with them.
Need Six more in the second league it looks like

That game was basically the motivation for this. The drafting/trading process should be much better than the manual system we used in that game. And I will definitely follow through on the team evaluation. This has been cooking for well over a year. We both have a lot of resources invested in this project to get it this far.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Anybody else having script errors when you try to fill out your draft board? Every time I search, move a guy to the board, etc there's a ~10-15 second delay. And once every 10 times or so I get a script error:

Hmm, I had no problems and I put roughly 60 people on my board. What browser are you using?

(I have no idea how to fix it, but whenever I hear people who know what they're doing, they ask what browser you have. Maybe it'll help cdcox fix it.)

lostcause
08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Is all player performance based upon their season statistics or is it projections?

i.e. If I want to run a spread offense with Chase Daniels at QB, will I get a rating for Chase? Or if he has 0 snaps, does he have a 0 rating?

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Is all player performance based upon their season statistics or is it projections?

i.e. If I want to run a spread offense with Chase Daniels at QB, will I get a rating for Chase? Or if he has 0 snaps, does he have a 0 rating?

They'll be based on the previous season, but I'm not sure what happens if a player never sees the field. Perhaps cdcox can elaborate.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Hmm, I had no problems and I put roughly 60 people on my board. What browser are you using?

(I have no idea how to fix it, but whenever I hear people who know what they're doing, they ask what browser you have. Maybe it'll help cdcox fix it.)

I don't know of an easy fix for this one. I might bring our consultant in on this one.

lostcause
08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
With little to no statistics, how are oline measured?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
They'll be based on the previous season, but I'm not sure what happens if a player never sees the field. Perhaps cdcox can elaborate.

We'll treat players that don't have snaps similarly to players who do get snaps and who are near the bottom of the league at their position. Barring the ability to see into the future, that is about the best we can do.

So you want to be relatively sure that most of your starters will get some snaps. But with a roster of 53, you should be able to keep plenty of developmental players.

We'll also have a correction for players that only get a few snaps where their statistical ability clearly would not extrapolate to a full season.

kstater
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
We'll treat players that don't have snaps similarly to players who do get snaps and who are near the bottom of the league at their position. Barring the ability to see into the future, that is about the best we can do.

What will you do if say, a backup QB comes in, goes 1/1 with a TD?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
With little to no statistics, how are oline measured?

I think describing too much of what goes on behind the curtain takes away from the concept of the game, which is to build a roster and see how they play, just like a real GM does. Your OL will matter. I think we will be able to pass the smell test in terms of capturing their contribution.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
What will you do if say, a backup QB comes in, goes 1/1 with a TD?

We'll also have a correction for players that only get a few snaps where their statistical ability clearly would not extrapolate to a full season.

Let's just say that if you play him every down, he is going to look more similar to other back-ups than to someone with a perfect passer rating.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I think describing too much of what goes on behind the curtain takes away from the concept of the game, which is to build a roster and see how they play, just like a real GM does. Your OL will matter. I think we will be able to pass the smell test in terms of capturing their contribution.

Will elite QBs with bad olines be sacked less than average QBs with bad olines?

lostcause
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM

If I'm beta testing a game before it goes live, i like to know what to try and break =)

cdcox
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Will elite QBs with bad olines be sacked less than average QBs with bad olines?

I think we all know that QBs contribute to their sack rate. The game will reflect that.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 08:58 PM
True fans are still going to draft right tackles in the third round.

Another question - will I be able to take a tackle or a guard and put them at a different position? What about taking DEs and playing them at OLB in a 3-4?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 09:01 PM
True fans are still going to draft right tackles in the third round.

I'm doing everything I can to keep my own biases out of the evaluations. If the statistics say that having elite players at ever OL position is the key to building a high-powered offense, then true fans will carry the day.

I think that will make this game fun: you can build the team to your liking and we can see how they fair against each other.

I need to get back to fixing IE.

rageeumr
08-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Firefox 5. Could just be my system, especially if I'm the only one having the issue.

