PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Ron Paul Remains Media Poison

Chocolate Hog
08-15-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61412.html

I admit I do not fully understand Ron Paul and his beliefs. But I do understand when a guy gets shafted, and Ron Paul just got shafted.

On Saturday, the Ames Straw Poll was conducted in Iowa amid huge media interest and scrutiny. The results were enough to force one Republican candidate, Tim Pawlenty, out of the race, and catapult another, Michele Bachmann, into the “top tier.”

Continue Reading
Text Size
-+reset Listen
Ron Paul at the Ames Straw Poll

Latest on POLITICO
Roemer aims for N.H. ad buy
Durbin: Duckworth like a daughter
York: Bachmann query a 'human moment'
Rick Perry joins food-on-a-stick club
Social Security must be preserved
Obama blasts GOP presidential field
POLITICO 44

There are so many “top tier” stories in the media today that I can barely count them, let alone read them all, and Bachmann is in all of them by virtue of her victory at Ames. The rest of the tier is made up of two candidates who skipped Ames, Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.

As The Daily Beast put it: “The new top tier of Bachmann, Perry, and Romney — created by Bachmann’s Iowa straw poll win, Perry’s entry into the race and Romney’s lead so far in many national and state polls — has unleashed torrents of talk about the reshaped race.”

Paul’s name was not mentioned in this piece nor in many others. A Wall Street Journal editorial Monday magnanimously granted Paul’s showing in the straw poll a parenthetical dismissal: “(Libertarian Ron Paul, who has no chance to win the nomination, finished a close second.)”

But “close” does not fully describe Paul’s second-place finish. Paul lost to Bachmann by nine-tenths of one percentage point, or 152 votes out of 16,892 cast.

If it had been an election, such a result would almost certainly have triggered a recount. It was not an election, however, and that is my point. Straw polls are supposed to tell us, like a straw tossed into the air, which way the wind is blowing.

And any fair assessment of Ames, therefore, would have said the winds of the Republican Party are blowing toward both Bachmann and Paul.

Nonsense, some would say. Straw polls are just organized bribery, with the campaigns buying the tickets and distributing them to supporters. (And, in fact, this is what I wrote before Ames.)

What they really show, many argue, is not where the philosophical heart of the party is, but the organizational abilities of the candidates.

Fine, I’ll buy that. But why didn’t Paul get the same credit for his organizational abilities as Bachmann did for hers?

I am far from a Libertarian. I believe big government is swell as long as it does big things to help the common good. But after Ames, it was as if Paul had been sentenced to the Phantom Zone.

Bachmann appeared on five Sunday shows following Ames. Paul appeared on none. POLITICO’s Kasie Hunt was one of the few reporters to do a separate story on Paul’s showing at the straw poll, but to most of the media he remained an exotic, unworthy of attention.

And I don’t disagree that some of his beliefs — legalizing heroin, the right of states to secede — are strikingly peculiar (though he has been elected to a congressional district in Texas 12 times). But if Bachmann’s victory at Ames was good enough to gain her enormous publicity and top-tier status, why was Paul’s virtual tie good enough only to relegate him to being ignored?

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61412.html#ixzz1V8OMXt3E

orange
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Ron Paul Remains Media Poison

Not everywhere:

Chocolate Hog
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Not everywhere:

First the muslim newspaper now the huffington post. Is Paul a uniter?

orange
08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
:titus: The Huffington Post - your Rock of Gibraltor for fair, truthful reporting!

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Ron Paul is a nice, old, white guy. He's not handsome, he doesn't have a feel-good story to his name, he doesn't say anything mean about people. He just babbles on about financial stuff that not many people care about.

He's media-boring.

evenfall
08-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Not everywhere:

There you have it. When you know who HuffPo is cheering for in a Republican race, you know all you need to know.

orange
08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
There you have it. When you know who HuffPo is cheering for in a Republican race, you know all you need to know.

That's your theory, eh? They put someone on the front page because they're "cheering for" them?

I guess they'd be equally happy to see Rick or Michelle nominated, then.

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW

tmh
08-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Reading this while watching a Neocon nash him on TV. Paul scares people in Big goverment, both Rs and Ds, simply because he speaks truth. Truth in politics is deadly to the establishment. The media in dealing with politics doesnt look for truth but the perception of truth. Which is why they will ine up guest hosts to say why he cant Ron Paul is unelectabe, why he cant win. No matter which canaidate gets elected, except for Paul, we will be carried down further to our eventual end.

Dont get me wrong, Ron by himself cant turn it around, but we would get a short reprive from this endless march of destruction we are on. And hopfully, he would make the country think a little bit.

