PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL adds game-day tests for performance enhancers

Stewie
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
NEW YORK (AP) The NFL is adding game-day testing for performance-enhancing substances but not recreational drugs this season under the new collective bargaining agreement.

The league's senior VP of law and labor policy, Adolpho Birch, says Tuesday tests weren't conducted in the past on days there were games "because of logistical issues involved, much more so than any philosophical issues."
Birch says the league has developed a way to test that "is not overly disruptive to the clubs and that respects the game-day process."

Birch would not say where talks between the NFL and the players' union stand or even if they've started about details that need to be worked out before the league can introduce random, year-round blood testing for human growth hormone.

bowener
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
So cocaine is still alright for game day use? LT56 approves of this.

vailpass
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
As long as they can't detect all forms of HGH I'm good with it. We have to let these guys have something to get that edge over mortal men. And yes, I'm serious.

HotRoute
08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Um yeah mr meriman step over here for a second, we are gonna need ya to pee in this cup before you can play today

chefsos
08-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Can they get the results of the test on the spot, before the game? I honestly don't know.

Backwards Masking
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
As long as they can't detect all forms of HGH I'm good with it. We have to let these guys have something to get that edge over mortal men. And yes, I'm serious.

I agree, there are a lot of supplements that don't do jack sh*t compared to real steroids that can give a positive reading. I don't disagree with the game day testing, as long as it's not blown out of proportion or used to give East Coast Bias against whoever happens to be playing the Media Darlings.

Backwards Masking
08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Can they get the results of the test on the spot, before the game? I honestly don't know.

Apparently so, i would think it'd take longer, a lot of companies ive taken drug tests for took days, if not weeks to get the results. but the nfl has a lot more money (not according to the owners though, ha)

chefsos
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I agree, there are a lot of supplements that don't do jack sh*t compared to real steroids that can give a positive reading. I don't disagree with the game day testing, as long as it's not blown out of proportion or used to give East Coast Bias against whoever happens to be playing the Media Darlings.

Apparently so, i would think it'd take longer, a lot of companies ive taken drug tests for took days, if not weeks to get the results. but the nfl has a lot more money (not according to the owners though, ha)Hmm... This thing isn't passing the smell test with me. Say, for example, the Chiefs are in New Jersey to play the Jets late in the year, playoff implications all around. A couple of key Chiefs test hot and are taken right out of the game. On game day. Fans don't know; gamblers don't know. Late, mysterious scratches.

You don't think that will raise all kinds of hell?

EDIT: Not really directed at you, just the pertinent post points. (<- Ha.)

Mr. Laz
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
as long as it's not a blood test on game day

Backwards Masking
08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Hmm... This thing isn't passing the smell test with me. Say, for example, the Chiefs are in New Jersey to play the Jets late in the year, playoff implications all around. A couple of key Chiefs test hot and are taken right out of the game. On game day. Fans don't know; gamblers don't know. Late, mysterious scratches.

You don't think that will raise all kinds of hell?

EDIT: Not really directed at you, just the pertinent post points. (<- Ha.)

Yeah, on second thought it probably isn't a good idea, it is ripe for abuse. It'd be funny though to see all the fantasy owners crossing their fingers and staring at the tube waiting for the results of the random tests every week like most people watch the lottery.