PDA

View Full Version : Environment Carbon emissions run danger of inviting alien attack.

Baby Lee
08-19-2011, 09:32 AM
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1104/1104.4462.pdf

Seth D. Baum, Department of Geography, Pennsylvania State University.
Jacob D. Haqq-Misra, Department of Meteorology, Pennsylvania State University.
Shawn D. Domagal-Goldman, NASA Planetary Science Division.

The thought of humanity being a threat to other civilizations may seem implausible given the likelihood of our technological inferiority relative to other civilizations. However, this inferiority may be a temporary phenomenon. Perhaps ETI observe our rapid and destructive expansion on Earth and become concerned of our civilizational trajectory. In light of the Sustainability Solution to the Fermi paradox, perhaps ETI believe that rapid expansion is threatening on a galactic scale. Rapidly (maximally) expansive civilizations may have a tendency to destroy other civilizations in the process, just as humanity has already destroyed many species on Earth. ETI that place intrinsic value on civilizations may ideally wish that our civilization changes its ways, so we can survive along with all the other civilizations. But if ETI doubt that our course can be changed, then they may seek to preemptively destroy our civilization in order to protect other civilizations from us. A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilization may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand. Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilizational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of Earth’s atmosphere (e.g. via greenhouse gas emissions), which therefore changes the spectral signature of Earth. While it is difficult to estimate the likelihood of this scenario, it should at a minimum give us pause as we evaluate our expansive tendencies.

Tell me this isn't a religion. ;)

mlyonsd
08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
For the love of God.

Predarat
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Bring 'em on, if they take us over, that cannot do any worse then our current Gubment!

Garcia Bronco
08-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Just cover the earth in mud...like in Predator

Huffmeister
08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
That's pretty much the premise of The Day The Earth Stood Still. Is that what passes for research these days? Watch a 50 year old movie and write a paper about it?

orange
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Tell me this isn't a religion. ;)

It's not a religion.

33 pages of whatifs concerning possible contact with extra terrestrials and you fixate on a couple lines involving carbon emissions - tell me climate-warming-denial isn't a religion.

The passage is also bad science in general. Our EMR footprint has exploded over the last century and would be much more noticeable by ETIs. It's already far too late to hide... :eek:

KILLER_CLOWN
08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Saw this crap a few days ago, but was waiting for someone else to post it. No worries just pay a carbon tax and the green guys won't invade and kill all life as we know it. Lay low!

blaise
08-19-2011, 01:50 PM
We need a new consumer base to sell McDonalds too, anyway. Let them come.

AndChiefs
08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
We need a new consumer base to sell McDonalds too, anyway. Let them come.

That's probably how we'll kill them off.

Inspector
08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
No worries about aliens. Just turn up your Slim Whitman records!

gonefishin53
08-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Pres. Eisenhower had gov't scientists pegged. He considered them just as much of a threat to our Republic as the military/industrial complex. After warning us about the threat posed by the military/industrial complex in his farewell speech, Pres. Eisenhower had this to say about gov't science:

"The prospect of domination of the nation’s scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present-- and is gravely to be regarded. Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.”

E-mailgate shows gov't scientist are more interested in getting Washington DC politicians to give them more gov't. grants than sound science. If they were worried about human consumption causing "climate change", they would be screaming for paying the cost of gov't. at all levels with consumption based tax schemes. Since no "climate scientists" are screaming for a "green" tax code, it's pretty obvious they're running a scam to bleed taxpayers for every penny they can get.

orange
08-19-2011, 03:45 PM

:facepalm:

Will no one rid me of these turbulent conspiracists?

http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/December/images/prevs/0844233.jpg

x2

KILLER_CLOWN
08-19-2011, 03:54 PM
x2

Dude like X a jillion, ya.

orange
08-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Dude like X a jillion, ya.

Don't mess with my count of new conspiracists. It'll reach a jillion soon enough on its own.

gonefishin53
08-21-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't think President Eisenhower and people who trust him more than they trust Al Gore are conspiracy theorists because President Eisenhower was equally worried about the threat posed by politically connected arms dealers and politically connected scientists.

If human consumption was a serious threat, Al Gore would be demanding that our current consumption friendly tax code be replaced with a consumption based tax like the "fair tax". Financing gov't with consumption taxes would also help American workers because the product of American workers and foreign workers would be taxed equally at the point of sale. And the environment would benefit because of less human consumption because humans will naturally consume less if it's taxed.

I took an atmospheric science class in high school. We learned that our climate was determined by conditions in the large bodies of water that cover 2/3 of our planet. The ebb and flow of volcanic activity deep beneath the surface of these large bodies of water could easily explain the ebb and flow of weather patterns I've seen during my lifetime.

RNR
08-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Barry and staff are working on the amnesty paperwork as I type. As long as they will work for lower wages and less benefits they are welcome...oh also register as democrats~

Huffmeister
08-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Eisenhower also tried to warn us about David Hasselhoff. But we didn't listen. WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!!

Hog Farmer
08-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Bring 'em on, if they take us over, that cannot do any worse then our current Gubment!

Dumbass! When the Annunaki come they are going to harvest our gold and force us into slave labor to build some more of those damn pyramids. You don't think that will be worse ! Do you realize how heavy those fucking pyramids are.

Bob Dole
08-22-2011, 09:05 AM
It's just an article from one (in a pool of probably tens of thousands) peer reviewed journal. The pressure is constantly on faculty to publish, publish, and then publish some more, so it shouldn't be all that shocking when you start finding things like this. There are only so many things you can write about before you run out of anything meaningful.

Amnorix
08-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I took an atmospheric science class in high school. We learned that our climate was determined by conditions in the large bodies of water that cover 2/3 of our planet. The ebb and flow of volcanic activity deep beneath the surface of these large bodies of water could easily explain the ebb and flow of weather patterns I've seen during my lifetime.

Is this a joke? Are you a mult? WTF...?

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I, for one, welcome our galactic overlords.

Dave Lane
08-22-2011, 09:21 AM
it's pretty obvious I may well be batshit crazy.