PDA

View Full Version : Life San Diego Zoo, Zoos, Wait, What?

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
So I've heard very cool things about the San Diego Zoo when I was younger, but nothing specific. My family (2 boys and Mrs. Amnorix) will be going to SD soon, and now I find there are two zoos. Both seem cool. One is a safari type, while the other seems like a very large zoo wtih a very large variety of animals, including pandas, which are only at four zoos in the US I guess.

I'm assuming the one we want to do here is the Safari. I doubt we're up for two zoos in one week. We've been to other, "regular" zoos before, including the Philadelphia Zoo, and will probably hit National (DC) in the next year or two, so the Safari sounds much different from a normal zoo experience.

But if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Pants
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I went to the one with the Pandas some years ago. That place was awesome and sprawling. Absolutely huge.

SuperChief
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Just went to the SD Zoo for the first time a month or so back. It was amazing. Loved it. Your kids will love it too. Never made it to the Safari version, but I hear equally good things about that, as well. I would really recommend the regular zoo, though. Terrific.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Someone told me It's all happening at the zoo. I do believe
it, I do believe it's true.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 12:00 PM
The Safari thing is called the San Diego Wild Animal Park and it can be very hit or miss. There is no guarantee that you'll see exactly what you came to see. Depends on if the animals feel like coming out or not.

I'd recommend the Zoo. Most of the animals are out and about and sometimes you'll catch some wild cats or Big ass carnivore birds munching on a meal, which is very cool. Last time a went i was about a few feet away from a Harpy eagle munching on some sort of little critter. Looked like a Rabbit.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, and the Zoo is close to Downtown SD. Like 5 minutes close. While the Wild Animal Park is way out in the north east of SD County where there is much less to do. You have 3 large shopping malls, movie theaters, the beach, harbor with boat rides (if you wanna go Whale watching) etc all within 5-15 minutes of the zoo...wild animal park not so much.

ChiefGator
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Someone told me It's all happening at the zoo. I do believe
it, I do believe it's true.

I thought this was a reference to the Tom Paxton song at first.

Donger
08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Amno, if you are thinking about going to Legoland, don't.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
First in with the "Anti-Zoo, why do you support cruelty to animals, and animals in their un-natural habit?" post....

thecoffeeguy
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Zoo is a lot of fun. I have an annual pass to the zoo and wild animal park and go pretty regularly.

The zoo has a lot of things to do, like a bus tour, skyfari ride, food is decent and pretty fun atmosphere.

The wild animal park, is farther out (35 mins north of the zoo), much larger park. You do A LOT of walking, up to 5 miles if you do the whole Kilimanjaro trail. They have a 'bus ride' where you get to get pretty close to some of the animals. Pretty cool.

They also added a few other wrinkles to the park.
They now have a zip line that you can ride. Its about 3/4 of a mile long ride. Never done it, but looks neat.

The Wild Animal park is definitely less crowded than the zoo. The zoo can be crazy at times.

If you can do both, that is great. If you had to do one, I would say the zoo.

HTH.

TCG

ChiefGator
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Zoo smell like poo

Mojo Jojo
08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
GO to the Zoo...It's located in Balboa Park. Well worth the day you spend there...just amazing.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Amno, if you are thinking about going to Legoland, don't.

errr....why not? I have 10 and 7 year old boys, so it's pretty much top of the list until they have alligators roaming around eating small children....

Donger
08-11-2011, 01:10 PM
errr....why not? I have 10 and 7 year old boys, so it's pretty much top of the list until they have alligators roaming around eating small children....

The rides are crap. My son is a LEGO nut, and he was bored to tears. It's geared much more for 4 to 5 year olds, IMO.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
So I've heard very cool things about the San Diego Zoo when I was younger, but nothing specific. My family (2 boys and Mrs. Amnorix) will be going to SD soon, and now I find there are two zoos. Both seem cool. One is a safari type, while the other seems like a very large zoo wtih a very large variety of animals, including pandas, which are only at four zoos in the US I guess.

