PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Describe what you think is the average voter in America

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 01:05 PM
What do you think his personality and background is like?

Discuss Thrower
08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Doesn't get terribly involved in the issues, votes based on what they think will be the best for themselves / family and arrive at that juncture on whomever has the "best" message that reaches out to them.

evenfall
08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Stupid. Mainly votes on emotion, except when the economy gives them a major reason to go another way.

evenfall
08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Doesn't get terribly involved in the issues, votes based on what they think will be the best for themselves / family and arrive at that juncture on whomever has the "best" message that reaches out to them.

Well, some truth to this too.

Splitting it out by gender, women mainly choose based on emotion. Men tend to choose based on their pocketbook, with some of their own brand of emotion mixed in.

petegz28
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Emotional over the issues, doesn't see past themselves, never bothers to follow up on what a politician says then bitches when the guy they voted for didn't do what he thought he would

Discuss Thrower
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
On the other hand, there are groups that fixate on an issue: gun control, abortion, gay rights, and entitlements. I can't say how big these groups are, but they're able to swing the outcome of elections.

blaise
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Fat, and they mostly decide who to vote for based on an SNL skit, or a Jay Leno joke, or some email that was forwarded around the country.

HonestChieffan
08-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Has one tit, one ball, has a period every other month. Since its average, it pays income tax. It has some education, some stocks, and owns some farmland and a few parts of a motorcyle and a tiny itty bitty piece of a corporate jet.

Jaric
08-17-2011, 01:33 PM
My impression of the mob is that of a generally well intentioned, but ignorant person.

ChiTown
08-17-2011, 01:47 PM
My impression of the mob is that of a generally well intentioned, but ignorant person.

This x 2.

durtyrute
08-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Someone who thinks his vote matters. Someone who thinks that the two parties are different. Someone who thinks it makes sense that out of all of the people in the United States, we only get to pick between a handfull of them and out of that handfull they pick the one that has the best t.v ads.

Pestilence
08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
A pain in my ass.

I work in elections.

orange
08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Someone who thinks it makes sense that out of all of the people in the United States, we only get to pick between a handfull of them

Someone who understands what "entrant" means and how brackets work.

ROYC75
08-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Simple, most of the ones do not do any researches on a candidate, they wait till a month or two before an election or it's too easy to pick the lever and go straight ticket. People with none or very little common sense, always too busy wrapped up in themselves and expect the politicians to do the right thing since they voted for them.

Too much party line ballots and mind or matters. What? What is mind or matters? They don't care to mind what really matters.

Calcountry
08-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Jenson, average voters are just like you. Exceptional voters are like me.

vailpass
08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Ah don't care what da issues iz I just know I likes him.

Saulbadguy
08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Depends if they use the electronic machine or paper ballot.

ROYC75
08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Depends if they use the electronic machine or paper ballot.

Why?

Is there a different prize at the end of the line ?

prhom
08-17-2011, 09:20 PM
They would rather go to the dentist and have a colonoscopy in the same day than spend a few hours going over their ballot sheets and researching the candidates' platforms. They think that the PUSA is the primary driving force behind creating new laws rather than their congressmen and women. They think voting for a third-party candidate is a waste of a vote and won't vote for one even if they most closely represent their personal views.

You can't really describe an average background for voters I don't think, though it seems that young people and middle-class white-collar folks inexplicably tend not to vote.

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I think the average voter today is more educated than the average voter 60 years ago. Does anyone disagree with me?

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 09:23 PM
middle-class white-collar folks inexplicably tend not to vote.

Why do you think that?

prhom
08-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I think the average voter today is more educated than the average voter 60 years ago. Does anyone disagree with me?

In terms of the level of formal education, or ito their political education?

prhom
08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Why do you think that?

It's really anecdotal, I don't have stats or anything. I have talked to many people in that demographic that tell me they don't vote. They don't have time, their vote won't count, their spouse would just cancel their vote, etc., these are all things I've heard. It's pretty disappointing.

Jenson71
08-17-2011, 09:28 PM
In terms of the level of formal education, or ito their political education?

Formal - definitely. Civics education - yes, but it's still in need of work because of how big and complex it has gotten.

Saulbadguy
08-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Why?

Is there a different prize at the end of the line ?

Only dumbasses choose the paper ballot over the machine.

ROYC75
08-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Only dumbasses choose the paper ballot over the machine.

What?

The question in the OP was .......

Describe what you think is the average voter in America

You said ....Depends if they use the electronic machine or paper ballot.

I said , Why ?As in why does it matter when it comes to their personality or background ?

