PDA

View Full Version : Weather Stage collapse at Indiana State Fair kills at least 4

Dartgod
08-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Wow, tragic...

Stage collapse at Indiana State Fair kills at least 4

(CNN) -- A massive gust of wind brought down a stage at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday night, killing at least four and injuring 24, officials said.

Authorities said they feared more casualties.

"A big gust of wind came through. You could see a lot of people panicking. All the scaffolding and speakers -- all that came crashing down -- and the whole stand just collapsed," said Aaron Richman, who witnessed the collapse at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis.

The Indianapolis Department of Public Safety posted on its Twitter page the death toll and said that 24 people had been taken to area hospitals.

Two local hospitals placed the number of injured at 43, including some walk-in patients.

Capt. Brad Weaver, commander of special operations for the Indiana State Police, said he took the stage at 8:45 p.m. to warn the audience of severe weather.

Ten minutes later, the wind gust blew through.

He said he "saw the framework from the stage start to come over."

He said he and others took cover behind a trailer, which was also struck by debris from the stage.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/13/indiana.stage.collapse/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

keg in kc
08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Damn.

Dartgod
08-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Here's a video of it happening.

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=us/2011/08/13/nr.in.stage.collapse.video.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=us/2011/08/13/nr.in.stage.collapse.video.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

Sure-Oz
08-13-2011, 10:55 PM
good lord

keg in kc
08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah, this is the youtube video both reports reference:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TdpzTOTo_UI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Was this directly after the band came out and firmly suggested that the crowd "bring down the house y'all"?

MoreLemonPledge
08-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Wow...

Aries Walker
08-14-2011, 06:09 AM
I live in Indianapolis now, and this was all over the news last night. I heard an interview with a doctor who was in the crowd ("up front, in what we thought were the good seats") with his wife and two daughters. He had just made a bad joke about the stage collapsing, and then the lady next to him was complaining that if they had to evacuate to a building, they'd never get those good seats back.

His wife and one daughter were far behind from him, but he and his other were right in the landing zone. Everything happened, apparently, in seconds, and when he felt the wind gust, and saw the dust cloud roll in and the tarp on the top of the stage blow half off, he grabbed his daughter (who was stunned by it) and started pushing her back through the audience to get out of there.

The scaffolding, he said, missed his shoulder by about a foot. Looking back, he covered about 30 feet through the crowd, and if he hadn't, it would have landed right on both of them. Anyway, he sent his daughter (who I think he said was 12) ahead to find her mother, and he went back to help people.

One lady near him had her legs pinned by the scaffolding, so he and a bunch of other guys lifted it up so they could pull her out. He stepping farther in and saw a 2 or 3 year old girl (he and his daughter had noticed her earlier, in her pink and magenta tutu, and said she was cute), who had a "serious injury" to her arm; it was cut badly and broken. He put on a tourniquet and tried to calm her down, eventually handing her off to an emergency worker. He doesn't know where her parents were or what became of her afterwards, except to say that her injuries were not life-threatening if she got care, but they were serious enough for the hospital.

He also treated one of the four guys who was sitting up in the rigging, working the spotlights, when it fell. He said he had more serious injuries, but didn't go into much detail. He also mentioned he treated some people that he didn't think were going to make it; I'm not sure if he meant the roadie up in the rafters, or someone else.

The common denominator in all of the interviews I saw last night was how quickly it swept in. Marion County had all of the warnings in place that it should have, and the guy on stage said they "might have to evacuate", but they had not ordered an evacuation when the gust front hit. A lot of people were probably thrown off because while the blob on the weather radar maps show where the rain is, and the assumption is that that's the dangerous part, this was out ahead of that, on the leading edge of the storm. We've all seen it, where the winds pick up just before the rain hits, and this was a rather violent form of that.

Here's another video of the collapse. This is the one they were showing all over the news last night.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SRkdwrmzYXg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the anchors said this was the worst fair disaster they've had in Indiana since a Coliseum collapsed in 1963. It's pretty sobering.

notorious
08-14-2011, 07:00 AM
JFC, what kind of ****ing idiot waited that long to clear the area?

If they were going to evacuate due to weather, were they going to wait until the lightning and downpour were at full force to make the announcement?

Somebody is going to have to live with their completely idiotic mistake.

Baconeater
08-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Holy hell, that thing looked like it came down fairly easily. Makes me think it was a setup that was normally used indoors, and weather wasn't taken into consideration at all when it was set up outside.

