PDA

View Full Version : Life Job Interviews

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 03:27 PM
You know, I don't mind interviews at all. Ask me questions. Grill me about something on my resume. But please don't spend 17 minutes telling me about either 1) your niece or 2) the business' reputation as you see it.

It just tells me that 1) you're not interested in me at all and 2) you don't care at all that I know this.

It's kind of rude.

Bwana
08-15-2011, 03:31 PM
You know, I don't mind interviews at all. Ask me questions. Grill me about something on my resume. But please don't spend 17 minutes telling me about either 1) your niece or 2) the business' reputation as you see it.

It just tells me that 1) you're not interested in me at all and 2) you don't care at all that I know this.

It's kind of rude.

Or

3. The guy conducting the interview, is a no focus dumbass and likely stealing a paycheck.

Huffman83
So...where do you see yourself in 5 years?

SuperChief
Was it exactly 17 minutes? How do you know this? Were you keeping track of time instead of actively participating in the interview?

This was all a test.

Ebolapox
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
yep.

blaise
08-15-2011, 03:33 PM
It's hard to judge just based on that, but sometimes at smaller companies they're trying to see if you're someone they can get along with every day for 8 hours. They could have several people with similar qualifications and they want to see which one they would rather see 5 days a week.

Stewie
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM
You wouldn't believe the first interview for the job that I've now held for 20 years. I suffered through it and the subsequent interviews went much better. The first interview was an HR doofus that didn't have a clue about the position. One of his questions was, "Can you lift 50 lbs.?"

Ummm, yes I can, but this is an engineering position. Am I going to be hauling copy paper around? (I didn't say that, just thought it.)

BigRichard
A guy I use to work with was about the most unprofessional ****er when it came to interviews. I was trying to move to a position under him and he sat and read emails the entire time he was interviewing me. I thought maybe he just had no interest in hiring me so he was just being a douche.

A guy I work with now says he interviewed with him and he sat and ate a sandwich throught the entire interview. He said he was about to get up and tell him to shove it up his ass.

From what I understand he was a complete douch to work for. I believe they ended up firing him.

SuperChief
It's hard to judge just based on that, but sometimes at smaller companies they're trying to see if you're someone they can get along with every day for 8 hours. They could have several people with similar qualifications and they want to see which one they would rather see 5 days a week.

This is very true. Depending on the type of company/work you're doing, nowadays employers seem very focused on having good "team players" from a personality perspective.

noa
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I had an interview where the interviewer talked the entire 30 minutes and didn't give me a chance to say a thing. When the interview ended, I said thank you and left thinking the worst. Got a call a few days later saying he really liked me and wanted to make an offer. Sometimes if they don't ask too much on point, it can be a good sign.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
Or

3. The guy conducting the interview, is a no focus dumbass and likely stealing a paycheck.

This. Interviewer didn't know how to interview... and probably doesn't know much else concerning his job. I'd take it as a sign to say thanks but no thanks.

Hydrae
This is very true. Depending on the type of company/work you're doing, nowadays employers seem very focused on having good "team players" from a personality perspective.

The right 53!

BigRichard
08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I almost forgot, he got several phone calls while I was in there and took everyone of them. I just thought WTF.

SuperChief
08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
The right 53!

The right administrative assistant!

lol

SuperChief
08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I almost forgot, he got several phone calls while I was in there and took everyone of them. I just thought WTF.

. . . dassfuckedup.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Or

I would prefer that situation than the one I'm suspecting.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 03:42 PM
When I first became a manager the first couple interviews I did were terrible. No one (well almost no one) teaches a new boss how to interview. I think it's a learned skill like anything else. It takes a little practice and in the meantime a manager can come off as a complete moron as much because he or she is in unfamiliar territory as anything.

Count Alex's Losses
08-15-2011, 03:43 PM
You sound like a whiny bitch. We'll let you know.

Radar Chief
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vWnX8i9--UQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jenson71
So...where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I like that question. I like questions about problems I've faced, things I'm good at, things I'm bad at. I can talk my way through those with little problem.

