PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Kansas governor seeks U.S. funds to encourage marriage

jiveturkey
08-16-2011, 02:50 PM
This seems goofy to me.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/08/kansas-governor-seeks-us-funds-to-promote-marriage/1

Last week, Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback publicly rejected $31.5 million in federal funding to implement the new national health care law, saying, "Every state should be preparing for fewer federal resources, not more."

But, as The Kansas City Star points out today, Brownback's Republican administration has asked the Obama administration for $6.6 million to promote marriage to unwed parents in a bid to reduce child poverty.

The state's Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services wants the federal government to pay for six counseling sessions per couple, at $25 to $50 a session, over three years. The state would enlist secular and religion-based services and let parents select the program. The state would pay the $85.50 marriage license fee for couples who go on to tie the knot.

For those not hearing wedding bells, the grant application said parents "will have learned how to maintain relationships and work together for the good of their child," the Star writes.

Regarding the health care money, a spokeswoman for the Kansas health department said that the grant "wasn't in line with state priorities and there are concerns about strings attached to the money," and that the state "could use some existing funds to implement some of the same programs," the paper writes.

In a statement to the Star, Brownback's staff wrote, "The administration doesn't have a blanket policy regarding grants. Each potential grant and the federal requirements that come along with them are evaluated on a case-by-case basis with an increased watchful eye toward long-term mandates with short-term funding streams."

Cave Johnson
08-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Hypocrisy aside, it does raise the median household income.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/08/chart-of-day.html

Also, where's the divorce lawyer's cut? ;)

blaise
08-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd rather a couple raise a child as a couple if that's what they're trying to do. Better than having to give money to single parents who can't get the other to pay their half.

Cannibal
08-16-2011, 03:16 PM
This seems goofy to me.

That's because it is.

ChiTown
08-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I read that this morning in the Wichita paper and wanted to puke. Seriously, W T F?

banyon
08-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Republicans are against social engineering, unless you can engineer them the way they see fit.

banyon
08-16-2011, 03:27 PM
This seems goofy to me.

But, as The Kansas City Star points out today, Brownback's Republican administration has asked the Obama administration for $6.6 million to promote marriage to unwed parents in a bid to reduce child poverty.

The state's Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services wants the federal government to pay for six counseling sessions per couple, at $25 to $50 a session, over three years. The state would enlist secular and religion-based services and let parents select the program. The state would pay the $85.50 marriage license fee for couples who go on to tie the knot.

For those not hearing wedding bells, the grant application said parents "will have learned how to maintain relationships and work together for the good of their child," the Star writes.

."

Are they going to counsel illegal immigrant couples on how it's wrong to stay unmarried just so you can both get benefits?

Brock
08-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Yeah, this will work.

Cave Johnson
08-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Are they going to counsel illegal immigrant couples on how it's wrong to stay unmarried just so you can both get benefits?

And certain disability recipients, for that matter.

Backwards Masking
08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
I'd rather a couple raise a child as a couple if that's what they're trying to do. Better than having to give money to single parents who can't get the other to pay their half.

If that's what they were trying to do they wouldnt need Brownbacks program to seal the deal. And the single parents are still going to get their money anyway, this does nothing but take more money away from single people who earned it and give it to deadbeat parents who didn't.