PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: OK, Tamba: It’s time to start talking

Tribal Warfare
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
OK, Tamba: It’s time to start talking (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/08/3065207/ok-tamba-its-time-to-start-talking.html)
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | You’re about to hear from Tamba Hali, in his own words for the first time this year, so prepare yourself accordingly. This is the only place you can hear from him, a major scoop for this column, because the Chiefs’ star linebacker is on a vow of silence.

He doesn’t want to talk to you, to reporters or to you through reporters. Most guys do a news conference after something as monumental as signing a five-year contract worth at least $35 million and as much as $60 million.

Actually, most teams would require it.

This is good business practice at a time when most NFL teams — including the Chiefs — need to sell tickets and generate interest.

But not here, not with the Chiefs or with Hali, two parties that value silence. Except here it comes, Hali’s own words, an exclusive interview that we now present in its entirety:

Me: “Tamba, you got a second?”

Hali: “How you guys doing?”

And then he kept running, up the hill, smiling and gone until he’s asked again today whether he’d like to speak to fans through the media. Supposedly the time is coming. On Monday, when a Chiefs employee asked whether he’d like to talk, he of course declined but supposedly said he’s getting closer.

This is all so silly. Hali is, by all accounts, a good man and teammate. Works hard. Led the AFC in sacks last year and is the biggest playmaker on a defense that should be very good fairly soon.

He has a terrific story to tell, about growing up in war-torn Liberia, where he was told to lie about his father’s faith because Muslims were often killed. He didn’t ask questions when his mother sent him away one night with a stranger to sleep in the wilderness to avoid an expected raid by rebels.

This is a self-made NFL star who comes from a culture that values silence, and he sees his quiet as part of why he’s here.

Fair enough. Even here at camp, when he’s not talking, he’s signing every autograph he has time for, which is great, but c’mon.

Is it too much for a guy to ask for a guy to spend three minutes to talk about how happy he is?

Hali and Dwayne Bowe are the only guys who’ve refused to talk, and that’s their prerogative, at least until the regular season starts when NFL rules kick in.

To be clear: There is nothing personal here. If a guy finds interviews excruciating, not worth the time, fine. Reporters get told “no” a lot. No harm done and nothing personal.

It’s just different with Hali. This isn’t Bowe weaning himself off interviews like a recovering addict who knows the danger of one wrong slip. It’s in Hali’s interests to talk, and the team’s, too. The preseason is largely about marketing and driving interest and aside from quarterback Matt Cassel, there may not be a player fans are more interested in than Hali.

If and when he talks, everybody wins.

Hali stayed silent all last season until setting a career high in sacks, when he sat down with Star reporter Kent Babb for a promised interview — which he knocked out of the park.

It was one of the most popular stories written about the Chiefs in any publication all season. There’s obviously interest.

The Chiefs promote a culture of being careful with public comments, so in this way Hali is the perfect employee. On Monday, Tony Moeaki had an awkward group interview in which he referred most questions to coach Todd Haley. Nobody gets anything out of that.

So of course the team doesn’t have a problem with Hali not talking. You can imagine Haley and Scott Pioli high-fiving at every no-comment. The club’s spin is that they want Hali focused solely on football, and that his denial of distracting media questions means he’s being a good teammate.

Except that’s a bit insulting to both Hali (he’s not capable of answering a few questions and playing football?) as well as his teammates (is Eric Berry somehow hurting the team by answering questions?).

Plus, this is different now for Hali. This isn’t last year when he was finding his way. He’s a new player, in a better place in the league’s hierarchy, and part of cashing at least $35 million is spending a few minutes every week talking to fans through the media.

Heck, even a Twitter account could at least satisfy the basic need for fans to hear from one of the team’s biggest stars.

Hali could own this city if he wanted to, maybe not quite in the way Jared Allen did for a few years, but close.

If it’s not in Hali’s nature to want that, fine. In many ways, it’s even admirable. But that doesn’t change the fact that thousands of Chiefs fans would like to hear from him.

He’d do them and his team an incredibly easy favor by finally talking.

Count Zarth
08-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Meanwhile, here's some quotes Bob Gretz got out of Hali. NICE GOING, MELLINGER:

“I wanted to be here, of course I wanted to be here,” Hali said of the 5-year, $60 million deal that he signed last week. “These are my teammates, this is my team.”

“Any player would want to be here longer than a year,” Hali said. “Our game is so risky because of the injuries; you want to take care of the business part and come in and just play football and not worry about being hurt and just having fun on the field.”

“Those guys wanted me here and I wanted to be here,” Hali said. “I put pressure on (his agent) to get the deal done so I could be here.”

