PDA

View Full Version : Music How do you feel about a Megadeath/Metallica Supergroup?

Deberg_1990
08-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Megadeth And Metallica Supergroup On The Way?

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2011/08/12/megadeth-and-metallica-supergroup-on-the-way/

It seems that relations between ex-Metallica guitarist Dave Mustaine and his former band are better than ever. The Megadeth frontman has discussed the possibility of collaborating with the two remaining original Metallica members.

The group would also include Megadeth bassist David Ellefson. Mustaine has said that he will keep trying to persuade Hetfield, in an interview with Texas radio station, The Eagle Rocks:

“I’ve talked to Lars and James about me and David doing a supergroup record with them.

“Well, James never said ‘no’ – it’s still kind of out there in the air. I’m going to keep hammering on him.

“That and a third Big 4 show in the USA would be the last things on my list to do.”

Mustaine says there’s now almost no chance of a fully-fledged tour starring Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax. But he reveals there were teething problems when the idea of putting the Big 4 was first tabled – which led him to refuse to join in.

He explains: “There were a couple of false starts. At first I said no; I didn’t think it was going to be cool for Metallica to play in the middle of a stadium and us all to play around them.

“Then there were some other people going to be on the bill, besides the Big 4. The promoters didn’t recognise the power of the four of us, so they had things like Heaven and Hell on it.

“It was going to be Anthrax, us, Slayer, Heaven and Hell then Metallica. God bless them, and rest in peace Ronnie James Dio – but they’re not the Big 4. Pardon my French but fuck that.”

Recently bassist Ellefson said Megadeth were in a strong position due to the yin-yang nature of the pair’s relationship. Now Mustaine agrees: “One of the good things about having David here right now is, he a pastor of his church and an elder.

“He’s good at some areas where I’ll be too heavy-handed. He’ll be like, ‘Come on, the guy’s trying to work hard for you; he’s doing his best.’ And I’ll be like, ‘Oh crap – okay.’”

KC Tattoo
08-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I feel like sweating bullets...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DIiArYI5ass&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DIiArYI5ass&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Halfcan
08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Dave never did get over getting booted out.

Demonpenz
08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
this is the kind of shit that happens when people try to fill their soul left by titanic heavy metal heavy weight Warrents demise

Brock
08-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I like you Dave, but Heaven and Hell/Black Sabbath was better than Megadeth.

|Zach|
08-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Do not want.

MIAdragon
08-13-2011, 01:39 PM
http://www.psimetracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/elderly-man-on-walker.jpg

mcaj22
08-13-2011, 01:45 PM
good to see this bozo's ego is still the size of Kelly Gregg

Reaper16
08-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Do not want.
Yeah, but do you want any metal? Like ever?

That said, I have no interest in this project either.

Bowser
08-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Hey, if New Kids on the Block and the Backstreet Boys can pull it off, why not these guys?

KCUnited
08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
NP: Metalideth - Jumping The Shark Attack

Spott
08-13-2011, 02:20 PM
That concert was a lot better 20 years ago when it was Alice in Chains, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth. Luckily Megadeth played last which allowed us to leave early and not miss anything.

Reaper16
08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
That concert was a lot better 20 years ago when it was Alice in Chains, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth. Luckily Megadeth played last which allowed us to leave early and not miss anything.
your face is butt

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Fine, I'll be the uncool guy that would like this. Dave + James = awesome.

lcarus
08-13-2011, 02:46 PM
A lot of it will depend on what songs they come up with. We know Mustaine is a hell of a guitarist, and we know Hetfield is...Hetfield, and Lars is Lars. They're capable of making some sick metal. It's just hard to come up with something original that is really good these days. So much has already been done.

Reaper16
08-13-2011, 02:59 PM
A lot of it will depend on what songs they come up with. We know Mustaine is a hell of a guitarist, and we know Hetfield is...Hetfield, and Lars is Lars. They're capable of making some sick metal. It's just hard to come up with something original that is really good these days. So much has already been done.
It will be hard for them to come up with something original; they seem pretty stuck in their ways at this point. But it isn't hard to come up with original metal. Original metal albums are released in large quantities every single year.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2011, 03:02 PM
I could see them channeling a Pantera vibe, since they essentially developed that sound back in the day.

lcarus
08-13-2011, 03:10 PM
It will be hard for them to come up with something original; they seem pretty stuck in their ways at this point. But it isn't hard to come up with original metal. Original metal albums are released in large quantities every single year.

