PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs rolling the dice with backup QBs

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Chiefs rolling the dice with inexperienced backup QBs

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 10, 2011, 11:47 AM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/chiefs-qbs.jpg?w=250 AP

Matt Cassel (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3237/matt-cassel)’s strong 2010 campaign has him firmly ensconced as the Chiefs franchise quarterback. The drop from Cassel to the next best quarterback on the roster is a steep one.

Tyler Palko (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4499/tyler-palko) and rookie Ricky Stanzi (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6550/ricky-stanzi) are the next two quarterbacks on the depth chart (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/10/chiefs-rolling-the-dice-with-inexperienced-backup-qbs/Former%20Chiefs%20backup%20Brodie%20Croyle%20is%20one%20player%20still%20out%20there.). Palko has been cut by three NFL teams and has thrown six NFL passes. Stanzi was a fifth-round pick this year.

It’s possible the Chiefs could pick up a veteran. Former Chiefs backup Brodie Croyle (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3619/brodie-croyle) is one player still out there.

“We have to continue to monitor, pay attention to who’s available, pay attention to how our guys are developing because they are young developing players,” coach Todd Haley said via the Kansas City Star. “I know they’re both making progress.”

The quarterback situation isn’t the only notable part of the initial depth chart. Jerheme Urban (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2763/jerheme-urban) remains the team’s No. 2 receiver. He continues to run as a starter with first-round draft pick Jonathan Baldwin (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6431/jonathan-baldwin) limited by a sore hamstring. Offseason pickup Steve Breaston (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4261/steve-breaston) looks locked into the No. 3 receiver role.

At running back Thomas Jones (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2408/thomas-jones) continues to be listed as the “starter” over Jamaal Charles (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4617/jamaal-charles), although Charles is expected to get a bigger share of the workload this year.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
My theory is they haven't brought anybody in bc they don't want Cassel looking for his shoulder.

Okie_Apparition
08-10-2011, 10:49 AM
They're bringing back Mark Bradley for the Tampa Bay game. Look for Stanzi in the end zone!

milkman
08-10-2011, 10:49 AM
My theory is they haven't brought anybody in bc they don't want Cassel looking for his shoulder.

Cassel doesn't have a shoulder?

No wonder his arm is weak.

DeezNutz
08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't understand the backup QB position at all.

We have a ton of offensive talent, but we're absolutely fucked if Cassel gets hurt (yeah, I just typed that LMAO). Just flush the season. This approach seems reckless at best.

Eventually, perhaps Stanzi can develop into a solid QB in this league, but that's not happening this season.

Go get a fucking vet.

milkman
08-10-2011, 10:50 AM
"Enconsed as the franchise QB" has to be the single most inaccurate report ever in the history fo reporting.

Pestilence
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Who are they going to get? There is jack shit out there right now.

tooge
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
they dont care if he looks for it, just not on their time

milkman
08-10-2011, 10:53 AM

We have a ton of offensive talent, but we're absolutely ****ed if Cassel gets hurt (yeah, I just typed that LMAO). Just flush the season. This approach seems reckless at best.

Eventually, perhaps Stanzi can develop into a solid QB in this league, but that's not happening this season.

Go get a ****ing vet.

The reality is that there are only a couple of teams with decent backups.

I don't really believe that anyone the Chiefs could pick up at this juncture would offer anymore than Stanzi, except scrub experience.

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 10:53 AM

We have a ton of offensive talent, but we're absolutely fucked if Cassel gets hurt (yeah, I just typed that LMAO). Just flush the season. This approach seems reckless at best.

Go get a fucking vet.
i don't understand it either.

Well, i guess i understand it. Pioli believes that a Quarterback controversy is a bigger risk than an injury.

Still ... it's not the only position where the Chiefs have decided that they don't need quality backups. It's frustrating.

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Who are they going to get? There is jack shit out there right now.

Sage Rosenfels i hope the chiefs sign him when the giants cut him he is due 3million this year and they need cap room.