I'm assuming the one we want to do here is the Safari. I doubt we're up for two zoos in one week. We've been to other, "regular" zoos before, including the Philadelphia Zoo, and will probably hit National (DC) in the next year or two, so the Safari sounds much different from a normal zoo experience.

But if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

I did both but I enjoyed the wildlife park more.

If you have the time and a few bucks to spend, you can actually go inside some of the enclosures on a more intimate jeep-type tour. Consider it a hay ride through zebras.

When we were out there, there were a bunch of elephants of different ages all screwing around and being goofy. As they were playing together, one of them stood up and literally flipped one of the 'babies' off his back. I happened to get a picture of the thing flying through the air with all 4 legs sticking straight up. It hit the ground with a solid enough thud for me to feel it through the dirt. The zookeeper happened to be standing near me when I saw it and asked us to email him the picture.

In all, the zoo was definitely worth the time, but if you can only do 1 of them, I would recommend the wildlife park.

Ebolapox
08-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I've done both. my wife's aunt/uncle lived in sandy eggo five years ago or so, and we visited and did everything san diego--we loved both.

DJ's left nut
08-11-2011, 01:37 PM
This picture is probably pretty massive - but this is what happens when a bigger elephant gets tired of a little elephant walking on top him him:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=106&pictureid=970

Rausch
08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Zoo smell like poo

This...

Ecto-I
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I live just down the street from the Zoo, and it IS awesome. I've never been to the Wild Animal Park but I've heard great things about it too.

From a convenience standpoint, the Zoo is definitely a good bet. Its in the heart of San Diego, and you could make a day of it if you combine it with Balboa Park and the museums in the park.

Alternatively, if you go to the wild animal park, the Stone Brewing company is not too far from there and they do like an hour long tour with complimentary tastings. Although, I suppose your kids would probably be bored during the tour.

SDChiefs
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Id hit up the zoo and sea world. Wild animal park is kinda meh.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I live just down the street from the Zoo, and it IS awesome.

Yeah? What area?

SuperChief
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I'll be living in Chula for a few months, but working in downtown SD. Pretty pumped to get back to see the zoo (among other things) again.

2bikemike
08-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I have had good times at both places. The wild animal park does have the zip line which I have done. It was pretty cool. I don't usually go to any of the San Diego attractions. Only if we are showing someone around.

I haven't been to the Zoo or Sea World in years. The Wild Animal park was last year I think. Never been to Lego Land so I can't comment.

But as others have said if you do the Zoo it is centrally located. Close to many of the things you will want to do. Lego Land and the Wild Animal Park are in the North County, With Lego Land being Coastal and Wild Animal Park about 30 minutes inland.

It sounds like you will have some youngsters with you so maybe the Aquarium at Scripps would be kinda cool too. The kids always seem enamored with the tide pools as well. You can see them at La Jolla cove or below Cabrillo monument. Also in La Jolla tourists all love to see the seals and sea lions laying on the beach at Childrens Pool a little ways from the cove.

JD10367
08-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Wife and I were in SD back during the Pats/Eagles SB (I had to watch it in the hotel room). We hit both SD parks and enjoyed them both for different reasons. The Zoo downtown is a large zoo with tons of different animals; the Wild Animal Park is more like Busch Gardens (not as much animal diversity but the animals have huge roaming plains).

We spent a week in the SD/LA area. Stayed at the Dana at Mission Point (within long walking distance of Sea World) and hit Sea World for two days, plus the Zoo, and ate breakfast at the Big Kitchen (hole in the wall featured on Food Network once). Then we left SD and stopped at the Wild Animal Park for the day, then continued north to Anaheim by nightfall. Then stayed outside Disneyland and did that for two days.

Excellent trip, although we still left a lot out (Gaslamp... or is it Gaslight... District in SD, Universal in Anaheim, etc.,.).