The other thing about Ron is because he is a libiterian, parts of his policies hit home with al people. Ending wars, sound money, fiscal discipine. Anyone in politics who speak truth cannot get elected, period.

Mr. Kotter
08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Paul is an old man who's represents the lunatic fringe. Nothing more. A non-starter.

mlyonsd
08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Paul is an old man who's represents the lunatic fringe. Nothing more. A non-starter.Unfortunately for you you're more the lunatic than he is when making predictions/judgements. I'll highlight the ones for you he was right about.

Predictions
by Congressman Ron Paul, MD (http://www.house.gov/paul)

Our government intervention in the economy and in the private affairs of citizens, and the internal affairs of foreign countries, leads to uncertainty and many unintended consequences. Here are some of the consequences about which we should be concerned.

I predict U.S. taxpayers will pay to rebuild Palestine, both the West Bank and the Gaza, as well as Afghanistan. U.S. taxpayers paid to bomb these areas, so we will be expected to rebuild them.

Peace, of sorts, will come to the Middle East, but will be short-lived. There will be big promises of more U.S. money and weapons flowing to Israel and to Arab countries allied with the United States.

U.S. troops and others will be used to monitor the "peace."

In time, an oil boycott will be imposed, with oil prices soaring to historic highs.

Current Israeli-United States policies will solidify Arab Muslim nations in their efforts to avenge the humiliation of the Palestinians. That will include those Muslim nations that in the past have fought against each other.

Some of our moderate Arab allies will be overthrown by Islamic fundamentalists.

The U.N. will continue to condemn, through resolutions, Israeli-U.S. policies in the Middle East, and they will be ignored.

Some European countries will clandestinely support the Muslim countries and their anti-Israel pursuits.

China, ironically assisted by American aid, much more openly will sell to militant Muslims the weapons they want, and will align herself with the Arab nations.

The United States, with Tony Blair as head cheerleader, will attack Iraq without proper authority, and a major war, the largest since World War II, will result. (I highlight this one because it was close)

Major moves will be made by China, India, Russia, and Pakistan in Central Asia to take advantage of the chaos for the purpose of grabbing land, resources, and strategic advantages sought after for years.

The Karzai government will fail, and U.S. military presence will end in Afghanistan.

An international dollar crisis will dramatically boost interest rates in the United States.

Price inflation, with a major economic downturn, will decimate U.S. Federal Government finances, with exploding deficits and uncontrolled spending.

Federal Reserve policy will continue at an expanding rate, with massive credit expansion, which will make the dollar crisis worse.

Gold will be seen as an alternative to paper money as it returns to its historic role as money.

Erosion of civil liberties here at home will continue as our government responds to political fear in dealing with the terrorist threat by making generous use of the powers obtained with the Patriot Act.

The draft will be reinstated, causing domestic turmoil and resentment.

Many American military personnel and civilians will be killed in the coming conflict.

The leaders of whichever side loses the war will be hauled into and tried before the International Criminal Court for war crimes.

The United States will not officially lose the war, but neither will we win. Our military and political leaders will not be tried by the International Criminal Court.

The Congress and the President will shift radically toward expanding the size and scope of the Federal Government. This will satisfy both the liberals and the conservatives.

Military and police powers will grow, satisfying the conservatives. The welfare state, both domestic and international, will expand, satisfying the liberals. Both sides will endorse military adventurism overseas.

This is the most important of my predictions: Policy changes could prevent all of the previous predictions from occurring. Unfortunately, that will not occur. In due course, the Constitution will continue to be steadily undermined and the American Republic further weakened.

During the next decade, the American people will become poorer and less free, while they become more dependent on the government for economic security.

The war will prove to be divisive, with emotions and hatred growing between the various factions and special interests that drive our policies in the Middle East.

Agitation from more class warfare will succeed in dividing us domestically, and believe it or not, I expect lobbyists will thrive more than ever during the dangerous period of chaos.
<SMALL>http://www.lewrockwell.com/photos/ronpaul.jpg</SMALL>I have no timetable for these predictions, but just in case, keep them around and look at them in 5 to 10 years. Let us hope and pray that I am wrong on all accounts. If so, I will be very pleased.

April 26, 2002
Dr. Ron Paul is a Republican member of Congress from Texas.

Yeah, he's an old lunatic all right.

Mr. Kotter
08-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately for you you're more the lunatic than he is when making predictions/judgements. I'll highlight the ones for you he was right about.

Americans won't elect geratric Nostradamus to be President. He may be honest and, often, right; the bottom-line is he is not ELECTABLE--then, or especially now.

