PDA

View Full Version : Economics CNN Poll: Majority want tax increase for wealthy and deep spending cuts

Dave Lane
08-10-2011, 09:24 AM
New CNN Poll: Majority want tax increase for wealthy and deep spending cuts
mug.cnnpolitics By: CNN Political Unit

Washington (CNN) - Most Americans want a special congressional committee tasked with drafting a long-term solution to the nation's mounting federal deficits to include tax hikes for the wealthy and businesses and deep cuts in domestic spending, according to a new national survey.

A CNN/ORC International Poll released Wednesday also indicates that the public doesn't want the super committee to propose major changes to Social Security and Medicare or increase taxes on middle class and lower-income Americans.

Under the debt ceiling deal passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama last week, a panel of 12 legislators - six Democrats and six Republicans, equally divided between the House and Senate - will be created to try to work out $1.5 trillion in deficit reduction after an initial round of more than $900 billion in spending cuts.

If the committee fails to reach agreement or Congress fails to pass whatever package it recommends, a trigger mechanism will enact further across-the-board cuts in government spending, including for the military.

According to the poll, 63 percent say the super committee should call for increased taxes on higher-income Americans and businesses, with 36 percent disagreeing. And by a 57 to 40 percent margin they say the committee's deficit reduction proposal should include major cuts in domestic spending.

But cuts in defense spending get a mixed review: Forty-seven percent would like the committee to include major cuts in military spending, with 53 percent saying no to such cuts.

Nearly two-thirds say no to major changes to Social Security and Medicare. And nearly nine in ten don't want any increase in taxes on middle class and lower income Americans.

"Republicans and Democrats disagree on the need for cuts in domestic and military spending, as well as tax increases for higher-income Americans, but they do agree that the committee should stay away from tax hikes for the middle class and major changes to Social Security and Medicare," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

According to the survey, only a third say that taxes on wealthy people should be kept low because higher-income Americans help create jobs, with 62 percent saying that taxes on the wealthy should be high so the government can use the money for programs to help lower-income Americans.

"That sentiment has changed little since the 1990s," adds Holland.

The CNN poll was conducted by ORC International on August 5-7, with 1,008 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey was conducted both before and after Friday night's downgrading of the country's credit rating by Standard and Poor's. The poll's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

chris
08-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada.

Of course, they want someone else to support their lifestyles and entitlements.

52% don't pay income tax.

Greece, here we come...sooner or later. Entitlements is going to destroy the budget.

Beat the tired, old drum again: Flat tax, flat tax, flat tax.

mlyonsd
08-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Nearly two-thirds say no to major changes to Social Security and Medicare. And nearly nine in ten don't want any increase in taxes on middle class and lower income Americans.

These are the same people that think fairy dust will come flying out of their butts and turn around entitilements while not raising their own taxes.

Dillusional... It's inevitable they will be proven wrong.

Saul Good
08-10-2011, 09:30 AM
http://mobile.theonion.com/articles/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra,1434/?mobile=true

They also overwhelmingly support other people using public transportation.

Donger
08-10-2011, 09:32 AM
There's a shock.

jiveturkey
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
http://mobile.theonion.com/articles/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra,1434/?mobile=true

They post something pretty much every day that makes me laugh. This one is pretty much spot on.

jiveturkey
08-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada.

Of course, they want someone else to support their lifestyles and entitlements.

52% don't pay income tax.

Greece, here we come...sooner or later. Entitlements is going to destroy the budget.

Beat the tired, old drum again: Flat tax, flat tax, flat tax.It seems as if most people support tax increases, decrease in the size of government, decrease in overall spending and entitlement reform.

Both sides seem to be screaming about one or the other. Everything should be included.

Brock
08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Majority wants benefit cuts for somebody else
Majority wants somebody else to pay higher taxes
Majority wants somebody else to help those poor people

Who ****ing cares.

FishingRod
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
My question is this. Since the Bush Tax cuts became law, there has been constant complaining that all of the cuts went to the rich and the rest of us got squat. Why is there not a ground swell to roll “ ALL” these cuts back? I mean us regular folks didn’t get anything out of them anyway. We are all in this same boat. We all need to sacrifice. Paying Taxes high taxes is patriotic. Why have all the proposals been only to allow the other guys rates to go back up? When two wolves and a sheep get to vote on what is for supper, the outcome is never in doubt.

Bob Dole
08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
My question is this. Since the Bush Tax cuts became law, there has been constant complaining that all of the cuts went to the rich and the rest of us got squat.

Bob Dole is pretty sure he cashed a $300 government check...

Bob Dole
08-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Not that it relates to the thread, but Bob Dole actually researched what it would take to use the public transit system here to go to work every day.

Bob Dole would have to leave the house at 6:30am, and would still be 20 minutes late for work (8:20 arrival).

RINGLEADER
08-10-2011, 10:22 AM
And if other news, thirsty people want water and hungry people want food...

Tie spending to revenues (instead of what politicians HOPE will come in) and cut the baseline budgeting philosophy and your problem is (mostly) solved...

FishingRod
08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Bob Dole is pretty sure he cashed a $300 government check...

I'm glad Bob Dole was patriotic and cashed that check. Can you imagine how many jobs were created or saved? I did the same and my tax rate is slightly lower.

