PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Guess who else is from Waterloo?

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Yours truly. It's cool to here about my hometown on the national news. Even if it is because of a politician I'm not particularly fond of. Nevertheless, I have to say I do feel a connection to her.

Pitt Gorilla
08-15-2011, 08:07 PM
They had the big Republican dinner at the Electric Park Ballroom yesterday (with Bachman, Perry, et al. in attendance). LOL. I mean, could they have found a dumpier joint?

mlyonsd
08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Waterloo Blackhawks suck.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
They had the big Republican dinner at the Electric Park Ballroom yesterday (with Bachman, Perry, et al. in attendance). LOL. I mean, could they have found a dumpier joint?

Those Tea Party types are frugal ones. I've never been to the EPB, though.

Jenson71
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Do they? I don't pay much attention to them, or the Bucks (baseball). I used to clean the Young Arena after the games though.

HonestChieffan
08-15-2011, 08:20 PM
John Deere.

Jaric
08-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Yours truly. It's cool to here about my hometown on the national news. Even if it is because of a politician I'm not particularly fond of. Nevertheless, I have to say I do feel a connection to her.

In what sense?

Pitt Gorilla
08-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Waterloo Blackhawks suck.YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.

SNR
08-16-2011, 12:08 AM
I had a job offer at Northern Iowa many years ago. Almost took it, too. Cedar Falls/Waterloo seems like a nice area.

fan4ever
08-16-2011, 01:09 AM

Born there myself Jenson. My dad was a foreman at the foundry at the John Deere plant. He died of a heart attack when I was a little kid and we moved out here to AZ. Still have a lot of family there though. Unfortunately they lost there way and became Democrats. ;)

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 05:14 AM
I had a job offer at Northern Iowa many years ago. Almost took it, too. Cedar Falls/Waterloo seems like a nice area.

I really like Waterloo, but there are some broken down areas of the town, and I think it's generally considered that Cedar Falls and the more suburban areas are nice, and Waterloo people otherwise a bunch of riff raff. Of course, Cedar Falls people should really just be glad that Waterloo does them the kind service of separating their town from Evansdale, whose population might be entirely composed of people whose mothers drank nuclear-tampered water during the fetal stage.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 05:16 AM
In what sense?

Just kind of a neighborly sense, like I want to see her do well and bring some good to the city and not screw up.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 05:17 AM
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.

LMAO

There are some intense Black Hawk fans.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Born there myself Jenson. My dad was a foreman at the foundry at the John Deere plant. He died of a heart attack when I was a little kid and we moved out here to AZ. Still have a lot of family there though. Unfortunately they lost there way and became Democrats. ;)

Democrats, huh? If you'd like, for a small price, I can vandalize their political yard signs next summer.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 05:22 AM
John Deere.

I don't think so, but that would fit in my next of my Waterloo thread series: "Guess what else is from Waterloo"

Elwaysux
08-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Graduate of UNI and my sister in law is the editor of the Waterloo Courier, the local paper. Glad to see Iowa getting good press and especially Cedar Falls/Waterloo. I'm originally from near Sioux City but I know I will never see good press about that hell hole.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 06:43 AM
I also lived in Dubuque when I was younger, which is where Chuck Todd and Tom Vilsack talked from this morning on Morning Joe. I love Dubuque. One of my top cities for settling down in.

mlyonsd
08-16-2011, 07:40 AM
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.ROFL FWIW I've been watching Musketeer/Blackhawk games since the mid 70's.

Jaric
08-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Just kind of a neighborly sense, like I want to see her do well and bring some good to the city and not screw up.

:thumb:

BucEyedPea
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
I also lived in Dubuque when I was younger, which is where Chuck Todd and Tom Vilsack talked from this morning on Morning Joe. I love Dubuque. One of my top cities for settling down in.

My kid goes to Boone, Stratford and Ames in the summer. Well, not anymore for Ames these past two years.

vailpass
08-16-2011, 10:58 AM

The 'Loo is a shit hole.

Graystoke
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Actually Electric Park Ballroom has made that retro-cool kinda jump. Yeah its dumpy, but in a fun kinda way. If it was good enough for Cocco Taylor its good enough for me.

FYP.

I don't think so, but that would fit in my next of my Waterloo thread series: "Guess what else is from Waterloo"

The Sulivan Brothers, Pats Tavern?

The 'Loo is a shit hole.

