PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Peter King - Day with the Chiefs

Chiefnj2
08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. -- Five thoughts looking back at my day with the Chiefs:

1. Kansas City will try to keep veteran noseman Kelly Gregg, late of the Ravens, healthy for 16 weeks by playing him only 40 to 45 percent of the snaps. The Chiefs, a 3-4 team, morph into other fronts on all non-running downs and play roughly 50 percent 3-4. If Gregg plays 25 or 30 downs per game, it will give him a good shot to stay upright down the stretch.

2. Remember Keary Colbert? Former second-round pick of the Panthers. Bounced around to two United Football League teams recently. Coached tight ends for USC, his alma mater, last year. He's got a legit chance to make the Chiefs. I wouldn't say 50-50, but close.

Todd Haley told me today that Colbert's agent sent the club a YouTube video of Colbert working out recently, "and we thought it must have been photoshopped, it looked so good. Then we worked him out, and he looked terrific. Unless it's a mirage, he'll be in the thick of things for a job here.''

But he'll be competing with the best stable of receivers the Chiefs have had, by far, in Haley's three years. He may have to beat out current nominal starter Jerheme Urban, a Haley favorite from Arizona, to make it.

3. Jared Gaither is bright-eyed, pain-free and working on a one-year contract, trying to prove (like so many other veterans disappointed at the tightwad "open'' market this year) he deserves a long-term deal with guaranteed money.

Gaither was hurt last year with Baltimore and had his desire questioned by the Ravens; he reportedly flunked his physical with the Raiders last week, leading to a minimum-salary, one-year deal with the Chiefs.

"Kansas City wanted me here, and I want to be here,'' he said after practice Monday. "I feel 100 percent.'' He's listed number two on the depth chart at left tackle behind Branden Albert, but he could challenge Barry Richardson and Ryan O'Callaghan on the right side.

4. The player I was most impressed with: Tight end Tony Moeaki. I'll be writing more about him in the coming days, but what interested me is the Chiefs' aggressive use of him in passing formations -- as a slot receiver, a blocker tight to the formation, and set out wide. He's their Dallas Clark.

5. Finally, another example of how the USO partnership with this training camp trip continues to be a terrific experience. Thanks to the Chiefs for their hospitality to 14 Airmen from Whiteman Air Force Base near Knob Noster, Mo. It's one of the places our men and women train for roles in the flight and care of stealth aircraft.

At the start of practice Monday, coach Todd Haley had several of them standing on the offensive line's long blocking sled, and the first, second and third lines took turns blasting into the sled and driving them downfield. Then he had four of them take portable pads and form the gauntlet for the Gauntlet Drill, when running backs, tight ends and wideouts charge into the line and get pounded by the men with pads. Others caught the field goals blasted by the two kickers.

Afterward, Haley brought them into the team huddle, praised their will and had one of them talk to the team. They got footballs signed, and Matt Cassel spent some quality time with them. "I just want to thank you guys for everything,'' Cassel told them. Then they walked into the team cafeteria on the campus of Missouri Western State to eat dinner with the team. That's above and beyond, Chiefs.

One of the Chiefs' fans in the house felt the love. "This is the greatest day of my life,'' Airman James Clark of Warsaw, Mo., said. A cool day for all involved.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/16/mail/index.html#ixzz1VD6GH7wx

L.A. Chieffan
08-16-2011, 11:35 AM
matt cassel is such a great guy

keg in kc
08-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Ahh, confirmation on Gaither's deal, finally. Looked for a few minutes yesterday and couldn't find anything. If he stays healthy and plays well, lock him up in November or December.

Interesting tidbit on Moeaki.

Deberg_1990
08-16-2011, 11:41 AM
he seemed alot more optimistic about Colberts chances of making the team than most of us here. interesting....

Rooster
08-16-2011, 11:43 AM

He's dreamy....

Cave Johnson
08-16-2011, 11:44 AM
As anticipated, a thoroughly uninformative piece from PK.

Urc Burry
08-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Good news on Moeaki

MoreLemonPledge
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, but how was the coffee, Peter?

L.A. Chieffan
08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
he probably typed this with gates sauce on his fingers

Cave Johnson
08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
2. Remember Keary Colbert? Former second-round pick of the Panthers. Bounced around to two United Football League teams recently. Coached tight ends for USC, his alma mater, last year. He's got a legit chance to make the Chiefs. I wouldn't say 50-50, but close.