Bob Dole
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm glad Bob Dole was patriotic and cashed that check. Can you imagine how many jobs were created or saved? I did the same and my tax rate is slightly lower.

Only time in the past 5 years Bob Dole went to the store and bought ribeyes. Does that count?

Chief Henry
08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
The whole country wants higher taxes based on a survery of 1008 adults.

FishingRod
08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Only time in the past 5 years Bob Dole went to the store and bought ribeyes. Does that count?

One time in 5 years Bob? I know steaks are hard to eat with your crippled hand but this just makes me sad.

fan4ever
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Any program that robs Peter to pay Paul will always have Paul's support.

BucEyedPea
08-10-2011, 11:35 AM

:thumb:ROFL

2bikemike
08-10-2011, 11:44 AM
A CNN/ORC International Poll released Wednesday also indicates that the public doesn't want the super committee to propose major changes to Social Security and Medicare or increase taxes on middle class and lower-income Americans.

An International Poll?

alpha_omega
08-10-2011, 12:19 PM
They only asked 1008, might as well just been 108.

ROYC75
08-10-2011, 12:24 PM

How many of those 1008 were loons?

But to be fair, we have to increase revenue some how and make major cuts, continue cutting each year until we get this ship turned around.

VAChief
08-10-2011, 12:57 PM

That number could be useful if it is scientifically based. From the National Council of Public Polls website:

Interviews with a scientific sample of 1,000 adults can accurately reflect the opinions of nearly 210 million American adults. That means interviews attempted with all 210 million adults if such were possible would give approximately the same results as a well-conducted survey based on 1,000 interviews.

There are other factors to consider to determine validity, but that sample size is not an issue if those other factors are scientifically vetted. Most polls do not approximate more than 1000 people, and some very good ones often use less.

Brainiac
08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Democracy fails when the plebes discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses.

go bowe
08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
These are the same people that think fairy dust will come flying out of their butts and turn around entitilements while not raising their own taxes.

Dillusional... It's inevitable they will be proven wrong.

two thirds of the country think fairy dust will come flying out of their asses?

two thirds of the country are delusional?

wow, what happened to democracy knows best? :p :p :p

ROYC75
08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
wow, what happened to democracy knows best? :p :p :p

They went out on a limb in 2008 and elected Obama and a bunch of his crooks to DC!o:-)

NaptownChief
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
48% of this country doesn't pay taxes so they are all cool with higher taxes as long as they continue not to pay any....Throw in the 10-15% wacko liberals who will just cheat their taxes if they are in jeopardy of paying them and bang you have a majority. However of the 52% of the people that actually pay taxes I can assure you a very small minority want to see higher taxes.

Pretty damn easy to speak for your neighbors wallet but it is about damn time people just speak for their own.

HonestChieffan
08-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Actually they want higher taxes on the rich, higher taxes on business, and deep spending cuts unless they are affected, free health care, free pre schools and after school care for the brats, and gas at $1.35 a gallon.

go bowe
08-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Actually they want higher taxes on the rich, higher taxes on business, and deep spending cuts unless they are affected, free health care, free pre schools and after school care for the brats, and gas at $1.35 a gallon.

i don't know about the other parts, but i'd love me some $1.35 gas about now...

NaptownChief
08-10-2011, 04:16 PM

You aren't kidding....Democrats alway say they are for spending cuts until one is specfically proposed and then they squeal like a scorned teenage girl on the rag.

Their inability to go back to their constituients and let them know their free ride has been reduced is what has got those crazy bastards calling the lack of higher taxes an "expense". Example, the "expense" they want to cut is the lowered marginal tax rates that Bush gave us.

That is like saying since our federal tax rate isn't 100% on everybody, we can and are willing to cut "expenses" by raising taxes.

KCTitus
08-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I think it's important to know the questions that got that type of response. The question we're left to guess...

I mean what is 'wealthy'? Is it the commonly used term of a person that makes 250k annually? I consider myself well off, and even that is more than I make annually and Im sure a good majority of the respondents as well...maybe like 60 percent or so?

The problem is the 'wealthy' only pay income taxes to a certain point...the mega rich, dont typically pay income taxes, rather they let their money work for them via investments, or tax free bonds, and pay the capital gains rate. Frankly, I think there should be no capital gains tax and the 'wealthy' or mega rich would pay even less. To eliminate this tax would go a long way to create incentives for new business.

As far as taxing businesses, America already has one of the largest corporate tax rates in the world, and news flash, corporations dont pay those taxes. They pass them on to the consumer. It's a business expense like any other. So 63% are stating they want to pay more for their goods and services so the corporation can pay more taxes.

More taxes will not fix the deficit problems we have...it's simply ludicrous to even argue that. There is no way this government could tax its way into prosperity any more than it could spend its way into surpluses. It just doesnt add up.

RJ
08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
It seems as if most people support tax increases, decrease in the size of government, decrease in overall spending and entitlement reform.

Both sides seem to be screaming about one or the other. Everything should be included.

Most people support ideas that are in their own self interest. For instance, I work with several folks who are receiving social security. They're all politically conservative but none of them think we should cut SS or Medicare right now. They all agree it would be a good idea to cut back gradually over the coming years. As in after they are dead. Good people all, human nature is human nature.