DeezNutz
08-10-2011, 10:56 AM
The reality is that there are only a couple of teams with decent backups.

I don't really believe that anyone the Chiefs could pick up at this juncture would offer anymore than Stanzi, except scrub experience.

I think Trent Edwards would have been a smart signing. Dude is not a starter, but he'd be a very viable backup.

Sage Rosenfels i hope the chiefs sign him when the giants cut him he is due 3million this year and they need cap room.

This would be a tremendous upgrade from Croyle.

Pestilence
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I would have rather picked up Bruce Gradkowski.

DeezNutz
08-10-2011, 10:58 AM
i don't understand it either.

Well, i guess i understand it. Pioli believes that a Quarterback controversy is a bigger risk than an injury.

Still ... it's not the only position where the Chiefs have decided that they don't need quality backups. It's frustrating.

But what's weird is that there wasn't a player we could have signed who really would have threatened Cassel. I mean, would any sane fan really be arguing for a Trent Edwards to start in front of Cassel?

But that dude is a shit ton better than Croyle/Palko.

LOCOChief
08-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Croyle wasn't causing Cassel to look over his shoulder, he's good with a clipboard and knows the offense and we don't have anybody else.

imo he should've been #2 (qb that is) this year only.

milkman

I imagine the competition is between He and David Carr, with Ryan Perrileaux(sp) as the developmental 3rd stringer.

I would expect Sage Rosenfels to win that battle, and Car to be the one released, and frankly I have no desire to see that guy in a Chiefs uniform.

threebag02

Come at me, Bro. I am wearing the Tubes./Matty Cassel

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
it might serve Pioli well if this stubborn reckless attitude about talent level were to blow up in his face this year. Yes, it would suck for the fans but in the long run it might make us a better organization.

Okie_Apparition
08-10-2011, 11:03 AM
If this, you can dress the 3rd QB rule is in effect now. Will there be a shortage of QBs. Can that third QB perform other tasks. Running back, WR, Safety...

ChiefsDJ56
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
But what's weird is that there wasn't a player we could have signed who really would have threatened Cassel. I mean, would any sane fan really be arguing for a Trent Edwards to start in front of Cassel?

I don't post here much, but I read daily, and through my experience reading this forum, I say the answer is yes. As soon as Cassel has a bad game, there would be people on here clamoring for Edwards to starts.

CoMoChief
08-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Talk bulger out of retirement.

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 11:12 AM

But that dude is a shit ton better than Croyle/Palko.
i dunno ...

Jon McGraw as our primary utility safety

Albert,Richardson and O'callaghan has our group of tackles before TC even started. Hell even a TC injury would kill us, not to mention the general talent level.

Gregg,Toribio and Powe as the NT's at the beginning of TC. Only 1 guy has proven anything at all in the NFL. What happens if Gregg gets injured in the preseason?

If nothing else having more TC bodies would be helpful at several positions.

TEX
08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I imagine the competition is between He and David Carr, with Ryan Perrileaux(sp) as the developmental 3rd stringer.

I would expect Sage Rosenfels to win that battle, and Car to be the one released, and frankly I have no desire to see that guy in a Chiefs uniform.

AGREED. It would be Croyle part two...

Deberg_1990
08-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Yea, im not sure why they are carrying 2 "developmental QB's" No point in that. Maybe they are waiting for someone to get cut?

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Yea, im not sure why they are carrying 2 "developmental QB's" No point in that. Maybe they are waiting for someone to get cut?i don't even consider Palko a developmental QB. Imo he's just a schoolyard athlete who can run the practice squad and do the bootlegs etc that our defense needs to see before facing certain opponents.

Pioli has made sure there was never even a hint of QB competition since Day 1.

Count Zarth
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Jim Zorn cries Phoenix tears, so it's all good.

keg in kc
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Figure it's a late cut signing, or they're a lot more comfortable with Stanzi than anybody sane would be at this point.

