PDA

View Full Version : Obama Come September, Obama will give us the answer

HonestChieffan
08-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Somehow I don't hold out a lot of hope....http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2011/08/obama-jobs-package-debt-deal.html

On Day 938 of his presidency, Obama says he'll have a jobs plan in a month or so
August 17, 2011 | 5:22 am

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef015390c36452970b-600wi

OK, let's see if we can sort out this White House jobs package hocus-pocus because President Obama is counting on us not to. And no one wants to fail to disappoint him:

Last winter in his State of the Union address, oblivious to the gathering storm over the nation's national debt, the Democrat proposed massive new spending and loan programs -- he calls it investments -- to extend unemployment benefits and payroll tax cuts and to rebuild the nation's roads, bridges and other union-made infrastructure kinds of stuff. He had a plan he would share soon.

When in trouble, give a speech. Say, early September. Before all this Rick Perry 40% of the nation's jobs come from Texas stuff really gets going.

The president has mentioned the plan often, despite widespread skepticism due to the lack of stimulus that came from spending $787 billion in stimulus money that was for sure going to hold national unemployment at 8%, but it's now 9.1%.

So, perhaps another such plan might work.

As this administration sees reality, those Republican tea party terrorists kind of hijacked the marathon talks about raising the national debt ceiling, stubbornly and unreasonably making the debt negotiations over reducing the debt and spending rather than over spending spending.

As a result, it's all their fault that Standard & Poor's lowered the federal government's credit rating for the first time because the rating agency didn't see sufficient cuts.

The next day after the spending cuts agreement, with his obedient cabinet in attendance as witnesses, Obama said, yes, spending cuts were important as long as they didn't affect vast investments for the future to extend unemployment benefits and payroll tax cuts and to rebuild the nation's roads, bridges and other union-made infrastructure kinds of stuff.

Other Democrats are designing job plans costing $200 billion per year.

Because the country hasn't heard enough of Obama calling on Congress to do things and his job approval touched a new low of 39%, he laid on a three-day campaign swing through Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois this week at taxpayer-expense because the White House declared it an official trip.

Because Obama wanted to hear from regular Americans, he's encased in an armored Darth Vader bus with heavily-tinted windows so no one can see him looking out at regular Americans.

And as the commander-in-chief meanders through the Heartland in this black vehicle, the entire road in both directions is cleared of regular Americans for the president's entourage and motorcade to pass by safely.

The bus is reported to cost about $1 million, which works out to about $333,000 per day for this foray among regular Americans.

On its second day out Tuesday Obama's bus made a couple of stops to chat with high school athletes and to acquire healthy presidential provisions -- one for ice cream cones (POTUS got vanilla) and another to load several bags of popcorn.

At his speaking engagements, Obama stressed the need to extend payroll tax cuts and to rebuild the nation's roads, bridges and other union-made infrastructure kinds of stuff. Also some free-trade agreements. This was a repetition of what he had said on the first day of his Grand Ground Tour.

On his 938th day in office President Obama also said he would soon have a completed jobs plan. Maybe early fall, something like that. And he complained, "We could do even more if Congress is willing to get in the game."

Tomorrow with all this heavy work in his rear-view mirror, the president is scheduled to join his family on Martha's Vineyard for a nine-day vacation.

mlyonsd
08-17-2011, 10:34 AM
He'll have a plan written up just as soon as the SNL writers are finished with their season premiere episode.

alpha_omega
08-17-2011, 10:37 AM
This will warrant some type of Mega-Thread when announced.

ROYC75
08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
You have to "Pass August to find what's in the bill" !

ROYC75
08-17-2011, 12:07 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/17/obama-to-give-major-jobs-speech/

As he prepares to give a major speech with fresh ideas to jump-start the economy, President Obama told a Kansas City television station Tuesday that he wants to rein in the deficit in the long term in order to spend on jobs programs "here and now."

Two senior officials confirmed to Fox News that the president will deliver an address focused on jobs and deficit reduction next month. On the deficit front, he is expected to submit a plan to the newly formed bipartisan committee -- which is supposed to find $1.5 trillion in savings -- urging the panel to go beyond its mandate and seek more.

In an interview Tuesday, the president hinted that he wants to seek deeper savings down the road to pay for a bigger jobs program now.

"I think that we've got to take a longer term view -- how do we deal with our deficit and debt in a long-term way? If we get that under control, we can actually pay for some additional job programs in the here and now," Obama told FOX 4 in Kansas City. "It's that kind of combination that I want to be able to present to Congress when they come home."

The president repeatedly has pushed for an extension of the payroll tax cut, the approval of several international trade deals and an extension of jobless benefits. The jobs speech is expected to detail fresh ideas, including additional tax cut proposals.

