PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Smith to Chiefs?

FRCDFED
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
2011 NFL Trade Rumors Alex Smith to Chiefs?

August 18, 2011 08:10 PM EDT

comments: 1

Alex Smith has been given several opportunities to win over the front office and fans of the San Francisco 49ers, but the former NFL first-round draft pick has been inconsistent throughout his career, and it could be time for a change in scenery.

The 49ers drafted a quarterback for their future and now are looking to bring in a veteran quarterback to lead the team for a year and let Colin Kaepernick learn the ropes from someone other than Smith.

The latest trade rumor has Smith being sent to the Kansas City Chiefs in a deal that will give Smith a fresh start, and the Chiefs badly needed backup to Matt Cassel. Kansas City now has just rookie fifth-round draft choice Ricky Stanzi as the teams backup, and an injury to Cassel could be harmful to the team's success in the upcoming NFL season.

The good news for Chiefs fans is that Smith would be a cheap acquisition, and it would give the team some much-needed insurance at the quarterback position. If San Francisco brings in a veteran in the next week or two, look for Smith to become a member of a different team before the season begins.

FRCDFED
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Could Zorn help Smith develop?

keg in kc
08-19-2011, 11:21 AM
9ers qbs always work out well here.

tymania
08-19-2011, 11:22 AM
this is interesting... if he is cheap i dont see any harm in bringing him in...

lcarus
See ya Falko

FRCDFED
Yeah the article was dated yesterday. Surprised this is the first I've heard of it.

Hydrae
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Kansas City now has just rookie fifth-round draft choice Ricky Stanzi as the teams backup

I know Calabeloo isn't anything exciting but when the author is speculating about a teams interest in a player is would be a good thing to know who the team already has onboard.

SuperChief
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Nothing wrong with this addition, for the right price of course. I'd take him over Falko any day of the week (and that's saying something about Falko).

FRCDFED
08-19-2011, 11:24 AM
The 49ers have been in chaos since he was drafted with all the coaching changes. I wonder if he would see a trade as a fresh start and settle down with a little stability.

DJ's left nut
I'd take him.

Alex Smith's failure still doesn't make sense to me. He has a very nice arm, he's mobile, he's a hard worker and the kid is actually very smart.

His coaching has to have been complete dogshit because I swear that kid has the talent to be at least an average NFL quarterback. I think that's why the 9ers keep giving him a chance; the talent is there.

If he comes for a 5th rounder or something, sure - I'd take him.

Detoxing
Better than Tyler Calabalo I guess.

FRCDFED
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd take him.

Alex Smith's failure still doesn't make sense to me. He has a very nice arm, he's mobile, he's a hard worker and the kid is actually very smart.

His coaching has to have been complete dogshit because I swear that kid has the talent to be at least an average NFL quarterback. I think that's why the 9ers keep giving him a chance; the talent is there.

This

I always heard the kid was really smart. Didn't he graduate college his sophmore year or something crazy like that?

Detoxing
I'd take him.

This. Though I'd prefer it be something like a 6th or 7th.

Brock
That would be a good move.

Mr. Arrowhead
a million times better than Falco

Zeke
08-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I would give up a 6th at most. We've had good value in the 5th and would hate to use that on a 1 yr rental backup QB.

He is currently under a 1 yr contract with SF for $4 mil, with up to $900k in incentives.

nychief
08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Just wait till they release him.

FRCDFED
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I would give up a 6th at most. We've had good value in the 5th and would hate to use that on a 1 yr rental backup QB.

He is currently under a 1 yr contract with SF for $4 mil, with up to $900k in incentives.Smith hasn't done anything to prove he is a #1 QB. Idk if he would get any offers to be a starting QB after this season. If he likes the environment in KC then he may be our backup for a while. I don't like the idea of slowing Stanzi's growth but if Smith works out then I would like to think he would resign with us.

Deberg_1990
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Could Zorn help Smith develop?

No...a player sucks because he sucks. If Smith hasnt gotten it by now, hes never going to get it.

gblowfish
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Remind him not to diss the food in KC....

Trade Brokie for him!

boogblaster
08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
maybe ....

durtyrute
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Make it happen

Bump
08-19-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd take him over Palko for sure, I'd take anybody over Palko for that matter though.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Alex smith isn't worth any draft pick whatsoevah. He sucks really bad. Any 49er fan will do cartwheels at talk of getting him off the team. If Cassel goes down Smith would be much, much worse. This season is prob doomed if Cassel fails. I think it would be better to use the draft pick we already spent and let Stanzi take his best shot.

Mosbonian
08-19-2011, 12:22 PM
If he can be had for the right price bring him in. It's a whole lot better than what we have now.

