PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Warner Bros prepping multi-film adaptation of King's The Stand

keg in kc
08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
To be brought to you by the Harry Potter team of Steve Kloves and David Yates. So says Drew McWeeny of hitfix (http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/exclusive-potter-masterminds-steve-kloves-and-david-yates-reunite-for-the-stand)Warner Bros. is in the process of finalizing the deals for David Yates and Steve Kloves to re-team for a multi-movie version of Stephen King's epic "The Stand."

Word is that the deals are now coming together quickly, and that this is a priority project for the studio and for Vertigo Pictures, which will produce. Interesting.

Pestilence
08-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm intrigued.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Nothing can ever top the Definitive Rob Lowe version

Demonpenz
08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
STEVEN WRIGHT VERSION

KcMizzou
08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
If they do it right... and if it ever actually happens... it could be badass.

I want to see "The Long Walk".

morphius
08-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Loved the book, can't say that I care to see a remake of the movie.

Brainiac
08-10-2011, 10:25 PM
The miniseries went into fail mode when they cast some skinny guy as Harold Lauder. That was just wrong.

|Zach|
08-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Awesome.

Frazod
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM

I actually watched that a few weeks ago off Netflix. I thought they did a pretty damned good job, especially for TV.

However, if done correctly, over at least two parts, with modern CGI this could be really interesting.

Brock
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I actually watched that a few weeks ago off Netflix. I thought they did a pretty damned good job, especially for TV.

However, if done correctly, over at least two parts, with modern CGI this could be really interesting.

It wasn't awful, for a 90s tv show.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2011, 11:07 PM

It was ok for the time. I remember it being pretty popular when it first aired.

BigMeatballDave
08-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Ugh... The original tv movie was excruciating.

Third Eye
08-11-2011, 01:01 AM

I loved the Blue Oyster Cult intro.

BigMeatballDave
08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Anyone ever see the huge shitbag remake of The Shining?

beach tribe
08-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Been waiting a long time for this. Liked the first one. Always thought it could be better though.

oaklandhater
08-11-2011, 08:54 AM

The Lead actor from Wings killed that movie.

Red Brooklyn
08-11-2011, 09:48 AM
This has huge potential. I'm all in.

Frazod
08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I loved the Blue Oyster Cult intro.

Hell yes. What a perfect song - they did a great job with that.

Frazod
08-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Yeah, it was not good. More coherent that Kubrick's, but it did not work. At all. Pretty big step down from Nicholson to Steven Weber.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah, it was not good. More coherent that Kubrick's, but it did not work. At all. Pretty big step down from Nicholson to Steven Weber.

It a had a few decent creepy parts, but yea....for the most part was no match for Kubricks version. King has stated he hated Kubricks version and thats why he chose to remake that.

Red Brooklyn
08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
It a had a few decent creepy parts, but yea....for the most part was no match for Kubricks version. King has stated he hated Kubricks version and thats why he chose to remake that.
Sure. Kubricks wasn't exactly faithful to the book. I actually like Kubrick's movie better than the original novel, so I have no desire to ever see another version of The Shining. But I get why King wanted a different version, one more closely resembling his own vision. Too bad the TV version wasn't better. I'd like King to have a version that he's happy with, and that is, you know, good.

Frazod
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM

He sure wasted a lot of peoples' time to drive home a point only he cared about.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Well, we all know how good of a director King is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091499/

Red Brooklyn
08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Did not know King directed that.

Dartgod
08-11-2011, 12:38 PM
M-O-O-N, that spells remake.

Baby Lee
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
M-O-O-N, that spells remake.

Dawberiffic!!!

notorious
08-12-2011, 08:25 AM
I want to see "The Long Walk".

Repost.

:)

The Stand is the single greatest novel ever written. All of the versions kick ass.

Frazod
08-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Repost.

The Stand is the single greatest novel ever written. All of the versions kick ass.

You seem to have confused The Stand with Dune.

Swanman
08-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I wonder if someone would pick up "It" to do a multi-movie remake. For the life of me, I can't understand why King was fixated on his books being made into broadcast tv miniseries. You are so hamstrung with the material that it becomes ridiculous.

I want to see "Cell" made into a movie. I thought King had a genius take on the zombie genre in that book.

Red Brooklyn
08-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I wonder if someone would pick up "It" to do a multi-movie remake. For the life of me, I can't understand why King was fixated on his books being made into broadcast tv miniseries. You are so hamstrung with the material that it becomes ridiculous.

I want to see "Cell" made into a movie. I thought King had a genius take on the zombie genre in that book.
Not sure King is as fixated with that as producers are. His books are massive, and it's less risky, cheaper and easier to do them as a mini series.

vailpass
08-12-2011, 11:40 AM

LMAO How a good story can go so bad is beyond me.

vailpass
08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Repost.

Hope they include the Jim Morrison scene in the movie. And The Kid. You believe that happy crappy?

Bump
08-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I hope Shia Lebouf is the guy that goes "M.O.O.N. that spells moon" throughout the whole film.

Deberg_1990
10-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Looks like Warner has tapped Ben Affleck to direct. Interesting choice.....Hes a solid director. Loved Gone Baby Gone and The Town.

BTW, i watched part of the TV miniseries from 1994 the other day. Awful and cheesy.....hasnt aged well at all.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/ben-affleck-warner-bros-choice-to-make-the-stand/

Warner Bros has chosen Ben Affleck to adapt and direct The Stand, Stephen King’s apocalyptic mammoth book. Affleck has become a cornerstone director for the studio, but this would be his greatest challenge yet. Even King has been reticent about the idea of making a feature of his book, which previously was turned into a miniseries. With The Town and Gone Baby Gone, Affleck has shown the grit necessary to handle such an unforgettable tale. It’s early days, but the studio loves Affleck, who’s now directing Argo.

KcMizzou
10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Wow, that's... interesting.

Rooting for it to kick ass.

Bowser
10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Loved the book, hated the miniseries. Hopefully this is good. Somehow, I haven't seen either of Affleck's flicks yet (although The Town is waiting patiently on the DVR), so would this be his first shot at a fantasy based story?

KcMizzou
10-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Loved the book, hated the miniseries. Hopefully this is good. Somehow, I haven't seen either of Affleck's flicks yet (although The Town is waiting patiently on the DVR), so would this be his first shot at a fantasy based story?Yes.

And check them out.

salame
10-21-2011, 10:33 PM

terrible

Nzoner
10-21-2011, 11:47 PM

Sure. Kubricks wasn't exactly faithful to the book. I actually like Kubrick's movie better than the original novel, so I have no desire to ever see another version of The Shining. But I get why King wanted a different version, one more closely resembling his own vision. Too bad the TV version wasn't better. I'd like King to have a version that he's happy with, and that is, you know, good.

Seeing that I read the book first I like the mini-series BECAUSE it was King's vision.I also like Kubrick's very much and long ago decided that each movie stood on its own and I would enjoy both for what they were.

Now if someone would just make Salem's Lot like King wrote it it'd be great because the others sucked(no pun intended).