PDA

View Full Version : Economics Michelle Bachmann: "I'll bring back $2 gas"

Count Alex's Losses
08-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I hate this bitch so fucking much.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/2011/08/18/news/economy/bachmann_gas_prices/bachman-dollar.gi.top.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/news/economy/bachmann_gas_prices/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- President Michele Bachmann has a promise: $2 gas.

"Under President Bachmann you will see gasoline come down below $2 a gallon again," Bachmann told a crowd Tuesday in South Carolina. "That will happen."

Sure, politicians promise all kinds of things on the campaign trail. But Bachmann, a leading contender for the 2012 Republican nomination, is wading into truly tricky territory.

The price Americans pay at the pump is tied to the crude oil market -- a global system largely beyond the reach of Washington.

It's certainly true that prices -- now about $3.50 a gallon on average -- have risen since President Obama took office.

"The day that the president became president gasoline was $1.79 a gallon," Bachmann said. "Look what it is today."

Of course, that's not the full story.

When Obama took office, the country was mired in a terrible economic contraction.

"That was in the 4th inning of the greatest recession of our lifetime," said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service.

During recessions, demand for gasoline plummets as trucks pull off the road, companies cut back on travel and laid off workers drive fewer miles.

Obama's desperate SPR oil play

"You have to be careful what you wish for because the recipe for cheap prices these days is economic disaster," Kloza said.

Since early 2009, the economy has recovered somewhat and demand for crude has risen. It has even spiked in the developing world -- especially in China, India and South America.

Kloza said that increased crude demand is the principal driver behind higher gas prices.

"We're going to have to recognize the rest of the world has this increasing appetite for oil," he said. "If we go below $2 a gallon, it probably means there has been a lot of wealth loss and we are in a deflationary period."

There are some measures that could be taken to lower gas prices, according to Phil Flynn, a senior market analyst at PFG Best.

A stronger dollar would take pressure off prices, and reducing the number of miles Americans drive in gasoline-powered cars would also weaken demand.
"I never say never," Flynn said. "But whether or not Bachmann can do that in four years is a tall order."

Bachmann did not lay out a specific plan to drop prices on Tuesday. But her campaign website says that as president, she would ease restrictions on drilling and roll back federal regulations on the shale gas industry.

While increased oil and gas drilling in the United States may create good-paying jobs, reduce reliance on foreign oil and lower the trade deficit, it would have little impact on gas and oil prices.

Drill baby drill won't lower gas prices

That's because the amount of extra oil that could be produced from more drilling in this country is tiny compared to what the country -- and the world -- consumes.

Plus, any extra oil the United States did produce would likely be quickly offset by a cut in OPEC production.

According to a 2009 study from the government's Energy Information Administration, opening up to drilling areas off the East Coast, West Coast and the west coast of Florida would yield an extra 500,000 barrels a day by 2030.

The world currently consumes 89 million barrels a day, and by then would likely be using over 100 million barrels.

After OPEC got done adjusting its production to reflect the increased American output, gas prices might drop a whopping three cents a gallon, the study said.

ChiTown
08-18-2011, 09:17 AM
:facepalm:

Fish
08-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Good fucking grief... And the bad part is, there's millions of idiots out there that will get behind her thinking that it's possible...

SNR
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
During recessions, demand for gasoline plummets as trucks pull off the road, companies cut back on travel and laid off workers drive fewer miles.Yeah, but cheap gas was still fucking awesome.

blaise
08-18-2011, 09:26 AM
I could go outside and find 5 people in an hour I'd rather see as President.

evenfall
08-18-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't think its unreasonable to think that if this country had a coherent energy policy, one where drilling and exploration had some part, where we abandoned ethanol dilution requirements, and where we eased the onerous fuel tax burden which is a tax on people who can least afford more taxes right now... I don't think its crazy to think we could get back into the $2 neighborhood.

She is smartly attacking the Obama regime on fuel prices because they at best dint care, more likely, they see high fuel prices as a long term good.

Dayze
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM

LMAO
that's awesome. I'm going to use that line, if you don't mind.:D

mlyonsd
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Somebody might want to point out to her she's holding a $20.

ChiTown
08-18-2011, 09:30 AM

:LOL:

Jaric
08-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw a simpsons episode where Homer tried something like this when he ran for office. If I remember correctly they ended up having to move the town 15 minutes down the road because he completely destroyed it.

