PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs add Harold Ayodele

malachi47000
08-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Per http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/8/16/2366008/kansas-city-chiefs-reportedly-adding-to-defensive-line-depth-with

Kansas City Chiefs Reportedly Adding To Defensive Line Depth With Emporia State Signing

23247_617116905_1805_n_tiny by Chris Thorman on Aug 16, 2011 8:14 AM CDT in Kansas City Chiefs Training Camp 2011

According to Emporia State's defensive backs coach Eric Burrow on Twitter, the Kansas City Chiefs have reportedly added former Hornet defensive linemen Harold Ayodele. The 6'1", 338 pound defensive tackle was rated the No. 49th overall tackle in the 2011 NFL draft by NFL Draft Scout.

From the sound of this article back in 2009, Ayodele had a bit of an attitude problem, bouncing from program to program until he ended up at Emporia. He had a couple of brothers who also played football, albeit without the problems Harold seemed to have:

Akin played his college ball at Purdue, Remi played at Oklahoma and Harold was set to join another big-time program at Florida, where he signed out of high school. But because of grades, Ayodele had to go the junior college route instead.

After spending a year at Coffeyville Community College, Ayodele signed with Middle Tennessee State, where he played for a season. He left because he was short on class hours for the next season, and he had an ankle injury that went untreated for months.

Everything I've read about Harold Ayodele this morning suggests he's a decent player with attitude issues that may or may not be in the past. While searching for information on him, this uncomfortable article (http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/111204/met_17169867.shtml) about Ayodele being charged with a crime in high school came up.

Rooster
08-16-2011, 09:48 AM
:evil: Sounds like the 'Right 53' type to me.

talastan
08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
NT depth? Maybe Toribibo or whatever his name is, could be hurt worse than mentioned....

Urc Burry
08-16-2011, 09:51 AM
From Emporia State to the NFL? Wow

Gonzo
08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmyj8tMOAe1qayvng.gif

SuperChief
I've seen Ayodele play all of his games at Emporia State. I'll preface the description with this - the dude's a great physical specimen at NT. Prototypical size/strength. However, he definitely does have some attitude and motivation issues. Someone with his prototypical size, strength, and speed should have excelled at the Division II level; Harold showed flashes, but wasn't anything special by any means. He does have an incredible motor (when properly motivated).

On a personal note, he's pretty much a douchebag in person. He has an air about himself that makes you think he thinks very highly of himself, most likely because he has two brothers in the NFL.

With the Chiefs, he is the very definition of a project. But hey, Leon Lett came from Emporia State to the pros and did very well for himself, minus the few bonehead plays that he's mainly remembered for.

If anyone has more questions about the dude, fire away. I've seen him play ALOT.

KurtCobain
Ok.

boogblaster
08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Any NT help is needed .. guess if personel problems are a issue let Haley kick him in the nuts afew times ....

Valiant
08-16-2011, 10:30 AM
I've seen Ayodele play all of his games at Emporia State. I'll preface the description with this - the dude's a great physical specimen at NT. Prototypical size/strength. However, he definitely does have some attitude and motivation issues. Someone with his prototypical size, strength, and speed should have excelled at the Division II level; Harold showed flashes, but wasn't anything special by any means. He does have an incredible motor (when properly motivated).

On a personal note, he's pretty much a douchebag in person. He has an air about himself that makes you think he thinks very highly of himself, most likely because he has two brothers in the NFL.

With the Chiefs, he is the very definition of a project. But hey, Leon Lett came from Emporia State to the pros and did very well for himself, minus the few bonehead plays that he's mainly remembered for.

If anyone has more questions about the dude, fire away. I've seen him play ALOT.

So, basically my family busted thier ass to be bad ass, so I can just show up? Hopefully he grew up.

Gonzo
08-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Sounds like a typical Raiders player.
See Barrett Robbins.
Posted via Mobile Device

PunkinDrublic
08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Eh why not. I've got a feeling Scott is going to hit big sooner or later with one of these low risk high reward players. Maybe I've been drinking too much of the patriot way punch.

PunkinDrublic
08-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a typical Raiders player.
See Barrett Robbins.
Posted via Mobile Device

If he helps us get to the Super Bowl and runs off to Tijuana the night before the game that's fine by me.

DaFace
08-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Whoa. A player from MY alma mater in the NFL? Weird.

(Not expecting him to be worth much, though.)

SuperChief
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
It's definitely another low risk, mid-to-high reward type of signing. Ayodele credits the ESU coaching staff with getting him in line. I'm sure if it's an issue, he'll be cut.

the Talking Can
08-16-2011, 10:39 AM
another camp body

or should we re-enact that outrage over signing Colbert?

