PDA

View Full Version : Football Big East Reaches Out

RustShack
08-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Big East commish reaches out to Beebe, Swofford
Posted: Aug 16, 2011 5:07 PM CDT Updated: Aug 16, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
By RALPH D. RUSSO
AP College Football Writer

Big East Commissioner John Marinatto says he has been in constant contact with Dan Beebe of the Big 12 and John Swofford of the Atlantic Coast Conference in recent days and has suggested the three meet to discuss conference realignment.

Marinatto didn't reveal details about his conversations with his fellow commissioners but said, "I thought it would be important for us to meet face-to-face and take the lead in trying to do things the right way."

Beebe's conference, which nearly was wiped out last year when the Pac-10 expanded, is in danger of losing Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference.

If the Aggies end up in the SEC, the league would likely need to add at least one more member.

RustShack
08-16-2011, 06:00 PM
If I recall, if things fell apart last year.. it was Kansas, K-State, Mizzou, and ISU going to be Big East correct?

BWillie
08-16-2011, 06:04 PM
It was known that Big East was going to extend an offer to Kansas/Mizzou and whoever else wanted to come if the Big 12 fell apart a year ago. I don't know how that would work because it's already big enough, or if they are planning to try to narrow down to football/basketball only. Big East is the best option for basketball, but worst option for overall sports, especially non-revenue sports w/ the travel. All in all, stupid geologically.

|Zach|
08-16-2011, 06:23 PM
I would take it if my only other options were minor conferences. But yea...no thanks.

Buehler445
08-16-2011, 06:27 PM
It was known that Big East was going to extend an offer to Kansas/Mizzou and whoever else wanted to come if the Big 12 fell apart a year ago. I don't know how that would work because it's already big enough, or if they are planning to try to narrow down to football/basketball only. Big East is the best option for basketball, but worst option for overall sports, especially non-revenue sports w/ the travel. All in all, stupid geologically.

Geographically? I'm not sure geologically means what you think it means.

(Not being a cock, just trying to get to you before the MUorons)

FWIW, I agree. If they're going to get rid of conferences get rid of the crappy ones.

CHENZ A!
08-16-2011, 06:40 PM
The big east tournament at sprint center.. Yes please

Bambi
08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I couldn't handle all those bball games. Shit is already nuts every night around here between Cuse, UConn, St. John's, GT, etc etc

They would obviously keep it regional because of the geography but a Big East/Big 12/ACC tourney at the end of the year would be March Madness x2...

JoeyChuckles
08-16-2011, 06:49 PM

I think you meant geographically, unless you were referring to rocks.

tk13
08-16-2011, 06:50 PM
The big east tournament at sprint center.. Yes please

Maybe I'll eat these words one day, but Mike Vrabel has a better chance of breaking the season sack record this year than the Sprint Center does of getting the Big East tournament away from Madison Square Garden.

Bambi
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Maybe I'll eat these words one day, but Mike Vrabel has a better chance of breaking the season sack record this year than the Sprint Center does of getting the Big East tournament away from Madison Square Garden.

Well MSG is due for a renovation so maybe SC can steal it away for a year while they do that.

Saul Good
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
If I recall, if things fell apart last year.. it was Kansas, K-State, Mizzou, and ISU going to be Big East correct?

If any school had better pray that major realignment doesn't happen, it's ISU. I see no scenario involving them making it into a superconference. They would be lucky to get into the MWC, WAC, or CUSA.

WV
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm all for anything that improves the Big East Football wise, it's already a tough conference in BB.

tk13
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I think you meant geographically, unless you were referring to rocks.

Maybe the Big East has a strict "no schools built along a fault line" rule.

RustShack
08-16-2011, 10:22 PM
If any school had better pray that major realignment doesn't happen, it's ISU. I see no scenario involving them making it into a superconference. They would be lucky to get into the MWC, WAC, or CUSA.

They were invited to the Big East last year.

BWillie
08-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Geographically? I'm not sure geologically means what you think it means.

(Not being a cock, just trying to get to you before the MUorons)

FWIW, I agree. If they're going to get rid of conferences get rid of the crappy ones.