But just sitting there while you're trying to think of the right word for "competitive" for over a minute and half is excruciatingly awkward.

Stewie
A guy I use to work with was about the most unprofessional ****er when it came to interviews. I was trying to move to a position under him and he sat and read emails the entire time he was interviewing me. I thought maybe he just had no interest in hiring me so he was just being a douche.

A guy I work with now says he interviewed with him and he sat and ate a sandwich throught the entire interview. He said he was about to get up and tell him to shove it up his ass.

From what I understand he was a complete douch to work for. I believe they ended up firing him.

I think every company has a dick like this. He's also a know-it-all.

Our company dickhead knew everything to the point that he was disgusted that we had data on 5-1/4" disks in the late 90s.

"What the hell is this?" We don't use these disks any longer!"

He proceeded to destroy about 15 disks that were in front of him.

"Ummm... that's archived data that's going to be transferred to the network! We don't use them any more, but needed the data that you just destroyed."

He was fired about six months later.

Bwana
08-15-2011, 03:44 PM

I deal with that every week, calling on people. It's just part of the job. I deal with a lot of high level plant managers, so I understand.

When I go in on a call, I always shut off my cell phone. There is nothing more important than the person sitting in front of me. Any cell phone call, can wait a half hour.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 03:44 PM

I hope I had the right mask on, then.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 03:46 PM
This. Interviewer didn't know how to interview... and probably doesn't know much else concerning his job. I'd take it as a sign to say thanks but no thanks.

Hey, it's beer me.

luv
08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
What was his view on the business' reputation? Was it positive? Was it negative? If it was negative, did you point out some ways that you could help improve his opinion? Did you at least act interested?

Not sure about the niece thing. Employers are not allowed to ask you if you have children. Maybe he was fishing to see if you would any comments about having kids of your own?

Cave Johnson
08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I would prefer that situation than the one I'm suspecting.

He's a lawyer (which is why he talked about himself via his niece as a proxy) at a mid-level firm with a chip on its shoulder.

What do I win?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey, it's beer me.

Hi. Been back for a few months lol.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
What was his view on the business' reputation? Was it positive? Was it negative? If it was negative, did you point out some ways that you could help improve his opinion? Did you at least act interested?

He was very positive. Like selling me something. But I know there's 15 people with better numbers than me. It was just him talking when I think I needed to do the talking.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM
He was very positive. Like selling me something. But I know there's 15 people with better numbers than me. It was just him talking when I think I needed to do the talking.

As I said earlier I was a terrible interviewer at first and I was guilty of just that.... talking too much while the person I was interviewing should be talking. Maybe your interviewer was just inexperienced and didn't know what to ask to get the answers he/she needed so they did all the talking to stay in a state of comfort. Just a thought.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Will you let me know when you leave again so I can come back here and enjoy this place?

:)

4th and Long
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
http://www2.oxfam.org.au/trailwalker/images/content/Melbourne/8392/sein-newman-731303.bmp
Hello, noonan!

4th and Long
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Will you let me know when you leave again so I can come back here and enjoy this place?

Daaaaaayum!

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM

A. Sorry I can't do an I'm leaving thread for reasons of gheyness

B. Ya know... I've tried to be helpful to you as a older person with 15 years or so of management/interviewing experience.

So suck it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www2.oxfam.org.au/trailwalker/images/content/Melbourne/8392/sein-newman-731303.bmp
Hello, noonan!

That was Newman....

:D

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
A. Sorry I can't do an I'm leaving thread for reasons of gheyness

B. Ya know... I've tried to be helpful to you as a older person with 15 years or so of management/interviewing experience.

So suck it.

Have you tuned your sarcaso-meter since your return?

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Have you tuned your sarcaso-meter since your return?

I knew you were being sarcastic as was I. Apparently I need to use more smilies.