:shake:

prhom
08-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Formal - definitely. Civics education - yes, but it's still in need of work because of how big and complex it has gotten.

Formal educational attainment is undoubtedly higher, but the political education is much, much lower. I think a lot of that is due to short attention spans, and the desire for constant entertainment. Only a small fraction of the population is ever going to truly interested in politics and the mechanics of an effective government. The majority only becomes interested when they experience personal discomfort in their lives. Because they are only interested in eliminating the discomfort, they are prone to manipulation and exploitation by willing politicians. Americans today don't feel that sacrifice and hard work are necessary to improve our country for the next generation. The spirit of Kennedy's quote "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" is pretty much lost. You never hear people discussing how "we" can fix the country's problems, it's always "what is government going to do to fix this".

RJ
08-17-2011, 10:07 PM

He's very loyal (or dumb). He almost always votes for his favorite team and will vote the same people back into office for as long as they are eligible.

He's also fearful. Nothing can motivate him to get out to vote more than fear.

Ugly Duck
08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Low-information & susceptible to believing whatever propaganda they see repeated most often on the tube. Inadequate attention span to facilitate valid research.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/Maniaco78/SLOWSLAP.gif

wazu
08-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Low-information & susceptible to believing whatever propaganda they see repeated most often on the tube. Inadequate attention span to facilitate valid research.[/img]

Perfect.

Bump
08-17-2011, 11:29 PM
the people who vote are the people who this government cares least about. What's even the point of voting? If you think it makes a difference who's in office, you're very very naive.

Saulbadguy
08-18-2011, 06:40 AM
What?

The question in the OP was .......

Describe what you think is the average voter in America

You said ....Depends if they use the electronic machine or paper ballot.

I said , Why ?As in why does it matter when it comes to their personality or background ?

:shake:

Ok, people who use the paper ballot (as opposed to the machine) have the personality of a dishrag and the background of a barn cat.

FishingRod
08-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Unintentionally intellectually dishonest. They believe what they believe and accept as fact information that supports it and disregard that which contradicts their beliefs. Unqualified to empty the contents of their own boot.

ROYC75
08-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Low-information & susceptible to believing whatever propaganda they see repeated most often on the tube. Inadequate attention span to facilitate valid research.

:clap:
Awesome job Duck. The majority of the media is a massive Liberal spin. You just described the liberal Loons of America.

I knew you had it in ya. The seed has been planted, you have realized the problem, now convert before you help waste a good country. ;)

ROYC75
08-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Ok, people who use the paper ballot (as opposed to the machine) have the personality of a dishrag and the background of a barn cat.

The OP mentioned nothing about a paper ballot or electronic machines.

I'm sure we all are wondering how you came up with this from the question in the OP?:rolleyes:

Saulbadguy
08-18-2011, 07:03 AM
The OP mentioned nothing about a paper ballot or electronic machines.

I'm sure we all are wondering how you came up with this from the question in the OP?:rolleyes:

I qualified my response with a condition that was not specified in the OP. I believed the question was too general.

Deberg_1990
08-18-2011, 07:08 AM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bg98BvqUvCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
08-18-2011, 07:09 AM
I think this covers it pretty well. The average voter doesn't really know much about what/who they're voting on. Hell, there are even some people in this forum (who are generally better informed than the average dolt) who don't recognize that the democrat party of the past several decades is the primary source of our current fiscal problems or that Ron Paul's foreign policy is ridiculous.

Screwtape #20: Understanding the American voter (http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/graham/041019)
By Adam Graham

To: The Kerry Campaign, National Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, National Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee

Subject: Understanding the American Voter

As our candidates prepare for the last two weeks of the campaign, it must be asked, "What is the most important thing to remember in framing our campaign?"

I believe it is simple enough, the average American voter is an idiot. I'm not exaggerating. Take the recent Presidential debates, particularly the foreign policy debate. Even with the level of explanation provided by Jim Lehrer, did most voters know what either candidate was talking about when they debated the Sudan or North Korea?

The answer's no. Then how did people make their decision? People came into the debate trying to figure out either which candidate sounded smarter or which candidate sounded tough, or who had good body language. Thus, while those of us who know what's going on in politics know a candidate's totally lying, your average voter is sitting there going, "Wow, look at that body language!" , "He really sounds like he knows what he's talking about.," or "Boy, he sounds real tough!."

The American people make the judgment over whether someone should be entrusted with the fate of the world, based on body language. I can imagine some hick in Florida commenting as a Republican launches a nuclear first strike, "Well, he sure SOUNDED smart during the debates..."

