PDA

View Full Version : Football Rules Changes

Renegade
08-19-2011, 08:45 AM
What are some of your favorite rule changes throughout the years? Mine has been moving the goal post to the back of the endzone:clap: I may be in the minority, but I also like the excessive celebration after a TD to be a penalty.

The rule I don't understand is why a RB is allowed to "stiff arm" a defender to the ground, but a defensive player can barely graze a facemask and get 15 yard penalty.

morphius
08-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I think the idea is that you are not supposed to be able to grab the defenders face mask when you stiff arm them. The real question is why is that legal when a pinky finger to the side of a QB helmet is a foul.

I love that they added reviews, it would have been huge for us to have that the year that Denver stole the game at arrowhead in the playoffs. I'm just disappointed with their implementation.

Saulbadguy
08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Instant replay.

HotRoute
08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Challenging a call, I think for the most part changed the game the whole red flag thing seems kinda silly though.

The new kickoff rule is a joke and shouldn't last, it needs to change back before the season starts

Mojo Jojo
08-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Instant Replay...2 Point Conversion...doing away with the subjective call the receiver would have come down in bounds if not hit so it is a completion (even though the Chiefs won a playoff game on that call.) It's a catch or not.

Backwards Masking
08-19-2011, 09:01 AM
2 Point Conversion and Spiking the Ball to stop the clock. Both make the game far more interesting and exciting because they allow more room for comebacks without neutering the defenses.

tyton75
08-19-2011, 09:06 AM
The return of Warpaint

Dayze
08-19-2011, 09:08 AM
2 Point Conversion and Spiking the Ball to stop the clock. Both make the game far more interesting and exciting because they allow more room for comebacks without neutering the defenses.

i've always wondered about spiking the ball. how did they get around the intentional ground call?

Fire Me Boy!
08-19-2011, 09:12 AM
i've always wondered about spiking the ball. how did they get around the intentional ground call?

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding

Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

Backwards Masking
08-19-2011, 09:12 AM

they changed it in the 80's so that if it's an obvious spike and happens a split second after the snap it's not a penatly. i'm usually not in favor of rules that help the offense score but this one's pretty clear cut and even NFL refs don't seem to screw this one up. unlike what constitutes a "defenseless" receiver and all other situational Open To Interpretation "safety" rule changes.

lcarus
08-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Probably the best rule change ever is when they allowed black guys to play. The game is so much better for it.

Dayze
08-19-2011, 09:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding

they changed it in the 80's so that if it's an obvious spike and happens a split second after the snap it's not a penatly. i'm usually not in favor of rules that help the offense score but this one's pretty clear cut and even NFL refs don't seem to screw this one up. unlike what constitutes a "defenseless" receiver and all other situational Open To Interpretation "safety" rule changes.

Gracias Gents.