SuperChief
08-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Wife and I were in SD back during the Pats/Eagles SB (I had to watch it in the hotel room). We hit both SD parks and enjoyed them both for different reasons. The Zoo downtown is a large zoo with tons of different animals; the Wild Animal Park is more like Busch Gardens (not as much animal diversity but the animals have huge roaming plains).

We spent a week in the SD/LA area. Stayed at the Dana at Mission Point (within long walking distance of Sea World) and hit Sea World for two days, plus the Zoo, and ate breakfast at the Big Kitchen (hole in the wall featured on Food Network once). Then we left SD and stopped at the Wild Animal Park for the day, then continued north to Anaheim by nightfall. Then stayed outside Disneyland and did that for two days.

Excellent trip, although we still left a lot out (Gaslamp... or is it Gaslight... District in SD, Universal in Anaheim, etc.,.).

Gaslamp . . . it's neat as hell. If you ever make it back down that way, you'll have to check it out.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
It sounds like you will have some youngsters with you so maybe the Aquarium at Scripps would be kinda cool too. The kids always seem enamored with the tide pools as well. You can see them at La Jolla cove or below Cabrillo monument. Also in La Jolla tourists all love to see the seals and sea lions laying on the beach at Childrens Pool a little ways from the cove.

That a good point. Birch Aquarium would be a really cool place to take the kids and it's cheap too.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
We have a nice Aquarium in Boston and, frankly, I'm bored to death of it.

Anyone else have similar feedback on Legoland as Donger? I'm pretty bummed about it. I didn't think it was quite that kiddy-focused.

We plan to hit the Midway Aircraft Carrier, Legoland (?), at least one zoo (TripAdvisor is also all over the map on the safari one -- some LOVE it, some HATE it), and Balboa Park.

Anything else at the top of your list. My wife and I don't drink and have young kids, so forget bars, and all the usual CP entertainment. :D

Sea World could make the list. We didn't hit the one in Orlando when we were there a couple years ago.

JD10367
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
We plan to hit the Midway Aircraft Carrier, Legoland (?), at least one zoo (TripAdvisor is also all over the map on the safari one -- some LOVE it, some HATE it), and Balboa Park.

IIRC Balboa Park is just a big square of land with a golf course, some outdoor pavilions, and mostly the Zoo.

Bottom line: if you're staying in SD proper, you might as well just go to the Zoo. The Wild Animal Park is around 30ish miles to the north. If you've been to Busch Gardens in Florida, you've pretty much seen the same stuff as the Wild Animal Park. If, on the other hand, like my wife and I did, you're planning on driving north anyway, then stop there for half a day.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
We have a nice Aquarium in Boston and, frankly, I'm bored to death of it.

Anyone else have similar feedback on Legoland as Donger? I'm pretty bummed about it. I didn't think it was quite that kiddy-focused.

Anything else at the top of your list. My wife and I don't drink and have young kids, so forget bars, and all the usual CP entertainment. :D

Sea World could make the list. We didn't hit the one in Orlando when we were there a couple years ago.

I've never been to Legoland but I've never heard anything good about it either. They practically give tickets away for that place so if you wanna go, I'm sure you can score tickets for cheap if you look around.

I know when it was first built people were really excited....since then it's taken a backseat to basically everything else in SD.

Not sure what you're looking to do, but I've mentioned Whale Watching, which is fairly cheap IIRC and even if you don't run into whales, you'll almost certainly run into Dolphins since as they typically gather and swim around the boat and put on a show. There are also good places for camping out here if that's something you're interested in.....

Seaworld is cool and of course there's the beaches.

You can go to Hillcrest and see the Gay men Holding hands, lol.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 03:07 PM
IIRC Balboa Park is just a big square of land with a golf course, some outdoor pavilions, and mostly the Zoo.

Nah.

Balboa Park is filled with Museums, some are VERY good.

You can waste several hours at Balboa Park, which is a great idea btw.