DaFace
08-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I think you should make the logo bigger. :p

Seriously, though, good luck with the project. I don't have anywhere near the patience for this type of thing, but I'm curious to see where it goes!

cdcox
08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Another question - will I be able to take a tackle or a guard and put them at a different position? What about taking DEs and playing them at OLB in a 3-4?

This is a really good question that I probably need to put into the help section.

My intention is that you will be able to move players around to a realistic extent. If you move someone who has played RT his whole career to a demanding position like LT, there is going to be a downgrade in performance. If you move the same RT to G, that may not be such a stretch. If you have a finess pass blocking LT and try to put him at RT, your power running may be affected. Eric Berry can clearly play either S position, but Lewis would probably get a downgrade if you move him to SS.

A light pass-rushing DE could probably move to rush OLB.

You get the idea. We may not do this perfectly in year 1, but that is the plan.

Count Alex's Losses
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
We may not do this perfectly in year 1, but that is the plan.

LMAO

I can see people complaining about results already.

I HAVE PLAYER X AND X WHY IS MY X SO LOUSY?

JD10367
08-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Reading this thread makes me want to fire up my mid-90s Mac and play some...

TOM LANDRY STRATEGY FOOTBALL!! :rockon:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/475801-tom-landry-strategy-football-dos-screenshot-scouting-reports.png

http://img.squakenet.com/snapshot/6459/19587-TomLandryStrategyFootball.jpg

http://www.allvideo.org/pictures/landry/landry_football_screenshot2.jpg

Chiefs=Good
08-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Im in if its not too late.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Okay the Internet Explorer issue looks to be fixed. I used a online site to generate the menu and their html was way non-standard. Apparently IE is very picky. It still runs like crap on that browser, but at least it should work if you are forced to use it. Let me know if other issues crop up on IE and I'll get them fixed.

Next is email notification option.

BTW, League 2 has 3 slots left. We'll start a third league if there is enough interest.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 10:29 PM

So far I've focused on function over design. We'll eventually get the place looking spiffy.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 10:32 PM

We discovered a loophole where it didn't cost more to make it bigger, so we maxed it out. It greatly lowers our cost per logo-square-inch.

DMAC
08-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Will Safari (iOS) handle this ok?

iOS is all I have at home. Looks like the rookie draft page works...although i can only look at one page of players.

Veteran draft page shows no players. Im assuming it doesnt appear this way with chrome @ work.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 10:37 PM

iOS is all I have at home. Looks like the rookie draft page works...although i can only look at one page of players.

Veteran draft page shows no players. Im assuming it doesnt appear this way with chrome @ work.

I'm on Chrome and it works perfectly for me. Hopefully you'll see the same thing. In the long run, though, we'll want it to work on Safari, too.

noa
08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Further questions about scoring. First, on offensive linemen: I'm not familiar with actual OL statistics other than sacks given up, but what is more valuable, an OL who plays for a team with a top tier running game, or an OL who plays for a team that gives up few sacks and produces lots of passing yards?
As for defense, is there a way to factor in the fact that some CBs are thrown at very little because their coverage is so good? Or is it better to skew towards CBs who are going to produce real stats, like tackles and INTs?

Chocolate Hog
08-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Whens the draft?

cdcox
08-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Further questions about scoring. First, on offensive linemen: I'm not familiar with actual OL statistics other than sacks given up, but what is more valuable, an OL who plays for a team with a top tier running game, or an OL who plays for a team that gives up few sacks and produces lots of passing yards?
As for defense, is there a way to factor in the fact that some CBs are thrown at very little because their coverage is so good? Or is it better to skew towards CBs who are going to produce real stats, like tackles and INTs?

If you plan to run a lot, you want OL that are generally considered to be good run blockers. If you plan to pass a lot, you want good pass blockers. If you plan a balanced attack, you want OL that does a reasonable job at both. Focus on individual linemen rather than the team's running ability.

I'm certainly not going to use an irrelevant stat like tackles to judge defensive backs. A shutdown corner who doesn't get thrown at much will be a great guy to have.

People will be better off if they don't worry about the scoring and just draft good football players.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Whens the draft?

