PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Looking back from the 2006 draft to now...just how good are we at drafting?

RedThat
08-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Thought I create a thread about this because I am interested in seeing how our draft picks panned out over the years. It's a pretty long thread so I ask for your patience. please bear with me.

I'd like to know what rounds of the draft we have been successful and where weve actually flopped. Also, Which years did we draft best? I think its pretty safe to say that it usually takes about three years time to see or judge how our teams past drafts have panned out. Its fair that we can make judgements from drafts 2006-2008, and possibly 2009? 2010 and 2011 on the other hand may be too early but we can have some indication as to how those players may possibly be?

I'll start off by posting the drafts from the Herm era:

RD1 20 Tamba Hali DE Penn State-He actually saved us from this draft. Without Tamba this draft would of been horrible.

RD2 54 Bernard Pollard DB Purdue-Meh. Nothing more than a backup/special teamer. Not a good pick for the 2nd round though.

RD3 85 Brodie Croyle QB Alabama-Not the franchise quarterback many were looking for.

RD5 154 Marcus Maxey CB Miami (Fla.)-Nothing.

RD6 186 Tre' Stallings G Mississippi-Nothing.

RD6 190 Jeff Webb WR San Diego State-Nothing. Special teams? Maybe.

RD7 228 Jarrad Page DB UCLA-Meh. Nothing special. A backup/special teamer.

RD1 23 Dwayne Bowe WR Louisiana State-Excellent pick! Great job Herm and Carl.

RD2 54 Turk McBride DE Tennessee-Bust

RD3 82 Tank Tyler DT North Carolina State-Bust

RD5 148 Kolby Smith RB Louisville-Nothing special. Outside of his 1 150 yard game I didn't see anything else spectacular. I thought he could of been a decent back though? I will say, he is better than jackie battle and would probably make a good #3 RB on someones depth chart.

RD5 160 Justin Medlock K UCLA-He is in the CFL now so not a good pick.

RD6 196 Herb Taylor T Texas Christian-I thought he could make a good backup tackle? Merely a project who could of developed into something but they never gave him a chance.

RD7 231 Michael Allan TE Whitworth-Nothing.

RD1 5 Glenn Dorsey DT Louisiana State-Never really lived up to the hype to be the dominating player many thought he would be. At #5 overall not great value, but noneless, a decent pick and turned out to be a pretty good role player for us.

RD1 15 Branden Albert T Virginia-Same as Dorsey. Never really lived up to the hype. At this point he still has a ways to go before being that bookend LT. He has some value but he may be better suited to play another position along the OL. Albert is still a fixture on the Chiefs OL which makes this pick a pretty decent pick imo.

RD2 35 Brandon Flowers CB Virginia Tech-Excellent pickup and great value in the second round. Looks like he will lock down the corner position for years.

RD3 73 Jamaal Charles RB Texas-The absolute steal of this draft. Great pick in the third round.

RD3 76 Brad Cottam TE Tennessee-Nothing.

RD3 82 DaJuan Morgan SAF North Carolina State-Nothing.

RD4 105 Will Franklin WR Missouri-Nothing.

RD5 140 Brandon Carr CB Grand Valley State-A true gem found in the fifth round by the Chiefs and is only getting better with each passing day. He like Flowers looks like a guy that will lock down the corner position for years.

RD6 170 Barry Richardson T Clemson-Pretty good value in the sixth round. Will he end being a starter and lock down that right tackle position? that remains to be seen. Richardson still gives the Chiefs a good backup tackle though.

RD6 182 Kevin Robinson WR Utah State-Nothing.

RD7 210 Brian Johnston DE Gardner-Webb-Nothing.

RD7 239 Mike Merritt TE Central Florida-Nothing.

RD1 3 Tyson Jackson DE Louisiana State-Im not sure. But, he looks to be pretty disappointing thus far.

RD3 67 Alex Magee DT Purdue-Bust

RD4 102 Donald Washington DB Ohio State-Bust

RD5 139 Colin Brown T Missouri-Nothing

RD6 175 Quinten Lawrence WR McNeese State-Still a project player who looks to be on the verge of turning out to nothing.

RD7 212 Javarris Williams RB Tennessee State-Nothing.

RD7 237 Jake O'Connell TE Miami (Ohio)-Meh. I could only see a third string backup TE out of this guy. Nothing more.

RD7 256 Ryan Succop K South Carolina-Great pick in the 7th round. should be the starting kicker for years to come. How much trouble did we have finding a kicker before nabbing this guy in the 7th?

