PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Training Camp 8/14

O.city
08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
The wife and I made the drive up from KC today to St. Joe. I know everyone has been looking for a little more inside on camp this year so I will give you all my 2 cents worth of observations. I dunno if it was from last weeks ass kicking but practice was pretty uptempo at times and some coaches were fairly vocal. Keep in mind I don't have the keen eye some on here do. I will post on some individuals I watched and some will be mainly groups.

Gaither: Looked in shape (somewhat) and worked pretty good. Worked mostly with the two's but dominated Gales and Brandon Bair I believe all day. Worked a few half line snaps against Tamba and Houston and looked surprisingly good. TBH I thought he looked better than Albert today. Had quicker feet and seemed strong in run blocking also. I think he will take over the LT spot but who knows. Seemed to pick up pass protection pretty well but with Palko at qb it was pretty a pretty pathetic pass attempt.

Cassel: seemed to have a pretty good w/o. Had a few overthrows but a few good strong throws that had quite a bit of zip on them during 7 on 7, where he hit Baldwin once on a deep outside comeback. Overall he looked alot better than this time last year. Again just my perception. It is pretty obvious that Zorn is in his ear after nearly every play so I imagine that is helping. His drops looked good as he was getting back in the pocket quickly although once he lazily took a deep drop and Haley and Zorn jumped his A** pretty hard about it. the qb did a weird pocket awareness drill today with large workout balls. Looked ok to me but obviously Zorn is a little smarter when it comes to qb then myself.

Rookies: I paid special attention to the rookies today. Bailey and Houston looked extremely well against Richardson and Albert. Bailey played with ALOT of energy and held the point of attack pretty well. On one specific play he shed the block and took on Bannon in the hole and it was quite the collision where Bailey came out with the upper hand as Bannon was on his back side. Bailey looked extremely strong also. Houston is so quick off the ball and around the edge. He even showed off a nice spin move today which got a rise out of Romeo. I came away impressed. Powe looked pretty good as he held a few double teams from Harris and Hudson I believe but I didn't see him much today. Didn't notice Jalil Brown at all but I honestly forgot to so forgive me on that one. Will talk about Baldwin in the receiver group. Hudson looks pretty impressive at center already. I noticed every time he is on the sideline he is talking to Weigmann so that looks promising. I know he isn't a rookie but Sheffield looks good and looked decent in pass drops.

WR and RB.= After today (and before also) I think we are as talented at these groups as we have been in a while. Jones was intense today as was McClain during RB sessions. McCluster (against all odds) impressed the hell out me today. He was very quick in and out of cuts and had good vision,(we stood at the back of the endzone so it was noticable). don't think with his size he could withstand many carries at all because he is small but he is very deceptive. Noticed a couple series with him and charles in the backfield as was in the Preseason game. Could be something to that formation mismatch wise. McClain looked to be in good shape. Charles is Charles. Looked quick and showed good hands out the backfield. WR wise Bowe and Breaston were good today I thought. Dunno about Urban but again didn't see alot from him. Baldwin is a stud tho. He's big alot bigger than i thought. He can run and i was impressed with his work ethic. He stayed after and conditioned as well as caught from the jugs machine(allen bailey stayed after as well working on the sled). I feel as tho Baldwin is gonna be a good one. Just gotta work him up a little. Although at wr outside of Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Urban and Mc. we are not good. Copper is decent but the others are lacking.

Surprisingly Jackson showed flashed today. I was impressed but who knows about him. Stanzi worked a little more with the 2nd team today. Asamoah stayed on the field for about 25 minutes after practice working with Lilja today. Moeaki looked full speed today to me.

Well i know it's a little lengthy but those were my observations today. I am thinking bout heading back tomorrow as it's my last free week before back to drilling teeth. Anyone wants me to eye someone or something tomorrow let me know.

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Good stuff.

After reading that lameass report that Philfree posted (nothing against Philfree, just whoever wrote that crap), I am glad to read your far more detailed report.

philfree
08-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Good stuff.

After reading that lameass report that Philfree posted (nothing against Philfree, just whoever wrote that crap), I am glad to read your far more detailed report.