TinyEvel
08-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Damn. This video's way more vivid than the first. Good thing more people didn't die. Lucky there wasn't a panic stampede. Way more could have been killed.

Deberg_1990
08-14-2011, 07:48 AM
I smell a ton of lawsuits...

Archie F. Swin
08-14-2011, 07:54 AM
I see all outdoor entertainment venues needing a meteorologist. Or, perhaps someone in a position of authority who has a smart phone set up to receive real-time weather warnings.

yeah.....something like that

Baconeater
08-14-2011, 07:59 AM
I see all outdoor entertainment venues needing a meteorologist. Or, perhaps someone in a position of authority who has a smart phone set up to receive real-time weather warnings.

yeah.....something like that
Or someone there to...I dunno...look at the sky maybe?

milkman
08-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Holy hell, that thing looked like it came down fairly easily. Makes me think it was a setup that was normally used indoors, and weather wasn't taken into consideration at all when it was set up outside.

Really, given how state fairs are set up in like a matter of hours, it's surprising these types of things haven't happened in the past, even without weather.

evenfall
08-14-2011, 09:16 AM
That is horrible...

Was the wind gusting like that previously or was it just sudden?

Bwana
08-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Damn! On a side note, it may be wise to avoid Sugarland concerts. When they were in Billings earlier this summer, three tornados touched down in the area.

tk13
08-14-2011, 09:58 AM
From what I understand... the other odd thing is that there are of course carnival rides, a ferris wheel, etc... among other structures. Nothing else at the fair suffered damage, just this stage.

ChiefsCountry
08-14-2011, 10:03 AM
From what I understand... the other odd thing is that there are of course carnival rides, a ferris wheel, etc... among other structures. Nothing else at the fair suffered damage, just this stage.

Basically a freak wind burst that took the stage down.

KC Tattoo
08-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Damn, Finall destination reality.

Aries Walker
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Yup, this. The reporter I saw was showing how every building there was bolted into the ground, with strong steel cables, and they should resist 75 mph gusts, which is what these were estimated as. That one, for whatever reason, didn't. Ruh-roh.

I can't really fault the management. They were apparently getting ready to announce the evacuation when it the windstorm came up in a matter of seconds. The only quicker way would have been to yell, "Run for your lives!" and that probably would have just caused a stampede.

A fifth guy died this morning, a very respected stagehand who was up in the rafters when it hit. They described him as the show's reliable fix-it guy, and left behind a couple of kids. Pretty much tragic all around.

boogblaster
08-14-2011, 10:54 AM
damn RIP music lovers ....

DaFace
08-14-2011, 11:10 AM
FWIW, death toll's at five with 45 injured.

Pablo
08-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Damn! On a side note, it may be wise to avoid Sugarland concerts. When they were in Billings earlier this summer, three tornados touched down in the area.At least these people were spared the torture of watching a Sugarland concert.

I know, I know...too soon, bad taste.

Baconeater
08-14-2011, 11:23 AM
And all those other things are designed to be outdoors. Someone really dropped the ball here.

veist
08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Looks like the roof on the stage was acting like a great big sail, it blows out on one side and things go bad as that load moves.

lcarus
08-14-2011, 12:20 PM
So many things can go wrong at a concert, or any venue where a lot of people congregate to watch something. It almost makes me not wanna go anywhere. Almost. Scary world.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Damn that wierd weather.

ChiefsCountry
08-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Damn that wierd weather.

US Government made weather rings around the Indiana State Fair.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-14-2011, 12:29 PM
US Government made weather rings around the Indiana State Fair.

Better get that bunker filled with provisions. It's not safe anywhere!!

ku_jhawk23
08-14-2011, 12:55 PM
At least these people were spared the torture of watching a Sugarland concert.

do you think you're funny?

Baconeater
08-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I chuckled. Heck, I'm going to go back and give him rep for that comment.

ku_jhawk23
08-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I chuckled. Heck, I'm going to go back and give him rep for that comment.

well that's great....i live in indiana, bought tickets for this concert for my wife...she is sick and couldn't go, so we gave them to a friend of hers. that friend ended up in the hospital last night because of this (it was a minor injury), but i will let her know that you find death and injury funny.

Valiant
08-14-2011, 01:05 PM
That sucks.. I am not sure they could have did much more if the wind blew that quick in..

They lost the battle of balancing safety vs. customer seeing the show/profits..

I read on here that other sets were bolted to the ground but the stage was not, hopefully that does not come back as it was forgotten to be done..