RD1 5 Eric Berry SS Tennessee-Great pick. Looks like he will be a really good one.

RD2 36 Dexter McCluster WR Mississippi-jury is out. Im not so sure yet. I see a role player at most with this guy.

RD2 50 Javier Arenas DB Alabama-so far, good role player. could return kicks, and is a pretty good nickel back. Not really the kind of guy you would take in the 2nd round but hey at least he can contribute to the team in some way.

RD3 68 Jon Asamoah G Illinois-don't know yet. jury is out.

RD3 93 Tony Moeaki TE Iowa -Great pick in the third round and will only get better imo

RD4 142 Cameron Sheffield LB Troy-jury is out. injuries hurt this guy. we'll see.

RD5 136 Kendrick Lewis FS Mississippi-too early to tell. still a bit raw in his game.

RD1 26 Jonathan Baldwin WR Pittsburgh-jury is out

RD2 55 Rodney Hudson C Florida State-jury is out

RD3 70 Justin Houston LB Georgia-jury is out

RD3 86 Allen Bailey DE Miami (Fla.)-jury is out. but it wouldn't surprise me if he competes with TJack and gives him a run for his money.

RD4 118 Jalil Brown DB Colorado-jury is out

RD5 135 Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa-jury is out

RD5 140 Gabe Miller LB Oregon State-jury is out

RD6 199 Jerrell Powe NT Mississippi-jury is out

RD7 223 Shane Bannon FB Yale-jury is out

*2008 draft was without a doubt our best draft. Lots of core players there.

crispystl420
08-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Kolby Smith had a 150 yard game? I don't remember that. Not saying I disbelieve you just saying WOW

Detoxing
08-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't know about YOU guys, But I am awesome.

Detoxing
08-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Kolby Smith had a 150 yard game? I don't remember that. Not saying I disbelieve you just saying WOW

Against the Raiders.

keg in kc
08-15-2011, 06:40 PM
You severely undersell Dorsey.

MIAdragon
08-15-2011, 06:40 PM

It was he best receiving game as well, with 34 yrds

MIAdragon
08-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Really? You think he's an impact type player?

oaklandhater
08-15-2011, 06:43 PM
I disagree with you on Albert.

but on the other hand looking back at the 09 draft looks like a trainwreck worst then most Carl peterson years this does not bodewell...

BigMeatballDave
08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Really? You think he's an impact type player?Huh? You don't think he is? You should watch his play more closely.

keg in kc
08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Really? You think he's an impact type player?No question about it. He's 1b to Hali's 1a. It just happens that he doesn't play a glamour position, the way this particular defense is schemed. He's been the only dangerous player on the line in the base defense the last two year. Hell, I have to admit that I hadn't even stopped to consider what impact Gregg might have on him this year. There's somebody else that lines have to worry about now, it can't all be focus on Dorsey and Hali.

Back to the original post, there's not much point in going further back than '06. The drafting was horrendous under Peterson, going as far back as 1994 (he was better 1989-1993). It was basically more of the 1 or 2 player stuff you see in 2006 and 7. There was the occasional big hit mixed in with basically round after round of role players, projects that never panned out or outright misses.

That drafting was exactly the reason Pioli came into the situation he did in 2009. He was extremely fortunate to have a very un-Carl-like draft in 2008, along with Hali and Bowe to build the team around. I shudder to think what it would have been like (or would be like right now) if that hadn't happened. Either way, there's a reason so many players were cut and cycled through that first year, and why so many rookies were depended on last year and will be again this year.

Molitoth
08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I recall Page and Pollard having some good moments/games.

oaklandhater
08-15-2011, 06:56 PM
No question about it. He's 1b to Hali's 1a. It just happens that he doesn't play a glamour position, the way this particular defense is schemed. He's been the only dangerous player on the line in the base defense the last two year. Hell, I have to admit that I hadn't even stopped to consider what impact Gregg might have on him this year. There's somebody else that lines have to worry about now, it can't all be focus on Dorsey and Hali.

Back to the original post, there's not much point in going further back than '06. The drafting was horrendous under Peterson, going as far back as 1994 (he was better 1989-1993). It was basically more of the 1 or 2 player stuff you see in 2006 and 7. There was the occasional big hit mixed in with basically round after round of role players, projects that never panned out or outright misses.

That drafting was exactly the reason Pioli came into the situation he did in 2009. He was extremely fortunate to have a very un-Carl-like draft in 2008, along with Hali and Bowe to build the team around. I shudder to think what it would have been like (or would be like right now) if that hadn't happened. Either way, there's a reason so many players were cut and cycled through that first year, and why so many rookies were depended on last year and will be again this year.

