PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs have $33M in cap space??????

Kerberos
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
If this is a repost then suck it I didn't see it on the first few pages.

Is this organization that fuggin cheap or just watching how they spend???? Either way if we have a shitty season because they went for cheap instead of quality I for one will be pissed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/16/updated-cap-space-as-of-august-15/

Updated cap space as of August 15
Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2011, 1:12 PM EDT

We unveiled them during today’s PFT Live. We could withhold them so that you’ll watch PFT Live via the on-demand function, but if the fact that the guests included Al Michael, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and the guy who is trying to get Terrelle Pryor into the supplemental draft, which by the way is set for tomorrow, then teasing you with the cap numbers won’t get it done, either.

So here’s the updated cap space, as of Monday, August 15:

Chiefs: $33 million.

Buccaneers: $29 million.

Jaguars: $28.3 million.

Bengals: $25.9 million.

Bills: $24.6 million.

Browns: $24.5 million.

Broncos: $24.4 million.

Bears: $19.3 million.

49ers: $15.6 million.

Seahawks: $15.5 million

Cardinals: $14.6 million.

Packers: $13.1 million.

Redskins: $10.9 million.

Dolphins: $9.6 million.

Jets: $9.4 million.

Patriots: $9.2 million.

Colts: $7.1 million.

Titans: $6.9 million.

Cowboys: $6.6 million.

Giants: $5.5 million.

Raiders: $5.1 million.

Steelers: $4.4 million.

Ravens: $2.8 million.

Chargers: $2.7 million.

Saints: $2.6 million.

Texans: $2.2 million.

Eagles: $2 million

Panthers: $1.7 million.

Lions: $1.1 million.

Falcons: $1.1 million.

Vikings: $380,000.

Rams: $270,000.

L.A. Chieffan
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM
$2 beer!

Rooster
08-16-2011, 12:54 PM
$2 beer!

L.A.Chieffan for President :clap:

Count Alex's Wins
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/o5cdx4.jpg

Hoover
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
We need to resign out young talent.

We pretty much have everything we need.

Detoxing
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
We need to resign out young talent.

We pretty much have everything we need.

This.

the team isn't cheap. You see wtf they just gave Tamba? They'll pay their young players, and that includes Carr.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2011, 01:03 PM
The salary cap doesn't go into effect until the end of the season.

Also i heard something about some of it not hitting until 2013

:shrug:

Zeke
08-16-2011, 01:06 PM
We've got a pretty daggum good, YOUNG team... with cap room to keep these players in town.... and star players sitting on club-friendly deals (Charles). Pioli has set up this franchise to be able to keep all this young talent here. That is a position about 20+ other GM's are envying right about now after they had to cut 2-3 players just to afford to keep 1.

That being said - were Carr, Bowe, Flowers, etc not given the contracts this year and end up walking on this team - at that point you can really start questioning the approach.

Dayze
08-16-2011, 01:08 PM
The salary cap doesn't go into effect until the end of the season.

Also i heard something about some of it not hitting until 2013

:shrug:

I think the salary floor requirement wont be in effect until 2013 if I remember correctly.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2011, 01:19 PM
We've got a pretty daggum good, YOUNG team... with cap room to keep these players in town.... and star players sitting on club-friendly deals (Charles). Pioli has set up this franchise to be able to keep all this young talent here. That is a position about 20+ other GM's are envying right about now after they had to cut 2-3 players just to afford to keep 1.

That being said - were Carr, Bowe, Flowers, etc not given the contracts this year and end up walking on this team - at that point you can really start questioning the approach.

But, but, but they aren't the YOUNG BUCS. The douches in the FOX broadcast the other night made no mention of the Chiefs young core.

keg in kc
08-16-2011, 01:20 PM
But, but, but they aren't the YOUNG BUCS. The douches in the FOX broadcast the other night made no mention of the Chiefs young core.That's what happens when you get your ass kicked.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2011, 01:22 PM
That's what happens when you get your ass kicked.

Practice??? We talkin but practice here. Practice???