Fish
08-18-2011, 09:31 AM
She is smartly attacking the Obama regime on fuel prices because they at best dint care, more likely, they see high fuel prices as a long term good.

She is stupidly attacking the Obama regime on something neither she, nor Obama have any control over at all.

blaise
08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw a simpsons episode where Homer tried something like this when he ran for office. If I remember correctly they ended up having to move the town 15 minutes down the road because he completely destroyed it.

The Garbage Man episode. I was actually saying Obama reminded me of that episode a few days ago.

They had a "The Garbage Man" parody set to the tune of "The Candy Man"

Jaric
08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
The Garbage Man episode. I was actually saying Obama reminded me of that episode a few days ago.

They had a "The Garbage Man" parody set to the tune of "The Candy Man"

The garbage man caaaaan!!!!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xLk_pjpZB3g/0.jpg

stevieray
08-18-2011, 09:36 AM
She is stupidly attacking the Obama regime on something neither she, nor Obama have any control over at all.

drilling bans and taxes on gas don't effect the price?

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 09:43 AM
I think that we could get back to $2 gas.

Even if we can't, isn't it worth drilling trillions of dollars out of the ground? How's that for a stimulus?

mlyonsd
08-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I think that we could get back to $2 gas.

Even if we can't, isn't it worth drilling trillions of dollars out of the ground? How's that for a stimulus?I don't know if we could get it down that far but there is no doubt government interference accounts for some of the money in each gallon of gas.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Ok she has my vote!

Ebolapox
08-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Good fucking grief... And the bad part is, there's millions of idiots out there that will get behind her thinking that it's possible...

the same dolts that fell for 'hope and change' will get behind this shit.

Saul Good
08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
the same dolts that fell for 'hope and change' will get behind this shit.

Obama voters?

Fish
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Perhaps a few cents in some locations. Nothing anywhere close to what Crazyeyes is promising.

Ebolapox
08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Obama voters?

some of them, sure. the swing vote that obama did a hell of a job snowballing go for shit like this. you know, mindless, stupid as fuck rhetoric.

Ebolapox
08-18-2011, 10:34 AM
in other words... the voting public is filled with fucking morons.

RedNeckRaider
08-18-2011, 10:35 AM
some of them, sure. the swing vote that obama did a hell of a job snowballing go for shit like this. you know, mindless, stupid as **** rhetoric.

Food stamps trumps cheap gas~

blaise
08-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Taco Bell sells $1 gas.

sd4chiefs
08-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I had to stop watching the news because everytime I turned it on this crazy ass b*tch was on it saying crazy ass sh*t. :banghead:

stevieray
08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Perhaps a few cents in some locations. Nothing anywhere close to what Crazyeyes is promising.

are you ****ing insane? a few cents? first you said nothing at all..

:rolleyes:

blaise
08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I had to stop watching the news because everytime I turned it on this crazy ass b*tch was on it saying crazy ass sh*t. :banghead:

Some guys on the radio yesterday were mimicking her voice as if she were nagging her husband. "Did you take out the traaash?" And I thought, "Wow, she really does seem like an annoying bitch."

Dave Lane
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM

She meant $20 she just slipped a decimal point. LMAO

orange
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I have every confidence that we would see $2/gallon gasoline under a Bachmann presidency, almost immediately. The debt ceiling will be reached early in the new administration and the fork would be stuck in us once and for all.

Cave Johnson
08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I have every confidence that we would see $2/gallon gasoline under a Bachmann presidency, almost immediately. The debt ceiling will be reached early in the new administration and the fork would be stuck in us once and for all.

Beat me to it, dammit.

Radar Chief
08-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Depending on the state as much as $.30->$.70 per gallon goes to federal and state taxes. Some states even allow sales tax on top of the federal and state taxes.

FD
08-18-2011, 12:30 PM
This is not just possible but perfectly consistent with her other policies. Gas fell below $2 briefly during the global crisis in 2008. She says she wont raise the debt limit, which would require a fall in GDP even larger than that experienced at the height of the crisis, so its reasonable to expect that the Bachmann recession would lower gas prices to around $2.

BWillie
08-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I am never voting for this woman. She must have no idea, I mean no idea, how the oil industry works. And she's making promises like that, quantitative ones at that.