Autocorrect on cell phone

Saulbadguy
08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
They were invited to the Big East last year.

Did you eat paint chips as a child?

RustShack
08-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Interesting that Texas mentioned ND while talking about conference realignment. Add BYU and the Big12 is better off than it was with Nebraska and Colorado.

RustShack
08-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Did you eat paint chips as a child?

A while back during The Great Conference Realignment Apocalypse of 2010, news broke that if the Big 12 splintered, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Missouri could be candidates to join the Big East. We broke down what the conference could have looked liked and it actually kinda, sorta worked for football and basketball.

The other day Brett McMurphy quoted a source that admitted the Big East was even further along than thought and had pre-approved the four schools for membership.

Of course that didn't happen, the Big 12 remained together (minus two teams) and the Big East moved to gobble up TCU instead.

Silock
08-16-2011, 11:54 PM

There is no conference besides the Big 12 that wouldn't suck for KU to travel to. Perhaps the SEC, but there's no way in hell we're getting in there.

LiveSteam
08-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Old McDonald had a farm e i e i o
With a cluck cluck here,& cluck cluck there,here a cluck,there a cluck,everywhere a cluck cluck. Old McDonald had a farm e i e i o.

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2011, 06:57 AM
There was no guarrantee that any of these universities would have landed in the BE. Remember you fuckwits were sure the "PAC 10 plane is coming to KC"?

CHENZ A!
08-17-2011, 07:20 AM

Oh yeah, well you're probably right. As far as conference realignment goes I only want two things. 1. For KU to be in a BCS conference. 2. Whatever is best for KC.

Elwaysux
08-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I would love to see the Big East and Big 12 combine for no other reason then to have the arrogant sports writers in the Northeast admit that there is life west of Pittsburgh. 12 years living in NJ gave me my fill of how great the "Beast" (Big East) is.

Rooster
08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
If the Big 12 and the Big East combined they would have to come up with a new conference name.

First in with the "Big Middle East Conference".. It's geographically correct and sounds really scary.

vailpass
08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Guys on local sports talk this morning saying the B12 will soon dissapear and they'd like to see the PAC12 get Kansas for their hoops.
Why on earth Kansas would want that kind of a travel schedule I just dont' know but it would immediately raise the hot-quotient of girls in their conference.

Mr. Plow
08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
If the Big 12 and the Big East combined they would have to come up with a new conference name.

First in with the "Big Middle East Conference".. It's geographically correct and sounds really scary.

I think you meant geologically.

:D

Mosbonian
08-17-2011, 11:34 AM
When stuff like this gets put out there people get weird....I was listening to someone on the radio talking about how the Big East, Big 12 and the ACC should form the first "Super-Conference" before the Big 10, SEC and Pac 10 start raiding their conferences for the best teams.

He went on to explain that they could get at minimum 3 BCS games, and pretty much corner the market on College Basketball ratings. When the host asked how he would set up scheduling in Football and Basketball he replied:

Football- 12 games for each "Division" (read old conference) with the winner qualifying for a BCS game. 10 games for teams in your division and 2 with a team from another division.

Basketball- The called got so conviluted that I gave up trying to mentally take notes, but basically was saying that the 3 weeks leading up to March Madness would be tourney weeks. The winner of each Division got a bye and an Automatic NCAA bid and didn't have to play in the tournament. All other Teams played in a tournament to get an eventual winner who would get the 4th Automatic bid from the Super-Conference. All other teams would have to wait for an at-large bid.

His premise for doing this, other than the 3 conferences not waiting to get raided, was to create a Basketball conference that would corner the market on Top Teams and would give more exposure to the schools. This was the only semi-logical thought process in this whole argument because it would literally corner the market on schools that were Basketball strong.

vailpass
08-17-2011, 11:35 AM
When stuff like this gets put out there people get weird....I was listening to someone on the radio talking about how the Big East, Big 12 and the ACC should form the first "Super-Conference" before the Big 10, SEC and Pac 10 start raiding their conferences for the best teams.