:D ;):)

Calcountry
08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
It's his or her money, he or she will spend it when HE or SHE sees fit. It is their prerogative on how they spend their time, you are ASKING them for a job, they are not ASKING you to work there, otherwise, you would be interviewing prospective employers.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
It's his or her money, he or she will spend it when HE or SHE sees fit. It is their prerogative on how they spend their time, you are ASKING them for a job, they are not ASKING you to work there, otherwise, you would be interviewing prospective employers.

I know. I don't care. It's rude.

SLAG
08-15-2011, 04:10 PM

I thought thats what an interview is...
they interview you and see if you're a good fit
and you Interview them and see if you will like it - its a two way street

Calcountry
08-15-2011, 04:12 PM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vWnX8i9--UQ" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>Got to love the eye to eye contact with the interviewer as he leans in. lol.

Calcountry
08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I know. I don't care. It's rude.Then it is your prerogative to not work there. :)

Calcountry
08-15-2011, 04:14 PM
and you Interview them and see if you will like it - its a two way streetSure is. :)

luv
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
and you Interview them and see if you will like it - its a two way street

Exactly what I thought. Both are looking for something. Both ask questions. The worst thing you can do whenever they ask you if you have any questions is say no. Even if you already know the answer, ask them something, be it about work environment, advancement opportunities, the company's overall goal, or more about the type of person they are looking for to fill their position.

blaise
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
I know. I don't care. It's rude.

That depends on his intent doesn't it? If he's just jerking around, then I agree. If he's trying to gauge your personality, then I would say it's not.

4th and Long
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
That was Newman....

Put 'em in a bag, shake 'em up, ... no difference really.

Dr. Facebook Fever
Exactly what I thought. Both are looking for something. Both ask questions. The worst thing you can do whenever they ask you if you have any questions is say no. Even if you already know the answer, ask them something, be it about work environment, advancement opportunities, the company's overall goal, or more about the type of person they are looking for to fill their position.

Why is your rep off? Did it overflow and cause a clog?

Jenson71
Then it is your prerogative to not work there. :)

He wasn't the manager. He was just a recruiter. I'm sure it's a fine company.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
That depends on his intent doesn't it? If he's just jerking around, then I agree. If he's trying to gauge your personality, then I would say it's not.

Yes, it does. I'm assuming the former.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Put 'em in a bag, shake 'em up, ... no difference really.

Wow. Ouch.

luv
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Why is your rep off? Did it overflow and cause a clog?

I shall open the flood gates.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Comin at ya

Brock
08-15-2011, 04:44 PM

If he's the owner of the company, you're right, it is his prerogative to act like a dumbass. If he isn't, then you're wrong and he's behaving unprofessionally.

noa
08-15-2011, 04:48 PM
If it was a law firm recruiter, that person probably doesn't have much say. I would presume you interviewed with actual lawyers, too (both partners and associates). The recruiter may have just been putting you at ease or sussing out whether you are a psychopath. That person probably does not get to weigh in on how good a lawyer you would be, so maybe just didn't bother trying that line of questioning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 04:54 PM
You're going to be a lawyer (or are one) Jenson? Well damn. Can you get ahold of my ex-wife for me?

bogey
08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
You would not like to interview with me. I like to engage people in conversation, I like to find out a little about them personally. I wish I could win the lottery and not have to work for a living, but, since I do have to work for a living and since I get to hire the people I work with, I want to make sure I don't hire an asshole. If you can't have a conversation with me, I don't want to spend 8 plus hours a day around you.

burt
08-15-2011, 05:01 PM

You should be at some point.

burt
08-15-2011, 05:04 PM

quite a visual.....

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM

I don't think those things go hand in hand. When I first started hiring I sucked at it.

When I first became a manager the first couple interviews I did were terrible. No one (well almost no one) teaches a new boss how to interview. I think it's a learned skill like anything else. It takes a little practice and in the meantime a manager can come off as a complete moron as much because he or she is in unfamiliar territory as anything.