If you are in league 1 it will say on your draft pages. The time will display correctly if you set your time zone under account management.

If you are in league 2 your draft will start 24 hours after the league is full.

cdcox
08-08-2011, 11:29 PM

hmmm. I don't have Safari installed on my computer. I'll check into it in a day or two.

Rain Man
08-08-2011, 11:33 PM
If you plan to run a lot, you want OL that are generally considered to be good run blockers. If you plan to pass a lot, you want good pass blockers. If you plan a balanced attack, you want OL that does a reasonable job at both. Focus on individual linemen rather than the team's running ability.

I'm certainly not going to use an irrelevant stat like tackles to judge defensive backs. A shutdown corner who doesn't get thrown at much will be a great guy to have.

People will be better off if they don't worry about the scoring and just draft good football players.

This is a good point. The simulation system isn't going to be something like, "Peyton Manning is worth X points and Matt Cassel is worth Y points". It's going to be more complex and will take into account the combined strengths of all the players around these guys as well as your philosophy. If you're going to have a run-first team, the difference between Manning and Cassel will be smaller. If you're going to have a pass-first team, you're going to want to draft linemen who are good pass protectors. And none of those things are going to be measured by gross stats like number of receptions or number of tackles. It's more about productivity when the opportunity arises.

noa
08-08-2011, 11:38 PM

This is very helpful. Thanks much.

ChiefsNow
08-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Mine got messed up. Supposed to be The Sioux Falls Swagger, not the Sioux Falls Sioux Falls Swagger

cdcox
08-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Mine got messed up. Supposed to be The Sioux Falls Swagger, not the Sioux Falls Sioux Falls Swagger

Fixed it, ChiefsChiefsNow.

And league 2 is full!

ChiefsNow
08-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Fixed it, ChiefsChiefsNow.

And league 2 is full!

Thankthankyou:thumb: IThinkthink

Guru
08-09-2011, 12:16 AM
May end up being more work than I want but I'll give it a try.

Topeka Tyrannicide

Crap. Looks like I have to wait for at least 22 more teams to join.

ChiefsNow
08-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I may be in over my head. I do not know about the xs and os of football like most people here ,and I've never played fantasy football.

shorman22
08-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Looking trade down from 10

ChiefsNow
08-09-2011, 12:34 AM
This thread should have a sticky in my opinion.

shorman22
08-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Yes it does anybody want to trade to pick 10 in league 2

DMAC
08-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Is the whole screen supposed to refresh when I move a player to the draft board or change the order of the draft board?

Old Dog
08-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Is the whole screen supposed to refresh when I move a player to the draft board or change the order of the draft board?

Mine is as well, so I assume so. Looking to be a pain in the butt to be honest.

noa
08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Is there any way to make the draft pause at a certain hour at night? I realize I can set up my draft board to handle situations where I am not around, but I have been playing with it a lot and still think it would take a substantial amount of work to have things lined up the way I'd like.
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
08-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm probably a retard, but I'm trying to set up my board, and all I get are the guys whos name starts with the letter A as options. How do I scroll down?

Dartgod
08-09-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm in as The Provo Lone Wolf Pack

tooge
08-09-2011, 09:06 AM
just curious. why aren't all players part of every teams draft board automatically, then we can just move them up or down. It is taking me about a minute per player to add to draft board on IE

DMAC
08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
just curious. why aren't all players part of every teams draft board automatically, then we can just move them up or down. It is taking me about a minute per player to add to draft board on IE

Still has to refresh to move up or down. This will take a while...

rageeumr
08-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Ya I have the same problem with FF. Downloaded chrome just to try it, and same deal. I have a crappy ISP here at work, but I was having the same problem at home where I typically have ~12 Mbps.

I basically gave up on setting up an exhaustive draft board and I'm going to roll the dice that I can be around for a lot of my picks.

AndChiefs
08-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I would suggest changing the players listings to be by position rather than one long list. For instance, if I really want a QB in round three it should be simple for me to look and see what QB's are still available so I can determine which ones to target.