A LEGIT 40% chance.

Yeah, but how was the coffee, Peter?

How was his hotel stay? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.

bobbything
08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I learned more in this piece than I have in all of Teicher's half-assed articles penned on the sh*t-stained TP he just wiped his ass with.

Micjones
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston and Copper are the only locks at that position.
That leaves the 5th spot open for either Urban, Tucker, Horne or Colbert.
I won't be surprised if Colbert makes this team.

thurman merman
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Moeaki is awesome.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston and Copper are the only locks at that position.
That leaves the 5th spot open for either Urban, Tucker, Horne or Colbert.
I won't be surprised if Colbert makes this team.
i would ... because a 5th receiver is going to have to be heavily into special teams. I doubt an older guy like that is going to be consider for ST.

Urban is older too but he's always been a backup/ST type guy.

i would still think that Tucker/Horne should be first in line for the ST position.

crazycoffey
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM
he seemed alot more optimistic about Colberts chances of making the team than most of us here. interesting....

I miss the talks, highlights?

Is this the workout video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9z3i21fLs

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM
i would ... because a 5th receiver is going to have to be heavily into special teams. I doubt an older guy like that is going to be consider for ST.

Urban is older too but he's always been a backup/ST type guy.

i would still think that Tucker/Horne should be first in line for the ST position.

Copper is the WR5 and ST contributor.

IMO, Urban, Tucker, Horne and Colbert are vying for the WR4 spot.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Copper is the WR5 and ST contributor.

IMO, Urban, Tucker, Horne and Colbert are vying for the WR4 spot.
yea, but how often do we run 4-wide?

that 4th WR is still going to be riding the bench unless someone gets hurt.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 01:35 PM
yea, but how often do we run 4-wide?

that 4th WR is still going to be riding the bench unless someone gets hurt.

WR4 will come in for specific packages, and when someone else needs a rest.

You're right, they're likely not going to see much action. But whoever gets the job out of those 4 will see more time at WR than Copper will, again, IMO.

keg in kc
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if early formations in the Bucs game were some indication of things to come, too, in lieu of a 4th (or 3rd) wide receiver in the formation, we may see McCluster**** and Charles on the field together motioning all over the place, with McClain and Jones (ugh) in the equation as well.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
he probably typed this with gates sauce on his fingers

A LEGIT 90% chance.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if early formations in the Bucs game were some indication of things to come, too, in lieu of a 4th (or 3rd) wide receiver in the formation, we may see McCluster**** and Charles on the field together motioning all over the place, with McClain and Jones (ugh) in the equation as well.

I agree. I think when we do go 4-wide, it's rarely going to be with 4 true WR's.

I think we're going to see a lot of Bowe-Baldwin-Breaston and Charles/Mo/Dex as the 4th.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Ahh, confirmation on Gaither's deal, finally. Looked for a few minutes yesterday and couldn't find anything. If he stays healthy and plays well, lock him up in November or December.

Interesting tidbit on Moeaki.

Yeah everyone thought the Chiefs would be a run, run and run offense this year. That didn't make sense considering how Haley preaches balance. I'm glad that they're moving him around that'll cause match up problems with the defense.

crazycoffey
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree. I think when we do go 4-wide, it's rarely going to be with 4 true WR's.

I think we're going to see a lot of Bowe-Baldwin-Breaston and Charles/Mo/Dex as the 4th.

I'm really ok with that...

Scorp
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Charles needs more carries!

OnTheWarpath58
I'm really ok with that...

Same here.

OnTheWarpath58
Charles needs more carries!

Charles definitely needs more touches.

crazycoffey
08-16-2011, 02:04 PM
some FF "experts" on NFL network, I believe, did a FF mock draft and the guy picking first took Charles.

Frankie
08-16-2011, 02:26 PM
He's dreamy....

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_ju/assets/widget_bImbtQ1DzkMyu3WvLAtCos.jpghttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3ufgrow9yU-tBYAIk-NbuyoLQSrUfTK36wHYJttMveBpOJrSjJw

:D

Saul Good
08-16-2011, 02:35 PM

That's going to be nasty, especially if\when they empty completely and go 5 wide.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Actually when i went to practice this past Sunday i was surprisingly impress with Colbert. He made a couple of nice plays. Not saying he will, but he has a decent shot at making this team

beach tribe
08-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't know why some people think Haley wouldn't keep the best 5 WRs. He's going to do what's best for the team.
Colbert will probably end up beating out Urban.