Extra Point
08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
L.A.Chieffan for President :clap:

$2 beers! Harumph!
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JN99jshaQbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
But, but, but they aren't the YOUNG BUCS. The douches in the FOX broadcast the other night made no mention of the Chiefs young core.

That's what happens when you get your ass kicked.

It's also what happens when none of them play.

keg in kc
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM
It's also what happens when none of them play.It's certainly a chain of events.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
It's certainly a chain of events.

Add to that, it was a FOX broadcast. Of course they are going to pimp the NFC team.

The bigger question is, why does anyone give a fuck?

blaise
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
They should throw all that money at some crappy players who will get hurt.

keg in kc
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Add to that, it was a FOX broadcast. Of course they are going to pimp the NFC team.

The bigger question is, why does anyone give a ****?It's an exciting day in the sports world.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2011, 01:39 PM

The bigger question is, why does anyone give a fuck?

Meh, I thought I'd fit in with everyone else and bitch about stupid shit ;)

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
It's an exciting day in the sports world.

Meh, I thought I'd fit in with everyone else and bitch about stupid shit ;)

LMAO

keg in kc
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Boredom trumps intelligence 9 times out of 8.

Brock
08-16-2011, 01:42 PM

There isn't much for them to say when your young core is sitting on the bench for 3 and a half quarters of a game.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Boredom trumps intelligence 9 times out of 8.

60% of the time, it works every time.

noa
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
LOUD NOISES!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
There isn't much for them to say when your young core is sitting on the bench for 3 and a half quarters of a game.

If the FOX cam had shown a picture of the booth, Billick and Breneman would have looked like Randy Marsh after he got his internet back.

Chocolate Hog
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Clark Hunt spent money/BossChief

Micjones
08-16-2011, 02:39 PM
The Chiefs are in a great spot with money to spend on locking up key players going into next season. Maintaining the core talent here will be huge going forward. The idea that this team is cheap is simply unfounded.

Tamba got paid HANDSOMELY.

DTLB58
08-16-2011, 02:44 PM
If this is a repost then suck it I didn't see it on the first few pages.

Is this organization that fuggin cheap or just watching how they spend???? Either way if we have a shitty season because they went for cheap instead of quality I for one will be pissed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/16/updated-cap-space-as-of-august-15/

Updated cap space as of August 15
Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2011, 1:12 PM EDT

We unveiled them during today’s PFT Live. We could withhold them so that you’ll watch PFT Live via the on-demand function, but if the fact that the guests included Al Michael, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and the guy who is trying to get Terrelle Pryor into the supplemental draft, which by the way is set for tomorrow, then teasing you with the cap numbers won’t get it done, either.

So here’s the updated cap space, as of Monday, August 15:

Chiefs: $33 million.

Buccaneers: $29 million.

Jaguars: $28.3 million.

Bengals: $25.9 million.

Bills: $24.6 million.

Browns: $24.5 million.

Broncos: $24.4 million.

Bears: $19.3 million.

49ers: $15.6 million.

Seahawks: $15.5 million

Cardinals: $14.6 million.

Packers: $13.1 million.

Redskins: $10.9 million.

Dolphins: $9.6 million.

Jets: $9.4 million.

Patriots: $9.2 million.

Colts: $7.1 million.

Titans: $6.9 million.

Cowboys: $6.6 million.

Giants: $5.5 million.

Raiders: $5.1 million.

Steelers: $4.4 million.

Ravens: $2.8 million.

Chargers: $2.7 million.

Saints: $2.6 million.

Texans: $2.2 million.

Eagles: $2 million

Panthers: $1.7 million.

Lions: $1.1 million.

Falcons: $1.1 million.

Vikings: $380,000.

Rams: $270,000.

I guess you missed this article posted the other day. Great read.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248464

DTLB58
08-16-2011, 02:44 PM
The Chiefs are in a great spot with money to spend on locking up key players going into next season. Maintaining the core talent here will be huge going forward. The idea that this team is cheap is simply unfounded.

Tamba got paid HANDSOMELY.