Mosbonian
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Alex smith isn't worth any draft pick whatsoevah. He sucks really bad. Any 49er fan will do cartwheels at talk of getting him off the team. If Cassel goes down Smith would be much, much worse. This season is prob doomed if Cassel fails. I think it would be better to use the draft pick we already spent and let Stanzi take his best shot.

I am trying to see what everyone likes about Stanzi.....maybe someone can enlighten me as to why he isn't anything more than Brodie Croyle revisited.

Detoxing
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I'd take him over Palko for sure, I'd take anybody over Palko for that matter though.

Who?

Oh you mean Calabalo. Yeah, Calabalo needs to go.

Detoxing
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
maybe someone can enlighten me as to why he isn't anything more than Brodie Croyle revisited.

Well, He's isn't on I.R for starters...

the Talking Can
08-19-2011, 12:25 PM
sure...for a 6th

stanzi would be best served by not playing this year....

Mr. Laz
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
as long as it's cheap,cheap,cheap

6th round pick?

Demonpenz
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
don't stanzi close to me

MahiMike
08-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Rock me Amadeus!

Brock
08-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I am trying to see what everyone likes about Stanzi.....maybe someone can enlighten me as to why he isn't anything more than Brodie Croyle revisited.

Well, he isn't a proven failure for one thing.

Okie_Apparition
08-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I hope they let Nick Wright do a background check on Smith before any trade offers are made

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-19-2011, 12:35 PM
For the right price, it couldn't hurt, better than what we have, he can jump the ropes with Stanzi, yada yada, yada...

HotRoute
08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
It would be interesting to see cassels reaction to having a backup like smith.

Remember the days of huard and croyle? That was a rough time for chiefs fans

Bump
08-19-2011, 12:40 PM
On second thought, there have been a lot of former #1 pick QB busts out there that moved around to other teams because they sucked. NONE of them ever worked out anywhere else.

I change my vote to PASS

ChiefsCountry
08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
On second thought, there have been a lot of former #1 pick QB busts out there that moved around to other teams because they sucked. NONE of them ever worked out anywhere else.

Jim Plunkett, Vinny Testervade say whats up.

RustShack
08-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Why isn't Boss in here yet raising hell? Or is he busy crying? Stanzi da manzi!!!1!11! America #1 Cassel sucks!!10ne1!!

the Talking Can
08-19-2011, 12:44 PM
It would be interesting to see cassels reaction to having a backup like smith.

Remember the days of huard and croyle? That was a rough time for chiefs fans

why he care about a career failure as backup?

and wtf do huard and croyle have to do with anything?

Bump
08-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Jim Plunkett, Vinny Testervade say whats up.

ha, 2 outta 100 ain't bad I guess

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 12:46 PM
The thing is, Alex Smith is NOT better than anything we have. He sux like Palko. For anyone who hasnt watched him, I have, and I dont see him winning one game. Alex Smith, QB, or winning does not belong in the same sentence together. He is not worth a 7th rd pick in 2020. He is not worth a PB and J sandwich.

ChiefsCountry
08-19-2011, 12:50 PM
ha, 2 outta 100 ain't bad I guess

Jeff George did well after his first team as well. All bc Couch and Russell sucked major dick doesn't mean they are all true busts.

RustShack
08-19-2011, 12:50 PM
The thing is, Alex Smith is NOT better than anything we have. He sux like Palko. For anyone who hasnt watched him, I have, and I dont see him winning one game. Alex Smith, QB, or winning does not belong in the same sentence together. He is not worth a 7th rd pick in 2020. He is not worth a PB and J sandwich.

A little overboard there. He has won a few games on a worse team. He also has experience at least and talent. He's better than Palco who is currently our #2.

keg in kc
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I get saying he sucks. He's been a bust as a #1. But saying he's Palko? Good grief.

the Talking Can
08-19-2011, 12:52 PM

he's a lot better and more experienced than palko

chiefqueen
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Do I want somebody on the team Tambe treated like a rag doll last year?

the Talking Can
08-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Do I want somebody on the team Tambe treated like a rag doll last year?

we aren't signing a Tackle...he's a backup QB

hey people, backup QBs have flaws....hence their being backups

chiefqueen
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
we aren't signing a Tackle...he's a backup QB

hey people, backup QBs have flaws....hence their being backups

Have you seen the Chiefs 2010 yearbook?

Rooster
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Well, He's isn't on I.R for starters...

ROFL That's a good point.

the Talking Can
08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Have you seen the Chiefs 2010 yearbook?

do you drink green tea?

Brock
08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
do you drink green tea?