Ya know I kinda agree. It is a run down, shit tired town, where the politics are all fucked up.
But what do I know. I live in Cedar Falls and work for the City of Waterloo...haha

vailpass
08-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Ya know I kinda agree. It is a run down, shit tired town, where the politics are all ****ed up.
But what do I know. I live in Cedar Falls and work for the City of Waterloo...haha

There aren't many shitty parts of Iowa. Waterloo is one of them. Quad Cities, part of DSM, the 10-block hood area of Cedar Rapids between 1st and 7th Ave. where the Chicago animals have moved in, that's about all I can think of.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Waterloo isn't shitty. It's not clean, though. And it's not booming. It's at kind of a standstill.

It needs a lot of work, definitely.

vailpass
08-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Waterloo isn't shitty. It's not clean, though. And it's not booming. It's at kind of a standstill.

Sorry, that was a generalization that obviously doesn't apply to the whole town.

Pitt Gorilla
08-16-2011, 12:45 PM

It needs a lot of work, definitely.Waterloo is a neat town. John Deere is doing very well. There are some less than nice parts, but it's still a decent place to live (although I also live in CF).

Graystoke
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM

See that is just it in a nutshell. The East Side and now the West side have these fantastic old houses that could be stunning. But they just get crapped on. People don't care.
Less then a block from downtown City Hall are houses boarded up, yards with junk all over.
That just doesn't give Waterloo a good perception.
Name a junky area in Cedar Falls? Perhaps the NC?

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 01:02 PM
See that is just it in a nutshell. The East Side and now the West side have these fantastic old houses that could be stunning. But they just get crapped on. People don't care.
Less then a block from downtown City Hall are houses boarded up, yards with junk all over.
That just doesn't give Waterloo a good perception.
Name a junky area in Cedar Falls? Perhaps the NC?

The Cedar Falls ghetto is behind the College Square Mall, apparently.

Graystoke
08-16-2011, 01:05 PM
The Cedar Falls ghetto is behind the College Square Mall, apparently.

Really? I didn't know that. The Apartments?

I don't venture to far from downtown CF.

Jenson71
08-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Really? I didn't know that. The Apartments?

I don't venture to far from downtown CF.

Yep. That's just what I hear. I like downtown CF. Love Los Cabos, but I didn't spend too much time there outside of classes and school activities. I rarely even went to the Hill.

fan4ever
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
The 'Loo is a shit hole.

Hey, hey, hey! It's our sh*thole.

I've always wanted to buy the old Rath meat packing plant right there on the river and try to turn it into something...

fan4ever
08-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Democrats, huh? If you'd like, for a small price, I can vandalize their political yard signs next summer.

No, they're full blown democrats by now...too lazy to have yard signs.

Graystoke
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey, hey, hey! It's our sh*thole.

I've always wanted to buy the old Rath meat packing plant right there on the river and try to turn it into something...

That would be cool indeed. Some guy from Chicago wants the Old Rath Administration Bld to make condo's out of AKA Winterbottom.

My Mom has old pictures of the Administration Bldg. Place was full of Cherry Woodwork. When it closed I heard the employee's stripped the place down.

fan4ever
08-16-2011, 01:22 PM
That would be cool indeed. Some guy from Chicago wants the Old Rath Administration Bld to make condo's out of AKA Winterbottom.

My Mom has old pictures of the Administration Bldg. Place was full of Cherry Woodwork. When it closed I heard the employee's stripped the place down.

It's so old...I was there a couple of years ago and almost tried to break in and check it out...but figured I might fall through the floor or something...plus it was locked up pretty good...

Graystoke
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
It's so old...I was there a couple of years ago and almost tried to break in and check it out...but figured I might fall through the floor or something...plus it was locked up pretty good...

It was scheduled for remodel in 2008. Looks like that didn't happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbphDiDGkHU

After seeing this video I would love to get in there! Freakin cool light fixtures.

Pitt Gorilla
08-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Yep. That's just what I hear. I like downtown CF. Love Los Cabos, but I didn't spend too much time there outside of classes and school activities. I rarely even went to the Hill.Downtown Waterloo has some outstanding restaurants. Jamison's Public House, CU, My Thai, etc.

vailpass
08-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Downtown Waterloo has some outstanding restaurants. Jamison's Public House, CU, My Thai, etc.

People fly in from all over the county just to dine in the 'Loo.

fan4ever
08-18-2011, 10:42 AM
It was scheduled for remodel in 2008. Looks like that didn't happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbphDiDGkHU

After seeing this video I would love to get in there! Freakin cool light fixtures.

Wow, that's in bad shape; thanks for sharing that though...never seen the inside.

fan4ever
08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I guess the renovation is still in the works...

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/waterloo-city-council-oks-extension-for-rath-renovation/article_8569f121-0a70-50ec-a0f5-950cd0fdf84e.html