Your Kids will LOVE the Rueben H. Fleet Science Museum. All kinds of cool hands on science exhibits for the kids to play with as well as a REAL imax theater.

If you've never been to a REAL Imax, I highly recommend it. It's an incredible experience whether it be a special on the ocean or the universe it's breathtaking....you feel like you're actually there.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
http://www.rhfleet.org/visit.html

I can't really explain how cool the theater is, it's just one of those things you have to check out, and since you'll be right next to it already....

Bewbies
08-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I can't imagine going to Sandy Eggo and not going to La Jolla. Absolutely beautiful, and you (sort of) get to swim with seals.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I can't imagine going to Sandy Eggo and not going to La Jolla. Absolutely beautiful, and you (sort of) get to swim with seals.

Thanks for the tip!

sd4chiefs
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Because Wild Animal park is inland it can be really hot in September and October. October is fire storm month.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I am a history buff, while my wife likes old architecture -- whether it's mansions in Newport Rhode Island to the houses of former presidents, to Fort Ticonderoga.

It doesn't necessarily have to be OLD, but are there any similar types of interesting historic sites/buildings? I'm thinking probably not so much, and I'm not fussed about it. Going to see the Midway is sufficient for me, but I'd hate to come back and hear about something neat that we missed. If I were a betting man, this is my only trip to SD. It's a big world and I havent' seen nearly enough of it.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Because Wild Animal park is inland it can be really hot in September and October. October is fire storm month.

We're going sooner than that. Weather forecast seems to be in the mid 70s for next week. Seems surprisingly low. Is that typical?

SDChiefs
08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
http://www.rhfleet.org/visit.html

I can't really explain how cool the theater is, it's just one of those things you have to check out, and since you'll be right next to it already....

This. Went on a field trip when I was younger and absolutely loved it.

SDChiefs
08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
We're going sooner than that. Weather forecast seems to be in the mid 70s for next week. Seems surprisingly low. Is that typical?

For coastal san diego, yes. Where the wild animal park is, no.

Buck
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I vote for the San Diego Zoo over the Wild Animal Park.

It's not called "The World Famous San Diego Zoo" for no reason.

The Wild Animal Park is really boring, IMO.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 03:34 PM
For coastal san diego, yes. Where the wild animal park is, no.

The animal park -- some TripAdvisor folks are complaining that it's miles of walking, but there's talk of some kind of option to rent a car, or ride a bus, or...?

I'm leaning zoo based on the feedback here, but we've done zoos, and if I can spend a little more to get a really memorable experience at the wild animal park, I'm up for it.

But five miles of walking under the baking sun is NOT interesting to me in the slightest, so if that's what it's going to be, it's definitely out.

Buck
08-11-2011, 03:38 PM
The animal park -- some TripAdvisor folks are complaining that it's miles of walking, but there's talk of some kind of option to rent a car, or ride a bus, or...?

I'm leaning zoo based on the feedback here, but we've done zoos, and if I can spend a little more to get a really memorable experience at the wild animal park, I'm up for it.

But five miles of walking under the baking sun is NOT interesting to me in the slightest, so if that's what it's going to be, it's definitely out.

Also the tram ride is like an hour long and if you have to piss or shit, you are fucked, also if your kids are scared of heights, I wouldn't do it...

Also sitting in that tram with the sun hitting you sucks.

I'm not going to lie, I've been to both many times for school and pleasure, and I always wonder why the fuck I went to the Wild Animal Park. The zoo is way cooler.

Amnorix
I vote for the San Diego Zoo over the Wild Animal Park.

It's not called "The World Famous San Diego Zoo" for no reason.

The Wild Animal Park is really boring, IMO.

Right, well, the meter is definitely starting to get pegged on the "regular" zoo (though I realize it's much bigger than the norm).

Detoxing
I am a history buff, while my wife likes old architecture -- whether it's mansions in Newport Rhode Island to the houses of former presidents, to Fort Ticonderoga.

