PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Facing Ninth Deployment, Army Ranger Kills Himself. 'No Way' That God Would Forgive H

KILLER_CLOWN
08-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Facing Ninth Deployment, Army Ranger Kills Himself. 'No Way' That God Would Forgive Him For What He'd Seen, Done, He Told Wife

The people who should be worried about going to hell are the bastards who sent these soldiers over there for no good reason, and then refuse to pay for the help they need when they come back:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/127623973.html?embed%27%20frameborder=%270%27%20allowfullscreen%3E%3C/iframe%3E

<iframe width='560' height='315' seamless='seamless' src='http://www.komonews.com/news/local/127623973.html?embed' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

JOINT BASE LEWIS MCCHORD, Wash. - A soldier's widow says his fellow Army Rangers wouldn't do anything to help him before he took his own life - after eight deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Army found Staff Sgt. Jared Hagemann's body at a training area of Joint Base Lewis McChord a few weeks ago.

A spokesman for the base tells KOMO News that the nature of the death is still undetermined. But Staff Sgt. Hagemann's widow says her husband took his own life - and it didn't need to happen.

"It was just horrible. And he would just cry," says Ashley Hagemann.

Ashley says her husband Jared tried to come to grips with what he'd seen and done on his eight deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"And there's no way that any God would forgive him - that he was going to hell," says Ashley. "He couldn't live with that any more."

More U.S. soldiers and veterans have died from suicide than from combat wounds over the past two years.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/facing-ninth-deployment-army-ranger-k

alnorth
08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
More U.S. soldiers and veterans have died from suicide than from combat wounds over the past two years.

This jumped out at me and on the surface you'd naturally think this is horrible. But, then after thinking about it, I did some ghoulish math to try to see how bad our military suicide numbers are.

The US annual suicide rate per 100,000 people is 17.7 men, 4.5 women, 11.1 overall. The military obviously skews heavily male, suicide is more likely when you are young vs those numbers for all age groups, and the job is unbelievably stressful. On the other hand the military is making an active effort to prevent suicides, and I'd think that the process of accepting someone for enlistment would weed out some of the people more likely to kill themselves. I just went ahead and chose 10 per 100,000 as a baseline suicide number that we might expect.

Including reserves, we have just a bit under 3 million in the military. At a rate of 10 per 100,000 perhaps we should expect 293 soldiers to kill themselves per year. Searching around, it looks like somewhere around low to mid-300's annually the last couple years, and in 2011 we are at 160 through July. So, it is higher than expected using my rough thumbnail sketch, and I'm sure there's plenty of anecdotal cases like this where a suicide might have been preventable but officers didn't care enough. Still, we have to keep in mind that for white men under the age of 35, suicide is the 2nd-leading cause of death, behind accidents.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-14-2011, 09:37 PM
This jumped out at me and on the surface you'd naturally think this is horrible. But, then after thinking about it, I did some ghoulish math to try to see how bad our military suicide numbers are.

The US annual suicide rate per 100,000 people is 17.7 men, 4.5 women, 11.1 overall. The military obviously skews heavily male, suicide is more likely when you are young vs those numbers for all age groups, and the job is unbelievably stressful. On the other hand the military is making an active effort to combat suicides, and I'd think that the process of accepting someone for enlistment would weed out some of the people more likely to kill themselves. I just went ahead and chose 10 per 100,000 as a baseline suicide number that we might expect.

Including reserves, we have just a bit under 3 million in the military. At a rate of 10 per 100,000 perhaps we should expect 293 soldiers to kill themselves per year. Searching around, it looks like somewhere around low to mid-300's annually the last couple years, and in 2011 we are at 160 through July. So, it is higher than expected using my rough thumbnail sketch, and I'm sure there's plenty of anecdotal cases like this where a suicide might have been preventable but officers didn't care enough. Still, we have to keep in mind that for white men under the age of 35, suicide is the 2nd-leading cause of death, behind accidents.

Facing Ninth Deployment

This is the part that jumped out to me, deficit or not we HAVE to take care of our Soldiers.

Bump
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Facing Ninth Deployment

This is the part that jumped out to me, deficit or not we HAVE to take care of our Soldiers.

they are just puppets that make big oil rich atm.

listopencil
08-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Another uncounted casualty. These guys need some kind of effective support network.

craneref
08-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Obviously we haven't ask the active duty military to sacrifice enough, if we just cut their benefits more to help reduce the deficit, I mean what have they really given up? This obviously a symptom of having so much more than the civilian sector. Sarcasm included for free!!!

banyon
08-15-2011, 06:45 AM

The US annual suicide rate per 100,000 people is 17.7 men, 4.5 women, 11.1 overall. The military obviously skews heavily male, suicide is more likely when you are young vs those numbers for all age groups, and the job is unbelievably stressful. On the other hand the military is making an active effort to prevent suicides, and I'd think that the process of accepting someone for enlistment would weed out some of the people more likely to kill themselves. I just went ahead and chose 10 per 100,000 as a baseline suicide number that we might expect.

Yeah, but what's the rate for "those bastards that sent them over there"?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Yeah, but what's the rate for "those bastards that sent them over there"?

zero.

ChiTown
08-15-2011, 07:30 AM

:hmmm:ROFL

patteeu
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Ashley says her husband Jared tried to come to grips with what he'd seen and done on his eight deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"And there's no way that any God would forgive him - that he was going to hell," says Ashley. "He couldn't live with that any more."

This is the part that jumped out at me. Maybe we should take him at his word and believe, until proven otherwise, that he did some really bad things that he just couldn't live with anymore.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Ever since armies have been formed this happened, lets not act like this is something that just started.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 11:34 AM

I think if you told a soldier that he or she was a puppet to his or her face, you'd be regretting it very soon after.

notorious
08-15-2011, 11:48 AM
It would be nice if one of these American Heros went Mark Wahlburg "Shooter" and took out some of the scum in Washington.

durtyrute
08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I think if you told a soldier that he or she was a puppet to his or her face, you'd be regretting it very soon after.

That is very true but it doesn't mean that it's not true.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 11:59 AM
That is very true but it doesn't mean that it's not true.

It's not true.

Calcountry
08-15-2011, 12:12 PM
they are just puppets that make big oil rich atm.college students are just puppets of big college.

listopencil
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM

When did you serve in the armed forces?