As far as "competition for Cassel" goes, that's always been a fantasy. How many teams have ever brought in competition for a starting QB after a trade and a major contract? That backup spot in general is rarely about competition. It's about having, say, a Todd Collins or a Damon Huard there in case Trent Green gets blasted. Not competition, just a degree of insurance (sort of). Which they don't have right now.

Pawnmower
08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't post here much, but I read daily, and through my experience reading this forum, I say the answer is yes. As soon as Cassel has a bad game, there would be people on here clamoring for Edwards to starts.

You give those morons too much credit. It would've been before that. Keep in mind these are the same people who were begging for Croyle (0-17) to start and take every opportunity to bash Mark Castle to try and make themselves look better....for being so absolutely wrong about him.

Chief Faithful
08-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Based on what we saw from Brokie last year how can anyone think the Chiefs are taking a risk with Palko and Stanzi?

Reerun_KC
08-10-2011, 12:57 PM

Just like the coyle touting morons last year...

I was even stupid enough to call for him at one point last year...

Reerun_KC
08-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Figure it's a late cut signing, or they're a lot more comfortable with Stanzi than anybody sane would be at this point.

As far as "competition for Cassel" goes, that's always been a fantasy. How many teams have ever brought in competition for a starting QB after a trade and a major contract? That backup spot in general is rarely about competition. It's about having, say, a Todd Collins or a Damon Huard there in case Trent Green gets blasted. Not competition, just a degree of insurance (sort of). Which they don't have right now.

Its not like 32 other teams to the same thing. Many GM's sink or swim with their guys...

Valiant
08-10-2011, 01:37 PM

We have a ton of offensive talent, but we're absolutely ****ed if Cassel gets hurt (yeah, I just typed that LMAO). Just flush the season. This approach seems reckless at best.

Go get a ****ing vet.

Guess I don't agree. Matt is at his best when he is asked not to lose us a game. I am pretty sure both backups can do that and throw a better ball if given the same calls.

keg in kc
08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Guess I don't agree. Matt is at his best when he is asked not to lose us a game. I am pretty sure both backups can do that and throw a better ball if given the same calls.Yeah, I'm sure Palko and Stanzi would both just step right in and outplay Cassel. I mean, Palko has looked awesome at every turn and it's not like Stanzi's a rookie who just got his first pro playbook a week and a half ago. No worries there.

lcarus
08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
We've been rolling the dice with starting QBs since Joe Montana.

BossChief
08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Palko and Stanzi would both just step right in and outplay Cassel. I mean, Palko has looked awesome at every turn and it's not like Stanzi's a rookie who just got his first pro playbook a week and a half ago. No worries there.

true, true....but yeah, TMK everybody got their playbooks a day or so after the draft when there was that little "lifted lockout" period.

I think Stanzi is gonna end up a damn solid NFL QB, but there is no way he is ready to go into a real game now...or in a month...or even 6 months.

Could he move the team? yes

Could he protect the ball properly against the NFL defenses he would be facing?

I doubt it.

There has got to be somebody they think will shake loose...it would have to be a tree player as well because he would have to come in with some knowledge of the offense.

LOCOChief
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I was even stupid enough to call for him at one point last year...

me too, but he'd be better than the 2 backups we currently have.

Yes I'm stupid enough to call for him again.

BossChief
08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
We've been rolling the dice with starting QBs since Joe Montana.

did you read my troubleshooting post for your Directv system?

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will see if I can help.

Predarat
08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
See if Terry Collins will unretire.

milkman
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
true, true....but yeah, TMK everybody got their playbooks a day or so after the draft when there was that little "lifted lockout" period.

I think Stanzi is gonna end up a damn solid NFL QB, but there is no way he is ready to go into a real game now...or in a month...or even 6 months.

Could he move the team? yes

Could he protect the ball properly against the NFL defenses he would be facing?

I doubt it.

There has got to be somebody they think will shake loose...it would have to be a tree player as well because he would have to come in with some knowledge of the offense.