Balboa Park My friend. If she's into architecture, she'll love it.

You'll find a lot to look at in Balboa Park. And you if you don't take your kids to the Science center Ima kick your ass, ok? It's a freaking playground in there and kids love it...and it's a 5 minute walk from the zoo.

They might also like the Natural history museum. There are some pretty cool Dino-Skeletons etc in there.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 03:40 PM

It's hit or miss, man. It could be a good experience or it could suck. Depends on how the animals feel and how the weather is. That general area gets really hot though.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
It's hit or miss, man. It could be a good experience or it could suck. Depends on how the animals feel and how the weather is. That general area gets really hot though.

Fine, done, it's out.

Frankly, the list of cool things in SD is very long.

Balboa Park is rocketing into must-do land. Got it. Sounds like we'll be in that area for other stuff anyway over more than one day.

Earthling
When my daughter was about 11 we went to Sea World and Balboa Zoo and had a great family day at both places. Getting out of Sea World parking lot afterwards was a nightmare; they had parking attendants getting cars into the lot but it was a free for all exiting afterwards, so try to leave before it actually closes if you do go there. Oh and have a good trip. :thumb:

SDChiefs
Right, well, the meter is definitely starting to get pegged on the "regular" zoo (though I realize it's much bigger than the norm).

Never been to a zoo like this one. The animals aren't in cages. They built terrain, hills and rivers and such, into their environment to mimic their natual habitat.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Never been to a zoo like this one. The animals aren't in cages. They built terrain, hills and rivers and such, into their environment to mimic their natual habitat.

Ah, cool. I did read somewhere that there is only one building housing animals, which is far fewer than normal. Think it's smaller reptiles or whatever.

We'll give it a shot.

SuperChief
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I second the La Jolla chatter. Really a picturesque place with some great views of the ocean and seals that the kids will think is pretty cool. If you're hitting the beach (and I'm sure you are), you have to check out Coronado Beach - the fiance and I loved it. Very laid back, not as touristy or filled with muscled-out thugs. I would say it's more family-friendly. BEAUTIFUL beach.

Ecto-I
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah? What area?

I live on the east edge of Hillcrest (and NO I'm not gay - NTTAWWT) :p

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I live on the east edge of Hillcrest

WHOA......

I could never live in Hillcrest even though the Gays keep the area nice......I'm too beautiful of a man....the Gays can't keep their eyes off me and it's fucking uncomfortable.

Ecto-I
08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
WHOA......

I could never live in Hillcrest even though the Gays keep the area nice......I'm too beautiful of a man....the Gays can't keep their eyes off me and it's ****ing uncomfortable.

Oh I've been hit on several times. It becomes so routine that I start feeling ugly and insecure on days when I'm walking down the street and no one cat calls or at least eye f***s me.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I second the La Jolla chatter. Really a picturesque place with some great views of the ocean and seals that the kids will think is pretty cool. If you're hitting the beach (and I'm sure you are), you have to check out Coronado Beach - the fiance and I loved it. Very laid back, not as touristy or filled with muscled-out thugs. I would say it's more family-friendly. BEAUTIFUL beach.

So I'm actually staying in Carlsbad. Advice of a friend, so whatever. I don't mind driving into SD all the time if I must so I'm not worried about it.

I plan to hit at least one beach for actual swimming, at least for a half day. Was thinking they'd be more in the Carlsbad area, but I'm fine with travelling to one.

So help a CPer out here -- which ones are for "sightseeing" and which ones are for actually swimming?

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Sounds like we'll be in that area for other stuff anyway over more than one day.

They are literally right next to each other. When I use to do stuff like that I'd hit up the zoo first thing in the morning and see as much as I can before the sun starts peaking.

So you know ahead of time, the Zoo is VERY big and you'll be doing a ton of walking. It's comparable to the size of an amusement park so make sure you guys are ready for that. That's why i recommend getting in early. Then once you're done with that you can stroll over to Balboa and check out the cool stuff in a nice AC controlled environment.

