PDA

View Full Version : Science Radar Detects More Than Rain and Snow

loochy
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I thought this was a cool article. It also made me think of Teedubya.

Radar Detects More Than Rain and Snow
by Chris Dolce, Meteorologist

If you've spent much time watching The Weather Channel, you've probably seen your fair share of radar imagery. We use it to show a wide variety of conditions across the country from rain and thunderstorms to snow, sleet and freezing rain.

However, did you know that this same radar imagery can detect some unusual non-weather features?

For example, in late July the National Weather Service in La Crosse, Wisconsin provided a radar image on their website of hatching insects called mayflies. These insects are not the only thing that radar has the ability to detect.

The following are a collection of radar images showing the mayfly hatch and other unusual features which have been documented by various National Weather Service sources.

Mayfly Hatch - July 29, 2011
The radar displays the hatch in the green and blue shadings in this image from the National Weather Service in La Crosse, Wis. This occurred along the Mississippi River near the Minnesota and Wisconsin border.

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/august/la-crosse-mayfly-080511-600x405.jpg

Wildfire Smoke Plume
This image is from the Hastings, Neb. and Denver/Boulder, Colo. National Weather Offices. Outlined in red is a smoke plume detected by radar from a raging wildfire on September 6, 2010 about 20 miles to the northwest of Boulder, Colo.

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/august/smoke-plume-boulder-080511-595x05.jpg

Texas Bats Interact with a Supercell Thunderstorm
This image is from the Storm Prediction Center courtesy of Roger Edwards. The bats appear as an expanding ring on radar as they emerge from their dwellings during the late afternoon and evening. An example of this is shown on the far right side of the image above. In the middle of the image, more bats are highlighted with an approaching supercell thunderstorm just to left. According to Edwards, the bats were caught in the environment of this thunderstorm and likely went for an unpleasant, perhaps fatal, ride.

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/august/bats-radar-spc-080511-595x405.jpg

Bird Roosting Rings
This image is from the National Weather Service in Milwaukee, Wis. Circled in the white rings you can see ring-shaped radar features in the green and blue shadings. These rings are birds detected by radar, which are emerging all at once from around lake areas just before sunrise to move out into the fields for feeding.

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/august/bird-roosting-080411-595x405.jpg

Energy Wind Farm
This image is from the National Weather Service in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and shows a wind farm detected by radar in the yellow circle. The large, elevated spinning turbines are displayed as a cluster of many different colors (yellow, orange, red) within this circle. According to the National Weather Service, this interference can mask or cause misinterpretation of thunderstorm or winter storm characteristics.

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/august/nws-mke-wind-farm-080911-595x405.jpg

Chaff Releases During Military Excercises in North Florida
This image is from the National Weather Service in Jacksonville, Fla. The arrows pointing to the narrow bands of radar echoes in the blue and green shadings are chaff. Chaff are small pieces of aluminum which are released by military aircraft for self-defense to avoid radar detection.

http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2011/august/chaff-jacksonville-080511-455x446.jpg

Government Weather Control Device to Destroy Communities
This image is from a radar image of Nebraska. The rings of radar echos indicate that the government is attempting to kill us all. They use a device called HAARP, located in Alaska, to create catastrophic natural disasters worldwide. The government used this to create well known events such as the Japan earthquake and tsunami, the Haiti earthquake, and the Joplin tornado.

http://crisisjones.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/haarp_rings_and_scalar_squares_3.png?w=430&h=302

Predarat
08-11-2011, 02:15 PM
When the clouds start making curves and circles, you know the Gubbment dunnit.

SuperChief
08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Interesting stuff. Good find.

Donger
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
However, did you know that this same radar imagery can detect some unusual non-weather features?

Yes, it's pretty good at detecting planes, too.

4th and Long
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Yes, it's pretty good at detecting planes, too.
And disintegrating Space Shuttles.

http://www.eikongraphia.com/wordpress/wp-content/h_shuttle_fireball_02.jpg

http://wbbh.images.worldnow.com/images/15194540_BG2.gif

Dick Bull
08-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah well sonar can detect boats and whales. Radar ain't got nothing.

Dartgod
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Government Weather Control Device to Destroy Communities
This image is from a radar image of Nebraska. The rings of radar echos indicate that the government is attempting to kill us all. They use a device called HAARP, located in Alaska, to create catastrophic natural disasters worldwide. The government used this to create well known events such as the Japan earthquake and tsunami, the Haiti earthquake, and the Joplin tornado.

ROFL

loochy
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeah well gaydar can detect gay dudes. Sonar ain't got nothing.

loochy
08-11-2011, 02:28 PM
ROFL

I'm glad someone read the article carefully. :thumb:

Extra Point
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah well sonar can detect boats and whales. Radar ain't got nothing.