So quit dreamin', and start hoping that the party can do better than Perry. Otherwise, the GOP is dead in the water....and Obama, miraculously, wins a second term.

I'm open to the GOP finding someone NOT in the mix right now; but none of the above on the GOP side will mean a historic embarrassment of epic magnitude for the GOP--for it's inability to field a candidate who can beat a very vulnerable incumbent.

Republican incompetence, it appears, is gonna trump a very beatable Obama. Heh.

mlyonsd
08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Americans won't elect geratric Nostradamus to be President. He may be honest and, often, right; the bottom-line is he is not ELECTABLE--then, or especially now.

So quit dreamin', and start hoping that the party can do better than Perry. Otherwise, the GOP is dead in the water....and Obama, miraculously, wins a second term.

I'm open to the GOP finding someone NOT in the mix right now; but none of the above on the GOP side will mean a historic embarrassment of epic magnitude for the GOP--for it's inability to field a candidate who can beat a very vulnerable incumbent.

Republican incompetence, it appears, is gonna trump a very beatable Obama. Heh.Well at least it appears you backed down from the "lunatic" mantra.

I know Paul is unelectable now. It will take our country pile driving over a cliff into oblivion for the majority of common folk to wake up and understand conservative economics.

Don't worry, we're heading that way and we'll be able to discuss it at length after it happens. I'll come into Walmart when you're 95 and give you an I told you so.

Chocolate Hog
08-15-2011, 09:06 PM

Republican incompetence, it appears, is gonna trump a very beatable Obama. Heh.

LMAO

BucEyedPea
08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Don't worry, we're heading that way and we'll be able to discuss it at length after it happens. I'll come into Walmart when you're 95 and give you an I told you so.

LMAO

BucEyedPea
08-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Americans won't elect geratric Nostradamus to be President.

Geriatric Nostradamus? LMAO

Dave Lane
08-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Ron Paul is a nice, old, white guy. He's not handsome, he doesn't have a feel-good story to his name, he doesn't say anything mean about people. He just babbles on about financial stuff that not many people care about.

He's media-boring.

and borderline retarded with his political views.

BucEyedPea
08-15-2011, 10:18 PM

Obviously, you wouldn't be able to debate him because he'd mop the floor with you as well as most of his supporters who happen to be more knowledgeable and better informed than you.

“We can forgive a child that is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy in life is when men are afraid of the light” -Plato

FishingRod
08-16-2011, 03:56 PM

For an old guy with little charm or Charisma he sure scares the crap out of the old POS Republicans and Democrats alike. He is the Anti Obama, Anti Clinton and Anti Reagan. He doesn’t go out and baffle with bullshit but speaks of ideas. 4 years of him could do a great deal of good for this country but, it would be too dangerous to the status quo. I mean what if people started thinking instead of giggling at talking points and one liners.

Dave Lane
08-16-2011, 04:14 PM
The only good thing of him being president is absolutely nothing would get done at all. No one would go along with anything he wants done. Maybe the wars would end which would be awesome.

BucEyedPea
08-16-2011, 04:18 PM
The only good thing of him being president is absolutely nothing would get done at all. No one would go along with anything he wants done. Maybe the wars would end which would be awesome.

Other than the wars, which I agree with, what is wrong with the rest? Especially with R control of the House and hopefully more. Sounds like a win/win where he'd not get everything but enough sanity would prevail on spending...like reforming the process and some true bona fide cuts but not all he'd want. He already says he's not throwing people onto the streets who have become dependent. He'd use the money saved from war and military to prevent that.

Stewie
08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
The bank-controlled media hate Ron Paul just as much as they hate gold. They both shine a bright light on the absolute corruption concerning all things Wall Street, central banking and incestuous politics/money.

orange
08-16-2011, 04:38 PM
The bank-controlled media hate Ron Paul just as much as they hate gold. They both shine a bright light on the absolute corruption concerning all things Wall Street, central banking and incestuous politics/money.

Banks are People, my friend! - MR orange

BucEyedPea
08-16-2011, 04:39 PM

So is media. Your point?

Banks, the big bailed out ones, are evil people. You forgot to say that.

Stewie
08-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Just a few people. :D

CoMoChief
08-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Paul would sure as shit get more Congress support than Obummer.

donkhater
08-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Hope the video works. A hilarious take by Jon Stewart:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/08/jon-stewart-whats-with-tvs-bias-against-ron-paul/243683/

BucEyedPea
08-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Paul would sure as shit get more Congress support than Obummer.

I think so...but there could be a fight on how much military to defund.