BTW, Museum of Man is also very cool. They also have an art & Photography Museum and they use to have a Torture museum there, not sure if it's been replaced yet or not. Displayed all those crazy Midevil torture devices and what not.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:16 PM
So I'm actually staying in Carlsbad. Advice of a friend, so whatever. I don't mind driving into SD all the time if I must so I'm not worried about it.

I plan to hit at least one beach for actual swimming, at least for a half day. Was thinking they'd be more in the Carlsbad area, but I'm fine with travelling to one.

So help a CPer out here -- which ones are for "sightseeing" and which ones are for actually swimming?

Oceanside's beach which is the next beach town north of you is constantly packed with hotties. But that beach defines crowded. It's a military town so the weekends are ridiculous.

Carlsbad is a great town, but the beaches are full of rocks which sucks, but it's not nearly as crowded as Oceanside and others.

La Jolla and Del Mar are "Upscale" communities and attract less of a party crowd then that of Pacific Beach or Mission Beach, which are packed with fine ass women.

SDChiefs
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM

I like Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. Plus they are just south of La Jolla for the shops and scenery.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
So...seriously, $260 to go to Legoland for a day? Waterpark Hopper would make it a cool $300.

http://california.legoland.com/en/tickets/admission_tickets/

I'm from Boston, which isn't quite New York, but is still really damn high cost of living, and that is ridiculous. WTF?

Six Flags New England is $47 general admission, and I can go into any damn store within 50 miles and get a coupon for $10 or whatever.

Any insider tricks here, because, no, seriously, that's ridiculous.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:19 PM
So...seriously, $260 to go to Legoland for a day? Waterpark Hopper would make it a cool $300.

I'm from Boston, which isn't quite New York, but is still really damn high cost of living, and that is ridiculous. WTF?

Six Flags New England is $47 general admission, and I can go into any damn store within 50 miles and get a coupon for $10 or whatever.

I doubt anyone but outsiders pay that for Legoland. Check craigslist. I wouldn't pay more than 30 bucks a ticket.

Donger
08-11-2011, 04:20 PM

We always stay in Carlsbad, too. We usually do a day on Coronado, but spend the other beach days a few miles north of Palomar Airport Road.

One thing about Coronado Beach: there will be a pretty steady stream of jets and helos going over your heads to and from the base on the island. If that's not a big deal, just park near the famous Hotel del Coronado.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:20 PM
La Jolla and Del Mar are "Upscale" communities and attract less of a party crowd then that of Pacific Beach or Mission Beach, which are packed with fine ass women.

I like Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. Plus they are just south of La Jolla for the shops and scenery.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:21 PM

First CL search:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tix/2542118438.html

Or check here:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=8&subAreaID=&query=Legoland&catAbb=sss

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I doubt anyone but outsiders pay that for Legoland. Check craigslist. I wouldn't pay more than 30 bucks a ticket.

Craigslist? Really? Never bought anything off Craigslist. Why would amusement park tickets be available on Craigslist?

Donger
08-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I think we paid close to that. AND, they really hard sell you on getting pictures taken and other annoying stuff. There was this really cool LEGO resort thing out near the entrance which we stopped at. It turns out that it was a LEGO of some damn timeshare thing. My wife politely listened to the sales pitch for about ten minutes longer than I did.

Oh, and the lines were worse than Disneyland, and we went on a Thursday, IIRC.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:24 PM
We always stay in Carlsbad, too. We usually do a day on Coronado, but spend the other beach days a few miles north of Palomar Airport Road.

One thing about Coronado Beach: there will be a pretty steady stream of jets and helos going over your heads to and from the base on the island. If that's not a big deal, just park near the famous Hotel del Coronado.

But now I'm torn -- I've got beaches with smoking hot women and you're not listing those...?