:clap:

Mr. Arrowhead
08-16-2011, 03:11 PM
They are actually smart, I think they knew they were gonna have to lock down their young talent, and they have the money to do so

beach tribe
08-16-2011, 04:55 PM
This.

the team isn't cheap. You see wtf they just gave Tamba? They'll pay their young players, and that includes Carr.

Hell no we're not cheap. This is solid proof that this a VERY well run organization. No paying BS money to bums. We're gonna lock up our talent, and after Pioli feels like this team is solid from top to bottom, he will go after the FAs needed to complete the roster, and will have plenty of cash to do so.
I'd bet a weeks paycheck on it.

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Chiefs brass: Smartest guys in the room.

KCrockaholic
08-16-2011, 05:05 PM
And what's wrong with us saving that cap at this point? Pioli has wheeled and dealed. Did you see the deal we got for Gaither? Would it be better if we threw 5 mil at him just so it looks like we spent more money. Value is key.

BossChief
08-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Clark Hunt spent money/BossChief

Breastons deal was far from cheap.

Hali got one of the biggest deals for a defensive player in KC history.

If Gaither shows he is worth it, injury wise, he will get paid too.

Bowe

Flowers

Carr

Next year, Albert...Dorsey...

If we overspend this year, it means we probably have to pick a couple of those guys to let walk.

Did you read the article from a day or so ago showing how irrelevant spending money in free agency is in respect to winning regular and post season games?

If not, you really should.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
And what's wrong with us saving that cap at this point? Pioli has wheeled and dealed. Did you see the deal we got for Gaither? Would it be better if we threw 5 mil at him just so it looks like we spent more money. Value is key.

Saving it would be stupid, IMO.

Use that money to lock up Bowe, Flowers and Carr and frontload the fuck out of their deals.

BossChief
08-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Saving it would be stupid, IMO.

Use that money to lock up Bowe, Flowers and Carr and frontload the fuck out of their deals.

I agree, but know that they will.

By years end, at least 2 of them will be under long term contracts.

Clark Hunt told formerDB in a personal interview last year that his biggest focus was locking up the "young core of this team"

straight from the horses mouth.

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I agree, but know that they will.

By years end, at least 2 of them will be under long term contracts.

Clark Hunt told formerDB in a personal interview last year that his biggest focus was locking up the "young core of this team"

straight from the horses mouth.

In fairness, Clark Hunt has also said that his focus was "drafting and developing a franchise QB."

I agree that at least one of them, maybe two, hopefully all three are under a long term deal by December. But not because Clark Hunt made that comment.

BossChief
08-16-2011, 05:23 PM
In fairness, Clark Hunt has also said that his focus was "drafting and developing a franchise QB."

I agree that at least one of them, maybe two, hopefully all three are under a long term deal by December. But not because Clark Hunt made that comment.

he said it last year not long before DJ and Charles signed their extensions.

STANZI FTMFW

haha

OnTheWarpath58
08-16-2011, 05:25 PM
he said it last year not long before DJ and Charles signed their extensions.

STANZI FTMFW

haha

Actually, he said that in 2009, right after he hired Pioli.

And we ended up with "Come at me, Bro."

BossChief
08-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Actually, he said that in 2009, right after he hired Pioli.

And we ended up with "Come at me, Bro."

I meant the comment about locking up the young core.

My bad as I can see how that could be misinterpreted.

CoMoChief
08-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Eh, would like to see another NT...Gregg needs to stay fresh and I don't think Powe should be the primary backup. Either way you look at it we're still very thin at that area. Also need to look at an interior OL guy, notably someone who could play both guard and center. That way we could dress 8 OL for gameday.

OL
Albert
Gaither
Weigman
Lilja
Asamoah
Richardson
Hudson
(**FA to be named**)

DL
Gregg
Powe
(**FA NT to be named**)
Dorsey
Bailey
Jackson
Gilberry

Anyone think of a guy(s) that fits that bill? I don't, at least not off the top of my head.

BigMeatballDave
08-16-2011, 05:56 PM

Bowe

Flowers

Carr

If we overspend this year, it means we probably have to pick a couple of those guys to let walk.