Second, some people actually make their decisions based on what the newspaper tells them. This works to our advantage in most cases. The newspapers merely state their endorsements in a way that indicates that they're making an objective judgment such as "Barack Obama is the best candidate for the US Senate." The unreasoning votes accordingly, never asking themselves, "By what standards is he the best candidate? What issues does this paper use to make their endorsements?" Unfortunately, thanks to the Internet, these saps are an endangered species.

If asked to identify themselves as "pro-life" or "Pro-Choice" many Americans seem to be making random declarations. Polls show that anywhere from 40 to 60% of Americans identify themselves as pro-choice which means at least 20% of Americans are actually "multiple-choice."

People have no clue what's going on. They don't know what the major parties stand for and they don't know what the candidates stand for. Instead of learning party platforms, they learn slogans such as "The Republicans are racists," "The Democrats are the party of the working man," and "The Republicans are the party of the rich." Republicans go on TV to try and refute these points, but luckily for us, most Americans are watching Baywatch reruns instead.

Also, consider the sorry state of affairs given the fact that yard signs and billboards work. We Consultants are very picky about the way our signs look because successful campaigns have great yard signs. People go into the voting booth and vote based on the color scheme of yard signs as well as the number of yard signs in their area.

We, as Democrats have played well to the stupidity of the American people. That's why celebrities play such a prominent role in our campaigns, because we enjoy a huge advantage over the Republicans in terms of the star power of our celebrities. Throw partisanship aside, who'd you rather see Robin Williams and Bruce Springteen or Ben Stein and Charlie Daniels? When they see a big actor make an endorsement, they're moved beyond logic or their own beliefs to back that candidate. They never think once, "This guy just says lines that other people wrote and has no training to talk about matters of war and peace." They think, "Wow, wasn't he in a war movie once?" or "He played a doctor on ER, he knows about health care.."

We also have Rock the Vote, which tells kids it's cool to vote, doesn't really give them objective information, but does get them to register to vote and cast a completely uninformed ballot based on the bias of MTV's producers which obviously suits our needs.

Republicans have joined in insulting voters' intelligence recently. Arnold Schwarzenegger addressing the convention showed that. The GOP tries to get the people to love their celebrities, but with much less effect. Who cares if Stephen Baldwin's for Bush? Same thing, for Ron Silver. I liked him on the West Wing, but he amounts to little more than a character actor.

The GOP still has made some strides this election. The latest example being their assault on John Kerry as "not a good man" for mentioning the well-known fact that Mary Cheney is a lesbian. The Bush camp is playing on the American people's feeling that it's wrong to mention family, even if the life of your family shows you to be hypocrite. Thus, George W. Bush is a hypocrite for opposing gay marriage because his Vice-President's daughter is gay and you must hate gays in order to oppose gay marriage (unless you oppose gay marriage only in the abstract but will do nothing to stop it in actuality in which case you can be both a supporter of gay rights and an opponent of same sex marriage).

There are several key ways to exploit stupidity:

If you have any famous endorsers, showcase them. Have them give a speech and do not stop them no matter how much they ramble because the people will eat it up.

Get outraged about something your opponent said. Rarely do people stop and say, "It's no big deal." If you're outraged, the whole world is outraged with you.

If your opponent supported the Iraq war, ask him to personally take responsibility for every casualty in Iraq. If he replies that the deaths are the responsibility of the terrorists, declare what a bad person he is for refusing to take responsibility. If he does take responsibility, congratulate him and then attack him for causing the deaths of 1,000 US soldiers in your next TV ad.

Send out anonymous phone messages telling people your opponent is awful. Stop short only of slander in using a phone tree machine. You will not believe how many people have unquestioned belief in those who call them on the phone. Telemarketing scams are very prevalent as many people will give out their Social Security number, credit card, and bank account because someone called them on the phone and asked.

Find people who claim to be Republicans to endorse you. They can be obscure people. They can be relatives, but one of the most best ads you can run is an ad where people declare they are Republicans but are voting for you because you're pro-choice. What's great about this is that many states have no party registration, so anyone can claim to be a Republican.

If you're running in an area where Bush is popular, don't put a donkey on your signs or literature. In addition, embrace some of the President's ideas (if you weren't able to embrace the President himself as Tom Daschle did) in your literature. Your job is to make people look past the fact that you're not a Conservative. Agree with Bush on 1 or 2 issues in your literature and the media will at the least be able to identify you as a moderate.

Follow these easy steps and you'll fool the American people. Not that that's particularly hard, but it must be done if you want to get elected.

Regards,

Dave Screwtape

The Screwtape Report is written by Adam Graham. The Screwtape Report is written from a Democratic perspective by a conservative in order to reveal Democratic strategy and thinking.