Yeah you're right. I just basically meant it will be hard for them to come up with music that will match the potential that a Metallica/Megadeth collaboration has. I always wondered what Metallica would have been like if they kept Dave Mustaine. Kirk Hammett is great, but imagine if they somehow had Hammett AND Mustaine. Nuts man. But hey, at least we got 2 great bands (in my opinion) out of the breakup.

chasedude
08-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I like you Dave, but Heaven and Hell/Black Sabbath (when Dio was with them) was better than Megadeth.

FYP

chasedude
08-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I'd love to hear if that 4-some can come up with something.

Reaper16
08-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I could see them channeling a Pantera vibe, since they essentially developed that sound back in the day.
wut

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2011, 03:30 PM
wutDave has maintained that Pantera "ripped off" a sound that he and James had created during some jam sessions. I can find bits and pieces that allude to it on the net (Dave's wikipedia link mentions a bit about it), but I haven't found a link to the story.

Reaper16
08-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Dave has maintained that Pantera "ripped off" a sound that he and James had created during some jam sessions. I can find bits and pieces that allude to it on the net (Dave's wikipedia link mentions a bit about it), but I haven't found a link to the story.
So... Pantera sat in for those sessions? Jealous Dave will claim any fucking thing.

Pantera did steal their entire sound form another band though. That band is Exhorder.

Brock
08-13-2011, 05:11 PM
FYP

Not so much.

Lzen
08-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Really? 20 years ago? I saw megadeth on their rust in peace tour 20 or 21 years ago. They were in their prime then and kicked serious ass.

rad
08-13-2011, 06:41 PM
So... Pantera sat in for those sessions? Jealous Dave will claim any fucking thing.

Pantera did steal their entire sound form another band though. That band is Exhorder.

....which is a topic of much debate.....I think no one will ever know the truth.

Gadzooks
08-13-2011, 09:11 PM
I’ve met Dave. He was a real nice fella.
I would be excited if this collaboration took place but would expect to be disappointed.
They’re all 10X better musicians at this point but have lacked any innovation for the past 20+ years.
I would more than likely end up being disappointed at the lack of any brain tickling musical innovation.

IMO. Kirk has added 2 or 3 wicked solos and nothing else to Metallica. Now is the time to : Bring back Dave, Bring back Dave, Bring back Dave, Bring back Dave,

morphius
08-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Fine, I'll be the uncool guy that would like this. Dave + James = awesome.
Ha, I can beet you on the uncool, I liked Anthrax better than any of the rest of that group, don't like Slayer, and didn't care for Metallica until the black albulm, lol.

Christofire
08-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Dave has more to gain (redemption, a higher level of commercial success than is currently possible), so it's easy to see what would drive him. For James and Lars, it's basically curiosity, isn't it?

My initial thought was that his quest for validation would annoy the piss out of them quickly. But between post-therapy Hetfield and Lars' penchant for seeming annoying himself, perhaps it'd be all good.

lcarus
08-13-2011, 10:35 PM
I’ve met Dave. He was a real nice fella.
I would be excited if this collaboration took place but would expect to be disappointed.
They’re all 10X better musicians at this point but have lacked any innovation for the past 20+ years.
I would more than likely end up being disappointed at the lack of any brain tickling musical innovation.

IMO. Kirk has added 2 or 3 wicked solos and nothing else to Metallica. Now is the time to : Bring back Dave, Bring back Dave, Bring back Dave, Bring back Dave,

How did you like "The Final Frontier" album

Jawshco
08-13-2011, 11:16 PM
I think the Super band would be great. I like Elleson's bass work far more than RobT's. However, you've got to include Kirk- he's become major part of their sound, and he doesn't just play solos, Sheesh! Some huge symphonic guitar madness would be awesome from these guys.

I hope Dave wasn't bashing on Heaven and Hell. I saw them live before Dio passed away, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Dio helped create part of the sound of metal vocals, and the Sabbath guys were the fathers of metal. So to me, his comment is kind of crappy. I'd take H&H any day over Anthrax.

Gadzooks
08-13-2011, 11:36 PM
How did you like "The Final Frontier" album

I took me back in time and I liked it :evil:
It would be cool if Megatallica could release a new "Kill 'em All" type album but I doubt that's what they'd be going for.
http://www.fearnet.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201058/IM.jpg