He went on to explain that they could get at minimum 3 BCS games, and pretty much corner the market on College Basketball ratings. When the host asked how he would set up scheduling in Football and Basketball he replied:

Football- 12 games for each "Division" (read old conference) with the winner qualifying for a BCS game. 10 games for teams in your division and 2 with a team from another division.

Uh.....no.

sedated
08-17-2011, 11:38 AM
If the Big 12 falls apart, the Big East is next to go.

Mosbonian
08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Uh.....no.

I didn't say that I agree...but don't each of the conferences already get one BCS bid already?

Be kinda hard taking it away....but it would be fun to see the infighting happen if all this came down. A conference like this wouldn't really care about football as much as it would Basketball. It would pretty much corner the market on TV viewers on Saturday and Sunday starting in December and running thru March Madness. That's alot of TV revenue in some pretty big markets...

penguinz
08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I didn't say that I agree...but don't each of the conferences already get one BCS bid already?

Be kinda hard taking it away....but it would be fun to see the infighting happen if all this came down. A conference like this wouldn't really care about football as much as it would Basketball. It would pretty much corner the market on TV viewers on Saturday and Sunday starting in December and running thru March Madness. That's alot of TV revenue in some pretty big markets...There are only 5 BCS games. One conf is not going to get 3 of them.

vailpass
08-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Be kinda hard taking it away....but it would be fun to see the infighting happen if all this came down. A conference like this wouldn't really care about football as much as it would Basketball. It would pretty much corner the market on TV viewers on Saturday and Sunday starting in December and running thru March Madness. That's alot of TV revenue in some pretty big markets...

It would be a killer hoops conference. But 3 BCS for one conference that doesn't include SEC or B10 seems highly unlikely.

If we could get a playoff going none of that would matter/captain obvious.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2011, 12:08 PM
It would be a killer hoops conference. But 3 BCS for one conference that doesn't include SEC or B10 seems highly unlikely.

If we could get a playoff going none of that would matter/captain obvious.
they already get 2 separately(Big-10,Big-12) and they are talking about adding a 6th.

vailpass
08-17-2011, 12:18 PM
they already get 2 separately(Big-10,Big-12) and they are talking about adding a 6th.

Correct so with those 2 taken the other three going to one conference would leave 0 BCS bids for at-large or other conferences. That seems very unlikely, especially when that conference is made up of teams from the BigEast and ACC.
Haven't heard the 6th BCS bowl rumor. Seems like it would further water down an already crowded field and make it less prestigious.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Correct so with those 2 taken the other three going to one conference would leave 0 BCS bids for at-large or other conferences. That seems very unlikely, especially when that conference is made up of teams from the BigEast and ACC.
Haven't heard the 6th BCS bowl rumor. Seems like it would further water down an already crowded field and make it less prestigious.
so together the Big10/Big12/BigEast are worth the same or less than they are separately?

Isn't the Big East currently an alternate qualifier?

I mean if the conference winners also go to the National Championship Game don't they look to the Big East? I don't know, just asking.

vailpass
08-17-2011, 02:00 PM
so together the Big10/Big12/BigEast are worth the same or less than they are separately?

Isn't the Big East currently an alternate qualifier?

I mean if the conference winners also go to the National Championship Game don't they look to the Big East? I don't know, just asking.

BCS Games Conference Conference
Rose Bowl Pac-12 Big Ten
Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Big 12 At-Large
Discover Orange Bowl ACC At-Large
Allstate Sugar Bowl SEC At-Large
BCS Championship Game BCS #1 BCS #2

Good question, I had to look it up.

Here is the breakdown as it stands today. They certainly could allow the mega-conference to retain their two automatic bids. Would they want to give another auto bid and reduce the at-large field to 2 teams and
have half the auto-bids going to one conference?
I don't know.

But I bet there would be much bitching and law suit action from those on the outside looking in.

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2011, 03:53 PM

I think if you allow the Cotton Bowl the opportunity to be a BCS bowl, put it in JerryWorld and give it a payout that's BCS worthy the water down factor would be eliminated.

Big time venue, big payout, certainly a great city and a BCS Championship game every 6th year.

Saul Good
08-17-2011, 04:04 PM
I think if you allow the Cotton Bowl the opportunity to be a BCS bowl, put it in JerryWorld and give it a payout that's BCS worthy the water down factor would be eliminated.

