PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs' Tamba Hali breaks his silence

Tribal Warfare
08-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Chiefs' Tamba Hali breaks his silence (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/09/3066510/chiefs-tamba-hali-breaks-his-silence.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

ST. JOSEPH | Outside linebacker Tamba Hali ended his self-imposed media silence at Chiefs training camp by saying his reticence helps him concentrate on the bigger task at hand.

That, of course, is to get after the opposing quarterback.

“I don’t want to come here and tell you guys this is what I’m going to do or this is what didn’t happen or give a bunch of excuses,’’ Hali said. “It starts with me first. I’ve got to make sure I can take care of business that I’m here to do. I don’t want to be in front of the media every day explaining what’s going on.’’

Hali did his job well enough last year that he led the AFC with 14 ½ sacks, a feat that earned him a new, five-year contract worth $60 million, including $35 million guaranteed. Hali signed the deal last week.

Hali thanked the Hunt family for his new contract and allowing him to continue his career with the Chiefs.

“There was no holdup,’’ he said. “The lockout had a lot to do with it. Coach (Todd) Haley wanted me here, Romeo (Crennel) wanted me here. It was just a matter of time for it to happen.’’

Asked whether he wanted it to happen, Hali said, “Of course I wanted to be here. I missed my teammates.’’

Hali indicated he wouldn’t have signed the Chiefs’ one-year contract offer for about $10.9 million. The Chiefs were obligated to making that offer to Hali when they named him their franchise player.

He wanted a longer term deal and said he “put a little pressure’’ on agent Brian Mackler to get it done.

“Any player probably would want to be here longer than a year,’’ he said. “Just the fact our game is so risky with injuries. You want to take care of the business part and come and play football and not worry about being hurt.’’

Hali has been one of the Chiefs’ top pass rushers since he arrived as their top draft pick in 2006. But he took a huge leap last year, topping his previous career high by six sacks.

“I feel like I’m becoming the player I want to become,’’ he said. “I personally have goals but it’s more about the team. A lot of credit goes to our team, our coaches. They really put me in position to make plays. It’s a collective effort. We’ve got Andy (Studebaker). We’ve got Brandon Flowers. We’ve got Derrick Johnson. We’ve got a bunch of good players on our team that allow other players to make good plays.

“Credit to our defensive linemen and safeties back there. Eric Berry coming in at safety really helped us back there. I can set my goals but football is not like basketball. We have to work as a collective team.’’

-King-
08-09-2011, 10:21 PM
WTF? KC Star has some idiotic ass employees.

4th and Long
08-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Color me uninsightful. This is all post game locker room speak.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By
08-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Thank God Hali broke his silence. Teicher just won his Pulitzer.

Count Alex's Wins
08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Suck it, sMellinger

Hog Farmer
08-10-2011, 03:15 AM
It lost all credibility when he said he gives credit to the defensive line.

griZZly64
08-10-2011, 03:23 AM
i dig the posters on here. almost every post is entertaining, sarcastic, and crude. Still trying to figure out the inside jokes though. There should be a thread for inside jokes.... Telling the history and meaning and all that. Just a thought.

Hog Farmer
08-10-2011, 03:25 AM
i dig the posters on here. almost every post is entertaining, sarcastic, and crude. Still trying to figure out the inside jokes though. There should be a thread for inside jokes.... Telling the history and meaning and all that. Just a thought.

Thanks!

Now shut up!

Rausch
08-10-2011, 03:39 AM
"Fuck off and let me do my job.'

Re-spehk!

Dartgod
08-10-2011, 07:54 AM
These might help, n00b.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207343

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=213414

CoMoChief
08-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Awesome...another brilliant and insightful article from teicher.

Sofa King
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Why the hell did he start off thanking people with Andy Studebaker??????

Otter
08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Wow, kinda what anyone with a brain though happened.

BossChief
08-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Why the hell did he start off thanking people with Andy Studebaker??????
Because Studebaker helped keep quarterbacks from rolling out and away from Tamba to escape pressure.

According to profootballfocus, Hali has been top five in QB pressures for 3 years now, but until last year quarterbacks didnt have to do anything but step up into the pocket or roll out away from Hali to escape...Andy may not have gotten a lot of sacks, but he held down his side during the pass rush and that gave quarterbacks only one outlet to escape pressure: to step up into the pocket.

Its something that me and Guardian agreed upon a year and a half ago and said over and over that Hali had the potential to do EXACTLY what he did last year...only to get told how dumb we were for thinking that way by the "you know who's".

The scary part about Hali, is that he can be even more productive in coming years as Houston grows into the starters role and the secondary comes into their own.