Very true. You get to upper management because you're good at your job (presumably). Then once you're an upper manager, you're no longer doing what got you there. It's terribly awkward while you try to find your way, often looking at your day like you have no idea what you're doing or if you're screwing it up.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I've started the tactic of making a statement about something, and then being quiet. I want to know what they think, how they handle the pressure of that when there's no question asked. It's amazing what people will say and tell you just to avoid and awkward silence.

burt
08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
You would not like to interview with me. I like to engage people in conversation, I like to find out a little about them personally. I wish I could win the lottery and not have to work for a living, but, since I do have to work for a living and since I get to hire the people I work with, I want to make sure I don't hire an asshole. If you can't have a conversation with me, I don't want to spend 8 plus hours a day around you.

actually a fairly common and valid interview style. We always did a "good guy/bad guy" interview, then compaired notes. Kinda helped that we had a big ol' friendly fat guy and a direct asshole as managers in that department. I won't be telling which one I was.

burt
08-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I've started the tactic of making a statement about something, and then being quiet. I want to know what they think, how they handle the pressure of that when there's no question asked. It's amazing what people will say and tell you just to avoid and awkward silence.

nice. I bet that knocks 'em off their game plan.

Brock
08-15-2011, 05:10 PM

example.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't think those things go hand in hand. When I first started hiring I sucked at it.

Very true. You get to upper management because you're good at your job (presumably). Then once you're an upper manager, you're no longer doing what got you there. It's terribly awkward while you try to find your way, often looking at your day like you have no idea what you're doing or if you're screwing it up.

Exactly. You know when I figured out I was a bad interviewer? When a guy I was interviewing asked "do you want to know anything about me?" at the end. I'd spent the whole time telling him what the job entails to see if he thought he could do it. I hadn't spent a minute finding out about his strengths or what he brought to the table.

That was the day I examined the way I interviewed and changed it drastically.

blaise
08-15-2011, 05:27 PM
example.

I've seen that. Someone might look at a resume and say, "You've done a lot of __," and then just sit there.
It's also a tactic I know salesmen to use from time to time. I've done it myself. You just sort of let the conversation sit there quietly for a minute and often times the other person will reveal something they may not have. People get uncomfortable with silence and they think they're supposed to do or say something.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 05:27 PM
example.

I work at a national news hub, so it's really easy for me to make a statement about something going on in the news. I'll often find something that's happened that morning to get a feel for how "tuned in" they are to current events, or their personal feelings about something in particular.

I don't really have an "stock" statements, I tend to play it by ear, case by case.

I tend to use the silent tactic much more frequently after they've answered a question. If I just sit there and maintain eye contact - and it only takes 2-3 seconds of silence - most people will continue to talk.

burt
08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
And thanks to this thread, I just set up an interview for a job, this Wednesday. I know how to interview from both sides, and I need a job. I told the gentleman that I had dropped off an application and resume, and asked if we could schedule an interview tomorrow. He stated that tomorrow would be bad because he would be short staffed in management. So I immediately asked about the next day. He said that should work, so I suggested I call first thing in the morning to schedule a time when we could both be available. He said that would would be fine. I hope he appreciates my initiattive as well as the fact that I closed him on an interview.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I've seen that. Someone might look at a resume and say, "You've done a lot of __," and then just sit there.
It's also a tactic I know salesmen to use from time to time. I've done it myself. You just sort of let the conversation sit there quietly for a minute and often times the other person will reveal something they may not have. People get uncomfortable with silence and they think they're supposed to do or say something.

That's a good example, I've done that. Though I normally go a little higher stress than that, finding a weak area in their resume and bring it up.

burt
08-15-2011, 05:30 PM

A tactic to be used ONLY in the closing on figures. Otherwise, it is not good to make the customer uncomfortable.

burt
08-15-2011, 05:31 PM
That's a good example, I've done that. Though I normally go a little higher stress than that, finding a weak area in their resume and bring it up.