Phobia
08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I presume the stage itself was safe but once you affix all those banners it becomes a huge hazard in wind. Banners should be designed to tear away in the event of high wind.

OnTheWarpath58
08-14-2011, 02:35 PM
At least these people were spared the torture of watching a Sugarland concert.

LMAO

kstater
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM
, but i will let her know that you find death and injury funny.

You don't?

DaFace
08-14-2011, 02:51 PM

You've been here since 2005, and comments like this surprise you?

OnTheWarpath58
08-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Or someone there to...I dunno...look at the sky maybe?

That's the thing. What were not only the people in charge waiting for, but what in the hell were the people in the crowd waiting for?

The sky looks like it's about to unleash hell any minute, and people are just hanging out waiting for a concert to start. If I see severe weather rolling in, my ass is looking for cover, even if it's the Rolling fucking Stones I've paid to see.

EDIT: Just noticed this:

Capt. Brad Weaver, commander of special operations for the Indiana State Police, said he took the stage at 8:45 p.m. to warn the audience of severe weather.

Ten minutes later, the wind gust blew through.

So basically, the crowd ignored the warning and the sky, and 10 minutes later, this happens.

veist
08-14-2011, 03:13 PM
So basically, the crowd ignored the warning and the sky, and 10 minutes later, this happens.

Yeah, that really makes it sound like there was some poor decision making involved by those who ignored being warned both by the authorities and the signs around them that the weather was going to shit in a hurry.

Demonpenz
08-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Welp, don't deny God "Freebird" shit like this won't happen

Thig Lyfe
08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
well that's great....i live in indiana, bought tickets for this concert for my wife...she is sick and couldn't go, so we gave them to a friend of hers. that friend ended up in the hospital last night because of this (it was a minor injury), but i will let her know that you find death and injury funny.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/thats-not-funny-my-brother-died-that-way,10921/

Baconeater
08-14-2011, 07:02 PM
That's the thing. What were not only the people in charge waiting for, but what in the hell were the people in the crowd waiting for?

The sky looks like it's about to unleash hell any minute, and people are just hanging out waiting for a concert to start. If I see severe weather rolling in, my ass is looking for cover, even if it's the Rolling fucking Stones I've paid to see.

EDIT: Just noticed this:

Eh, there's also this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/14/indiana-state-fair-stage-collapses_n_926346.html?ncid=webmail1

Concert-goers said the opening act by Sara Bareilles had finished and the crowd was waiting for Sugarland to take the stage. They said an announcer had alerted them that severe weather was possible and gave instructions on what to do if an evacuation was necessary. But the same announcer said concert organizers hoped the show would go on, and many fans stayed put.
I read another article (that I can't seem to find at the moment) where one concertgoer said she stayed there because she didn't want to lose her great spot right by the stage. Stupidity was running rampant on both sides here.

tk13
08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
From what I've heard from people who were there... there was no actual "evacuation," just a warning that strong weather may be approaching. The show was supposed to go on, and people were told what to do in case the show was stopped due to weather.

Pablo
08-14-2011, 09:19 PM
do you think you're funny?Yes.

I've been known to be called "hilarious" on occasion.

Pablo
08-14-2011, 09:20 PM
well that's great....i live in indiana, bought tickets for this concert for my wife...she is sick and couldn't go, so we gave them to a friend of hers. that friend ended up in the hospital last night because of this (it was a minor injury), but i will let her know that you find death and injury funny.Sometimes God punishes people with terrible taste in music.

It's not fair; it's just the way it is.

DaFace
08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
How's this for weird?

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/Fatal_Stage_Collapse_in_Belgium_128050343.html

Fatal Stage Collapse in Belgium

BRUSSELS (AP) -- The head of emergency planning of the Belgian town of Hasselt said three people died when a storm hit an open air music festival nearby.

Hugo Simons told VRT radio that 11 people were severely injured while 60 sustained light injuries at the annual Pukkelpop festival.

Video from the site showed stage equipment dangling in high winds as rain-soaked concertgoers at the Pukkelpop festival ran for cover near the town of Hasselt, about 50 miles east of Brussels.

The festival's website lists a number of stages where concerts and performances were to be held during the three-day event, which started Thursday. Reports say some 60,000 people are attending the event.

Demonpenz
08-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Great White scoffs at this thread

MOhillbilly
08-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Lol friggin nut.

DJ's left nut
08-18-2011, 10:25 PM

Make sure she knows that I get a chuckle out of it as well.

Righteous indignation on a chat board rocks ass. You sir, have taught us all a valuable lesson today.