LMAO

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 01:06 PM
A little overboard there. He has won a few games on a worse team. He also has experience at least and talent. He's better than Palco who is currently our #2.

If u watched any 49er games, it is not overboard at all. Alex Smith was benched last year in favor of Troy Smith who won more games than A. Smith and is out of football now. The only reason Alex Smith is still on the roster is cause of where he was drafted. He sux in epic proportions. He makes Croyle look like Brady.

Thig Lyfe
08-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Maybe he can be our QB coach next year!!!

JD10367
08-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Remember what you're talking about here. Backup quarterback. Not the Chiefs' team leader of the future. Backup. If he comes cheap, it's an absolute no-brainer.

Alex Smith has thrown for almost 10,000 yards and over 50 touchdowns.

Palko has thrown for 35 yards. And no touchdowns. And is almost a year older than Alex Smith.

No one will confuse Alex Smith with Peyton or Brady any time soon. But anyone who thinks he's equal to Palko is a fucking moron.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 01:23 PM
he's a lot better and more experienced than palko

Alex Smith isn't a lot better than my mother. He has a lot of experience losing and turning the ball over.

Cave Johnson
08-19-2011, 01:27 PM
$4M and a pick in 2012. Pass on el-busto.

Sofa King
08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
$4M and a pick in 2012. Pass on el-busto.

You're complaining about spending 4 million on a competent backup????

We have 30 million in cap space...... 4 million isn't gonna break us... And it's at the most valuable position on the whole team...

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Remember what you're talking about here. Backup quarterback. Not the Chiefs' team leader of the future. Backup. If he comes cheap, it's an absolute no-brainer.

Alex Smith has thrown for almost 10,000 yards and over 50 touchdowns.

Palko has thrown for 35 yards. And no touchdowns. And is almost a year older than Alex Smith.

No one will confuse Alex Smith with Peyton or Brady any time soon. But anyone who thinks he's equal to Palko is a fucking moron.

It is making a point. Both suck. No one has seen palko play in reg game, but there is no need cause he sux. I watched A. Smith a lot and he is worse than bad.
If it is just backup and no worries of him playing then let Stanzi be backup. Alex Smith is one of the worst QB's in the league. He does not belong on a team that cares about winning.

Okie_Apparition
08-19-2011, 01:34 PM
The old man QB with the Steelers, worked with Zorn. Ben, Leftwich, Dixion & old guy I can't think the name of...Batch.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-19-2011, 01:35 PM
You're complaining about spending 4 million on a competent backup????

We have 30 million in cap space...... 4 million isn't gonna break us... And it's at the most valuable position on the whole team...

dont worry, thats Clark Hunt talking

Chiefs Pantalones
08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Alex Smith and Matt Cassel together form so much suckage that it would magically make us Super Bowl contenders :)

MOhillbilly
08-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Alex Smith and Matt Cassel together form so much suckage that it would magically make us Super Bowl contenders :)

only if smith plays wr.

KC Hawks
08-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I'd be for it. Alex Smith certainly isn't a good player, but he has experience and is worlds better than Palko. I was holding out for Tom Brady to be our backup, but Smith would do.

Epic Fail 007
08-19-2011, 01:46 PM
What is up with u all sayin,yes i want if cheap.lol.This the NFL not the local dollar store or walmart.You do not win being cheap.

DJ's left nut
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
What is up with u all sayin,yes i want if cheap.lol.This the NFL not the local dollar store or walmart.You do not win being cheap.

DAMN RIGHT!

Give up a 1st round pick for that MFer!

And if he only costs a 6th - screw it, Palko FTMFW!

You're aware you don't make a goddamn bit of sense - yes?

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
It is making a point. Both suck. No one has seen palko play in reg game, but there is no need cause he sux. I watched A. Smith a lot and he is worse than bad.
If it is just backup and no worries of him playing then let Stanzi be backup. Alex Smith is one of the worst QB's in the league. He does not belong on a team that cares about winning.

Dude.....did Alex Smith fuck your mom?

NJChiefsFan
08-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't care how much anybody thinks Smith sucks, there is no way, that this season, Palko or Stanzi are better options if Matt gets hurt. Now if you want to say if Matt gets hurt we are out and might as well let Stanzi go for it, well I disagree, but I see the arguement.

To me the only reason to not give up a six or so is if you don't want to clog it up for Stanzi. Who knows what Stanzi will be, but if you bring in Smith you now have 3 guys that have question marks at QB. Hopefully this year either puts a line through Cassel for good or shows he has the goods, not something inbetween. Either way I don't see them trying Smith before Stanzi. If they don't think Stanzi is ready they would just stay with Cassel, not go to Smith. So would the Chiefs bring him in and not try to see if he can start? Its a weird situation, unless they brought him in and said you are the #2, and if Cassel goes you still will be the #2.