I think the 09 draft was such $hit becuase pioli and haley were not brought in till late so the chiefs did not have alot of time to scout the players out.

oaklandhater
08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I recall Page and Pollard having some good moments/games.

For where he was picked Page was a really good pick.

BigMeatballDave
08-15-2011, 07:01 PM
No question about it. He's 1b to Hali's 1a. It just happens that he doesn't play a glamour position, the way this particular defense is schemed. He's been the only dangerous player on the line in the base defense the last two year. Hell, I have to admit that I hadn't even stopped to consider what impact Gregg might have on him this year. There's somebody else that lines have to worry about now, it can't all be focus on Dorsey and Hali.

That drafting was exactly the reason Pioli came into the situation he did in 2009. He was extremely fortunate to have a very un-Carl-like draft in 2008, along with Hali and Bowe to build the team around. I shudder to think what it would have been like (or would be like right now) if that hadn't happened. Either way, there's a reason so many players were cut and cycled through that first year, and why so many rookies were depended on last year and will be again this year.Agreed.

If they can get some solid, consistent play from the NT position, Dorsey will fucking go off.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Well, they have done pretty well in my eyes with all the young talent on this team. I would like to see some of the upper echelon teams for comparison though. The team easily has the most young talent in the division.

ChiefsCountry
08-15-2011, 07:08 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197308

BigMeatballDave
08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197308LMAO Yikes!

SNR
08-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Jarrad Page a backup/special teamer? He was a starter his rookie year and stayed a starter until Haley got fed up with his shit.

Whether he was on good teams or not, he produced for this franchise and logged a lot of INTs and big plays. Gave up big plays, too, sure. But that does NOT make him a backup/special teamer.

keg in kc
08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Jarrad Page a backup/special teamer? He was a starter his rookie year and stayed a starter until Haley got fed up with his shit.

Whether he was on good teams or not, he produced for this franchise and logged a lot of INTs and big plays. Gave up big plays, too, sure. But that does NOT make him a backup/special teamer.He actually won a couple of games with late plays as I recall. Raiders, maybe?

For a bit of time he looked like a steal, and was a much better player than Pollard for us.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-15-2011, 07:18 PM

soooo much fail in there.

SNR
08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
He actually won a couple of games with late plays as I recall. Raiders, maybe?

For a bit of time he looked like a steal, and was a much better player than Pollard for us.That's the way I've always thought of him. Greg Wesley was known for giving this team timely INTs to win close games, too. Both those guys made a lot of plays for us.

I totally understand why the new coaches didn't want them around anymore. But calling them backups? That's like me calling Matt Cassel a backup QB just because I don't like the guy.

BossChief
08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Pollard and Page both had interceptions this week.

(dont read into that too much, it was just pointing out useless info)

JASONSAUTO
08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
That's the way I've always thought of him. Greg Wesley was known for giving this team timely INTs to win close games, too. Both those guys made a lot of plays for us.

I totally understand why the new coaches didn't want them around anymore. But calling them backups? That's like me calling Matt Cassel a backup QB just because I don't like the guy.

Does page start somewhere right now?
Posted via Mobile Device

veist
08-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Page signed a 1 year deal with the Eagles, almost certainly for backup money.

Dicky McElephant
08-15-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't know about you guys but I think the jury is still out.

notorious
08-15-2011, 09:56 PM

This place has gone way too soft lately.

We were some mean mother ****ers back then. I guess only winning one time out of 204 games will do that to a fanbase.

HotRoute
08-15-2011, 10:11 PM
RD5 136 Kendrick Lewis FS Mississippi-too early to tell. still a bit raw in his game.

Ton of potential with this kid.

HotRoute
08-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't know about you guys but I think the jury is still out.

Can't tell for sure yet, The jury is still out on this.

Phobia
08-15-2011, 10:16 PM
RD5 154 Marcus Maxey CB Miami (Fla.)-Nothing.

Had that guy as a bust the first day I saw him in Chiefs pads. Still have no idea how he played at Miami or got himself drafted.

spades
08-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Agreed.

If they can get some solid, consistent play from the NT position, Dorsey will ****ing go off.

Yeah well. That is not going to happen.

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Yeah well. That is not going to happen.Thanks. That was informative.

Chiefs=Good
08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Jury is still out.

Renegade
08-16-2011, 07:40 AM
If the jury worked for me, they would have been fired by now for being out so much