That was Gretz.

philfree
08-14-2011, 07:23 PM
That was Gretz.

Thanks for posting your observations Mr O.city

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:24 PM
That was Gretz.

That explains it.

Of course you could have named any member of the media, and my response would have been exactly the same.

How the hell do these guys keep jobs?

Claynus
08-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I've never heard a coach jumping all over a QB for a lazy drop before.

I wonder if they are emphasizing him setting up quicker to compensate for the OL and his lack of elite arm.

philfree
08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
That explains it.

Of course you could have named any member of the media, and my response would have been exactly the same.

How the hell do these guys keep jobs?

I think Gretz does his own thing. IMO he's not bad.

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:27 PM

I wonder if they are emphasizing him setting up quicker to compensate for the OL and his lack of elite arm.

That's pretty typical of a good QB coach trying to teach discipline and mechanics.

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I think Gretz does his own thing. IMO he's not bad.

Gretz is a blowhard with an agenda who thinks he's better than he is because he covered the Steelers early in his career.

O.city
08-14-2011, 07:29 PM
It was weird about the drop. I couldn't understand exactly what they were saying when he dropped they jsut stopped the play and Zorn was imitating the drop Cassel took and did it again with quicker feet.

As I said once he started getting back quicker he looked pretty good in the pocket. Even stepped up into it a few times and fired a few deep balls which caught me off guard alot as they looked like good throws.

philfree
08-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Gretz is a blowhard with an agenda who thinks he's better than he is because he covered the Steelers early in his career.

LOL Tell us how you really feel.

Deberg_1990
08-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Why dont Teicher or one of the other Star scrubs offer up daily chiefs camp reports like this?

O.city
08-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Just a few more observations i forgot to add.

I ball really jumped out of Stanzi's hand today. He has really good zip although he needs alot of work reading defenses as I think my wife could have picked off a few of his today as he stares down a little but he is a rookie so a break is cut to him.

DJ made a few plays and Siler looked good. As i said it was noticeable that the oline got after it today after the lackluster performance.

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:38 PM
It was weird about the drop. I couldn't understand exactly what they were saying when he dropped they jsut stopped the play and Zorn was imitating the drop Cassel took and did it again with quicker feet.

As I said once he started getting back quicker he looked pretty good in the pocket. Even stepped up into it a few times and fired a few deep balls which caught me off guard alot as they looked like good throws.

I can only speculate, but Cassel tends to take lazy shuffling steps in his drops, which forces him to readjust his feet to prepare to throw.

Zorn is trying to teach clean, crisp, quick steps, so that when his back foot hits on the last step, his feet are set already to pass.

Mr. Laz
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
footwork and technique is the main thing QB coaches normally focus on ... making sure that the QB doesn't get lazy and lose form IS their main job imo

keg in kc
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I can only speculate, but Cassel tends to take lazy shuffling steps in his drops, which forces him to readjust his feet to prepare to throw.

Zorn is trying to teach clean, crisp, quick steps, so that when his back foot hits on the last step, his feet are set already to pass.That was a big focus last year as well, albeit during the year rather than camp, when they had him watching and emulating tape of Brees' drops.

He did make some progress during the middle of the year with that, and I don't think it was a coincidence that his numbers jumped there (of course the defenses helped, too).

Just Passin' By
08-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Why dont Teicher or one of the other Star scrubs offer up daily chiefs camp reports like this?

Y'all don't have anyone in the media out there doing daily camp reports?

jynni
08-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Although at wr outside of Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Urban and Mc. we are not good.

This is encouraging considering the "good WR" list used to stop at Bowe.

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:49 PM

They provide reports.

They just suck ass.

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I am really encouraged by the reports on Hudson, Houston and Powe.

Just Passin' By
08-14-2011, 07:50 PM
They provide reports.

They just suck ass.

My condolences. It sucks not being able to get any handle on the rookies, FAs and low enders during training camp. You end up not knowing what to focus on during the exhibitions.