What I am saying is I would like to have him as a backup this year, but as for the future if Cassel isn't the answer I would almost prefer a simple decision of lets try Stanzi instead of trying to see if we should give Smith a chance first. Guess best case is bring him in to backup until Stanzi is ready to be the #2 for sure and then let him go. When I say Stanzi being ready to be the #2, I mean knowing the offense and NFL game, so next year at the earliest.

Fat Elvis
08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I am trying to see what everyone likes about Stanzi.....maybe someone can enlighten me ....

Go here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30

See Stanzi fans.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7462/grudencampstanzimedium.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/grudencampstanzimedium.jpg/)

BigRichard
08-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Dude.....did Alex Smith **** your mom?

I was going to ask the same exact question.

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
And Alex Smith is WAY better than fucking Palko.

Smith has kind of been fucked over his entire career. He's had something like 4 different coordinators in his first 5 years. He's got the talent and I think it'd be beneficial for him to come in and not be thrown into a starting spot.

Predarat
08-19-2011, 02:24 PM
If they can get this guy, print 'em!

BigRichard
08-19-2011, 02:27 PM
And Alex Smith is WAY better than ****ing Palko.

Smith has kind of been ****ed over his entire career. He's had something like 4 different coordinators in his first 5 years. He's got the talent and I think it'd be beneficial for him to come in and not be thrown into a starting spot.

Who is this Palko everyone keeps talking about?

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Dude.....did Alex Smith fuck your mom?

If I let him even try to fuck her he would probably miss her by 5 yards.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
And Alex Smith is WAY better than fucking Palko.

Smith has kind of been fucked over his entire career. He's had something like 4 different coordinators in his first 5 years. He's got the talent and I think it'd be beneficial for him to come in and not be thrown into a starting spot.

wut? He has 53 INT and 34 fumbles. Have you seen him play?

In last weeks game (which of course he lost) his ave throw was for 1.4 yards.

Jim Harbough is supposed to be somewhat of a QB guru also.

I understand everyone wants a veteran backup, but he is not it. He is not better than starting a rookie, he really isn't.

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 02:44 PM
wut? He has 53 INT and 34 fumbles. Have you seen him play?

In last weeks game (which of course he lost) his ave throw was for 1.4 yards.

Jim Harbough is supposed to be somewhat of a QB guru also.

I understand everyone wants a veteran backup, but he is not it. He is not better than starting a rookie, he really isn't.

1. Yeah....I've seen him play. I live an hour outside of San Francisco....
2. You just pulled stats from a fucking preseason game......you're dumb.
3. He has 53 INTs....and 51 TDs. That's not the greatest stats but I'm not calling for him to come in and start over Cassel.
4. It's Jim Harbaugh....not Harbough.

rocknrolla
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
If Cassel goes down, the season is down the shitter with Smith as a back up. So why cock block Stanzi?

BigRichard
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
If Cassel goes down, the season is down the shitter with Smith as a back up. So why cock block Stanzi?

Because it might be detrimental to his progression if you throw him to the wolves.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 03:02 PM
1. Yeah....I've seen him play. I live an hour outside of San Francisco....
2. You just pulled stats from a fucking preseason game......you're dumb.
3. He has 53 INTs....and 51 TDs. That's not the greatest stats but I'm not calling for him to come in and start over Cassel.
4. It's Jim Harbaugh....not Harbough.

:spock:
You are calling for him to start if something happens to Cassel. That is a dumb mistake.

If you have seen him play and you still want him anywhere near this team than you are the one who is dumb.

He was benched for Troy Smith who only had 3 carreer TD's in 3 years with the Ravens. He was also outplayed by T. Smith who sucks but wasn't a number 1 draft pick. That is the only reason he is still there.

He should follow the QB he was benched for, and try a different profession.

Mosbonian
08-19-2011, 03:12 PM
If u watched any 49er games, it is not overboard at all. Alex Smith was benched last year in favor of Troy Smith who won more games than A. Smith and is out of football now. The only reason Alex Smith is still on the roster is cause of where he was drafted. He sux in epic proportions. He makes Croyle look like Brady.

That's an overboard opinion....Croyle is a bust and will be forever.

Smith would be a decent backup...but not one I would pay much for.

Detoxing....you didn't really answer my question so I'll give you another shot at it...

Why is Stanzi any better option than Smith?

Zeke
08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Who is this Palko everyone keeps talking about?

http://www.americanthinktank.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/shanefalco.jpg

Mosbonian
08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Dude.....did Alex Smith **** your mom?

Makes you wonder why he is so adamant...