That mini lockout lift lasted all of one day, and and as reinstated prior to the 5th round of the draft if I recall correctly.

DeezNutz
08-10-2011, 02:35 PM
See if Terry Collins will unretire.

Todd's brother?

DaFace
08-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Where is this impression that Croyle was a suitable backup coming from? We were just as fucked last year when Cassel went down.

mlyonsd
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Where is this impression that Croyle was a suitable backup coming from? We were just as ****ed last year when Cassel went down.Especially since he has always been a paper doll.

Detoxing
08-10-2011, 02:50 PM
We should sign Brodie Croyle. He has a rifle arm and if we could just give him a chance now that there is all this talent, he might be able to take this team to the next level....

Valiant
08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Palko and Stanzi would both just step right in and outplay Cassel. I mean, Palko has looked awesome at every turn and it's not like Stanzi's a rookie who just got his first pro playbook a week and a half ago. No worries there.

Opposed to matt cassel who needs leashed? a leashed vet with horrible accuraccy beyond 15 yds who shits himself against good defenses.

Yeah I am sorry in the history of the nfl have rookies came in and did well with teams set up around them. Let's keep the status quo of our overpaid huard/maddox clones that masquerade as starting qb.

I mean rookies suck. It is rule they should not have a chance for 2 years. Yea cassell.

lcarus
08-10-2011, 03:03 PM
did you read my troubleshooting post for your Directv system?

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will see if I can help.

No I didn't see that. Actually my brother had them come out to fix it and so far it's been working just fine. Thank you though.

Bob Dole
08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
It's especially bothersome when you read that Zorn is all but ignoring everyone but Mark Castle during practices.

Valiant
08-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Especially since he has always been a paper doll.

He is just a more frail version of the villian in unbreakable.

Blick
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Time for Kurt Warner to come out of retirement.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Where is this impression that Croyle was a suitable backup coming from? We were just as ****ed last year when Cassel went down.

Its because he isnt Matt Cassel...

Same shit different year.. Wash, rinse and repeat...

I just dont get it....

milkman
08-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I just dont get it....

We know.

Reerun_KC
08-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Opposed to matt cassel who needs leashed? a leashed vet with horrible accuraccy beyond 15 yds who shits himself against good defenses.

Yeah I am sorry in the history of the nfl have rookies came in and did well with teams set up around them. Let's keep the status quo of our overpaid huard/maddox clones that masquerade as starting qb.

I mean rookies suck. It is rule they should not have a chance for 2 years. Yea cassell.

:spock:

I dont think you make this shit up folks... Now the coaching staff is leashing Cassel?

I honestly think some people make shit up so much they actually start believing the shit they make up...

Reerun_KC
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
We know.

You and I will always be on a different page... Dont worry...

milkman
08-10-2011, 03:34 PM
You and I will always be on a different page... Dont worry...

Same page?

Hell, not even the same book.

I'm reading novels.

You're still trying to grasp Cat in the Hat.

keg in kc
08-10-2011, 03:41 PM

I mean rookies suck. It is rule they should not have a chance for 2 years. Yea cassell.Yeah. Over here the real world, the rookie we're talking about is a 5th round pick who was locked-out the entire offseason. If you think Cassel is leashed, you ain't seen nothing yet. The offense they'd have to run to get Stanzi on the field for the season opener would make the Pistol look ground-breaking and revolutionary.

"Not Cassel" is not enough. That's not the only criteria that it takes to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. I'm sorry to break that shocking news to you. Palko is not an NFL quarterback. And Stanzi's ceiling, which he ain't reaching in the next month, is probably career backup.

Which is I think what the whole point of the thread is. There's nobody behind Cassel right now who belongs on an NFL field. Not in 2011.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I can't wait to see the threads on here after Stanzi completes 2 or 3 passes in the Preseason.

Detoxing
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I can't wait to see the threads on here after Stanzi completes 2 or 3 passes in the Preseason.

Print 'em!

keg in kc
08-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I can't wait to see the threads on here after Stanzi completes 2 or 3 passes in the Preseason.He's Tom Brady, don'cha know!

DeezNutz
08-10-2011, 03:52 PM
It's been subtle, I realize, but I think I've made it clear that I'm not a fan of Cassel. That said, at least with this player, the question is, "Is he good enough to lead a team to a SB?"

With Palko and Stanzi, the question is, "Are either of these players good enough to play in the NFL?"

One has been released 3 times, and the other was a late-round whim (and late-game choker--holla at a Boss when you see him in the street).

JD10367
08-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Veteran backups can be a fallacy. There's a reason they're "veteran backups": they sucked too much to be starters.

Truth be told, the better your team, the less important the backup QB seems to be. I think coaches have the attitude, "The rest of the team is pretty good, if something happens we can sign a guy off his couch and bring him in." :shrug: Look at the Pats and Colts. First Cassel, now Brian Hoyer. Eek. I'm sure those two scared opposing defenses as backups. For Peyton Manning, it was Jim freakin' Sorgi. Yikes.

DeezNutz
08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran backups can be a fallacy. There's a reason they're "veteran backups": they sucked too much to be starters.

Truth be told, the better your team, the less important the backup QB seems to be. I think coaches have the attitude, "The rest of the team is pretty good, if something happens we can sign a guy off his couch and bring him in." :shrug: Look at the Pats and Colts. First Cassel, now Brian Hoyer. Eek. I'm sure those two scared opposing defenses as backups. For Peyton Manning, it was Jim freakin' Sorgi. Yikes.

LMAO.

Fuck you, Pollard.

milkman
08-10-2011, 04:07 PM

And now Curtis Painter.

Exactly why I said that anyone else just offers scrub experience.

JD10367
08-10-2011, 04:08 PM
LMAO.

**** you, Pollard.

I bet he still gets Christmas gifts from Cassel. :D

JASONSAUTO
08-10-2011, 04:41 PM
It's been subtle, I realize, but I think I've made it clear that I'm not a fan of Cassel.

Really? How in the hell did I miss that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
LMAO at people who think they are concerned about a QB controversy and that's why they didn't sign..........................oh there isn't anybody.

Yes, Pioli is more concerned about that than actually winning games.

Give it time, we will find a back up before or during the season.

It can't be any worse than Brokie.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Seriously???? You really believe this????

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
LMAO at people who think they are concerned about a QB controversy and that's why they didn't sign..........................oh there isn't anybody.

What about in 2009 and 2010?

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Yes, Pioli is more concerned about that than actually winning games.

Give it time, we will find a back up before or during the season.

It can't be any worse than Brokie.
Pioli has yet to have a decent backup since coming to the Chiefs so i don't know where you get this "wait until ..." bullshit.

Pioli has fielded nothing but crap behind Cassel since Day 1. I'm not a Pioli or Cassel hater either.

QB position aside ... we've done it at other positions too.

Marcellus
08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
What about in 2009 and 2010?

What about it? Like Brokie wasn't able to stir the pot before finally showing without a doubt he sucks ballz.

Stick with your conspiracy theories if it makes you happy and I will continue to chuckle at it.

Marcellus
08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Pioli has yet to have a decent backup since coming to the Chiefs so i don't know where you get this "wait until ..." bullshit.

Pioli has fielded nothing but crap behind Cassel since Day 1. I'm not a Pioli or Cassel hater either.

QB position aside ... we've done it at other positions too.

That doesn't mean it is in fear of a controversy.

They have made too many other controversial moves without giving a fuck for that to make sense.

Starting Jones over Charles most of the season ring a bell?

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Seriously???? You really believe this????

Yes. I don't think Cassel could handle it mentally. This way he has nothing really to worry about. Face it, he plays his best when he isn't thinking just goes out and plays.

Damn the Man
08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I'll take Stanzi over Palko and Croyle any day. I watched him a few times while he was at Iowa and thought he would be in the NFL. I wouldn't piss on Croyle if he was on fire.

KC Tattoo
08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Good! We don't need to go after a vet QB. This should give Stanzi the growing opportunity he needs. We are only screwed if both those guys go down and left up to Palco. We should stay the course of drafting & weeding out the old.

I don't care as much any more what Cassel does, I care what the team does to win games. I care about building a championship team through the draft and developing our guys to do the job. The sooner Cassel is out and Stanzi & or next years drafted QB plays the happier I will be. I don't want us to render any practice or playing time, by bringing in a player reject from another team.

If Cassel happens to do good for us and makes us "Winning" then great, just buy more time for Stanzi to get familiarity to the NFL play book. If not then can't wait for the Stanzi era to begin.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Yes. I don't think Cassel could handle it mentally. This way he has nothing really to worry about. Face it, he plays his best when he isn't thinking just goes out and plays.

Agree to disagree. I don't buy the whole conspiracy at all.

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 06:33 PM
That doesn't mean it is in fear of a controversy.

They have made too many other controversial moves without giving a fuck for that to make sense.

Starting Jones over Charles most of the season ring a bell?
so it's not fear of a QB controversy it's just lazy? apathy? ignorance?

i seriously doubt any of those 3

Cassel hasn't be able to win a starting job at QB since high school so he is particularly susceptible to having doubts.

Pioli wants no part of Cassel looking over his shoulder.

milkman
08-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Cassel hasn't be able to win a starting job at QB since high school so he is particularly susceptible to having doubts.

I would say that this is in line with what the Patriots have done through the years since Bellichick took the job as HC.

They haven't really had any experienced backups for years.

Valiant
08-10-2011, 06:36 PM

I am sure it will happen.. My whole view point is Cassell has peaked, and frankly it is not much higher then our rookies and backup who could have waaay more upside..

For some reason, people think Cassell is a quality starting QB.. It is Huard all over again..

Marcellus
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM

So who should we have signed to be a backup in 2008 and 2009 since we gravely fucked up and it's all due to Cassel's confidence?

Especially considering in 2008 he just came off of what should have been a Pro Bowl year and he was just traded for and signed to a big contract.

I am sure he was nervous about losing his job in 2008 so who should we have signed that we didn't because of Cassel's fears?

Tell me, I need to know. Don't just spout off shit without an alternative. What was the viable alternative as a back up QB that would have changed things?

keg in kc
08-10-2011, 06:40 PM
For some reason, people think Cassell is a quality starting QB.. Who, exactly?

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I would say that this is in line with what the Patriots have done through the years since Bellichick took the job as HC.

Bledsoe to Brady

Cassel traded

milkman
08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Bledsoe to Brady

Cassel traded

Bledsoe to a 6th round pick that no one thought would ever amount to anything?

And a college QB that never started in college?

boogblaster
08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Zorn should make a better player outa Cassell .. guess we'll have to wait and see ....

Mr. Laz
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
So who should we have signed to be a backup in 2008 and 2009 since we gravely fucked up and it's all due to Cassel's confidence?

Especially considering in 2008 he just came off of what should have been a Pro Bowl year and he was just traded for and signed to a big contract.

I am sure he was nervous about losing his job in 2008 so who should we have signed that we didn't because of Cassel's fears?

Tell me, I need to know. Don't just spout off shit without an alternative. What was the viable alternative as a back up QB that would have changed things?
The same argument i heard from people when we talked about Carl Peterson leaving.

'There is nobody else good ............... '

bullshit

Marcellus
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Bledsoe to Brady

Cassel traded

And neither Brady nor Cassel were experienced when they were back-ups.

You missing the connection to the point?

Marcellus
08-10-2011, 06:48 PM
The same argument i heard from people when we talked about Carl Peterson leaving.

'There is nobody else good ............... '

bullshit

First off you didn't answer this simple question.

Alright then, answer this simple question.

Who was a backup in 2008, 2009, or 2010 who was signed prior to the season starting and who is now a starter making a difference or is a significant cog on the team at QB?