RustShack
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Good thing ST's are almost completely irrelevant now. Cut Coppers ass and keep both Urban and Colbert. We have other people besides Copper who can handle punting and punt returning. Kick returning/coverage will be almost nonexistent.

BossChief
08-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Good thing ST's are almost completely irrelevant now. Cut Coppers ass and keep both Urban and Colbert. We have other people besides Copper who can handle punting and punt returning. Kick returning/coverage will be almost nonexistent.

Look everybody....RustShack made a point!!!

I dont agree with it, but its a somewhat valid point.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
ST are far from irrelevant.

Hell, the Chargers had a KO return for a TD in their game.

Mike Westhoff is employing an interesting strategy with the Jets. He has the returner stand 6 yards deep in the EZ, and if they can catch the kick coming forward, they bring it out. Standing still or over their heads, red light.

Rackers has a pretty strong leg and wasn't getting it very deep.

Plus, as the weather gets colder, the shorter kicks are going to fly.

Oakland is the only team I can think of that should never have to cover a kickoff.

BossChief
08-16-2011, 05:18 PM
I guess the question is, are they relevant enough to dedicate certain roster spots strictly for guys that only play special teams?

If I had to choose between keeping Tucker/Urban or Copper, Id probably ask for Coppers playbook and hope it works out.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I guess the question is, are they relevant enough to dedicate certain roster spots strictly for guys that only play special teams?

If I had to choose between keeping Tucker/Urban or Copper, Id probably ask for Coppers playbook and hope it works out.

I wouldn't.

Copper is infinitely more valuable to this team due to his ST ability than Tucker or Urban.

I don't see the WR4 - regardless of who it is - getting a lot of action, provided everyone stays healthy. You're going to see Mo/Charles/Dex used out wide.

Guys like Tucker and Urban are easily replaceable.

I think Copper's ST efforts are vastly under appreciated around here.

BossChief
08-16-2011, 05:31 PM
One receiver goes down for a stretch and Tucker or Urban all of a sudden have far more value to this team than Copper, though.

I see your point and I value ST...but Tucker got some valuable starting experience last year and could do well against lesser competition as a fourth option.

I would hate to throw that away in place of a ST-only player.

Frankie
08-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Look everybody....RustShack made a point!!!

I dont agree with it, but its a somewhat valid point.

I wish you guys would put away this ISU/Iowa fight.

:)

BossChief
08-16-2011, 05:40 PM

the rivalries on the planet are what make the discussions here a little more interesting.

NOTHING comes out of a circle jerk...lots of good stuff comes out of heated debates.

Even ones that end with curb-stomping.

ps...fuck the cyclones.

RustShack
08-16-2011, 06:07 PM

He just doesn't know who Steele Jantz is yet.

KChiefs1
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
As a human being Matt Cassel is Bradyesque.

CaliforniaChief
08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
To Copper's credit, he did make a nice catch in the '09 game at Denver. Then again, who didn't make a big play in that game?

Blick
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
The thing you guys are forgetting about Copper is that he comes in all the time on offense to block, so his value does extend beyond special teams. I'm not really a big fan of him, just sayin'...

Rudy lost the toss
08-16-2011, 09:54 PM

i like balls

BossChief
08-16-2011, 10:16 PM
The thing you guys are forgetting about Copper is that he comes in all the time on offense to block, so his value does extend beyond special teams. I'm not really a big fan of him, just sayin'...

the moment Baldwinning got here, that became irrelevant.

Blick
08-16-2011, 11:08 PM
the moment Baldwinning got here, that became irrelevant.

We'll see. Copper has worked hard to carve out his blocking WR niche. Coaches love shit like that. I doubt Haley will just hand over that role to a rookie.

Holladay
08-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I miss the talks, highlights?

Is this the workout video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9z3i21fLs

WOW, check out the tape. We DEFINTELY need to sign that dude.

I mean the dude throwing the ball:) Hits every route, long, short, crossing, fade. He looks like Tom Brady.