Chief Faithful
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Maybe she can maybe she can't, but it sure would be nice to see our leadership try.

gblowfish
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM

I's be hypno-tized!!!

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eesuH_9bSjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BucEyedPea
08-18-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think its unreasonable to think that if this country had a coherent energy policy, one where drilling and exploration had some part, where we abandoned ethanol dilution requirements, and where we eased the onerous fuel tax burden which is a tax on people who can least afford more taxes right now... I don't think its crazy to think we could get back into the $2 neighborhood.

LOL :hmmm:

Aries Walker
08-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I shudder to think of which country she'd invade in order to make this happen.

BucEyedPea
08-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I shudder to think of which country she'd invade in order to make this happen.

...eventhough it raises the price. Remember how it was during Iraq?
Yet, patteeu claims we're defending our economic interests.

Count Alex's Losses
08-18-2011, 06:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cRA6l.jpg

Okie_Apparition
08-18-2011, 07:07 PM
She's Steve Buscemi in drag

Hog Farmer
08-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Good ****ing grief... And the bad part is, there's millions of idiots out there that will get behind her thinking that it's possible...

I'd like to get behind her !

Brock
08-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Fish
08-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Depending on the state as much as $.30->$.70 per gallon goes to federal and state taxes. Some states even allow sales tax on top of the federal and state taxes.

Seriously? How?

Count Alex's Losses
08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/0J9Nh.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-19-2011, 01:16 AM
The overwhelming majority of the cost people pay at the pump is a direct result of oil speculation due to exemptions given to companies that allow them to treat it like any other physical commodity (corn, beans, etc.).

It got so bad that in 2008, before it was consumed, every barrel of oil was traded around 28 times. It artificially jacks up the price because the large institutional investors are always going long on it, thinking that there is no price too big to pay for an inelastic resource.

rrl308
08-19-2011, 04:35 AM

Only 5?

Radar Chief
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Seriously? How?

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

I’ve heard it called Road Tax but that carries a different definition at Wikipedia, regardless it is a tax placed on the gas to be used for road going vehicles and is supposed to go to support highway maintenance.

Fish
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

I’ve heard it called Road Tax but that carries a different definition at Wikipedia, regardless it is a tax placed on the gas to be used for road going vehicles and is supposed to go to support highway maintenance.

OK, so that's used for other things like highway maintenance. What would replace that if the tax were to go away? You can't just remove that for the sake of lowering gas prices unless you have some way of replacing that funding that states are currently receiving. Otherwise the states would never allow it. And considering that it varies state by state, how do you expect Crazyeyes to just eliminate something like that nation wide?

Ace Gunner
08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Corndog1-384x288.jpg

$2 blowjobs would be more believable

Brock
08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/0J9Nh.jpg

k, that one's better than mine.

banyon
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Donger says the prices are just where they ought to be and that there is no manipulation or unjust enrichment going on, so i don't see how this is possible.

Jim Jones
08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Bachmann sounds like someone running for school class president.

"I'LL BRING CANDY BACK TO THE VENDING MACHINES...AND CHOCOLATE MILK FOR EVERYONE!"

Radar Chief
08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
OK, so that's used for other things like highway maintenance. What would replace that if the tax were to go away? You can't just remove that for the sake of lowering gas prices unless you have some way of replacing that funding that states are currently receiving. Otherwise the states would never allow it. And considering that it varies state by state, how do you expect Crazyeyes to just eliminate something like that nation wide?

Perhaps a few cents in some locations.

This is what I was addressing because I didn’t think you understood the impact of taxes, both state and federal, on the price of gas at the pump. I wasn’t addressing the wisdom of removing those taxes but if you want I have a few opinions on that also.
As long as this tax revenue is used as it is supposed to be, for highway maintenance/new highway construction, I’m fine with paying a few extra cents at the pump. But we both know that’s not always how it works with the government, money gets diverted from Peter to pay Paul, and I have yet to see gas taxes go down when the revenue is more than needed to maintain highways. Besides wasn’t some of that “stimulus” supposed to be to rebuild “crumbling infrastructure” like highways, “shovel ready jobs” and all? What happened to that? No really, what happened?
I haven’t listened to nor read enough of Bachman to know WTH she’s talking about here but if we could switch our transportation industry from Diesel to Natural Gas we remove a lot of stress from the petroleum fuel market right there. Switch more electricity production from fuel oil (more Diesel consumption) to nuclear where possible or clean burning coal where it isn’t and we cut even more strain from petroleum products we consume.
Include more drilling for domestic oil, as long as we can assure that oil stays here in the US, and we have reduced our consumption overall but more importantly reduce reliance on foreign oil.
So if this is what ole “Crazy eyes” is saying she isn’t all that far off. Obviously it isn’t as simple as saying so and it’ll happen, it would take decades of work to do all that.