Density is everything, now, ain't it?

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I told this lady at Harpo's Yeah nice rack you got here, and I was talking funny. It could be her tits it could be her boobs, but I ment the giant moose rack. she gave me my diet coke and then the dynamic of the waitress guest relationship changed too. I hope this jerk leaves soon.

4th and Long
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I told this lady at Harpo's Yeah nice rack you got here, and I was talking funny. It could be her tits it could be her boobs, but I ment the giant moose rack. she gave me my diet coke and then the dynamic of the waitress guest relationship changed too. I hope this jerk leaves soon.
So the burning question is, did the waitress give you her phone number or did you and the moose sit down together to enjoy a refreshing diet coke? Which was it? We need to know these things.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Naw not really I just let this one go. She told this gross ass story about how she used to clean tanning beds and the tanning beds were all gross. I was like F-this. I then went over to this other bar and started chatting up this girl. I was trying to be more Keith Stone, less demonpenz, but I started talking wierd amounts of shit like I told this girl with her black and red striped shirt she was a fedora away from being Freddy Krueger

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
There was a time before that there was this lady she was about a 6 or 7 out of 10, I went over to talk to her because I thought she may like Dragons or harry potter, but her friend started chatting me up and I thought she was chewing me out, but I guess she liked me, she had some issues with alcohol obviously because she was holding two shots like with her small arms. She looked like an alcoholic T-Rex. She did give me her number but I quickly deleted them after I left the Y.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Snugga and I then went to get a bacon sandwhich at a sports bar where we watched the royals. I don't remember if they won or lost, but I did notice that Snugga got potato fries, which usually gets him very sleep. I told him to take a nap in the Ford Tempo if he got sluggish, but he seemed to be alright after the potato fries. Just had alittle bit of gas.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Later on I went over to a girl who I thought could be my next girlfriend, but it was obvious that she was malnurished. I offered to give her a bananna but she didn't want it. I am not sure if it was because the bananna was old, but she furrowed her eye brows like Johnny 5 robot in short circuit 2.

penguinz
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
black and red striped shirt she was a fedora away from being Freddy KruegerFreddy's sweater was red and green not red and black.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I am starting to think my old Nokia is hurting my game both with the ladies and my business services. I try to tell the hipsters that it is vintage, but they just laugh, of course I never get the pictures anyone send. so I just send back Haha. One day my mom sent a picture of my uncle who got beat up in a bar fight, I sent back haha, and she was all mad saying that bar fights aren't funny.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Freddy's sweater was red and green not red and black.

sunburnt honey bee.

loochy
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
http://creepyla.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/freddy-dancers1.jpg

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I was starting to think the girl was wierd for liking Hanson, not the hockey players, but the boy band hanson. That was alittle bit disburbing that I will have to compete with those queens, but that is ok.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:55 PM
When those commercials come on late at night with those kids who need money that are starving I always throw my BAD CALL BRICK at the tv and yell GET A JOB. But it is probably hard to get a job at Target when you are covered with flies.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I always noticed people clean off their apple with their shirt, I ususally just clean off my shirt with an apple.

chasedude
08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I've watched the radar around here pick up the wind farm near King City, MO. I live nearly 30 miles away from it and can see the red aircraft warning lights from my house.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I hate it when people get mad about things on facebook. When someone posted a picture of the last supper I just commented "is he eating a lean pocket?"

chasedude
08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I guess If I had read the thread all the way through I would have noticed the thread turned in to 'penz pickup line thread. Apologies for keeping my reply to the actual topic.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I almost got hit by a firebird today. T-Tops you ask? do they make them without? Yeah it was close enough I could here Ratt playing, exept it was his car that was spinning -round and -round

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I always thought Kim fields should have been given more lines.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I always thought it was a bold move for Gary Sinease to cut off his legs for his role in forrest gump

loochy
08-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I guess If I had read the thread all the way through I would have noticed the thread turned in to 'penz pickup line thread. Apologies for keeping my reply to the actual topic.

Hey I was happy that you made an actual on topic reply.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I had an foriegn exchange student hanging with me and listening to the Royals on the radio. He heard "Alex Gordon is on his horse and makes the catch" he has asked me about Gordons damn horse for like 5 days. I don't have the heart to tell him that it is just an expression.

Demonpenz
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I had a picture of St. Joseph pulled up and people kept on asking me if that was the Joplin Tornado damage.

loochy
08-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I had a picture of St. Joseph pulled up and people kept on asking me if that was the Joplin Tornado damage.

ROFL

Now that one was funny.

PGM
08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Well done loochy, well done.

BCD
08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
LMAO