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 03:21 PM
You are calling for him to start if something happens to Cassel. That is a dumb mistake.

If you have seen him play and you still want him anywhere near this team than you are the one who is dumb.

He was benched for Troy Smith who only had 3 carreer TD's in 3 years with the Ravens. He was also outplayed by T. Smith who sucks but wasn't a number 1 draft pick. That is the only reason he is still there.

He should follow the QB he was benched for, and try a different profession.

I would rather see Alex Smith start if Cassel goes down....then watch Palko go out there and completely shit himself.

Wow....he got benched....so therefore he shouldn't play the QB position ever again. Is he the greatest QB ever to play the game? No. But you denying the fact that he has talent....makes you look like a complete douchebag.

Mosbonian
08-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Because at this point what do we know about Stanzi that makes him a worthy candidate to play in the NFL?

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Makes you wonder why he is so adamant...

Uh, cause I watch a lot of 49er games and have seen him play alot. A

gonefishin53
08-19-2011, 03:24 PM
No. Giving up a chance to get another player like Powe late in the 2012 draft isn't worth a 4$million contract and a loser qb with a career 53/51 TD/INT ratio and fumbling issues.

It doesn't make sense to give up $4million and a draft pick for Smith so he can compete with Stanzi for a backup spot.

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 03:25 PM
No. Giving up a chance to get another player like Powe late in the 2012 draft isn't worth a 4$million contract and a loser qb with a career 53/51 TD/INT ratio and fumbling issues.

It doesn't make sense to give up $4million and a draft pick for Smith so he can compete with Stanzi for a backup spot.

:facepalm:

Rams Fan
08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
I believe if Smith had left SF, he'd be an okay starting QB this season.

The way fans have treated him, Singletary switching from him to Troy Smith and the changes at OC that happened almost every season have not helped him. At all.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I would rather see Alex Smith start if Cassel goes down....then watch Palko go out there and completely shit himself.

Wow....he got benched....so therefore he shouldn't play the QB position ever again. Is he the greatest QB ever to play the game? No. But you denying the fact that he has talent....makes you look like a complete douchebag.

I don't believe he does have the talent to be a QB. That is the whole point. If you think he does, then good for you. Anyone who is a 49er fan will tell you you are wrong.

He got benched for a young guy who outplayed him and is now out of football. He was benched because he sucks and turned the ball over every freaking game. That is all my point was.

Not trying to be a douchbag, I just have seen firsthand that the guy does not have the talent to play QB in this league. He won't come in off the bench and win anything. It is my opinion and I don't think he is worth any trade.

Rams Fan
08-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Not at all.

First off, Singletary handled the QB situation horribly. He benched Alex Smith for Troy Smith, the first time T. Smith started was against the Rams. He did things to the Rams that shouldn't be done by a shitty backup QB like him. From that point on, Troy Smith had no really good games, only 1 or 2 decent ones at best. And Singletary couldn't make up his mind on who to start or bench, switching Troy and Alex Smith in and out of games frequently.

Alex Smith is still in San Francisco because he's better than Troy Smith and they need someone to start as their backups are Kapernick(a rookie) and Josh McCown.

Rams Fan
08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't believe he does have the talent to be a QB. That is the whole point. If you think he does, then good for you. Anyone who is a 49er fan will tell you you are wrong.

He got benched for a young guy who outplayed him and is now out of football. He was benched because he sucks and turned the ball over every freaking game. That is all my point was.

Not trying to be a douchbag, I just have seen firsthand that the guy does not have the talent to play QB in this league. He won't come in off the bench and win anything. It is my opinion and I don't think he is worth any trade.

No, he was benched because Singletary did what the fans wanted to do.

bevischief
08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Why the hell not if the price is right. We do have Zorn in house.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Not at all.

First off, Singletary handled the QB situation horribly. He benched Alex Smith for Troy Smith, the first time T. Smith started was against the Rams. He did things to the Rams that shouldn't be done by a shitty backup QB like him. From that point on, Troy Smith had no really good games, only 1 or 2 decent ones at best. And Singletary couldn't make up his mind on who to start or bench, switching Troy and Alex Smith in and out of games frequently.

Alex Smith is still in San Francisco because he's better than Troy Smith and they need someone to start as their backups are Kapernick(a rookie) and Josh McCown.

Troy Smith really sucked. My point is Alex Smith was even worse. He hasn't had a complete year of starting since 2006, missing more games the past four seasons (35) than he played (29). His 34 fumbles plus his 53 INT does not equal someone you want to tutor your QB.

Rams Fan
08-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Troy Smith really sucked. My point is Alex Smith was even worse. He hasn't had a complete year of starting since 2006, missing more games the past four seasons (35) than he played (29). His 34 fumbles plus his 53 INT does not equal someone you want to tutor your QB.