Cannibal
08-19-2011, 03:40 PM
k, that one's better than mine.

Oh god that's funniest thing I've seen in a couple of weeks. LMAO

KCTitus
08-19-2011, 06:20 PM
crude, or more to the point, crude futures are traded in dollars....when the dollar is inflated the price goes up.

True, demand increases prices as well, but when dollars are worth less, the foreign exporters are not going to take worthless paper at the same rate, thus the increase in price.

As Mr. Kloza states, a stronger dollar would drop prices, as would an increase in supply. Lower prices would also stimulate demand in the US and thus improve the economy.

I think a stronger dollar and increased supply would be a good thing regardless what OPEC does.

I certainly dont like paying $3-4 a gallon.

Calcountry
08-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm still waiting for the sea level to be lowered by the dumfug. Way more outrageous than her claim.

banyon
08-20-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm still waiting for the sea level to be lowered by the dumfug. Way more outrageous than her claim.

I couldn't find any record of him promising to lower sea levels.

RedNeckRaider
08-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I couldn't find any record of him promising to lower sea levels.

The fact you had to look rasies a red flag I would think ;)

banyon
08-20-2011, 06:47 PM
The fact you had to look rasies a red flag I would think ;)

Well I wanted to make sure bunnytdr wasn't making crap up again. :D

evenfall
08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
crude, or more to the point, crude futures are traded in dollars....when the dollar is inflated the price goes up.

True, demand increases prices as well, but when dollars are worth less, the foreign exporters are not going to take worthless paper at the same rate, thus the increase in price.

As Mr. Kloza states, a stronger dollar would drop prices, as would an increase in supply. Lower prices would also stimulate demand in the US and thus improve the economy.

I think a stronger dollar and increased supply would be a good thing regardless what OPEC does.

I certainly dont like paying $3-4 a gallon.

Those are some of the factors I had in mind when I said I thought it was possible.

If we removed the shocking level of fuel taxation, which is a tax directly stifling commerce, that would peel $.50 off in many places. If we got out financial house in order nationally and the dollar stopped crumbling, that would help. If our government oriented policy toward reducing foreign dependence through actually viable programs and not pet projects that don't yield any value (except seemingly creating more "green" for businessmen who also happen to be supporters...)

The point of it all is that of course oil prices float and you can't control them directly. Bachmann shouldn't have said this, at least not in this way. But nearly every government policy causes price increases, right now. We can change that. It doesn't have to get to $2 to significantly reduce the fuel cost burden on the middle class and its effect on inflation.

You'd think the Obama admin. would be willing to try anything for some growth right now...

RedNeckRaider
08-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Nice recovery :)

RedNeckRaider
08-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Was that Calcountry's old name? I recall it, but I will be danged if I can keep up with name changes. I switched to RNR for a short time and nobody knew who I was so I changed it back~

Donger
08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
That's pretty silly. If we began massively going after our own reserves, it would drop crude by probably $20/barrel. Maybe.

Donger
08-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Yes, they do, but not to the extent that she apparently thinks they do.

Donger
08-21-2011, 11:47 AM
The overwhelming majority of the cost people pay at the pump is a direct result of oil speculation

No, it isn't. Speculation played a large part of 2008's run, though.

Donger
08-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Donger says the prices are just where they ought to be and that there is no manipulation or unjust enrichment going on, so i don't see how this is possible.

It isn't possible, at least just with going after our own resources with greater tenacity.

And, yes, crude is about where it should be right now based on the fundamentals.

Easy 6
08-21-2011, 11:49 AM
And every little girl in America will get her own pony!

banyon
08-21-2011, 11:55 AM
No, it isn't. Speculation played a large part of 2008's run, though.

So, the Exxon CEO was mistaken then?

