PDA

View Full Version : Video Games OT: Addicting games to pass the time

Exoter175
08-13-2011, 04:37 PM
So, the lockout and the off season took its toll on me. Not sure how you guys fared but generally I keep pretty entertained during regular off seasons keeping up to date on football rumors, news, info, etc.

Not so much this season. This season I was hard pressed to find stuff to fill the voids of every day life. Like most smartphone users, I played Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies, Words with friends, etc. Generally I don't really play Facebook games at all, but recently (really, really recently) I have become addicted to a Facebook game.

I was browsing Facebook on my phone the other day when I came across a link from my friend Mike (If you are from KCSR.org, or participate in any type of local automotive driving/sporting/racing here in KC, you probably know him as Honad, or Michael Schulte if you know him IRL)

In any case, he wrote a review the other day on Kotaku of all places.( For those that don't know, Kotaku is a very big "media" website for the gaming industry and they push out a lot of news from all aspects).

He wrote an article over there about a sequel to the greatest Facebook game you never played. I decided to check it out for myself and I'm ashamed to say it, but I'm hooked on a Facebook game! lol This game, Stardrift Empires, is incredibly addicting. Probably because there is an active leader board and the game just came out so there's a lot of up and down for positions, but it feels rather competitive.

Here's a snippet from it.

There's only been one Facebook game I've ever set an alarm for in real life: Starfleet Commander made me get up in the middle of the night to check my fleets and send out new attacks. What made the space fleet combat game—sort of a combination of EVE Online and Trade Wars 2002—so compelling? For me, it was the chance of actually losing. Losing ships, losing planets, losing time. Unlike most Facebook games that only use multiplayer as a sort of marketing scheme, Starfleet Commander encouraged you to sink time into its game—and then risk that investment to win.

Now developer Blue Frog Gaming is following up SFC with a quasi-sequel: Stardrift Empires will be launching in partnership with Syfy Games. Kotaku's Facebook Multiplayer Fleet Combat Correspondent Michael Schulte talked to Blue Frog's CEO, Matt Maroon in this exclusive first look at the game.

Anyways, here's a link to my friend's article if you would like to read it http://kotaku.com/5829539/stardrift-empires-the-sequel-to-the-best-facebook-game-you-never-played/gallery/1?preview=0

If you feel like checking the game out and helping a fellow CP member out, use this referral link and you'll be placed in my buddy list so I can help show you the ropes if you get addicted too haha.

http://apps.facebook.com/stardrift_empires/?ref_id=1330071021&ref_type=link&ref_uid=1165

Oh one last thing to note. Apparently they teamed up with SyFy.com and NBC to make this game, so it should be available from www.SyFy.com as well (if you don't have facebook), and if you're like me and you like to play games from your phone when it is convenient, the game even has its very own standalone site you can play from and it works great on the iPhone4 and from what I'm told, several of the droid phones.

Anyways, check the article out and come join me if you want something to do in between preseason games lol.

(Sorry if I came off like a promoter, I'm really proud of my buddy for getting on Kotaku, and just in a pretty joyful mood right now, looking for more people to come join me. Also if I posted this in the wrong section or it violates a forum rule feel free to lock/move/delete it accordingly. I briefed myself on the rules but didn't run through it with a fine toothed comb you know? :D)

Groves
08-13-2011, 06:47 PM
We've had some celebs visit in the past, Which one of these guys are you, Mr. Exoter175?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5XcKBmdfpWs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Exoter175
08-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Granted, I'm only 25, I still love bands like Styx, Kansas, Boston, Steve Miller Band, The Eagles, etc.

That song actually takes me back to when I was a little younger. I'm not allowed to say that being 25, but it actually works.

More on topic, I was talking to my buddy mike who wrote that article, and I guess all you have to do is really just put the nose to the grindstone and work hard at your writing and constantly crank out material, and you'll eventually get your foot in the door.

I think I might have to start doing that for myself with the journalism in this city, specifically that regarding the sports market :D

Edit: I got a message in the game saying i had a new crew member but I don't think it auto-linked us as friends, so whoever joined from my link, shoot me your coordinates or just buddy request me @ 1:59:10 in the game