With a huge, long list I'm practically guaranteed to miss an attractive drafting target and end up with a lesser team.

rageeumr
08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
I would suggest changing the players listings to be by position rather than one long list. For instance, if I really want a QB in round three it should be simple for me to look and see what QB's are still available so I can determine which ones to target.

With a huge, long list I'm practically guaranteed to miss an attractive drafting target and end up with a lesser team.

Ya, but it's just so hard to know what I will want. If there's an insane run on QB's, you could be stuck with Tyler Palko if you wait until the 3rd round.

noa
08-09-2011, 09:37 AM
If possible to add this functionality, I think it would be very helpful if we could put a number next to the players on our draft board to represent their priority, rather than having to click the up or down arrows many times.
Posted via Mobile Device

AndChiefs
08-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Ya, but it's just so hard to know what I will want. If there's an insane run on QB's, you could be stuck with Tyler Palko if you wait until the 3rd round.

Then set up a draft board for that round with several different positions. I.E. If Cassel gets drafted here than I want Steve Breaston. If Breaston gets drafted than I want Ricky Stanzi. (Yes I realize that no one in their right mind would draft in this kind of order just using Chiefs for examples).

In the current listing you may not realize that Breaston was still available because you didn't go looking specifically for his name. Therefore, you end up with Stanzi instead of your top choice which would've been Breaston. (Assuming Cassel was drafted in the round of course).

Iowanian
08-09-2011, 10:24 AM
First thoughts.

It's a little clunky to set your draft board, specifically, I don't like that it resets the order of the names list after every move. Also, in a perfect world, there would be some stats from the previous year, position rankings last year?

The other consideration.....is this a single year roster? Are we building a dynasty team? IS there a salary cap or any considerations like that?

Dicky McElephant
08-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Anyone in any of the other leagues who wants to move up and take my team? I gotta back out. I'm not going to have the time for this.

Fat Elvis
08-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I have my first three rounds ready to go.

Fat Elvis
08-09-2011, 11:16 AM

It takes a long while.

Fat Elvis
08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
The user interface was created by Domo.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MY1v3YfYfyc/TbjsQD7dvHI/AAAAAAAABuE/R4X51JWMXyU/s800/super_domo_kun.jpeg

cdcox
08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm trying to do my real job today, so I won't be on much until evening. However a quick mid-day update.

1. To find all of the QBs, type "qb" in the search box above the player lists. The search function is good and fast because the page doesn't have to reload. This will at least make it easy to find players.

2. Yeah, the draft board sucks. In development mode I was running with a test database of about 10 or 15 players on my localhost and it ran great. Not so much with 1800 players and going through a shared host and networks. It is going to need some kind of rework, but it will probably take a few days, maybe longer.

3. Email notification is close to being done. I should have that working tonight. So that will help with manually drafting during working hours.

4. I'm considering not advancing who is on the clock between midnight and 6:00 AM Central time. You could still draft, but your time slot would not expire during those hours. Honestly, after the first 5 rounds or so, I don't think it will matter that much if you miss a couple of slots. I'm a little worried about getting that coded correctly on short notice and it will significantly slow down the draft. I'm really on the fence on this one. What do you think?

5. If we need to extend the draft by a week or two into the beginning of the season, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks for your patience and honest feedback. We really want to make this work.

cdcox
08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm probably a retard, but I'm trying to set up my board, and all I get are the guys whos name starts with the letter A as options. How do I scroll down?

Should be a scroll bar on the edge of the list.

Also, do more searching and less scrolling.

cdcox
08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
The other consideration.....is this a single year roster? Are we building a dynasty team? IS there a salary cap or any considerations like that?

Dynasty team. No salary cap in version 1, maybe later.

rageeumr
08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
4. I'm considering not advancing who is on the clock between midnight and 6:00 AM Central time. You could still draft, but your time slot would not expire during those hours. Honestly, after the first 5 rounds or so, I don't think it will matter that much if you miss a couple of slots. I'm a little worried about getting that coded correctly on short notice and it will significantly slow down the draft. I'm really on the fence on this one. What do you think?

I'm in favor of this.