Deberg_1990
08-14-2011, 07:52 PM

I guess Babb does, but it sucks......heres a link to todays......its funny how the star provides links to alot of the big Chiefs messge boards including this one. ROFL

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1777

Claynus
08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I am really encouraged by the reports on Hudson, Houston and Powe.

Did you get to watch the game?

What did you think of Powe?

Just Passin' By
08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Just as an aside, did anyone here spend any time last year focusing on T.J. who'syourmamma? There's a report that the Patriots are going to be bringing him in for a workout, but I don't remember seeing him do anything impressive last year. If someone has a take on him other than "done", I'd love to hear the take and the reasoning.

Edit: Belichick's going nuts this year with the veterans. He's also bringing in Darren Sharper and Renaldo Hill for workouts.

milkman
08-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Did you get to watch the game?

What did you think of Powe?

Thought I had it set to record on Friday before I left for work, but apparently screwed it up in my haste, as I was running late.

It's on NFLN tonight at 1 am, my time, so I'm going to record it then and watch it Wednesday.

Just Passin' By
08-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I guess Babb does, but it sucks......heres a link to todays......its funny how the star provides links to alot of the big Chiefs messge boards including this one. ROFL

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1777

I've got it lucky when it comes to this. New England's got 3 significant papers and some smaller ones that give coverage, plus Comcast and ESPN. We get a lot of different perspectives and reports on pretty much every practice. The two major Patriots sites also have some really knowledgeable and/or observant people who attend a lot of the practices every year and give back reports.

threebag02
08-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Good stuff.

you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDEMWbhT37eGE5-_ApcYeJduhfSGApu-2x9qXSB8Kux2JdjTvd

O.city
08-14-2011, 09:23 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDEMWbhT37eGE5-_ApcYeJduhfSGApu-2x9qXSB8Kux2JdjTvd

Wait it's gotta be your bull

Okie_Apparition
08-14-2011, 09:31 PM
This is encouraging considering the "good WR" list used to stop at Bowe.

Fair catch Wade was so bad Chambers looked awesome

Cephalic Trauma
08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Great read, OP. I want to echo the sentiments of everyone in saying that this was very much appreciated.

Bump
08-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Just as an aside, did anyone here spend any time last year focusing on T.J. who'syourmamma? There's a report that the Patriots are going to be bringing him in for a workout, but I don't remember seeing him do anything impressive last year. If someone has a take on him other than "done", I'd love to hear the take and the reasoning.

Edit: Belichick's going nuts this year with the veterans. He's also bringing in Darren Sharper and Renaldo Hill for workouts.

that's what they do and they are very successful in doing it.

Extra Point
08-14-2011, 10:50 PM

We gotta look at 10, and they weren't that good. We caught some lines off of "Scarecrow" on the way home. That's exactly as much as I could have stood. But, hey, that's just me.

Bump
08-14-2011, 10:52 PM
that's a nice write up man, way better than any of the paid KC writers.

Claynus
08-14-2011, 10:54 PM

Why work if you don't have to?

zonachief
08-14-2011, 10:59 PM

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sean peyton does it with brees frequently.

Wilson8
08-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Good report.

Although at wr outside of Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Urban and Mc. we are not good. Copper is decent but the others are lacking.

I was at training camp last week.

Breaston, Bowe, Baldwin, Urban, and Copper will be the WRs this year. All of them have been looking very good. Kansas City is going to have some excellent WRs for Cassel to throw to. Tucker has struggled (both in the game and in practice) and he needs to really improve over the next three weeks to have a shot as a 6th wide receiver. Probably don’t need to worry about the other WRs and how they do because they won’t be around. Horne, Williams, Markshausen, Manno, and even Colbert will get some playing time in preseason and then be gone.

Wilson8
08-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Tight End – As the roster looks now, Moeaki, O’Connell, and Pope will be the TEs this year. I was hoping for more in Gantt and Slate. Cody Slate was a pretty good receiver at Marshall but he looks pretty slow. I know this will get some people upset but I think O’Connell (again both in practice and the game) looks like he might develop into a decent backup.

btlook1
08-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Good insight....I think we would all love to hear more about what is going on in practice! feel free to update every practice if you have the time....don't worry about work take another week or two off!!

|Zach|
08-14-2011, 11:16 PM
So outside of 5 WR we are not good?