But Republicans quickly voiced skepticism about the president's latest push. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell's office, under the heading of "here we go again," sent around a list of eight other jobs speeches Obama has given.

Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., urged the president to focus his new approach on encouraging the private sector to expand.

"If the president's proposals will just be once again ... reflecting his belief that you simply spend more money to create more jobs, it won't work," he told Fox News. "It's how we got into the downgrade that we're in."

House Speaker John Boehner and House Republican Leader Eric Cantor, in a USA Today op-ed Wednesday, urged Washington to pursue "pro-growth policies" that ease the tax burden on small business and roll back "redundant regulations."

The president's speech is expected right after the Sept. 5 Labor Day holiday.

Seeking re-election in a dispiriting economic time for the nation, Obama's rollout plan allows him to come into September swinging after one of the roughest periods of his presidency.

Obama has been rumbling through the Midwest all week, lobbying the locals along the way to help him pressure a divided Congress into working with him. He has one day of his bus tour left on Wednesday before returning to Washington and heading on a vacation with his family.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Wednesday that Obama will outline two proposals in September. One will be a jobs plan and the other will be a deficit plan he'll submit directly to the bipartisan committee. Carney, on MSNBC, said that plan will be "entirely consistent" with the outline Obama and Boehner discussed before congressional leaders scrapped it -- later moving to a plan to raise the debt ceiling and cut the deficit by as much as $2.4 trillion over the next decade.

Obama has talked about a plan that cuts $4 trillion from the deficit over a slightly longer period of time. It's unclear how big the plan he's proposing will be -- the talks with Boehner were over a package containing somewhere between $3 trillion and $4 trillion in savings.

Without offering any specifics about his plans, the president has been telling audiences he will get detailed in September, and then fight it out.

"My attitude is, get it done," he said in one Iowa town hall on Monday. "And if they (lawmakers) don't get it done, then we'll be running against a Congress that's not doing anything for the American people, and the choice will be very stark and will be very clear."

Nearly 14 million people are unemployed. Many millions more have given up looking for jobs or haven't found a way to move from part-time to full-time work.

The unemployment rate is at 9.1 percent. No president in recent history has been re-elected with a jobless rate nearly that high.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/17/obama-to-give-major-jobs-speech/#ixzz1VJJ9QiIH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, this would be great except for the fact every administration, every change of the House, Senate can never keep anything long term in check. Either party preferences take over or another war is started.

A solid long term solution would be great, seriously, one with the proper spending cuts with revenue increasing. But to get it with the partisan politics politicians use is impossible. This is the biggest reason we do not need to drive anymore deficits and need to stop spending,NOW. Our generation and the previous built this mess and it needs to be addressed now, not later.

blaise
08-17-2011, 12:29 PM
The marketing plan will be done by then and he'll know which catchprases people respond to best.

RNR
08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Why does it have to be a black bus??? That shit is racist~

booger
08-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Why does it have to be a black bus??? That shit is racist~

speaking of the bus, i thought i read somewhere on one of the threads here that they bought both buses from France? If true the bastard better get pounded in the press about that.

petegz28
08-17-2011, 05:09 PM
speaking of the bus, i thought i read somewhere on one of the threads here that they bought both buses from France? If true the bastard better get pounded in the press about that.

Canada is where the shell of the bus was made.

booger
08-17-2011, 05:25 PM

I read the other thread now, found it. Thanks

fan4ever
08-17-2011, 05:32 PM

You're kidding, right? Pounded by the press? Hell, they'll talk about what brilliant foreign policy it was.

booger
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
You're kidding, right? Pounded by the press? Hell, they'll talk about what brilliant foreign policy it was.

Most will yes. I was just thinking as someone who has worked much of my past in manufacturing, i would be irate if it was bought from overseas. No reason it couldn't be bought from whatever manufacture they liked and fabricated/retrofitted here in the US.

On top of it all i believe he was Giving GM a lecture that they couldn't just make money on their trucks and SUV's. Maybe he has a manufacturing czar among his roster of czars. When it comes to things like not being able to get a certain product that was made overseas and the reason or reasons as to why it can't be made here i would be asking/demanding answers.

I realize the man hours that go into making a product reflect the final cost. Also unions raising wages and cost of health insurance for companies along is a major reason stuff gets farmed out overseas. I would just think he is on a trip talking about the problems facing this country he might think about those things riding in the bus he is.

Saul Good
08-17-2011, 05:54 PM

I believe the manufacturer is a French company.

orange
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I believe the manufacturer is a French company.

A French name - Canadian French - Prevost - but they're now a Volvo subsidiary.