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I think we paid close to that. AND, they really hard sell you on getting pictures taken and other annoying stuff. There was this really cool LEGO resort thing out near the entrance which we stopped at. It turns out that it was a LEGO of some damn timeshare thing. My wife politely listened to the sales pitch for about ten minutes longer than I did.

Oh, and the lines were worse than Disneyland, and we went on a Thursday, IIRC.

I can see why you hated it...

Donger
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM
But now I'm torn -- I've got beaches with smoking hot women and you're not listing those...?

No, but my wife certainly noticed the SEALS running by with their shirts off.

Fuckers.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Craigslist? Really? Never bought anything off Craigslist. Why would amusement park tickets be available on Craigslist?

Typically what these places do is buy annual passes and basically "rent" them out you. There are actual business built for this sole purpose. You visit their office and sign your agreement to return them, they hand you annual passes, you wave your pass and return them to a drop off box when you're done.

It's how I do it when I go to Disney land. Usually only 50 bucks a pop, saves a shit load of money.

SDChiefs
08-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Skip Legoland, its the biggest rip off of a themepark out there. Wanna do for your kids, Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland would be much better choices and theyre only a half hour to 40 mins north of where youre gonna be.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
No, but my wife certainly noticed the SEALS running by with their shirts off.

Fuckers.

So...wait....I've got these other guys telling me about beaches with sweet chiquitas and you're recommended a beach with topless SEALs?

Right....note to self, ignore Donger's beach advice...

:p

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Skip Legoland, its the biggest rip off of a themepark out there. Wanna do for your kids, Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland would be much better choices and theyre only a half hour to 40 mins north of where youre gonna be.

This.

I've heard nothing but disappointments. Unless you find them cheap, then maybe it's worth it. I sure as fuck would not pay $300 bills to go.

Knots Soak City In Chula Vista is a MUCH better idea.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Typically what these places do is buy annual passes and basically "rent" them out you. There are actual business built for this sole purpose. You visit their office and sign your agreement to return them, they hand you annual passes, you wave your pass and return them to a drop off box when you're done.

It's how I do it when I go to Disney land. Usually only 50 bucks a pop, saves a shit load of money.

Thanks.

Hrmm....Disneyland. Wasn't part of my original plan. Thought it was much furhter north of me -- much closer to LA, no?

Telling the kids no Legoland might be tough, but if I can switch it to Disneyland, that might work...

I thought SD and LA were like 2+ hrs apart. Have I got that really wrong?

What's the consensus -- everyone think Disneyland is better than LegoLand?

Donger
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Forty minutes from Carlsbad to Anaheim? In a car?

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks.

Hrmm....Disneyland. Wasn't part of my original plan. Thought it was much furhter north of me -- much closer to LA, no?

Telling the kids no Legoland might be tough, but if I can switch it to Disneyland, that might work...

Disneyland is great. It's in Anaheim, which isn't as far as L.A, it's about an Hour to 1.5 hours from you.

Detoxing

Probably not that fast, but an hour on a good day, 1.5 hours in traffic.

Donger
Thanks.

Yes, no contest it is better. But, I wouldn't think that you would want do it in a day from/to Carlsbad.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Disneyland is great. It's in Anaheim, which isn't as far as L.A, it's about an Hour to 1.5 hours from you.

I can do 1-1.5 if it's definitely alot better.

My kids are well trained when it comes to car rides. "We get there when we get there, and if you ask again, I'll tie you to the roof rack while the rest of us party in Disneyland and you get to talk to your therapist about it in 25 years..."

:D

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes, no contest it is better. But, I wouldn't think that you would want do it in a day from/to Carlsbad.

Six Flags is 2+ and I've done that in a day. Done hiking in the White Mountains (2+ each way) in a day. If it's DEFINITELY much better, we'll suck it up and get 'er done.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Meh, why not? I've done it several times. It takes a full day of course, but it's well worth it. the drive isn't that bad. Especially since he's already starting in Carlsbad.