"I don't understand why they would sign a player?????? arrrrrrgggghhhhh"

Cave Johnson
08-16-2011, 10:41 AM
To the ship?

rocknrolla
08-16-2011, 10:43 AM
What's to loose?

allen_kcCard
08-16-2011, 10:45 AM
To the ship?

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae262/HistoryTwistOfLime/FatGuy.jpg

Mr. Laz
08-16-2011, 10:46 AM
annual Pioli scrub rotation

nychief
08-16-2011, 10:48 AM
What's to loose?

a tie? a belt?

hmm...

maybe the kid can join the practice squad...

DTLB58
08-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Since NT's don't just fall off the tree in everyone's back yard I guess Pioli is looking at quantity over quality with these guys and hoping sooner or later he finds one.

PunkinDrublic
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
It's definitely another low risk, mid-to-high reward type of signing. Ayodele credits the ESU coaching staff with getting him in line. I'm sure if it's an issue, he'll be cut.

Whether it works out or not it's good to see the team trying to address a glaring need. If the result is potentially more depth at the nose tackle position, I'm all for it

SuperChief
08-17-2011, 10:45 AM
From the local rag:

http://www.emporiagazette.com/news/2011/aug/17/going-kansas-city/

Going to Kansas City
By Jeff Deters

Former Emporia State defensive lineman Harold Ayodele is the newest member of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Chiefs announced Tuesday morning that Ayodele had signed a free agent contract, and in the afternoon Ayodele was on the practice field at training camp in St. Joseph, Mo.

“It was really good,” Ayodele said. “The Chiefs have a real good foundation. They are real family oriented. They treated me like I’ve been here for the last two weeks, so it’s been pretty nice. It’s pretty lovely. I’m picking things up real quick. It’s more mental right now. I got out there today and did a few drills. They didn’t want me to hit today yet, but I did a few one-on-ones and that was real good. I didn’t get into the scrimmage lines when they go against each other because they don’t want me hitting too much.”

In two seasons at ESU, Ayodele played in 22 games, had 107 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. Last year as a senior, he led the ESU defensive linemen with 43 tackles.

Ayodele went undrafted, and because of the NFL lockout, free agents couldn’t sign contracts until the lockout was over. Ayodele’s signing comes on the heels of the Chiefs’ first preseason game against Tampa Bay last week. Ayodele said that even though he might be a bit late to the party, that won’t slow him down any.

“I most definitely didn’t come just to watch camp,” Ayodele said. “I came to show them what I could do and make the roster, and then after that just keep getting better and better every day. I try to be a smart guy and learn from some of the vets like Glenn Dorsey. I made sure outside today I asked him a few questions, and Kelly Gregg really helped me out a lot just telling me stuff.

“Every team has their own style of ball, and it’s about doing what they want. Everybody has a different technique in the 3-4 scheme they’ve got, everything is a little different. But it’s a big family out here. Everybody is really cool. You feel like you get a lot of Southern love.”

Last year at ESU, the 6-1 Ayodele played at 339 pounds. However, Ayodele said he has dropped weight and added speed, strength and quickness during the offseason while training at Michael Johnson Performance.

“I just kept putting in work, putting in work and kept training just to make sure I was in great shape when I got down here to camp,” Ayodele said. “I got here weighing 315, and you know me, 315 is super light. But I’m feeling real good, real bouncy.”

Ayodele is the third brother in his family to make it to the NFL. His brother, Remi, a defensive tackle, recently signed a three-year contract with the Minnesota Vikings after spending the last three seasons with the New Orleans Saints. His other brother, Akin, a linebacker who played last season with the Buffalo Bills, is currently an unsigned free agent.

Ayodele said as of now, the Chiefs see him as a nose tackle in their 3-4 defense.

“Right now I’m head up nose tackle,” Ayodele said. “That’s what I was working on today, so that’s basically what they got me for was nose tackle. Could things change? I think so. I’ve been watching these guys and studying film and been in my playbook, it’s a big playbook. I’ve been watching and studying, and really being a student of the game, but also making sure I’m out here representing.”

ESU football coach Garin Higgins said Ayodele deserved a shot to make it in the NFL.

“I think that’s a great thing for our football program,” Higgins said. “Harold is a player that kind of earned his way here. He became a better player when he was here and also a better person. Our football program’s proud of him. We wish him the best of luck and hope that in the future we have many more.”

After Ayodele signed with the Chiefs, he soon called ESU defensive line coach Mike LoPorto to tell him the good news.

“I’m real excited for him,” LoPorto said. “It’s something that’s been a lifelong goal for him. I’m excited that he got his opportunity, and now it’s up to him to make that opportunity into something golden. That’s exciting for me and exciting for him. It’s a big step in his life. He got his opportunity and now let’s see what he can do with it.”