“I worked hard this off-season,” Hali said. “Our bodies are not machines, so we have to provide maintenance. I did what I needed to do to make sure my shoulders were strengthened.”

Mr. Laz
I have absolutely no problem with Tamba not talking to the media. He's a solid, hard working guy who doesn't need to run his mouth to do his job.

no problem at all if the first time he talks to the media is at his HOF induction.

stonedstooge
Maybe he has nothing to say

Halfcan
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I have absolutely no problem with Tamba not talking to the media. He's a solid, hard working guy who doesn't need to run his mouth to do his job.

no problem at all if the first time he talks to the media is at his HOF induction.

:thumb:

Reaper16
08-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Meanwhile, here's some quotes Bob Gretz got out of Hali. NICE GOING, MELLINGER:

“I wanted to be here, of course I wanted to be here,” Hali said of the 5-year, $60 million deal that he signed last week. “These are my teammates, this is my team.”

“Any player would want to be here longer than a year,” Hali said. “Our game is so risky because of the injuries; you want to take care of the business part and come in and just play football and not worry about being hurt and just having fun on the field.”

“Those guys wanted me here and I wanted to be here,” Hali said. “I put pressure on (his agent) to get the deal done so I could be here.”

“I worked hard this off-season,” Hali said. “Our bodies are not machines, so we have to provide maintenance. I did what I needed to do to make sure my shoulders were strengthened.”
Hali spoke to the media today, right? The day that Mellinger's column went up? Maybe Sam's column had something to do with that.

Pants
08-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Smellinger is a fucking toolbag. Nothing new here.

Marcellus
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I have mentioned in the past about going to a KO Luncheon and sitting with Hali.

He is extremely shy and quiet at first but opens up some after talking to him for a while. Especially if he knows you only want to talk football.

It figures Mellinger can't get him to talk because one thing Hali does not want to talk about is Liberia and we were asked by a Chief's PR person not to ask any questions about it before he sat with us at the table.

This article is like a Fatlock Jr article. TALK TO ME! PLEASE!

lcarus
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
“Our bodies are not machines, so we have to provide maintenance.

Machines need maintenance too. :drool:

KcMizzou
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM

no problem at all if the first time he talks to the media is at his HOF induction.Agree 100%. The media gets a lot more wound up about this than the fans. Practically all sports interviews consist of the same cliches anyway.

BigRock
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
There was a little rift last week when Peter King acted like Cam Newton owed him an interview, and King got ripped for it fairly hard.

Not only did Mellenger apparently miss that, he actually doubled down on the showcase of media entitlement and stupidity with this remarkable display of tone deafness.

This is a self-made NFL star who comes from a culture that values silence, and he sees his quiet as part of why he’s here.
This is all so silly.

And the worst part is that he probably feels good about himself for having written this shit, because Tamba spoke today.

SNR
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Isn't Mellinger the guy who took over Whitlock's old spot?

He trolls like Whitlock, too

rocknrolla
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
That sounds like the most desperate and pathetic reporter I've ever heard. If the man doesn't want to talk, respect that and move on and do your freaking job. Mellinger sounds like Tebow.

Brock
08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Jason would have mentioned how this is all part of the Pioli media freeze out.

KcMizzou
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Jason would have mentioned how this is all part of the Pioli media freeze out.Egoli.

AndChiefs
08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
This is all I hear when I read this article.

http://www.thenutritionpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/baby-crying.jpg

tk13
08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
This is one of the more bizarre columns I've seen out of the Star. It's like there's no point, it's almost like an exercise in filling column inches. There's just nothing to get excited or angry about here.

CoMoChief
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
God, 610 was whining about this on the radio ALL DAY today.

talk about trying repeatedly to create a story out of nothing. If tamba took a vow of silence for the rest of his life, I doubt any KC Chiefs fan would give 2 shits.

Mr. Laz
08-09-2011, 06:19 PM
i wonder if Mellinger has a twitter account to bomb with a bunch of STFU's?

Detoxing
08-09-2011, 06:20 PM
This is all I hear when I read this article.

http://www.thenutritionpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/baby-crying.jpg

This

Reaper16
08-09-2011, 06:20 PM
i wonder if Mellinger has a twitter account to bomb with a bunch of STFU's?
Yes. It's @mellinger, simply enough.

petegz28
08-09-2011, 06:21 PM
If the mother fucker is putting up 14+ sacks a year, I don't give a flying fuck if he ever talks to anyone.

petegz28
08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey, Mellinger, you want some of this you little bitch???