Leave at 8ish, get there around 9:30-10, enjoy a long, fun day, stay for the fireworks and home by 10.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Thanks again!!

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Wait, so Craigslist apply to eveyrthing out there? SD Zoo?

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Meh, why not? I've done it several times. It takes a full day of course, but it's well worth it. the drive isn't that bad. Especially since he's already starting in Carlsbad.

Leave at 8ish, get there around 9:30-10, enjoy a long, fun day, stay for the fireworks and home by 10.

I see we both plan the same way. ;)

Donger
08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Six Flags is 2+ and I've done that in a day. Done hiking in the White Mountains (2+ each way) in a day. If it's DEFINITELY much better, we'll suck it up and get 'er done.

It's not even close, Amno. You'll need a good 8-10 hours at the park, IMO.

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:39 PM

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tix/2541957911.html

Detoxing
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM

If I can find the number of the agency I use, i'll PM it you.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
It's not even close, Amno. You'll need a good 8-10 hours at the park, IMO.

err...think you misunderstood my post. By 2+ I meant the drives, each way. Six Flags is a full day park also.

And hiking in the White Mountains is at least a 4 hour jaunt, and pretty tiring.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:41 PM
If I can find the number of the agency I use, i'll PM it you.

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Donger
08-11-2011, 04:46 PM
err...think you misunderstood my post. By 2+ I meant the drives, each way. Six Flags is a full day park also.

And hiking in the White Mountains is at least a 4 hour jaunt, and pretty tiring.

"Not even close meaning" LEGOland sucks monkey balls compared to Disneyland.

sd4chiefs
08-11-2011, 04:48 PM
They have the Del Mar races that start at 4:00pm on Fridays so traffic can be a real bitch starting arond 2:30pm on I-5. So make plans around that.

Amnorix
08-11-2011, 04:48 PM
"Not even close meaning" LEGOland sucks monkey balls compared to Disneyland.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL Apparently I was the one who misunderstood.

Isn't Legoland big? I was figuring a full day, but it's starting to sound too much like that little kiddie park in North Conway New Hampshire that my kids have outgrown, except 5x the price...

Donger
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL Apparently I was the one who misunderstood.

Isn't Legoland big? I was figuring a full day, but it's starting to sound too much like that little kiddie park in North Conway New Hampshire that my kids have outgrown, except 5x the price...

It's a decent size, but we easily did the whole thing in about six hours. We took two full days to do all of Disneyland.

Amnorix
08-13-2011, 09:47 PM
So -- Craigslist. Any tips on knowing whether these offers are legit? My plan is to pick them up in person, but God forbid I get sold fake tickets or some damn thing.

I've never done Craigslist in my life for anything, so I'm a total rookie at this. Thoughts?

If it helps, I'm thinking of these for Sea World, which work out to be half teh price of regular admission: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tix/2545541699.html

2bikemike
08-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Thanks.

Disneyland is about 60 Miles north of Carlsbad. Depending on traffic you are looking at minimum about an hour. I have seen it take considerably longer. You can use the car pool lanes. Knotts Berry Farm and Universal Studios are in that same vicinity.

I would definately go that route versus Legoland.

KurtCobain
08-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Lego land sounds dangerous.

SDChiefs
08-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Thanks.

Disneys in anaheim about half the distance between carlsbad and la.

SDChiefs
08-14-2011, 02:40 AM

Easily. Hour with traffic and the checkpoint running.

SDChiefs
08-14-2011, 02:44 AM

It has never taking me more than 45 minutes to get from vista to lake forrest and that was my route every day. Anaheim is just past lake forrest.

griZZly64
08-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I suggest going to both. Wild Animal Park is one of a kind. You go on this tram around what looks like a chunk of Africa that was helicoptered into the place with animals just living like they would in the wild. If you're a high roller you can take a jeep onto the land and get up close with the animals.

griZZly64
08-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Disneyland > Legoland..