Before coming to Emporia State, Ayodele played at Tennessee State. A Dallas native, Ayodele moved to Florida to live with Akin after he was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2002.

While at Emporia State, Ayodele was well-known for wearing flashy suits after games, and Ayodele said that would likely continue in the NFL.

“You know it wouldn’t be me if I didn’t,” Ayodele said. “I got some new things, of course, and I definitely will bring them out.”

Ayodele, whose nickname is “Train,” also had a message for NFL quarterbacks.

“I respect the vets, of course, like Peyton Manning and those guys,” he said. “But I’m here to win games, and if they are in my way, then I’m going to have to train them down.”

Ayodele also had a message to the coaching staff, teammates and fans back at Emporia State.

“Coach Higgins, I want him to know that I love him like a father,” Ayodele said. “And Coach LoPorto, I love him like a brother, like a friend. I’d love also to say to my teammates that they can all call me. I’m so happy how motivated they are, and they are even hungrier now, and just to keep fighting, and don’t let anybody ever tell you that you can’t do it. If you put the work in and you keep grinding, you can do whatever.

“And for the fans, thank you for always supporting ESU. Thank you for always supporting me and being there, and thank you for always embracing me as a friend. When you talk about Emporia, I get emotional because I love the city and the town because I got more love for Emporia than anywhere I’ve ever been. I love Emporia, and I miss everybody, and once we get one of these bye weeks, I most definitely will come down for a game.”

The Chiefs’ next preseason game is Friday at Baltimore. The Chiefs’ next home preseason game is Aug. 26 against the St. Louis Rams. Emporia State’s season opener is Sept. 1 at Fort Hays State.

durtyrute
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
The more the better, one of them has to work.......right?

Earthling
08-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Might turn out to be a great signing. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Reaper16
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Agreed. I don't make it a priority to see Emporia State games, but I've seen plenty (I watch a dickton of D-II games). He should have done quite a bit of good for that team, but underachieved.

On an unrelated note, I think that Emporia State could finish surprisingly high in the MIAA this year.

Dicky McElephant
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
What's to loose?

Your mom's vagina.

SuperChief
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Agreed. I don't make it a priority to see Emporia State games, but I've seen plenty (I watch a dickton of D-II games). He should have done quite a bit of good for that team, but underachieved.

On an unrelated note, I think that Emporia State could finish surprisingly high in the MIAA this year.

Indeed on both points. I have a feeling that if ESU doesn't pull through with a solid record this season, it will be Higgins' last. He's had ample time to turn the team into a contender, and really has yet to do so fully. He should have the talent this year to at least make some noise in the MIAA. It's always tough with Pitt and Northwest in the mix, though.

I was actually pumped to watch the season unfold this year for them. I get a birdseye view in the skybox every game (as I work for the athletics dept. part-time). I'll be gone for the semester, though. Damn.

Hellno187
08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
If anything I would think the Chiefs would sign some O-lineman for some depth after the poor blocks we had against TB.

milkman
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
If anything I would think the Chiefs would sign some O-lineman for some depth after the poor blocks we had against TB.

The interior of the O-Line has quality depth in Hudson and Harris, and with Jared Gaither added to the mix at OT, are in pretty good shape there, as well.

Mims will possibly be held on to as a project, and it's possible that the Chiefs will add someone when the cuts are made.

Most of the guys that played in the game on Friday night for most of the game are guys that will be looking for work in the UFL.

Meanwhile, we have Gregg, Powe, and crap at NT.

Frankie
08-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Not getting drafted could be the humble pill that cures this malady. Or could it?

SuperChief
08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Not getting drafted could be the humble pill that cures this malady. Or could it?

You'd think going from JUCO to Middle Tennessee State to Emporia State would have done that. Not hardly.

the Talking Can
08-17-2011, 03:39 PM
and if they are in my way, then Im going to have to train them down.

kinky

SuperChief
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
kinky

Not sure if they called him Train because he hit like one, or if it's because he's fucking loud like one. This dude is seriously loud. It was annoying as hell being able to hear him shout ebonics from across campus.

brorth
08-17-2011, 03:58 PM
He said training camp was "pretty lovely".

Surely he can't be as big an asshole as he was when he was younger, could he?

SuperChief
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
IDK, he might be a nice guy after you get to know him or something. I only base my "him being a dick" findings on any encounter I've ever had with him, ever.

chefsos
08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
This guy sure does talk a lot.

JD10367
08-17-2011, 06:54 PM
I assume his entry song onto the field will be the "lonely goatherd" song from "The Sound Of Music".