Big time venue, big payout, certainly a great city and a BCS Championship game every 6th year.

It would beat the hell out of the Sugar Bowl. What a POS that stadium is, just a shit hole. It's incredible that an NFL team actually plays there.

vailpass
08-17-2011, 04:16 PM
It would beat the hell out of the Sugar Bowl. What a POS that stadium is, just a shit hole. It's incredible that an NFL team actually plays there.

Yes. Sort of like the Orange Bowl.

booger
08-17-2011, 04:18 PM
they should have reached around instead

vailpass
08-17-2011, 04:18 PM

I can see your point. Rather than adding a BCS game I'd like to see them got to a playoff system that rotates the big games among the power bowls but I'm not holding my breath.

HolyHandgernade
08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Move TCU to the Big XII for football and regional purposes, then move two ACC schools to the Big East for divisional balance producing three 10 team divisions. Boston College and Maryland would be the obvious choices.

Teams play a ten team conference format with one of two possible championship solutions:

Division Champions plus one wildcard play a four team playoff (more likely due to time constraints)

Division Champions plus the runner up in each division play a six team playoff system (greatly increases length of season)

Mosbonian
08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Move TCU to the Big XII for football and regional purposes, then move two ACC schools to the Big East for divisional balance producing three 10 team divisions. Boston College and Maryland would be the obvious choices.

Teams play a ten team conference format with one of two possible championship solutions:

Division Champions plus one wildcard play a four team playoff (more likely due to time constraints)

Division Champions plus the runner up in each division play a six team playoff system (greatly increases length of season)

Are you sure that you weren't the caller I was listening to? Your explanation sounds alot like what he was saying.

Saul Good
08-17-2011, 06:11 PM

TCU adds nothing to the Big XII.

HolyHandgernade
08-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Are you sure that you weren't the caller I was listening to? Your explanation sounds alot like what he was saying.

No, I was in a boring airspace redesign project most of the day!

HolyHandgernade
08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
TCU adds nothing to the Big XII.

Doesn't have to in this scenario if the goal is to secure a three conference alliance. The purpose is to prevent the other conferences from scooping up target schools and ensuring a six conference format. So, if the SEC does pick up A&M maybe it has to settle for ECU as opposed to UNC to balance out the division.

The idea would be that the alliance could sell its marquee basketball names, almost ahead of its football, but still provide a stable market, format and competition for alliance member schools.

Basically, TCU would ensure the Big XII gets to keep its contract rights it just signed. The ACC signed a huge basketball contract and the ACC is next in line. Imagine selling this to the networks:

Big East moves two more (in addition to TCU) to the Big XII for conference basketball play, probably DePaul and South Florida to accommodate travel better, for two 12 team and one 14 team conference slate. Split the three conferences into two divisions and declare the regular season champion receives automatic bid. Alliance Selection Committee seeds the tournament.

OR

Each conference could play their own post season tournament and move the 38 Alliance Team Tournament to a Holiday Tournament before the conference slate starts.

A 38 team two week extravaganza that precedes the NCAA Tournament. Top 5 teams get a play-in winner; Round of 32 and 16 one weekend at 4 sites; Top 8 tournament in New York the weekend before NCAA/Conference.

Bambi
08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Doesn't have to in this scenario if the goal is to secure a three conference alliance. The purpose is to prevent the other conferences from scooping up target schools and ensuring a six conference format. So, if the SEC does pick up A&M maybe it has to settle for ECU as opposed to UNC to balance out the division.

The idea would be that the alliance could sell its marquee basketball names, almost ahead of its football, but still provide a stable market, format and competition for alliance member schools.

Basically, TCU would ensure the Big XII gets to keep its contract rights it just signed. The ACC signed a huge basketball contract and the ACC is next in line. Imagine selling this to the networks:

Big East moves two more (in addition to TCU) to the Big XII for conference basketball play, probably DePaul and South Florida to accommodate travel better, for two 12 team and one 14 team conference slate. Split the three conferences into two divisions and declare the regular season champion receives automatic bid. Alliance Selection Committee seeds the tournament.