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LY420_U4U0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object id="cnbcplayer" height="380" width="400" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" > <param name="type" value="application/x-shockwave-flash"/> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"/> <param name="quality" value="best"/> <param name="scale" value="noscale" /> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"/> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"/> <param name="salign" value="lt"/> <param name="flashVars" value="startTime=000"/> <param name="flashVars" value="endTime=000"/> <param name="movie" value="http://plus.cnbc.com/rssvideosearch/action/player/id/3000008896/code/cnbcplayershare" /> <embed name="cnbcplayer" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" height="380" width="400" quality="best" wmode="transparent" scale="noscale" salign="lt" src="http://plus.cnbc.com/rssvideosearch/action/player/id/3000008896/code/cnbcplayershare" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

Donger
08-21-2011, 12:02 PM
So, the Exxon CEO was mistaken then?

If he stated that speculation didn't play a large part in 2008's run, yes, he's lying.

Count Alex's Losses
08-22-2011, 12:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tAKuz.png

Bowser
08-22-2011, 12:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tAKuz.png

LMAO

Calcountry
08-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I couldn't find any record of him promising to lower sea levels.<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oQNkVmdicvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Calcountry
08-22-2011, 07:31 PM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oQNkVmdicvA" allowfullscreen="" width="420" frameborder="0" height="345"></iframe>That's what I thought bitch.

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
That's what I thought bitch. Banyon, is acting like a troll now. Talk some shit, then when I back it up, you have nothing to say.

orange
08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
campaign speech

Obama: "... that the rise of the oceans began to slow..."

Calcountry: I'm still waiting for the sea level to be lowered by the dumfug

I guess you contend that Obamacare lowers health care costs, then. Exact same logic.

Donger
08-23-2011, 12:15 PM

I guess you contend that Obamacare lowers health care costs, then. Exact same logic.

You will acknowledge that Obama was getting just a tad full of himself when he said that, right?

orange
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
You will acknowledge that Obama was getting just a tad full of himself when he said that, right?

He's clearly talking about global warming. And to the degree he thought he could get something done about global warming, then yes.

Donger
08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
He's clearly talking about global warming. And to the degree he thought he could get something done about global warming, then yes.

Fair enough.

orange
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
But speaking of Obamacare and global warming, he could have said "this will be the day Republicans will come along with us and do the things they've always supported doing up to now" and been just as full of s... himself.

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 12:45 PM

I guess you contend that Obamacare lowers health care costs, then. Exact same logic.Only if you acknowledge that a "spending cut", is actually are reduction in the rate of growth of spending.

Acceleration vs velocity are the same in Congress, so yeah, reducing the rise in sea levels, for purposes of politics, IS the same thing as lowering the sea levels.

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 12:46 PM
He's clearly talking out of his ass.I read your post, and this is all my mind could hear.

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Bachman.... I am going to lower gas to 2 bucks". = campaign speech, and she being full of herself, my original post, logic, holds completely."Her claim isn't any worse than Obama slowing the raise of Oceans.

orange
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Her claim isn't any worse than Obama slowing the raise of Oceans.

Her claim is completely different. Obama's claim was based on a clear policy - reducing carbon emissions - which has abundant support that it will do just that.

There is no support for anything - except deflation - bringing back $2 gasoline.

FishingRod
08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
This just in. With great bipartisan support the federal government has passed a law that the measurement referred to as a gallon will now be ½ its former size. Problem solved.

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Her claim is completely different. Obama's claim was based on a clear policy - reducing carbon emissions - which has abundant support that it will do just that.

There is no support for anything - except deflation - bringing back $2 gasoline.Really? How old are you?

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Orange, how come they don't do something about all these man made earthquakes?

orange
08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Really? How old are you?

53. Do you have a point?

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
This just in. With great bipartisan support the federal government has passed a law that the measurement referred to as a gallon will now be ½ its former size. Problem solved.Bipartisan means compromise with Democrats? No thanks. You compromise with us.

orange
08-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Orange, how come they don't do something about all these man made earthquakes?

I have no reason to believe these recent earthquakes are man-made...

... but your lame attempt to suggest that human activity can have no macro impact on the environment FAILS COMPLETELY. Man has made earthquakes... I know this well, as does anyone who's spent the last 53 years in Denver.

