PDA

View Full Version : Economics Tea Party activists: Bring on defense cuts

KILLER_CLOWN
08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Tea Party activists: Bring on defense cuts
By Cristina Marcos - 08/10/11 05:57 PM ET

Tea Party activists say the Pentagon should be targeted for cuts by the “supercommittee” created in the debt-ceiling deal.

Groups affiliated with the conservative grassroots movement say defense cuts should be on the table as the supercommittee tries to compile at least $1.5 trillion in deficit cuts.

The pressure from Tea Party groups could put pressure on establishment Republicans named to the supercommittee, who may wish to protect the Pentagon from severe cuts.

“Nothing should be sacred, and everything needs to be evaluated and cut as much as it can be,” said Jenny Beth Martin, co-founder of Tea Party Patriots.

Tea Party activists say defense programs should come under the same knife as any other taxpayer-funded programs, and that massive national security budgets were not exempt from their definition of “big government.”

“The liberty movement is about the fundamental limitation of government, and that doesn’t have departmental boundaries with regards to this principle,” said Chris Littleton, co-founder of the Ohio Liberty Council.

No defense hawks have been appointed to the committee yet, with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) yet to announce her picks.

The most notable defense hawk passed over for a spot on the panel is House Armed Services Committee Chairman Buck McKeon (R-Calif.), who had called for a strong defense voice on the committee. Instead, the Republican picks have all vowed to oppose any tax increases, suggesting that the party leadership has placed higher priority on preventing tax increases than on avoiding defense cuts.

That’s not to say the defense industry doesn’t have friends on the panel.

Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairwoman Patty Murray (D-Wash.), who was one of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) picks, has advocated for Boeing tanker contracts, which brought jobs to her state.

The Pentagon is likely to be hit by further budget cuts no matter what under the deal signed into law by President Obama.

That legislation would impose up to $350 billion in cuts over the next decade on the departments of Defense, State, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs, among others.

The deal also includes “triggers” set off if the supercommittee fails to reach a deal on $1.2 trillion in cuts. The triggers would lead to $500 billion in more cuts over the next decade to agencies charged with defense and homeland security if the supercommittee fails to reach its target. By outlining automatic spending cuts split evenly between defense and domestic programs, the triggers are intended to motivate Republicans and Democrats into brokering a comprehensive agreement.

But defense hawks warn the triggers could lead to severe cuts that would hurt the military at a time when it remains engaged in multiple wars. McKeon has said the proposal threatens to turn “a debt crisis into a national security crisis.”

Democrats had hoped the triggers might convince Republicans on the supercommittee to agree to tax hikes to avoid defense cuts, but Tea Party groups appear to be much more relaxed about the Pentagon cuts than tax increases.

“The compromise isn’t over whether or not to increase taxes,” said Max Pappas, vice president of public policy at FreedomWorks. “The compromise is over where to cut.

“So the left is going to have to compromise and cut some domestic welfare spending, and the right is going to have to compromise and cut some military spending.”

Activists in the Tea Party movement also warn they will take note of any lawmakers in either party who object to spending cuts.

“No member of Congress is safe,” said Amy Kremer, co-chairman of Tea Party Express. “We’re holding everyone accountable.”

more at http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/176393-tea-party-activists-bring-on-defense-cuts

mlyonsd
08-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Amnorix is a closet Tea party member?

go bowe
08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Amnorix is a closet Tea party member?

who do you think you are, anyway?

if you go around outing people, they'll think you're kotter with yet another mult...

craneref
08-12-2011, 09:24 PM
The military has already taken what has ended up being a 40% budget cut over the budget from 2 years ago, add that with the continued reduction in work force and the military is ALREADY makign cuts and have for the last 10 years!! I think it is time to put all the congressional retirement and medial on the table and the Federal Employee Union. With the reduction in prsonnel I routinely work a 12 to 14 hour day and at least one day every weekend. I come in on vacation time to get caught up or because I was called in. Now a genius has decided to only hire 1 civilian for every 2 openings to cut expenses, but that workers job doesn't go away, just the worker does, which leaves tht work to the already over burdened active duty military. Retention has only been helped by the recession and the economy, but as soon as that picks up again, the floodgates will open. than when the military is completely broken, the civilian sector will yell what happened? I am a firm believer in smaller government and less intrusion, but I just wish that America was aware that the Pentagon is ALREADY on the table for cuts and has been for since Reagan left office. I don't do this job to get rich, I am proud to serve my country and have been for nearly 24 years. However there comes a time when we just can't keep adding the work hours to the day and asking the military to salute smartly. The military has stepped up and did its part to cut costs, maybe it is time for the rest of the government to step and do their part?!

kstater
08-13-2011, 10:55 AM
The military has already taken what has ended up being a 40% budget cut over the budget from 2 years ago, add that with the continued reduction in work force and the military is ALREADY makign cuts and have for the last 10 years!! I think it is time to put all the congressional retirement and medial on the table and the Federal Employee Union. With the reduction in prsonnel I routinely work a 12 to 14 hour day and at least one day every weekend. I come in on vacation time to get caught up or because I was called in. Now a genius has decided to only hire 1 civilian for every 2 openings to cut expenses, but that workers job doesn't go away, just the worker does, which leaves tht work to the already over burdened active duty military. Retention has only been helped by the recession and the economy, but as soon as that picks up again, the floodgates will open. than when the military is completely broken, the civilian sector will yell what happened? I am a firm believer in smaller government and less intrusion, but I just wish that America was aware that the Pentagon is ALREADY on the table for cuts and has been for since Reagan left office. I don't do this job to get rich, I am proud to serve my country and have been for nearly 24 years. However there comes a time when we just can't keep adding the work hours to the day and asking the military to salute smartly. The military has stepped up and did its part to cut costs, maybe it is time for the rest of the government to step and do their part?!

Look at all these cuts.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/U.S._Defense_Spending_Trends.png/800px-U.S._Defense_Spending_Trends.png