One more thing - it appears that the default penalty for missing your pick is that you get skipped. Is there any way to change this to reverting to your draft board? I can see a lot of issues with people forgetting to check the autopick box, especially overnight.

tooge
08-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Sorry, this is too slow for me right now. Good luck guys! I love the idea though. If anyone wants my team (Flint Knappers), PM me and you can take it over. It is league 1

patteeu
08-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm in. First pick on my draft board is Derrick Johnson because I hear that linebackers who return INTs for TDs are good.

Toadkiller
08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Wow the interface is so slow for me, trying to do this at work and it just is painful. I am going to also have to back out of my team, just don't have that amount of time that this will take.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Should be a scroll bar on the edge of the list.

Also, do more searching and less scrolling.

The search function is wicked fast. I initially avoided it, but it's peachy keen.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM

As cdcox mentioned, you can search "qb" and it's fast. Alternately, you can click on the little position thingie to sort by position and that works pretty nicely.

David.
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Doesn't even take that long you lazy bastards. Nfl.com + search = done in 15 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

AndChiefs
08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
As cdcox mentioned, you can search "qb" and it's fast. Alternately, you can click on the little position thingie to sort by position and that works pretty nicely.

Okay that makes it a bit easier. I assumed search function would only search names not positions.

AndChiefs
08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
One quick thing I noticed...in the rookie draft there are two guys listed as "RB" all the others are listed as "HB". Could be easy to miss those two.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes it does anybody want to trade to pick 10 in league 2

What are you asking? I'm the Duluth Pillagers.

shorman22
08-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm getting an error when I go to propose trade...so that needs to get fix before I send it. Late first and early second and I throw u my 78th overall.

RockChalk
08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm currently in League 3. I will take over Tooge's spot in League 1 if nobody else has spoken for it yet.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm getting an error when I go to propose trade...so that needs to get fix before I send it. Late first and early second and I throw u my 78th overall.

Oh, wait. You're in League 2. My bad. I'm in League 1.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm currently in League 3. I will take over Tooge's spot in League 1 if nobody else has spoken for it yet.

How many are in League 3 right now? We've got a couple of other League 1 spots that opened up, so I'm sure cdcox can get you moved over.

Guru
08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
How many are in League 3 right now? We've got a couple of other League 1 spots that opened up, so I'm sure cdcox can get you moved over.

Move me over

RockChalk
08-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Only 8 when I signed up. I'd appreciate it if I could get moved over to League 1

What do I need to do?

Fat Elvis
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
How do you know what league you are in?

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Only 8 when I signed up. I'd appreciate it if I could get moved over to League 1

What do I need to do?

PM cdcox and he'll get to it when he can.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Move me over

PM cdcox. We'll need to fill the League 1 openings.

RockChalk
08-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Nevermind. Tooge gave me his info. How can I get his Log-in information changed over to mine?

Also, I will need my team in League 3 deleted. I was the Ventura Highway's

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:20 PM
How do you know what league you are in?

That's a really good question. We'll need something to spell that out.

For the time being, if you can set up a draft board you're in either League 1 or League 2. If the Duluth Pillagers are the 2nd pick in the veteran draft you're in League 1, otherwise League 2.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Nevermind. Tooge gave me his info. How can I get his Log-in information changed over to mine?

Also, I will need my team in League 3 deleted. I was the Ventura Highway's

Cool. cdcox will take care of these things, but you might want to pm him.

RockChalk
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Cool. cdcox will take care of these things, but you might want to pm him.

I PM'd him. Thanks!

Guru
08-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Great. First to respond in this thread but probably last to PM. Wish you would have said to PM cdcox in the first place.

DMAC
08-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I will be unable to draft unless I am at work due to being on iOS at home.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Great. First to respond in this thread but probably last to PM. Wish you would have said to PM cdcox in the first place.

We're a startup. Not all systems are working perfectly yet, but we're making progress. Please pardon our dust.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
I will be unable to draft unless I am at work due to being on iOS at home.

Oh! Oh! Set up your draft board! You can be the guy who tests its mettle!

DMAC
08-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Oh! Oh! Set up your draft board! You can be the guy who tests its mettle!

Im workin on it. It is jumbling up the order. It goes from 1 to 10 to 11 to 2.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Im workin on it. It is jumbling up the order. It goes from 1 to 10 to 11 to 2.

Yeah, that's a bug we're fixing. It's sorting them alphabetically rather than numerically. The numbers are correct, so don't worry about the order.

DMAC
08-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that's a bug we're fixing. It's sorting them alphabetically rather than numerically. The numbers are correct, so don't worry about the order.

Autopick...ACTIVATED.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Autobotsymbol.jpg

shorman22
08-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I'll move over

Dartgod
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Only if I can keep my team name.

I really want to be The Provo Lone Wolf Pack

rageeumr
08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Only if I can keep my team name.

I really want to be The Provo Lone Wolf Pack

No way dude. Provo is on lock in League 1. I will turn it over (jersey number style) but I require 2 1sts and a 3rd.

Dartgod
08-09-2011, 02:44 PM
No way dude. Provo is on lock in League 1. I will turn it over (jersey number style) but I require 2 1sts and a 3rd.
I'll wait patiently. No one can compete with a team that has cheese AND wolves in it's name.

AustinChief
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Seriously, St Jo Stetsons? ouch... that's just mean!

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Okay, 30 minutes to draft start. cdcox isn't available right now, so let's hope it all goes well.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Seriously, St Jo Stetsons? ouch... that's just mean!

You should become the Abilene Mean Fighting Machines.

shorman22
08-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Am I in league 1 now?

rageeumr
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Okay, 30 minutes to draft start. cdcox isn't available right now, so let's hope it all goes well.

Isn't it an hour and a half?

And is anybody else having issues with the site? I haven't been able to load it for about 10 minutes or so.

DMAC
08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
ITS DOWN grob

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Crapola. The site's down. I hope this means that cdcox is just in there fixing something, because there's no other reason we would expect. We might have to stand down until he gets home from work. I sent him an e-mail.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Am I in league 1 now?

Not sure yet. If you haven't heard from cdcox, probably not at this point.

KurtCobain
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
I can't find an appropriate face palm.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I can't find an appropriate face palm.

I'll send you a picture of me doing it.

I'm guessing that cdcox is working on something and that it'll be up soon. Stay tuned.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Crappity crappity crap. Stay tuned.

While you're waiting, enjoy the heartwrenching music of Mr. Conway Twitty.

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Og1QRtcWdEY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Og1QRtcWdEY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 03:50 PM
It's up! It's up! The draft is on!

David.
08-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Hope my auto board works. Stupid job makes me not be at home.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Hope my auto board works. Stupid job makes me not be at home.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you Fort Wayne? If so, there's a trade offer being made to you.

AustinChief
08-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Dude, we are 10 minutes in and not a single pick has been made yet! COME ON you slackers!

David.
08-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Are you Fort Wayne? If so, there's a trade offer being made to you.

Nah I'm happy with 4 players with the top pick. Id be giving up too much for 2 picks up.
Posted via Mobile Device

4th and Long
08-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Dude, we are 10 minutes in and not a single pick has been made yet! COME ON you slackers!
It's payback for the whole B-17 Bomber fiasco. :D

Guru
08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Something tells me the draft is going to take at least a month. With league three still needing several members how is that going to work?

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Something tells me the draft is going to take at least a month. With league three still needing several members how is that going to work?

We'll try to fill it up as quickly as possible.

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Nah I'm happy with 4 players with the top pick. Id be giving up too much for 2 picks up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Damn you.

rageeumr
08-09-2011, 04:17 PM
So has it actually started? My page still says it starts at 4:49 (30 minutes from now)

Rain Man
08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
So is it actually started? My page still says it starts at 4:49 (30 minutes from now)

Oh. I forgot that it was daylight savings time. You're right. It starts 30 minutes from now, so that we can use less electricity during the draft.

cdcox
08-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Sorry folks, been working at the real job.

Draft starts in 30 minutes.

I'm going to try to get owners switched by then...