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/snapshot20101011175425.jpg

KcMizzou
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
What the...

mellinger Sam Mellinger
Entertainment only, but I like the #Chiefs under (7.5) but not as much as the Raiders over (6.5). #Ducking #IquitGamblingBecauseISuckAtIt

Get him. lol

Okie_Apparition
08-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Ask him something we are all interested in. Is your grade of pussy climbing & have you done two at once

TheGuardian
08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Tamba is a good hard worker but his ceiling is 8 sacks, and he's not the kind of guy you could build a defense around. He's not a guy that is going to get 14 sacks in a seas...............shit what just happened?

Rausch
08-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Tamba is a good hard worker but his ceiling is 8 sacks, and he's not the kind of guy you could build a defense around. He's not a guy that is going to get 14 sacks in a seas...............shit what just happened?

That pretty much sums up my opinion over the last two years...

Rausch
08-09-2011, 07:01 PM
If the mother ****er is putting up 14+ sacks a year, I don't give a flying **** if he ever talks to anyone.

Whatever he's doing is working.

Keep it up...

KcMizzou
08-09-2011, 07:02 PM
JACKHARRYKSHB JACK HARRY
Little scary how things have been going so smoothly in Chiefs camp. Even Tamba broke his 2 yr silence and talked with reporters.

"WTF am I supposed to complain about on TV? Give me some drama!"

BigMeatballDave
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
If I'm a player, I would talk about anything and everything except football.

KcMizzou
08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
If I'm a player, I would talk about anything and everything except football.Honestly, it's more interesting to me when they do just that. They're so trained to give vanilla, cliched answers to football questions... it's boring as hell. They pretty much have to say a certain thing.

Non-football topics give you a lot better sense of the personality of a player. That's interesting.

petegz28
08-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Is it too much for a guy to ask for a guy to spend three minutes to talk about how happy he is?

Looks pretty ****ing happy to me!

http://www.kcchiefsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/TambaHali4.jpg

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/887477/gyi0062635276.jpg

http://www.chrissembower.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/HaliBloodyPosterizedCloseup.jpg

ThatRaceCardGuy
08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Does the KC star have the worst sports writers in the country ? JFC ...

scott free
08-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Its certainly no big deal if he doesnt want to talk, i get that... BUT PLEEEZ JUST LOOK AT ME TAMMY!

BossChief
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Tamba has and always will be one of the most focused players in the league.

He knows the value of not giving your opponents ANYTHING to use to throw your focus off, come gameday.

Lets say he comes out and gives information about something very personal...that gives his opponents something to throw at his during play that might become a distraction because the man is so genuine.

Its not just that either...lets say he goes out and makes a statement that he is gonna destroy every quarterback he faces this year...or something of the sort, in an effort to "pump up the fanbase"

What do you think would be on every LTs locker the week we play them?

There is a lot to be said about saying NOTHING.

KcMizzou
08-09-2011, 08:20 PM

He knows the value of not giving your opponents ANYTHING to use to throw your focus off, come gameday.

Lets say he comes out and gives information about something very personal...that gives his opponents something to throw at his during play that might become a distraction because the man is so genuine.

Its not just that either...lets say he goes out and makes a statement that he is gonna destroy every quarterback he faces this year...or something of the sort, in an effort to "pump up the fanbase"

There is a lot to be said about saying NOTHING.I don't think it's anything like all that. The dude just wants to keep to himself, and concentrate on doing his job. Some people are like that. Some aren't.

Reaper16
08-09-2011, 08:23 PM

There is a lot to be said about saying NOTHING.

How would that be any different from an opposing lineman dogging him for being silent. "Tamba you mute or something? You retarded? C'mon Silent Bob, don't you know English?" Or some shit like that?

milkman
08-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't care if Hali evers says anything.

Actions speak louder than words, and that badass is LOUD on the field.

Deberg_1990
08-09-2011, 08:31 PM
What a desperate, pathetic ploy to try and get a story. Big time Mellinger fail. Where did the Star get this turd?

BossChief
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
The dude just want's to keep to himself, and concentrate on doing his job. Some people are like that. Some aren't.thats pretty much exactly what I just said. I just went a little further into it is all.

How would that be any different from an opposing lineman dogging him for being silent. "Tamba you mute or something? You retarded? C'mon Silent Bob, don't you know English?" Or some shit like that?

Im sure some have tried that approach.

Difference is that if you make things totally personal, it can work all for you, or it can backfire and Im sure that Hali is just trying to keep all distractions away from him so that he can continue to improve as a player.

Thats all.

scott free
08-09-2011, 08:34 PM
It seems pretty clear that he's just a naturally quiet guy who doesnt seek attention.

And as many know, its the quiet guy you gotta look out for.

chasedude
08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Some people just don't wanna talk about their life stories. Growing up in Liberia would have been very psychologically traumatic on a child. No one wants to relive bad memories.

Just let the man play football and talk about football. Piss off Mellinger.