Yea...that happens.

Wilson8
08-15-2011, 05:52 AM
So outside of 5 WR we are not good?

Yea...that happens.

I think our starters all look good. My concern is watching the backups.

At QB we need a veteran until Stanzi develops. KC might just go with 2 QBs, Cassel and Stanzi and pick up a veteran at the beginning of the regular season.

At cornerback Flowers is looking good. I haven;t seen that much of Carr but I'm sure he will be fine. Jalil Brown looks like a holding machine in practice. Our WRs either blow by him or he is hanging on to them. Arenas and Daniels have been OK.

Safety is kind of the same. Starters look good but the backups are in question.

Running back and fullback - will be Charles, Jones, McClain, and McCluster. Battle is playing his way out of the 5th spot. Kansas City can probably find a 5th back from a team that tries to slip a young back onto their practice squad. I’d like to see what Tervaris Johnson can do. I haven't really seen him. I’m really surprised that KC never picked up a CFA or 1st year running back that they could try out during the preseason.

Offensive Line - Albert, Richardson, Lilja, Wiegmann, Asamoah, Harris, Hudson, and Gaither. If everyone is healthy the Chiefs might only keep eight. O’Callaghan and Mims would be the next possible additions to the team. Mims looks pretty good in one on one drills and when matched up against one rusher. I’d like to see some more of Mike Ingersoll to see if he could help the Chiefs.

the Talking Can
08-15-2011, 06:44 AM
thanks for the report, always appreciate first hand info

Dave Lane
08-15-2011, 06:52 AM

I think you hit on it. The lack of elite arm doesn't require an early setup. The fact there maybe two defenders waiting for you does.

Bwana
08-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Great report, thanks for posting it.

Claynus
08-15-2011, 07:34 AM
I think you hit on it. The lack of elite arm doesn't require an early setup.

The sooner you're set the sooner you can release the ball if a receiver is open and the window to throw the ball into is rapidly closing...

Coogs
08-15-2011, 07:55 AM
I think our starters all look good. My concern is watching the backups.

At QB we need a veteran until Stanzi develops. KC might just go with 2 QBs, Cassel and Stanzi and pick up a veteran at the beginning of the regular season.

At cornerback Flowers is looking good. I haven;t seen that much of Carr but I'm sure he will be fine. Jalil Brown looks like a holding machine in practice. Our WRs either blow by him or he is hanging on to them. Arenas and Daniels have been OK.

Safety is kind of the same. Starters look good but the backups are in question.

Running back and fullback - will be Charles, Jones, McClain, and McCluster. Battle is playing his way out of the 5th spot. Kansas City can probably find a 5th back from a team that tries to slip a young back onto their practice squad. I’d like to see what Tervaris Johnson can do. I haven't really seen him. I’m really surprised that KC never picked up a CFA or 1st year running back that they could try out during the preseason.

Offensive Line - Albert, Richardson, Lilja, Wiegmann, Asamoah, Harris, Hudson, and Gaither. If everyone is healthy the Chiefs might only keep eight. O’Callaghan and Mims would be the next possible additions to the team. Mims looks pretty good in one on one drills and when matched up against one rusher. I’d like to see some more of Mike Ingersoll to see if he could help the Chiefs.

It looks to me as if our backups are getting much better. Our #2's were on the field much of the first half, and did a reasonable job against the #1's from TB.

Now the #3's not so much across the board... but a few #3's did play well... but most of those guys won't be here in a few weeks anyway.

bobbything
08-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Because that requires effort.

The Star used to do daily Chiefs reports and would break down offense, defense, special teams, and then even go into individual players who looked good, looked bad, etc. And this was just a few years ago. They've gotten really, really lazy (as evident in the way Teicher reports from camp).

If there were any independently wealthy people, who could take time to go up to camp, and do full breakdowns of practice, it would be awesome. On top of it, it would really show up the hacks that the Star sends out there on a daily basis.