Did you read the article from a day or so ago showing how irrelevant spending money in free agency is in respect to winning regular and post season games?

If not, you really should.Try not to confuse Billay with logic.

chefsos
08-16-2011, 06:09 PM
If Gaither shows he is worth it, injury wise, he will get paid too.This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.

McClain, too. And any other guy that's currently signed to a one year deal. They'll, IMO, look at these guys (as well as the coming-up-for-contract core players) during the course of the season and put 'em in 2 categories:

1) Lock him up
2) Let him go

Those one year deals are placeholders, and the $33M allows the Chiefs to (hopefully) choose wisely, and it'll likely all be done before this season is over.

Okie_Apparition
08-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh shit. If I've got this right. The Jags are also young now, they treated the first preseason game t he same way the Chiefs did. Doing anything like Jack Del rio is not easy on the stomach, let alone having 3 things in common

Chocolate Hog
08-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Bowe

Flowers

Carr

I'll take a look at it but I'll say this I already agree we shouldn't spend money just to spend it never works. My beef was I feel we didn't adequately upgrade the NT position and ignored the offensive tackles. Obviously we signed Gaither so I've cooled on that position a bit.

BossChief
08-16-2011, 06:22 PM
I'll take a look at it but I'll say this I already agree we shouldn't spend money just to spend it never works. My beef was I feel we didn't adequately upgrade the NT position and ignored the offensive tackles. Obviously we signed Gaither so I've cooled on that position a bit.

Gregg is a better fit for our offense than Franklin, too.

the "Clark Hunt is Cheap" talk didnt start this year...its been going around since Lamar Hunt passed and Clark decided to take the best route to getting this team to where it needs to be and bit the bullet and went with a full blown rebuild that basically started in 2007.

Rebuilding teams/teams that build through the draft ALWAYS have the lowest payrolls in the league.

Its the nature of the beast and some of us pointed that out over and over and showed how they were spending a fuckton of cash on installing a system that could best develop drafted talent and also spent a hell of a lot of cash on the stadium as well.

Lamar Hunt ALWAYS pushed the salary cap, he just had Carl fucking Peterson in charge of that spending and he always went nuts over teh brokedicks in free agency and couldnt draft well to save his life.

Those times are gone and we now have one of the best guys (if not the best guy) in the business in spending money wisely and drafting well.

If Clark Hunt does what his father did in keeping us close to the cap (which he will have to do to work within the confines of the new CBA) we should be a contender for a fairly long time.

beach tribe
08-16-2011, 06:45 PM

I think that is STILL the longterm plan. I just don't think the option to choose the guy that they want to eventually replace Cassel has presented itself yet. I'm certain that Cassel's successor will be a QB drafted, and developed by the Chiefs.

Nightfyre
08-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Andrew Luck plz.

KCrockaholic
08-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Bowe

Flowers

Carr

I have to agree with this one.

milkman
08-16-2011, 10:43 PM
This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread.....

Wile E. Coyote.

Exoter175
08-16-2011, 10:48 PM
I skipped a few pages here and there, so ignore this if it is repetitive, but....

As far as I know from the documents put out there by the media, the Salary Cap/Floor as well as the Cash Cap/Floor are in affect, indefinitely. They just have a tiered agreement with the CBA to adjust those Floor/Cap figures as the years progress until 2013 when they hit a flat rate of X%(somewhere around 85-90% being reported for Cash /salary floors).

That being said, with the free agents coming up next year, I'm going to guess we restructure a few deals by the end of the season for big time players currently under contract, just like we did last season, as the "Cap Room and Cash Room" are totaled at the end of the league year and not the beginning. We just didn't drop big dollars in free agency this year which is why we're so low.

chefsos
08-16-2011, 10:58 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread.....

Wile E. Coyote.Strange but true; his total debt to the Acme company: $33 million.

Marcellus
08-17-2011, 06:55 AM
So there are still people that don't understand the difference between spending cash $ and the salary cap. Awesome.

We only have $122MM committed in $ this year.