PDA

View Full Version : Football Bryant McKinnie and Matt Roth

Mr. Laz
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Bryant McKinnie and Matt Roth are ready and available

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 8, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/b-mckinnie1.jpg?w=143 Getty ImagesThere was some chatter that left tackle Bryant McKinnie (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1210/bryant-mckinnie) would take a year off after getting cut by the Vikings, but he quickly dispelled that theory on Twitter.
Now we know how much he’ll play for. For the low price of $2.5 million (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/08/agent-seeking-1-5-million-for-ex-viking-mckinnie/) plus “reasonable incentives”, McKinnie can be all yours.
NFL.com reports McKinnie’s agent Drew Rosenhaus sent an email to all 32 teams detailing McKinnie’s asking price. (Rosenhaus oddly tried to trade Taylor Mays too (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/49ers-e-mail-every-team-trying-to-trade-taylor-mays/).)
This McKinnie report reminded us of something Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald wrote earlier Monday. Free agent Matt Roth (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3190/matt-roth) is reportedly telling teams he’s available for $3 million (http://twitter.com/#%21/RapSheet/statuses/100633977152471040) on a one-year deal.
Roth reportedly talked contract with the Patriots, but they went in a different direction (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/08/shaun-ellis-had-an-easy-decision/).

BigRock
08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
For the low price of $2.5 million plus “reasonable incentives”, McKinnie can be all yours.

Those incentives: pies. Delicious pies.

RedThat
08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
If I were the Chiefs, I'd sign both guys. It wouldn't hurt.

Richardson is no guarantee at RT. Signing McKinnie provides some depth and competition at the position.

Roth is a pretty solid 3-4 OLB. And at the very least would provide depth for this team. He could be the starter from day one while the Chiefs develop Houston and/or Sheffield along the way.

Bottomline, signing both guys improves your 53 man roster significantly.

CoMoChief
08-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Wasn't it reported that McKinney weighed close to 400 lbs? That's incredibly big folks...and not in a good way lol. At his age, if he's weighing that much and not caring about being in shape then all that tells me is that he's playing for a paycheck and nothing else.

350lbs is one thing.....and there arent very many tackles in the NFL that even weigh that much......but 400 lbs? my god.

CoMoChief
08-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Plus I think we should at least look what Studabaker can do first....he's played well when he's had his chances. He's at least better than Vrabel.

BossChief
08-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Id pass on BM for the league minimum, even.

Roth would be a good signing, but 3 million is to much to spend on a depth player...and Im probably the biggest fan of Roth on the board...if not, one of them.

Halfcan
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Is that what agents do now days-send out SPAM emails. Wow I want to be an agent.

Chocolate Hog
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
No better coach to motivate a guy like BM than Haley and if he does so he's the best tackle on the team. Sign him up.

Halfcan
08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Id pass on BM for the league minimum, even.

Roth would be a good signing, but 3 million is to much to spend on a depth player...and Im probably the biggest fan of Roth on the board...if not, one of them.

I would rather have David Lee Roth- He can jump and do the splits in the air after touch downs.

Micjones
08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd take Roth. He improves the defense.

Chocolate Hog
08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I disagree on Roth his sack numbers are minimal. If Sheffield is healthy he's the man for the job until Houston gets it. Studebaker is a good backup/special teams player. I see no reason bringing Roth in at this point.

Baby Lee
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
MN's consolation prize for failing to beat us in the Ryan Sims sweepstakes. ROFL ROFL

rocknrolla
08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Plus I think we should at least look what Studabaker can do first....he's played well when he's had his chances. He's at least better than Vrabel.

I think that kid is going to be great.

Dave Lane
08-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Those incentives: pies. Delicious pies.

Scratch that. BBQ!!!!!

chefsos
08-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Scratch that. BBQ!!!!!...but save room for pies.

MIAdragon
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Wasn't it reported that McKinney weighed close to 400 lbs? That's incredibly big folks...and not in a good way lol. At his age, if he's weighing that much and not caring about being in shape then all that tells me is that he's playing for a paycheck and nothing else.

350lbs is one thing.....and there arent very many tackles in the NFL that even weigh that much......but 400 lbs? my god.

can he play NT?

chefsos
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't think McKinnie has been very discerning about what he engulfs, anyway.

chefsos
08-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Wait a minute! BBQ Pie! It's perfect.

Unless, that's classified as Quiche. No.

But, once again, McKinnie wouldn't care.

Shag
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Yup. And I believe his playing weight last year was listed at 335. That boy enjoyed the lockout...

aturnis
08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I disagree on Roth his sack numbers are minimal. If Sheffield is healthy he's the man for the job until Houston gets it. Studebaker is a good backup/special teams player. I see no reason bringing Roth in at this point.

Roth has been a beast. Great against the run, and bring the heat when rushing the QB. May not get there all that often, but Tamba didn't two seasons ago either. He still had a disruptive presence in the backfield though.

ProFootballFocus loves him:

6. Matt Roth, Cleveland Browns

An oft forgotten man, first as a number two to Joey Porter, and then as a member of the Browns (that’s enough to make most people forget about you). But when Roth has seen the field – and not been asked to play near enough every snap of the season (he faded in the second half of 2010) – he has produced more than his reputation would have you believe. Constantly brings pressure and helps in the run game, the soon-to-be free agent would make an excellent complement to a number of top tier, one-dimensional pass rushers (Kansas City, I’m looking at you).

Grade: +41.4

Who is Matt Roth? I can’t answer with intimate details but I can tell you a bit about the football player.

● Had a very productive 2008 that went under the radar opposite the big sack numbers Joey Porter put up.

● Lost his spot as a Dolphin in 2009, went to Cleveland and played so well Eric Mangini decreed him the best player on the roster.

● Started 2010 in blistering, relentless form before tailing off a bit towards the end of the year.

Essentially, Matt Roth is a proven performer. He can play the run, and he makes life real tough for a quarterback. He may never lead the league in sacks, but he will help the coverage guys behind him by generating a lot of pressures. There should be a significant market for his services and I’ll look at five teams that should be interested and assess the fit, in this, the Matt Roth Sweepstakes.

1. Kansas City Chiefs

Why It Will Happen: Mike Vrabel has retired and Andy Studebaker seemed to become less of a factor the more playing time he saw. If he can’t do the job in sub packages, how can he do it full time? The Chiefs were overly reliant on Tamba Hali, and you can always use someone like Roth who can upgrade the run defense. They have the cap room as well and it doesn’t hurt that Roth played particularly well against KC earlier in the season.

Why It Won’t: The Chiefs may think Studebaker is the answer, or at least be prepared to give him a chance in a move that is nothing if not economically prudent. While they do have cap room they need to work on a big extension for Tamba Hali. Then they need to sort out contracts for Brandon Carr and Wallace Gilberry, among others. They could also deem nose tackle and Aubrayo Franklin, a more pressing concern.

So there you have it. My Matt Roth sweepstakes would see me putting my money on Roth going to the Chiefs. But it’s far from a certainty, and with a talent like Roth you could see a number of suitors make a big play for him.

Maybe their waiting until he'll sign a one year deal or on the cheap?

Mr. Laz
08-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Maybe their waiting until he'll sign a one year deal or on the cheap?umm ... did you read the op?

Saul Good
08-08-2011, 09:28 PM
umm ... did you read the op?

That's not cheap.

rtmike
08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I thought Parcells didn't like him which led to his departure from the Fins'.

Has Pioli brought anyone in that bumped heads with his FIL?

milkman
08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
MN's consolation prize for failing to beat us in the Ryan Sims sweepstakes. ROFL ROFL

I think the Vikings actually won.

He's been a pretty solid LT in this league for 8(?) years.

Sims busted out in 3.

Ebolapox
08-08-2011, 10:00 PM
I think the Vikings actually won.

