PDA

View Full Version : Life Hey attorneys on here...

luv
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Just curious how most of you do your hiring process. I'm looking to move next year, and I want to make sure I'm prepared for sending out resumes and going to job interviews in law firms.

I know, I got my current job, which is in a law firm, but that is due to the paralegal here having been one of my teachers. They needed temp help while they looked through resumes, so she talked them into letting me fill in. The hiring attorney was impressed with my Word skills (which didn't take much, actually) and decided I was worth bringing in and working with. I survived my probationary period, and here I am...a legal assistant.

Anyway, what impresses you most about a resume? Do lean more towards educational background, professional networking, or job experience? Do you expect to see a portfolio? Do you have people type letters or do transcription as part of the process?

By the time I move, I will have an AD as a Paralegal, and I will have a year and a half worth of experience in a law office. My law office houses a mediator and two attorneys who do mainly contracts, transactions (business, real estate, etc), probate, and estate planning. In other words, no litigation, so I'll be very vanilla in that area.

Also, how are the job markets in your areas for those of us looking to assist you?

tooge
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
what, you can't smell em?

phisherman
08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
my old employer in KC, Lathrop & Gage, seemed to frequently hire new Paralegals and Legal Assistants.

Demonpenz
08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Gin and Juice-Phish!.mp3

luv
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
my old employer in KC, Lathrop & Gage, seemed to frequently hire new Paralegals and Legal Assistants.

Ah. I'm familiar with their local firm here. I like it when I call them to come pick up items. They have some cute guys that work there. :)

MIAdragon
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I have a few attorney friends, they all seem to hire based on bust size and skirt legenth.

Deberg_1990
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Just curious how most of you do your hiring process.

Please send us a headshot along with bust/waist/hips size please.

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Luv, does your current firm do summer associates for law students?

Cave Johnson
08-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I have a few attorney friends, they all seem to hire based on bust size and skirt legenth.

That'd work well with my male clients and probably piss off the females.

luv
08-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Luv, does your current firm do summer associates for law students?

Nope.

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Nope.

Not even unpaid internships?

Iowanian
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
So this employer brought you in uneducated and inexperienced, gave you a job, an opportunity and a skill set, and you're planning on taking a dump on them as soon as you're actually prepared to do the job they hired and trained you to perform?

That doesn't sound very greatful. Are they pricks to work for, any moreso than any attorney you find?

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
So this employer brought you in uneducated and inexperienced, gave you a job, an opportunity and a skill set, and you're planning on taking a dump on them as soon as you're actually prepared to do the job they hired and trained you to perform?

That doesn't sound very greatful. Are they pricks to work for, any moreso than any attorney you find?

:spock:

MIAdragon
08-17-2011, 01:55 PM
That'd work well with my male clients and probably piss off the females.

I think its simply expected here in Miami.

MIAdragon
08-17-2011, 01:56 PM

This would be the case if she was looking to stay in the area, but it sounds like she's looking to relocate.

Pants
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
This would be the case if she was looking to stay in the area, but it sounds like she's looking to relocate.

Still a shitty thing to do.

Iowanian
08-17-2011, 02:00 PM

That makes more sense.

luv
08-17-2011, 02:01 PM

I plan on moving. I guess I didn't mention that? They are great to work for, however, even if I was staying in the area, this is a starter job. There's no room for advancement, its pay is very limited, and there is a lot of down time. Even the paralegal here said that the shelf life for a person doing this job is probably two years max - that goes for pay and opportunity.

Iowanian
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
"making a move" has many meanings.

Some people make a move....to a new job....a switch, a change.
Some people make a move to another city.
some people make moves with a bottle of vitamin packed juice and a half buttoned shirt.

If you've said you were moving, I must have missed that entry in your diary. Good luck.

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Kind of curious luv: how much substantive law did the education teach you, do you know, and that firms want you to know?

luv
08-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Kind of curious luv: how much substantive law did the education teach you, do you know, and that firms want you to know?

Basically enough to understand why we do what we do, instead of just how to do it (i.e. how the information on a form affects a case). Learned a lot of procedural stuff, of course. Definitely learned more substantive Bankruptcy law than I wanted to know...lol.

Not sure how much a firm expects me to know. I definitely know estate planning, probate (some), and business contracts. I deal with them everyday.

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Basically enough to understand why we do what we do, instead of just how to do it (i.e. how the information on a form affects a case). Learned a lot of procedural stuff, of course. Definitely learned more substantive Bankruptcy law than I wanted to know...lol.

That's a pretty big field right now.

luv
08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
That's a pretty big field right now.

Bankruptcy? Yeah. For a paralegal, it's definitely a LOT of information gathering, forms, etc. Also federal, so electronic filing.