In the 1960s, the Army started pumping toxic waste water deep underground at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal just outside of Denver. And Denver, which never had earthquakes, suddenly started having earthquakes. Lawsuits and politics ensued to stop the pumping - Pat Schroeder rode the issue to a long career in the House of Representatives and Tim Wirth rode it to the House and on to the Senate, for example. Finally, the Army was forced to stop the pumping, then to remove the waste water that was already there, ultimately closing the site ... and the earthquakes stopped, and have never come back.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/colorado/history.php

[edit] more:

Historical Precedence

There is definitely historical precedence for manmade causes of earthquakes in Colorado.

"This state is the biggest natural laboratory in the world for human-induced earthquakes," Matthews said. "There have been three major experiments in the state concerning human-induced events that prove human activities can indeed touch off earthquakes."

* The most famous episode of a human-induced earthquake began in 1961, when a 12,000-foot disposal well was drilled in the U.S. Army's Rocky Mountain Arsenal northeast of Denver. The well was used for disposing of waste fluids from arsenal operations, and injection commenced in March 1962.

Shortly thereafter an unusual series of earthquakes erupted in the area, and by the end of December 1962 about 190 earthquakes had occurred. None caused damage until December, when several structures were damaged in Dupont and Irondale.

Over 1,300 earthquakes were recorded between January 1963 and August 1967. In April 1967 the largest earthquake since the series began in 1962 occurred, and damage was recorded in the arsenal, Derby and Boulder. This tremor measured 5.0 on the Richter scale.

Even after the Rocky Mountain Arsenal waste dumping practice stopped, earthquakes continued to be felt in the Denver area, so in 1968 the Army began removing fluid from the arsenal well very slowly in an effort to reduce the earthquake activity.

* The second episode was in the 1970s at the Rangley Field in northwest Colorado, Matthews said. The USGS heard reports that earthquakes in the area were touched off by water flooding in the field.

The USGS got permission from Chevron, the field's operator, to conduct an experiment in part of the field on some abandoned wells. The USGS stopped injection in the area, and earthquake activity dropped from about 50 a day to one or two. Scientists then began injection again to determine if the earthquakes would increase again when the pressure built up. Sure enough, the episodes jumped back up to about 50 a day.

The USGS shut down injection operations and the tremors died down.

* The most recent experiment is in the Paradox Valley, where the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation is attempting to prevent salt from entering the Dolores River and then flowing into the Colorado River, according to Matthews.

"The Paradox Valley is a salt anticline, and the salt in the Delores River comes from the ground water," he said. "The Bureau of Reclamation has drilled a series of wells all along the river to intercept the ground water flowing into the river, and that water is then injected into a 14,000-foot injection well.

"The bureau has a very talented seismo-tectonic group that researches earthquakes related to dams and other projects, so when this Paradox Valley injection program began they expected to generate earthquakes," he continued. "They installed a network of instruments to monitor any activity and, sure enough, tremors did start when they began water injection."

The program has generated over 4,000 earthquakes, but most are too small to be felt on the surface, he said. The earthquakes built until June 2000 when there was a magnitude 4.5 event. That earthquake was large enough that Bureau of Reclamation scientists began looking for a remedy to the situation.

Today the USGS said the bureau is injecting water every other month to minimize the earthquake activity.

"There's not another place in the world that's had as many manmade earthquakes as Colorado," Matthews said. "For that reason we have to look seriously at any series of tremors we have and determine their cause."

There have been earthquakes in the Trinidad area in the past, and no manmade cause for those earlier quakes has been found. Also, there have been earthquake swarms in the state.

But this swarm is unique in that the events occurred so close together. That's why residents are hopeful that data from the USGS instruments will provide some answers -- fast.

http://www.aapg.org/explorer/2001/12dec/colo_quakes.cfm

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
53. Do you have a point?You are beyond help.

Have a nice life.

orange
08-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Have a nice life.

Thanks. And I'll continue to support environmental causes so you and your kids can have one, too - despite yourself.

Calcountry
08-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks. And I'll continue to support environmental causes so you and your kids can have one, too - despite yourself.I think I will flush the toilette an extra time and think of you. I will be grateful to you, for saving me enough water so that my kids don't have to smell my chit.

Swanman
08-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Bachman is like the kid running for junior high class president and promising no homework in the campaign speeches.

FishingRod
08-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Bachman is like the kid running for junior high class president and promising no homework in the campaign speeches.

not a big fan of her but, the "We will give everyone Free everything and someone else will pay for it Pledge" was already taken.