I honestly believe that he will have 20 sacks in a year sometime in the next 3 years.

milkman
08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Because Studebaker helped keep quarterbacks from rolling out and away from Tamba to escape pressure.

According to profootballfocus, Hali has been top five in QB pressures for 3 years now, but until last year quarterbacks didnt have to do anything but step up into the pocket or roll out away from Hali to escape...Andy may not have gotten a lot of sacks, but he held down his side during the pass rush and that gave quarterbacks only one outlet to escape pressure: to step up into the pocket.

Its something that me and Guardian agreed upon a year and a half ago and said over and over that Hali had the potential to do EXACTLY what he did last year...only to get told how dumb we were for thinking that way by the "you know who's".

The scary part about Hali, is that he can be even more productive in coming years as Houston grows into the starters role and the secondary comes into their own.

I honestly believe that he will have 20 sacks in a year sometime in the next 3 years.

Pretty bold prediction given that 20 sacks or more has been achieved only 7 or 8 times.

Count Alex's Wins
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Rather see Hali get 15 and someone else get 10.

BossChief
08-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Pretty bold prediction given that 20 sacks or more has been achieved only 7 or 8 times.

Lots of factors are included in that prediction.

1) I think Dorsey will take another step and will continue to keep Hali in a position to either fight around the corner or to make a power move inside.

2) Tamba got 14.5 with Brokedick and Studebaker across from him...going form those two (no disrespect to Andy, but Houston is on a different planet as a pass rusher)

3) I bet the team has sent a video to the officiating office during the offseason showing how many times he was held and that they will take a closer look into it during the season. If players start getting called more for holding on him, they wont do it as much and that may give him a few more opportunities.

4) Tamba looks totally ready to rape right now. Seemingly in better shape than most of the league and that may well give him a nice, strong start to the year.

5) I think we are going to get the lead in a lot more games this year and that will put opposing teams in passing situations more often than last year.

6) I expect this team to add another NT next year that within the next few years will be able to help collapse the pocket...therefore giving Hali more opportunities to "close the deal"

I understand its a bold prediction, but Hali is a fucking beast and I think his production can get a lot better as the team around him does so.

Count Alex's Wins
08-10-2011, 07:23 PM
You also have to consider the level of our opponents, though.

I doubt we put opponents in as many passing situations or have the lead as much as we did last year.

I'll be pleased if Hali stays at his current level of production.

BossChief
08-10-2011, 07:28 PM
You also have to consider the level of our opponents, though.

I doubt we put opponents in as many passing situations or have the lead as much as we did last year.

I'll be pleased if Hali stays at his current level of production.

"in the next 3 years"

I agree that this upcoming year, it would be a victory for him to match his 2010 production.

Im expecting this team to continue to ascend and puts Hali in a lot of positions to get to that number.

suzzer99
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Lots of factors are included in that prediction.

1) I think Dorsey will take another step and will continue to keep Hali in a position to either fight around the corner or to make a power move inside.

2) Tamba got 14.5 with Brokedick and Studebaker across from him...going form those two (no disrespect to Andy, but Houston is on a different planet as a pass rusher)

3) I bet the team has sent a video to the officiating office during the offseason showing how many times he was held and that they will take a closer look into it during the season. If players start getting called more for holding on him, they wont do it as much and that may give him a few more opportunities.

4) Tamba looks totally ready to rape right now. Seemingly in better shape than most of the league and that may well give him a nice, strong start to the year.

5) I think we are going to get the lead in a lot more games this year and that will put opposing teams in passing situations more often than last year.

6) I expect this team to add another NT next year that within the next few years will be able to help collapse the pocket...therefore giving Hali more opportunities to "close the deal"

I understand its a bold prediction, but Hali is a ****ing beast and I think his production can get a lot better as the team around him does so.

I really truly hope this is the case. But with all emphasis on protecting the QB, I have my doubts.

cdcox
08-10-2011, 07:49 PM
If they called holding every
time Hali was held most teams would have negative yards on offense.

boogblaster
08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
lets hope he does ....

KCTitus
08-10-2011, 08:01 PM
A good pash rusher is only as good as the rest of the line will allow...Im worried about the middle of the line now.

If the team can hold the run down and force teams into 3rd and long, I think the secondary is good enough to slow the progression and still allow Hali to get into the backfield, but the rest of the line cannot leak.

It's going to be a tough year given the schedule.

Tribal Warfare
08-11-2011, 07:08 AM

If Houston truly establishes his potential we could have another sack frenzy passrush again. :rockon:

griZZly64
08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks!

Now shut up!

fuck up