Ouch..... but it has been done to me.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
And thanks to this thread, I just set up an interview for a job, this Wednesday. I know how to interview from both sides, and I need a job. I told the gentleman that I had dropped off an application and resume, and asked if we could schedule an interview tomorrow. He stated that tomorrow would be bad because he would be short staffed in management. So I immediately asked about the next day. He said that should work, so I suggested I call first thing in the morning to schedule a time when we could both be available. He said that would would be fine. I hope he appreciates my initiattive as well as the fact that I closed him on an interview.

You go man. Good luck.

MahiMike
08-15-2011, 06:10 PM
I had an ALL DAY interview last Friday. I was excited because I had previously had a 1 hour phone interview and did very well. After the morning interviews, we go to lunch with the IT dept. The ENTIRE dept. 3 of us and the boss. The other 2 were kids doing networking and desktop support. Somehow I was supposed to be their entire development team. Every director I met with had a list of issues they wanted done. Did I mention this was SAP development and they have the entire suite? Crazy. I was pissed. By the end of the day, I think they realized I wasn't interested.

burt
08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
You go man. Good luck.

Thanks. Times are hard.

BigRedChief
08-15-2011, 07:41 PM
You would not like to interview with me. I like to engage people in conversation, I like to find out a little about them personally. I wish I could win the lottery and not have to work for a living, but, since I do have to work for a living and since I get to hire the people I work with, I want to make sure I don't hire an asshole. If you can't have a conversation with me, I don't want to spend 8 plus hours a day around you.I'm responsible for setting up all the interviews and the hiring in my department these days. I'm probably averaging 4-5 interviews a week. These are very highly techincal grill jobs despite our efforts to make it seem not so much like a grilling, it is what it is. In my field you know its coming in the interview process.

I don't have to like the people I work with, whether I want to go after work and have a beer together. The work that I do is too serious and important to hire based on them being like me or at least tolerable to be around. Can you work successfully with others is the only personality barometer I care about.

But that being said, most people want to work around other people that they like. Its an understandable trait.

BigRedChief
08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
A tactic to be used ONLY in the closing on figures. Otherwise, it is not good to make the customer uncomfortable.As I'm sure that you aware...that tactic will also backfire on you.

HonestChieffan
08-15-2011, 09:29 PM
When I was recruiting one of the hardest things to do was to act interested in a candidate who in the first 30 seconds confirmed what I saw on the resume and I knew the applicant was going to get the old reject letter. You try to find something, anything to discuss so you fill the allotted time.

I understand the desire to blame the recruiter but go interview at MU, KU, KState, Oklahoma State and deal with the best of the best and the other 90% and try to make them all feel like they have a shot...most don't.

Phobia
08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I interviewed a guy on the phone last week for 4 minutes. Told him to show up prepared to work the next morning and we'd give him a shot. He didn't show up. I don't think I'm going to hire him.

I am hiring painters though. So, if you know somebody looking to make some money for some seasonal work, send them my way.

cdcox
08-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I've been involved in a lot of recruiting for faculty positions the last few years. Our interviews typically start the night before with dinner, then extend all through the next day. Overall they are pretty low key. However, occasionally you will realize in the first 10 minutes that the interviewee isn't a good fit, but you are still stuck with them for dinner and all the next day. Good times.

burt
08-15-2011, 11:51 PM
As I'm sure that you aware...that tactic will also backfire on you.

Has backfired. All negotiating tactics carry some risk.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 09:53 AM
One more interview today.

I don't mind having a conversation at all. These guys weren't conversing. They were rambling.

LOCOChief
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM

It's kind of rude.

Oh so you make the rules for the interview when you're the applicant?

Interesting.

Radar Chief
08-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Got to love the eye to eye contact with the interviewer as he leans in. lol.

I like the uncomfortable little noise he makes at the end when he realizes this guy is crazy but he doesn’t want to screw up the interview. Cracks me up every time I watch it.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh so you make the rules for the interview when you're the applicant?

Interesting.

No, I follow them and complain about them afterwards.