He's been a pretty solid LT in this league for 8(?) years.

Sims busted out in 3.

yep, no-brainer. they won that for sure.

Bump
08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
if they were willing to play as backups, then I would sign both. If one player on the o-line gets hurt, other than center, we are SCREWED!

Micjones
08-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Houston is your eventual starter there, but he still has so far to go.
He may not give you anything until the second half of the year.
Relying upon Studebaker is foolhardy.
Signing Roth for 1-2 years makes so much sense.

ct
08-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I thought Parcells didn't like him which led to his departure from the Fins'.

Has Pioli brought anyone in that bumped heads with his FIL?

If Parcells didn't like him, then Pioli and Haley don't either.

Red Beans
08-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I think that kid is going to be great.

He's got heart damnit!

FRCDFED
08-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm just hoping we field an attacking defense that is feared and can control the game at times. We seem to be so close and have the cap room that we just need a couple of players to step up and make it happen. We are great in coverage and have been messing with the front seven for so long. If Roth is that one player that can put us where we need to be then just sign him! Stude may be a hard worker and I like blue collar players but we also need game changers! I sure hope that Jackson is an immovable object this year at the point of attack. He showed a couple of flashes in such limited action. I sure hope he pans out! The Steelers or Giants defenses are what we should be trying to emulate....not the Pats!

jspchief
08-09-2011, 10:18 AM
IMO, Roth could be a good option for competition at the spot, gives Houston a year to try and win his way into the starting lineup.

McKinnie has been pretty bad the last few years. Definately declining. I don't see him as anything other than depth.

With both players, I would have to say it depends on who they would replace on the 53 man roster. I don't see either guy as a long term option, so I wouldn't want to cut a youngster with potential for a 1 year band-aid.

KCChiefsFan88
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
McKinnie is a regular on South Beach. I've heard his bar tabs have equaled the GDP of Kuwait on more than one occasion.

JD10367
08-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Someone on Patriots Planet posted that Roth "reportedly angered the Pats by continually upping his asking price". Not sure if it's true. But he was in for a workout, and instead they signed a bunch of other guys. :shrug: Maybe Roth's price will drop low enough to intrigue Pioli.

Detoxing
08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
No to both.

I'd much rather see what our young guys can do then waste a roster spot on a 400 lb LT who has been in decline (that we wan't to switch positions with little TC time AND he still has to get in shape).

The idea of signing BK is laughable in my opinion. Roth, eh, I get it, but I'd rather see Houston and Sheffield in action first.

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-23-2011, 04:44 PM
ProFootballWklyPro Football Weekly

RT @1WinningDrive: #Ravens have reached a two-year agreement in principle, pending T Bryant McKinnie passing a physical tomorrow.

Hydrae
08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
ProFootballWklyPro Football Weekly

RT @1WinningDrive: #Ravens have reached a two-year agreement in principle, pending T Bryant McKinnie passing a physical tomorrow.

So they cut Gaither and are now signing McKinnie. Doesn't make me feel very comfortable about Gaithers overall health.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
So they cut Gaither and are now signing McKinnie. Doesn't make me feel very comfortable about Gaithers overall health.

Actually, from the local stations, it says more about them needing a good back-up behind Jah Reed since Cousins stank as a RT and isn't looking real good as a RG.

Cave Johnson
08-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Actually, from the local stations, it says more about them needing a good back-up behind Jah Reed since Cousins stank as a RT and isn't looking real good as a RG.

Mount suggested in an interview tonight that he would be the LT and Oher would flip back to the right.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
08-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Mount suggested in an interview tonight that he would be the LT and Oher would flip back to the right.

That's possible. The locals haven't been inspired by Oher's play at LT this pre-season.

Course, you have to wade through the purple haze that seems to surround the team's fans and media here.

Surprisingly enough, the media here doesn't seem to have an adversarial role with the team that I've seen from the Star and the KC radio stations since I've been hanging around here (circa 1999).