Look at the 49ers OL and try to tell me they're good. Please.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
People its for a back up job, hes more than suitable to be a back up QB

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Who the fuck said he was going to tutor anyone? That's Zorn's job.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Who the fuck said he was going to tutor anyone? That's Zorn's job.

What is with your tude? I was talking about Kapernick on the 49ers.

The OP says the 49ers want Kaepernick to learn the ropes from someone other than Smith.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 04:19 PM
People its for a back up job, hes more than suitable to be a back up QB

Not for a trade. 49er fans laugh that anyone would give them a draft pick for Alex Smith.

Rams Fan
08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Not for a trade. 49er fans laugh that anyone would give them a draft pick for Alex Smith.

That's because the fans hate him and chanted for Carr. Sort of like people here saying that no team would give up a pick for Cassel.

Brock
08-19-2011, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't care whether they laughed about it or not. Like they're some kind of model organization.

Just Passin' By
08-19-2011, 04:25 PM
It would be interesting to see what the required compensation would be.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 04:26 PM
What is funny is the 49ers were talking about bringing in Culpepper. Even they think Culpepper is an upgrade over Smith to backup Kapernick.

Rams Fan
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
What is funny is the 49ers were talking about bringing in Culpepper. Even they think Culpepper is an upgrade over Smith to backup Kapernick.

Weird, they didn't have a 3rd string QB(McCown is now signed) and Smith is starting.

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 04:34 PM

Or the fact that the organization wants nothing to do with Smith because he didn't live up to his hype.

KC Tattoo
08-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Could Jesus help Smith develop?

fyp.

Ummm NO.

Just Passin' By
08-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Then why did they sign McCown instead of Culpepper?

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 04:42 PM
That's because the fans hate him and chanted for Carr. Sort of like people here saying that no team would give up a pick for Cassel.

God, I hope Cassel can turn things around and show everyone he is a good QB this year playing the top defenses. But even if he didn't he already showed with the Patriots he can come in as a backup and not lose a game for his team. Alex Smith has never shown that. That is why the fans hate him so much and would rather he headbutt a flaming AIDS tree than play QB even as a backup.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Or the fact that the organization wants nothing to do with Smith because he didn't live up to his hype.

Yeah, especially passing on Rogers for Smith. Mike Mcarthy is now very happy.

But after they went from Joe Montana to Steve Young it makes me sick to hear them complain about QB's.

xztop12
08-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Hahaha some guy named Larry writes an amateur article and it gets 8 pages of posts on here. What an astute bunch you all are.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Then why did they sign McCown instead of Culpepper?

Yeah they went with McCown over Culpepper. They are both pretty horrible.

McCown started 31 games in eight seasons in the NFL with four different teams. No matter what the depth chart says, I can't imagine he is ahead of Kapernick when the season starts.

Just Passin' By
08-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah they went with McCown over Culpepper. They are both pretty horrible.

McCown started 31 games in eight seasons in the NFL with four different teams. No matter what the depth chart says, I can't imagine he is ahead of Kapernick when the season starts.

But your claim was that they found Culpepper to be better. Are you saying that the new regime is deliberately passing over the better players in order to keep stiffs (that they didn't even draft) in the starting lineup?

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 05:08 PM
But your claim was that they found Culpepper to be better. Are you saying that the new regime is deliberately passing over the better players in order to keep stiffs (that they didn't even draft) in the starting lineup?

I don't think very many people believed Smith would be on the team when the season started. The Smith experiment in San Fran hasn't worked. So looking at Culpepper, McCown or anyone else would be to backup Kapernick.

No way can Kapernick be worse than Smith or those other scrubs.

Chocolate Hog
08-19-2011, 05:09 PM
If we're going to trade a pick for a QB i'd rather trade for Mike Kafkha.

Just Passin' By
08-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't think very many people believed Smith would be on the team when the season started. The Smith experiment in San Fran hasn't worked. So looking at Culpepper, McCown or anyone else would be to backup Kapernick.

No way can Kapernick be worse than Smith or those other scrubs.

Except that, right now, Kapernick is worse than Smith.

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM

You're not going to talk him out of his hate for all things Alex Smith.

I seriously think Alex Smith ran over his dog or fucked his mom.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 05:30 PM

Well, according to the OP

"The 49ers drafted a quarterback for their future and now are looking to bring in a veteran quarterback to lead the team for a year and let Colin Kaepernick learn the ropes from someone other than Smith."

They are more ok with Kaepernick learning from McCown than Smith.