Fruit Ninja
08-17-2011, 04:27 PM
We'll see. Copper has worked hard to carve out his blocking WR niche. Coaches love shit like that. I doubt Haley will just hand over that role to a rookie.

He handed over 2 roles to rookie safeties last year. Whoever the better player is, Haley will put in there.

Blick
08-17-2011, 04:38 PM
He handed over 2 roles to rookie safeties last year. Whoever the better player is, Haley will put in there.

Agreed. But, Haley views Copper as the best blocking wideout on the team. That's why he comes in during short yardage situations or almost any time the Chiefs go with a "big" set with only 1 WR.

BigMeatballDave
08-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't.

Copper is infinitely more valuable to this team due to his ST ability than Tucker or Urban.

I don't see the WR4 - regardless of who it is - getting a lot of action, provided everyone stays healthy. You're going to see Mo/Charles/Dex used out wide.

Guys like Tucker and Urban are easily replaceable.

I think Copper's ST efforts are vastly under appreciated around here.

Yep. As long as he plays as well as he does on ST, he'll have a spot on this team.

xztop12
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
doesnt the new kickoff stuff make copper even more useless

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
He's dreamy....

That's probably what Cassel is thinking as he watches Stanzi throw the football.
And evade rushers.
While NOT shitting his pants.
And looking for a way to make a play happen.
Like he did when he was a STARTER in college.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
doesnt the new kickoff stuff make copper even more useless
no,no,no

people act like kicking off from the 35 is going to end special teams completely.

1. punt returns and coverage are still the same

2. kickoffs will still be returned in fact i saw number they today that the return yardage has been pretty close to normal. It's just that the number of touch backs will go up a lot.

BossChief
08-17-2011, 07:01 PM
touchbacks went from 22% up to 44% according to a report I read a day or two ago.

Thats huge.

Hydrae
08-17-2011, 07:07 PM
touchbacks went from 22% up to 44% according to a report I read a day or two ago.

Thats huge.

Yes but 44<100

There is still a need for ST players on kickoffs. More so later in the season probably too.

BossChief
08-17-2011, 07:36 PM
There is gonna be a hard decision for Haley in the final cuts.

Keep a guy that is a good special teamer that we would miss at one point or another...or keep one or both of the guys you have been working with all the way back to Arizona that has a lot of upside left as a receiver in this league?

Haley has had no shortage of good things to say about both players.

Chiefnj2
08-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Yes but 44<100

There is still a need for ST players on kickoffs. More so later in the season probably too.

Teams were kicking short on purpose to practice coverages. If teams want, it will be much higher than 44% in the regular season.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Teams were kicking short on purpose to practice coverages. If teams want, it will be much higher than 44% in the regular season.
later on in the year, i bet we see quite a few pooch kicks where they try and have the ball land at the 5 yrd line near the sideline. Not against the outstanding returners but teams with weak return teams will get attacked.

BossChief
08-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Over/under on onside kicks Haley tries with this new rule making the consequences less harmful if it doesn't work out.:

T-post Tom
08-17-2011, 09:03 PM
NOTHING comes out of a circle jerk...

http://htmlgiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Clio-CircleJerk-751056.jpg.jpeg

KCChiefsFan88
08-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Thank goodness SI is sending their reporters to Chiefs camp, otherwise we wouldn't get any legit coverage about what is going on there.

Frankie
08-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Thank goodness SI is sending their reporters to Chiefs camp, otherwise we wouldn't get any legit coverage about what is going on there.

I don't want them around the Chiefs. Too weary of the SI curse.

Tribal Warfare
08-17-2011, 11:10 PM
<object width="400" height="325" classid="clsid><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/swf/4.1/global/cvp/si_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=nfl/2011/08/17/king_chiefs" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/swf/4.1/global/cvp/si_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=nfl/2011/08/17/king_chiefs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="325"></embed></object>

Frankie
08-18-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't want them around the Chiefs. Too weary of the SI curse.

<object width="400" height="325" classid="clsid><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/swf/4.1/global/cvp/si_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=nfl/2011/08/17/king_chiefs" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/swf/4.1/global/cvp/si_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=nfl/2011/08/17/king_chiefs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="325"></embed></object>
Too late!!!... Too late!!!... Too...late!!! :banghead: