PDA

View Full Version : Top 3

CaliforniaChief
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I just found out I have the #1 pick in my draft. Everyone's available. Standard Scoring. Starting from scratch.

Who would you pick? Who are your top 3? I'm leaning towards:

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Michael Vick
3. Chris Johnson

Thoughts?

CanadianChief
08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Is standard scoring 6pts or 4pts for a TD pass?

If 6 my top three are...

1. Rodgers
2. Vick
3. Foster

Bump
08-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Vick, no? Johnson, no

Adrian Peterson or Aaron Rodgers or even Tom Brady.

Exoter175
08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Not Foster, Not Peterson, Not Vick.

QB:
Rodgers
Manning
Brady
Rivers

RB:
Rashard Mendenhall
LeSean McCoy
Jamaal Charles
Michael Turner

I'd look very closely at those guys who aren't going to be talked about "much" by major FF media, but should be looked at due to the "obvious" logic that isn't so obvious.

Teams that are winning, will run the ball more often than not in the later portions of the games. Teams that are losing, will more often throw the ball in the later portions of the games.

Teams that are going up against tough schedules will likely be in closer games and will have to continue to pass even when they want to run the clock out.

Teams that are going up against easy schedules will likely be in games that aren't close, and will consider running the ball predominantly more once they get a safe lead, and run the clock out.

Also consider Free Agency/Draft Acquisitions and Departures, as well as training camp injuries that might be worth mentioning.

Winning teams with decent running backs (Pittsburgh, Atlanta, New York Jets) will likely see some great production this year worthy of some much higher than projected draft selections.

My sleeper pick this year is going to be Shonn Greene in the third or 4th round of my 12 man league, and likely 5th or 6th round of my 8 man league, with guys like McCoy, Charles, and Mendenhall as my highest priority RB's. I'm hoping I can land Rivers with my 2nd round pick banking on a terrible start as scheduled, and a not so awesome season last year as compared to what was expected.

Pestilence
08-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm hoping for some odd reason that Shonne Green makes it to the 4th round as well. If I can get Charles in the 1st and Greene in the 4th....then I can throw 2 WRs in rounds 2 and 3....with a QB in the 5th-6th round range.

Exoter175
08-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm hoping for some odd reason that Shonne Green makes it to the 4th round as well. If I can get Charles in the 1st and Greene in the 4th....then I can throw 2 WRs in rounds 2 and 3....with a QB in the 5th-6th round range.

Exactly. Or even a QB in the 2nd/3rd depending on who is still available.

I have a feeling Brees will fall into most 2nd-3rd round draft selections which makes him a huge bargain for the draft value. Same with Cutler, he's going to fall into the 3rd-5th rounds most likely.

Pestilence
08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Exactly. Or even a QB in the 2nd/3rd depending on who is still available.

I have a feeling Brees will fall into most 2nd-3rd round draft selections which makes him a huge bargain for the draft value. Same with Cutler, he's going to fall into the 3rd-5th rounds most likely.

I've been seeing Cutler falling into the 8-10th round range.

I just mock drafted and pulled this (#4 pick):

QB: Josh Freeman, Matthew Stafford
RB: Jamaal Charles, Shonne Greene, Daniel Thomas, Ryan Williams
WR: Mike Wallace, Mike Williams, Mike Thomas, AJ Green, Malcom Floyd
TE: Vernon Davis
K: Nate Kaeding
DEF: Falcons D

Obviously my QB position is the weakest position on my team.....Big Ben got taken one pick before mine. I think Freeman will have a decent year though...and if Stafford actually plays 16 games....he could be a decent QB#1.

Exoter175
08-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Stafford and Freeman should be safe picks if your league scores low. Middle of the pack guys. Probably won't blow up when you need them to, but they probably won't lose a close game for you.

Big Ben would have made that roster pretty nice though lol

Pestilence
08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Well my league scores 6 points for TDs.....-2 points for INTs.

CaliforniaChief
08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
My league scores 4 points for TD passes, 6 for TD runs. Who's the #1 overall player, IYO?

Exoter175
08-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Well my league scores 6 points for TDs.....-2 points for INTs.

Better aim for Big Ben or one of the more, top 7-8 guys with at least one of those early picks.

My league scores 4 points for TD passes, 6 for TD runs. Who's the #1 overall player, IYO?

If you're running PPR+Realistic bonuses to rushing/receiving, I'd probably Rate McCoy, Charles, and Rice as my #1-3 guys. If Foster wasn't dealing with an injury he'd take the spot away from Rice for me.

MoreLemonPledge
08-12-2011, 02:24 PM
If you consider taking a QB in the top 3, you're fucking high. I don't care if they give 20 points per passing TD. It's called position scarcity.

Exoter175
08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
If you consider taking a QB in the top 3, you're fucking high. I don't care if they give 20 points per passing TD. It's called position scarcity.

In a 6 point league with realistic bonuses, QB's are the highest scoring players by far. It really depends on the league setup. While I agree with you mostly, if your league is setup to benefit QB's having great days, guys like Rodgers, Rivers, and Brady are going to be worth a top 5 selection in those leagues.

CaliforniaChief
08-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Ok, we had our draft this morning. 16 teams, standard scoring, 4 pts. throwing TD, no keepers. Here's my team:

QB: Josh Freeman
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB: Marshawn Lynch
WR: Mike Wallace
WR: Vincent Jackson
Flx: Julio Jones
TE: Chris Cooley
D: Patriots
K: Connor Barth

Depth:
Ryan Williams (RB)
Jordy Nelson
Jerome Simpson
Delone Carter
Cam Newton
Earnest Graham
Jonathan Baldwin (Yes, my homer pick, 2nd to last round)

Thoughts?

Exoter175
08-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Ok, we had our draft this morning. 16 teams, standard scoring, 4 pts. throwing TD, no keepers. Here's my team:

Depth:
Ryan Williams (RB)
Jordy Nelson
Jerome Simpson
Delone Carter
Cam Newton
Earnest Graham

Thoughts?

First thought?

Ouch.

Peterson and Lynch are about the worst "starting" tandem I could have come up with.

That being said, you did a pretty solid job on your wide receivers.

Don't know what you were thinking with Cam Newton lol.

I had a pretty "out of the park" draft yesterday in my "why not" league (16 teamer for shits)

QB: Phillip Rivers
RB: Rashard Mendenhall
RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Wes Welker
Flex: Julio Jones
TE: Tony Moeaki
D: Philly
K: Rob Bironas

Bench Players:

Malcolm Floyd, Steve Breaston, James Jones, Thomas Jones, Matt Hasselbeck, Roy Helu Jr.

CaliforniaChief
08-13-2011, 04:20 PM
First thought?

Ouch.

Peterson and Lynch are about the worst "starting" tandem I could have come up with.

That being said, you did a pretty solid job on your wide receivers.

Don't know what you were thinking with Cam Newton lol.

I had a pretty "out of the park" draft yesterday in my "why not" league (16 teamer for shits)

QB: Phillip Rivers
RB: Rashard Mendenhall
RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Wes Welker
Flex: Julio Jones
TE: Tony Moeaki
D: Philly
K: Rob Bironas

Bench Players:

Malcolm Floyd, Steve Breaston, James Jones, Thomas Jones, Matt Hasselbeck, Roy Helu Jr.

16 team leagues are brutal. I like my receivers and will probably parlay 1 or 2 of them into a preseason trade for a solid RB. I got snaked on two picks by the guy 1 or 2 in front of me on DeMarco Murray and Jermichael Finley.

Like you, am excited to see Julio Jones. And Cam Newton is just there for a bye-week start. Low risk high reward.

Exoter175
08-13-2011, 04:41 PM
16 team leagues are brutal. I like my receivers and will probably parlay 1 or 2 of them into a preseason trade for a solid RB. I got snaked on two picks by the guy 1 or 2 in front of me on DeMarco Murray and Jermichael Finley.

Like you, am excited to see Julio Jones. And Cam Newton is just there for a bye-week start. Low risk high reward.

I hate it when that happens man! It is certainly an interesting year because there are only 15-17 true starters this year, and about 20-30 backups capable of being starters so if you can't get a steal in, or pick back to back and get lucky, you can end up with a supbar team.

I got lucky though, I picked first (Rivers, high scoring QB league) then went RB/WR for the next two sets of selections to get my starters. Then finished it out with Jones/Moeaki.

I watched Jones today on the replay, the kid looks good!

Pestilence
08-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Depth:
Ryan Williams (RB)
Jordy Nelson
Jerome Simpson
Delone Carter
Cam Newton
Earnest Graham

Thoughts?

Honestly.....it's not that bad. I really don't like Cooley or the Pats D....but that's just me.

Cam Newton, depending on where you took him, could be a decent pick. The dude is going to start before the year is up....and he's got ability. I'm not saying he's going to be the Vick of this year....but he could be a decent fill in. Marshawn Lynch isn't that bad of a pick either. The Seahawks don't have shit at QB...but they did work on improving their o-line.

CaliforniaChief
08-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah, my biggest concerns for starters are:

1. Will Lynch stay as the starter and be productive in Seattle? If they don't develop a passing game, they're going to lock in on him.

2. Cooley. I had Moeaki in the crosshairs but he was picked about 7 slots before me.
Cooley was best TE available at that point.

3. Will Julio Jones get enough touches?

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Since I don't want to start a new thread, had my draft last night - 8 team standard ESPN ran league.

QB - Peyton Manning
RB- Adrian Peterson
RB - Matt Forte
RB/WR - Cedric Benson
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
WR - Dwayne Bowe
TE - Jason Whitten
K - Nate Keading
Def - Jets

Bench
QB Matt Schaub
RB Marshawn Lynch
WR Santana Moss
WR AJ Green
WR Plaxico Buress
TE Greg Olsen
K Garrett Hartley

Pestilence
08-16-2011, 02:26 PM
You'll be lucky to win 2 games with that squad. /sarcasm

Sam Hall
08-16-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't like Chris Johnson's supporting cast, but I love his schedule.

doomy3
08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Since I don't want to start a new thread, had my draft last night - 8 team standard ESPN ran league.

QB - Peyton Manning
RB- Adrian Peterson
RB - Matt Forte
RB/WR - Cedric Benson
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
WR - Dwayne Bowe
TE - Jason Whitten
K - Nate Keading
Def - Jets

Bench
QB Matt Schaub
RB Marshawn Lynch
WR Santana Moss
WR AJ Green
WR Plaxico Buress
TE Greg Olsen
K Garrett Hartley

I cant' understand why anyone would play in an 8 team league.

Pestilence
08-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I cant' understand why anyone would play in an 8 team league.

Because it's more competitive and takes more strategy. / Sam Hall

doomy3
08-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Not a chance.

Sam Hall
08-17-2011, 05:39 PM

That's not exactly what I said, but I realize this is a message board, so whatever. I think it takes about the same amount of strategy. There's more talent available later in an 8-team draft, but there are more busts on the board. It's also easier to start the wrong players because you have more options.

Sam Hall
08-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Instead of spouting off with inaccurate perceptions, I suggest some of you try playing in a smaller league. I've played in 6-, 8- and 12-team leagues. My draft strategy was always the same. I knew I didn't have to score as many points in the 12-team league. Some of the games were boring and/or frustrating. That's not a fun way to play fantasy football.