My point is if they are not ok with Smith as a backup we shouldn't be either.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 05:34 PM

He went to run over my dog, missed and hit a fire hydrant. I posted earlier I wouldn't even let him try and fuck my mother cause he would fumble it up and then miss her by 5 yards. ROFL

Dicky McElephant
08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
He went to run over my dog, missed and hit a fire hydrant. I posted earlier I wouldn't even let him try and fuck my mother cause he would fumble it up and then miss her by 5 yards. ROFL

Yeah....it was stupid back then when you said it.....anddddddddd it's still stupid now.

RustShack
08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
51/53 really isn't that bad for a backup QB. Especially considering hes coming from such a bad and messed up organization. Odds are pretty good that Stanzi will throw more picks than TD's this year just like most rookies would just being thrown out to the wolves. I don't know what his contract is, but I wouldn't be against him being here for insurance for a year or two at MOST until Stanzi has a full grasp on everything. Even if Stanzi had a full offseason here, at least 9/10 times a rookie QB isn't going to be ready to take over.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah....it was stupid back then when you said it.....anddddddddd it's still stupid now.

I disagree with you. Deal with it. You don't have to be such a fucking asshole.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
51/53 really isn't that bad for a backup QB. Especially considering hes coming from such a bad and messed up organization. Odds are pretty good that Stanzi will throw more picks than TD's this year just like most rookies would just being thrown out to the wolves. I don't know what his contract is, but I wouldn't be against him being here for insurance for a year or two at MOST until Stanzi has a full grasp on everything. Even if Stanzi had a full offseason here, at least 9/10 times a rookie QB isn't going to be ready to take over.

It wouldn't be THAT bad if it wasn't a trade. I just think giving up a draft pick for him is a bad idea. Ranks up there with trading Charles for a 3rd. Personally, I think if Cassel goes down, they might as well throw Stanzi out there and see what he can do, cause our season really depends on Cassel anyway.

ForeverChiefs58
08-19-2011, 05:57 PM

You like him so much you should take him home to fuck your mom. I'll let you know when I am done with her.

DTLB58
08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
2011 NFL Trade Rumors Alex Smith to Chiefs?

August 18, 2011 08:10 PM EDT

comments: 1

Alex Smith has been given several opportunities to win over the front office and fans of the San Francisco 49ers, but the former NFL first-round draft pick has been inconsistent throughout his career, and it could be time for a change in scenery.

The 49ers drafted a quarterback for their future and now are looking to bring in a veteran quarterback to lead the team for a year and let Colin Kaepernick learn the ropes from someone other than Smith.

The latest trade rumor has Smith being sent to the Kansas City Chiefs in a deal that will give Smith a fresh start, and the Chiefs badly needed backup to Matt Cassel. Kansas City now has just rookie fifth-round draft choice Ricky Stanzi as the teams backup, and an injury to Cassel could be harmful to the team's success in the upcoming NFL season.

The good news for Chiefs fans is that Smith would be a cheap acquisition, and it would give the team some much-needed insurance at the quarterback position. If San Francisco brings in a veteran in the next week or two, look for Smith to become a member of a different team before the season begins.

Link??? What site is this from?

chiefzilla1501
08-19-2011, 08:34 PM
This would be an awesome acquisition.

But only because I believe you should always have a backup who can at least not embarrass you when he comes in. Smith will NEVER be starter material. But he's not a bad guy to have for 3-4 games if your starter's out.

KS-Surveyor
08-19-2011, 09:14 PM
9ers qbs always work out well here.

:clap:

Mr. Kotter
08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
We could do worse for a backup quarterback. Justa sayin'. :shrug:

warpaint*
08-19-2011, 11:40 PM
I have never seen it w/ A.Smith. It's a blah move if they make it. I like the fact they're allegedly trying to do something about the disaster that is our backup qb situation.

Just Passin' By
08-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Well, according to the OP

"The 49ers drafted a quarterback for their future and now are looking to bring in a veteran quarterback to lead the team for a year and let Colin Kaepernick learn the ropes from someone other than Smith."

They are more ok with Kaepernick learning from McCown than Smith.

My point is if they are not ok with Smith as a backup we shouldn't be either.

Your point has changed several times. However, it's not likely that a team that had drafted Smith as high as they did, and paid him as much as they did, would keep him around in the locker room with him clearly as the #2 guy when he's been the #1 most of his time and is still young. That's just not usually good for team morale, regardless of how good the QB is.

Micjones
08-20-2011, 01:11 AM
For a 6th or a 7th round pick, I'd take him.
Has more experience and is a better QB than Palko.