If the answer is nobody, then your point is simply wrong and we didn't miss out on shit.

Who is it?

el borracho
08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
"Chiefs rolling the dice with backup QBs"

Hell, they even have one starting!

Marcellus
08-10-2011, 06:51 PM
"Chiefs rolling the dice with backup QBs"

Hell, they even have one starting!

See, now that's funny.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Well they had John Freisz as a backup when he first took over, then it was Bledsoe, and then from there Brady took off. I think they picked up Vinny Testervade for a while as well.

Detoxing
08-10-2011, 06:52 PM
None of this matters. They signed Keary Colbert. He'll catch everything from anyone.

Exoter175
08-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Cassel will do just fine dinking and dunking all year long now that we have legitimate receivers opposite bowe so we don't fight double teams and get to do some nice counters and delays with charles while they take the 8th man (maybe even 7th man) out of the box :D

If shit hits the fan, Stanzi will be fine. I've watched him his entire career, in my opinion there wasn't a QB more ready to "plug in" in this draft than Stanzi. Ferentz runs a Pro-Style offense up there @ Iowa and has developed him very well over the last 2 years. He actually HAS an arm, and he got reunited with one of his favorite targets (Moeaki), so I don't think we have that much to worry about.

I know we as Chiefs fans have very little faith in backups, ESPECIALLY ones we've drafted, but that whole curse has been lifted. Stanzi isn't Croyle, not even remotely.

SNR
08-10-2011, 11:56 PM
We need a veteran backup this year. That way Stanzi can work his way up the depth chart to the #2 backup position by season's end, and have an entire offseason to prepare for Cassel's injury in Week 2, so he can step in, and win the Super Bowl, asserting himself as the champion franchise QB of Kansas City for the next decade+

Direckshun
08-10-2011, 11:58 PM
This is a lot of blowup about nothing.

Rebuilding teams are shallow. That's how it goes.

We're deep at some positions. We'll get deep at the other ones.

But it takes several seasons to get there. In the mean time, you just hope you don't have to trot out Tyler Thigpen.

BossChief
08-11-2011, 12:04 AM
This may be another area where Pioli may have misjudged the quality of his in house players.

Against the pass rushes we are gonna face I have faith Albert may take the next step (finally) but Barry Richardson will get picked on and that could surely lead to Cassel missing some time to injury.

The difference between playoffs and no playoffs could be a 3-4 game stretch with Stanzi or Palko and a proven vet that can get you a split.

Lets hope it doesnt play out like that.

Direckshun
08-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Why do we give a shit about the playoffs in 2012?

We're not going to the Super Bowl.

Roll with who you have, at the very least it will give us an opportunity to see the youth here develop.

Exoter175
08-11-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure why this is such a huge issue this year.

Last year it was Cassel, Croyle, Palko

This year it'll be Cassel, Stanzi, Palko

That's an upgrade. I'll take Americanzi > Fetal Position Croyle all day long.

Just Passin' By
08-11-2011, 02:16 AM

Yeah, pretty much. After he drafted Cassel and Cassel beat out first Flutie, and then Testaverde, Belichick stopped bringing in the veterans.

Reerun_KC
08-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Same page?

Hell, not even the same book.

I'm reading novels.

You're still trying to grasp Cat in the Hat.

:LOL:

You never disappoint...

buddha
08-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Where is this impression that Croyle was a suitable backup coming from? We were just as ****ed last year when Cassel went down.

This is the best analysis in the thread. Croyle was a known player...we all knew that he sucked badly. He had a very nice arm, but a 10 cent brain. He threw ridiculous interceptions over and over again.

Palko CAN'T be worse than Croyle.

How many teams have good back ups? Not very many. Several teams don't have a starter as good as MC. Like him or hate him, Matt is at least better than average in this league. Not a ringing endorsement, but the NFL is a QB starved league, and the more "dual-threat" QBs that come in, it's only going to get worse.