PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Backup quarterbacks don’t step up for KC

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Backup quarterbacks don’t step up for KC (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/12/3073898/backup-quarterbacks-dont-step.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Rookie quarterback Ricky Stanzi received a rousing ovation when he entered Friday night’s preseason game against Tampa Bay in the third quarter.

Too bad he didn’t really hear it.

“It was nice, but at the same time, you’ve got the play coming in on the headset, so you’re hearing a lot of different things at once,” Stanzi said after the 25-0 loss to the Buccaneers. “But it was fun to get out there and get a chance to play.”

Unfortunately for the Chiefs and their fans, neither Stanzi nor Tyler Palko gave the fans much to shout about or took a step forward as the No. 2 quarterback to Matt Cassel.

Both quarterbacks completed four of eight passes for 34 yards. Palko’s best pass came in the second quarter, a 14-yard slant to first-round pick Jonathan Baldwin. He also was snowed under and sacked for a safety in the second quarter.

“It boils down to execution,” Palko said. “We need to execute better.”

Stanzi, a fifth-round pick from Iowa, was sacked four times and Palko twice.

“I saw that they can run for their lives,” Chiefs head coach Todd Haley said of the two quarterbacks. “Both of them have some scrambling ability. That’s an area I feel like we’ve been deficient as far as scrambles, making plays. We didn’t really do it again today, which was disappointing.

“They looked tough, they looked like they competed the whole time. They didn’t give up. Those are good things.”

On his first attempt, Stanzi overthrew Baldwin, and the ball ricocheted off Tampa Bay cornerback Kregg Lumpkin toward Baldwin, who nearly hauled it in.

Stanzi showed some improvisational skill when under pressure, he underhanded a flip to running back Jackie Battle for 8 yards, but it was short of a first down.

The pressure by the Buccaneers forced Stanzi to scramble twice for 12 yards in addition to a scramble in which he was shoved out of bounds, drawing an unnecessary-roughness penalty that was offset by a Chiefs holding penalty.

Coach
08-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Jeez, KC journalists suck so bad....

Of fucking course the back-up qb's can't step up when an abortion of a offensive linemen were getting their shit pushed in repeatedly, it was embarrasing....

RedThat
08-13-2011, 02:00 AM
water is wet

Exoter175
08-13-2011, 02:21 AM
I really need to do a little research into what must be done to get your foot in the door of Sports Journalism.

/shakes head

sportsman1
08-13-2011, 02:39 AM
When Palko did throw he threw like either A) Femme B) A rooster with his head cut off or C) Insert he friggin blows reference here. I am very worried if Cassel goes down. Pick somebody else up. Anybody as a back up qb.. and Battle wasn't too impressive either, nor the o-line nor the secondary.

Chief_in_Commander
08-13-2011, 04:12 AM
I think Stanzi looked good when he had even a second to throw it, the throw to Horne was good downfield etc... Shane Palko looked bad to me, he had more opportunities than Stanzi did as far as time to throw and did less with it imo

Red Beans
08-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I think Stanzi looked good when he had even a second to throw it, the throw to Horne was good downfield etc... Shane Palko looked bad to me, he had more opportunities than Stanzi did as far as time to throw and did less with it imo

I agree. I want to see Stanzi take a few reps with the number 1 O.

bobbything
08-13-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm still not certain why we kept Palko in favor of Croyle.

Bwana
08-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm still not certain why we kept Palko in favor of Croyle.

Perhaps he did a better job of holding a clip board? :hmmm:

Messier
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
I now doubt Palko will be here at the start of the season. If they correctly saw that Croyle couldn't play a lick, they see how Palko looks like he doesn't belong on a practice squad, let alone as a backup. I think we'll have a vet QB here by the start of the season.

TEX
08-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Palko needs to go. He reminds me of Croyle in that he's a spazz. Plus - dude can't see over the line. Stanzi is a rookie and showed way more poise even under duress. Dump Palko and get a vet backup (Croyle for the minimum if need be) and keep Stanzie. Carry 3 QB's.

TEX
08-13-2011, 09:37 AM
water is wet

And fire is hot...

mesmith31
08-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Agreed. He was elusive, he no more than .5 seconds on any given play. He made a good decision on the underhanded pass which almost got a first down, and that throw to Horne on the run was threaded between to guys right on his hands.

Don't know much more that you should expect in his first game. Give him 1.2 seconds and see what happens.

BigChiefFan
08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Palko isn't an NFL QB. We need to move on from that experiment. I've never seen a thing out of him that warrants a roster spot.

ReynardMuldrake
08-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't know what the fuck he's talking about. I thought Stanzi did fine, considering the situation.

Rooster
08-13-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't know what the fuck he's talking about. I thought Stanzi did fine, considering the situation.

I thought he looked fast when the pocket went to shit. I didn't know he had wheels.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Mallett.

TEX
08-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Palko isn't an NFL QB. We need to move on from that experiment. I've never seen a thing out of him that warrants a roster spot.

Yep. The sooner the better. Just wasting reps for someone else.

Dayze
08-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I came away thinking exactly the opposite of what the article suggest. I thought Stanzi showed a lot of promise considering the situation: piss pour protection, first NFL action, 2 weeks of prep etc.

Palko looked like he was all over the place.

KC sports journalists make me wonder if they even watch game, or know the game of football.

Exoter175
08-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I came away thinking exactly the opposite of what the article suggest. I thought Stanzi showed a lot of promise considering the situation: piss pour protection, first NFL action, 2 weeks of prep etc.

Palko looked like he was all over the place.

KC sports journalists make me wonder if they even watch game, or know the game of football.

Right?

That's exactly my reaction to reading the article.

I'm guessing they left in the second quarter too. /sarcasm

Okie_Apparition
08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Stanzi is the new girlfriend after Croyle got fucked out. Palko was some bar skank that won't leave

boogblaster
08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Palko needs to go .. bring in anybody to replace him ....

DBOSHO
08-13-2011, 11:48 AM
I hate palko. It looks like he has to put every ounce of energy his body can possibly produce to throw a slant. Stanzi showed so much more than him last night and it wasnt even close.

ReynardMuldrake
08-13-2011, 11:53 AM
I thought he looked fast when the pocket went to shit. I didn't know he had wheels.

That's what I'm saying. We learned that he doesn't fold under pressure. Now put him behind our 1st line and see what he's capable of.

Mr. Laz
08-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Don't worry, a shitty offensive line and crappy backup QB's are all part of the plan.

Okie_Apparition
08-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Well Laz is apparently not part of the right 12th man

acarter25
08-13-2011, 12:46 PM
We have a quarterback?