OR

Each conference could play their own post season tournament and move the 38 Alliance Team Tournament to a Holiday Tournament before the conference slate starts.

A 38 team two week extravaganza that precedes the NCAA Tournament. Top 5 teams get a play-in winner; Round of 32 and 16 one weekend at 4 sites; Top 8 tournament in New York the weekend before NCAA/Conference.

Duke, KU, UNC, Cuse, UCONN, etc etc all in one conference?

Who needs the NCAA tourney

HolyHandgernade
08-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Well, that would be the idea, lead with what is valuable for you. The Big XII can offer quality in both football and basketball. The Big East and ACC are mostly basketball first with one or two football teams that flirt with the Top 10 annually. The ACC and Big East offer market shares the SEC can only dream of, and when you combine that with Texas, KC and St. Louis becomes a real ratings powerhouse. It would probably take more than two networks to put together a financial package to satisfy it and there would be enough for the networks to share.

Of course, none of this may even be being discussed.

HolyHandgernade
08-17-2011, 08:09 PM

And don't forget Louisville, Texas, Notre Dame, Villanova, Missouri, Maryland. It could get as big a ratings a the NCAA. The Big East format alone last year was riveting national TV. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN/FOX mad that spectacle a near billion dollar deal all on its own. Add in the mini football playoff format. I was thinking this probably wouldn't work, but the more I think about it, I'm not so sure it wouldn't.

I think you would probably maximize your profit by making it a pre-conference tournament. Then, each conference could also negotiate their on post season tournament and maximize their chances for the highest seeds amongst alliance members.

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2011, 08:41 PM
This shit gets funnier with every post.

From "Oh no, another Big East foul fest is going to delay the tip off of Big Monday's Big 12 game"!!!!

To:

"Being in the Big East would rival NCAA tourney ratings"!!!

It's why we love you phoggies so damn much.

HolyHandgernade
08-17-2011, 10:29 PM

From "Oh no, another Big East foul fest is going to delay the tip off of Big Monday's Big 12 game"!!!!

To:

I know, you'll miss out in the MWC

Brock
08-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't want to go to there.

|Zach|
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Maybe you guys would stop getting owned by the Valley by making your own tournament.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 06:06 AM
This is the worst realignment idea I've ever heard.

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2011, 06:17 AM
I know, you'll miss out in the MWC

KU would never leave without their anchor.

buddha
08-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Of course, hoops will have nothing to do with the final sifting process. This is all driven by football money.

Beebe can meet all he wants...Missouri isn't going to end up in the Big East.

the Talking Can
08-18-2011, 06:24 AM
the big east can eat $#@!

HolyHandgernade
08-18-2011, 06:47 AM
KU would never leave without their anchor.

:toast:

Saulbadguy
08-18-2011, 07:11 AM

To:

HolyHandGernade is a genious. He can bang out several paragraphs like it was nothing without so much grazing a cogent post. That's hard to do.

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2011, 08:20 AM
I love the guy. He's a good guy.

ChiTown
08-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Maybe you guys would stop getting owned by the Valley by making your own tournament.

:clap:

Saulbadguy
08-18-2011, 08:22 AM
I love the guy. He's a good guy.

Very entertaining.

Mosbonian
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Of course, hoops will have nothing to do with the final sifting process. This is all driven by football money.

Beebe can meet all he wants...Missouri isn't going to end up in the Big East.

Just for grins and giggles....what is the comparison like for Football revenue vs. Basketball revenue?

I wouldn't want Mizzou in the Big East, but so far we have been kicked around like the child no one wants. We Tiger fans can puff out our chests but in reality no one has really indicated they are interested in us. (IMO the Big 10 bent us over)

We aren't the last kid picked in the kickball game, but we are starting to look like all that is left besides us is the fat kid (K-State) and the Nerd with Braces (KU).

HolyHandgernade
08-18-2011, 11:22 AM
HolyHandGernade is a genious. He can bang out several paragraphs like it was nothing without so much grazing a cogent post. That's hard to do.

Kinda like a walking thought experiment that's not afraid to mix it with a little alcohol every once and a while.