InChiefsHell
08-09-2011, 08:55 PM
It was one of the most popular stories written about the Chiefs in any publication all season. There’s obviously interest

Translation: Nobody wants to read our shit. The least Hali could do is give people a reason to...

Mellinger is a douche...

BigRock
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Isn't Mellinger the guy who took over Whitlock's old spot?

He trolls like Whitlock, too

Jason was among the people who called out Peter King for acting like he was entitled to interview Cam Newton. It'll be interesting to see if he reacts to Mellinger doing the same thing on an even bigger scale. He's hardly tweeted since this article went up, so nothing yet.

Pablo
08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Tamba is a good hard worker but his ceiling is 8 sacks, and he's not the kind of guy you could build a defense around. He's not a guy that is going to get 14 sacks in a seas...............shit what just happened?He just has marginal physical talent. Willpower can only drive so far when your feet are planted in mud every down.

-King-
08-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Aside from giving fans a scare with cramping and dehydration on his first day back, Hali has appeared to be in excellent shape over his first few practices.

“I believe in working,” Hali said. “Impressing myself is not really important, it’s been about working since I’ve been here. I feel like I’m coming into the player that I want to be come and I’ll continue to have that success on the field.”

Despite turning in a career-high 14.5 sacks to pace the AFC last season, Hali is hesitant to make any bold predictions for 2011. He’s instead crediting last season’s breakout to the improved play of the Chiefs defense.

“I can personally have my goals, but it’s more about the team,” Hali said. “A lot of credit goes to our team, our coaches really put me in a position to make plays - we’ve got a bunch of good players on our team that allows other players to make good plays.

“Derrick (Johnson) being the best linebacker we have on our team, you have to watch him, he’s all over the field, so that allows us to make plays. Credit to the defensive lineman and our safeties back there; Eric Berry coming in with all the young safeties really helped (me). I mean, I could set my goals but football is not like basketball, we have to work as a collective team, group, and that helps with (getting) sacks.”

Hog Farmer
08-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Truth is he has turretts and can't tlk without blurting out profanity.

Rausch
08-10-2011, 02:41 AM

That must be horrible...

:D

KCUnited
08-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Hey Tamba, can you talk a little bit about your feet? How do you generate that much quickness with those bowed legs?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-10-2011, 05:42 AM

I wouldn't cross his path if he had turrets.

http://worldsstrongestlibrarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/turret.png

War_Paint
08-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Hellinger, I don't know how long you've been a reporter for the Star, but I truly hope you aren't going to follow in Jason Whitlock's stupidity.
You state in your article, "To be clear: There is nothing personal here. If a guy finds interviews excruciating, not worth the time, fine. Reporters get told “no” a lot. No harm done and nothing personal."
How can it NOT be personal, when you're hounding him for an interview (likely so you can feel you 'one upped' your colleagues), and to ad insult, you delve into some of his most personal family history. Granted, Tamba may have divulged those
secrets in past interviews, but to bring it up in this venue, is very disrespectful.
All of you know the type of person Tamba is (quiet and laid back), and how this franchise places a high value on the teams, and personal privacy (APPLAUD!!)
Get off your soap box, and show the city and the team we all support, some respect
and gratitude, that we can even have persons of Hali's character. When the time
comes, Hali will speak with you. Until then, shut up and find another story!!

Omaha
08-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Machines need maintenance too. :drool:

Excellent point.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-12-2011, 09:39 AM
How can it NOT be personal, when you're hounding him for an interview (likely so you can feel you 'one upped' your colleagues), and to ad insult, you delve into some of his most personal family history.

Ad:

http://images02.olx.com/ui/5/16/15/1273502588_92581115_1-Private-English-Lessons-for-You-and-Your-Kids-Bay-Ridge-1273502588.jpg

Add:

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/f/e/5/e/11954452971071026229jean_victor_balin_add.svg.med.png

Mr. Laz
08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
really?

wow, i bet that's almost as bad as having Tourette's.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-12-2011, 10:08 AM
really?

Too late, Laz.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7813644&postcount=50

JohninGpt
08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
really?

TITTIESPRINKLES!

SNR
08-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Fire Me Boy is putting ya'll's spelling to shame.

Buck up kids. Cruising Chiefsplanet is a bumpy ride

CoMoChief
08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Basically this was the media crying and bitching because they honestly have nothing to talk about. The lockout really messed up the overall schedule of camp....players are hardly in pads playing physical...most of the time its walkthroughs and class time. What can the media talk about?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Fire Me Boy is putting ya'll's spelling to shame.

Buck up kids. Cruising Chiefsplanet is a bumpy ride

ROFL

I'd point out, however, that "y'all" is a contraction of "you" and "all"; you misplaced the apostrophe.

:D