T-post Tom
08-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Bring him in. Thomas Jones will whip his ass into shape. :)

salame
08-20-2011, 01:37 AM
I prefer to spell it cheefs

Coogs
08-20-2011, 09:20 AM
I would be in favor of this. I know Palko's stint on the field ended with 10 points on the board, bet he was also very fortunate to not have a couple of INT's... one of which would have been an easy pick-six.

Stanzi made some nice throws, and missed on a couple that would have made his stock go up a little more. It would be nice to see what he could do with a little more protection up front, instead of the guys who will not make the roster blocking for him.

J Diddy
08-20-2011, 09:48 AM

and unlike Brody, he's also won a game.

TEX
08-20-2011, 10:27 AM

This.
Palko's performance was misleading. Sure he scored BUT he was very fortunate not to have thrown a couple of pics that could easily have lead to points the other way. Stanzi looks like he's aiming the ball..

buddha
08-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Alex Smith would be a decent #2 QB.

Neither Palko or Stanzi look anywhere close to NFL quality at this point.

Dicky McElephant
08-20-2011, 11:01 AM
You like him so much you should take him home to fuck your mom. I'll let you know when I am done with her.

Once again......dumb.

Sure-Oz
08-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Bring in Smith for a backup, you have to. Palko and Stanzi have no business getting on the field this year

ForeverChiefs58
08-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Once again......dumb.

You have been a rude fucking prick asshole. Apologize, or go cyber fuck yourself.

MIAdragon
08-20-2011, 11:16 AM
anyone worried that the odd man out would the the Stanz?

Dicky McElephant
08-20-2011, 11:17 AM
You have been a rude fucking prick asshole. Apologize, or go cyber fuck yourself.

ROFL

Congrats. Thats the first time that anyone has demanded an apology from me over the net.

But yeah......you aren't getting one.

ForeverChiefs58
08-20-2011, 11:22 AM
ROFL

Congrats. Thats the first time that anyone has demanded an apology from me over the net.

But yeah......you aren't getting one.

ROFL

Hey, at least I made ya laugh. I cracked myself up when I typed it.

ForeverChiefs58
08-20-2011, 11:36 AM
anyone worried that the odd man out would the the Stanz?

Stanzi would not be worse than Alex Smith, and we already spent a draft pick on him. If anything happened to Cassel I don't think either one would win very many games with our schedule so might as well let the guy we drafted have a shot.

Everyone should pray our #2 or #3 doesn't play, so might as well let it be our guy vs. someone elses trash that they would love to get rid of.

Former #1 pick with history of INT, fumbles, bad decision making, never a winning record. There is a reason crowds boo him.

Might as well look at Jamarcus Russell too then, at least he wouldn't cost a draft pick.

boogblaster
08-20-2011, 11:47 AM
no the jerkoffcus ... no to smith too ... better old QBs out there ....

Chiefs Pantalones
08-20-2011, 11:49 AM
All I want for Christmas is a franchise QB.

RedThat
08-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Alex Smith? Please.

No thanks. He is junk.

RedThat
08-20-2011, 11:51 AM
All I want for Christmas is a franchise QB.

Me too. But where do we find one?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Me too. But where do we find one?

The draft. But drafting a QB in the first round is prohibited lol :)

RedThat
08-20-2011, 12:02 PM
The draft. But drafting a QB in the first round is prohibited lol :)

Yeah. We usually either trade for one or sign one.

milkman
08-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeah. We usually either trade for one or sign one.

No, we don't.

CoMoChief
08-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Sometimes Stanzi looks better in the pocket than Cassel.

Arm and throwing mechanics are sure as shit better than Cassel's.

I'd really like to see Stanzi behind a good Oline as opposed to running for his life as soon as the ball is hiked.

KurtCobain
08-20-2011, 01:50 PM
No, we don't.

You shut your whore mouth.

milkman
08-20-2011, 02:23 PM
You shut your whore mouth.

What?

We signed a franchise QB off the street back in 1962.

Since that time, we haven't signed, traded for, drafted, or shit a franchise QB.

So, in short, no we don't do jack except dream about franchise QBs.

HemiEd
08-20-2011, 02:50 PM
What?

Since that time, we haven't signed, traded for, drafted, or shit a franchise QB.

They tried to draft one 28 years ago, reached in a barrel full of tits and pulled out a dick, then traded away their future for one 18 years ago. Other than that, not much.

RedThat
08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

I'd really like to see Stanzi behind a good Oline as opposed to running for his life as soon as the ball is hiked.

Bang on!

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-20-2011, 02:59 PM
http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979971113 is this where you got it?

KurtCobain
08-20-2011, 03:05 PM
What?

So, in no way possible could Trent Green have been labeled a Franchise QB? What the qualifications for that anyhow?

JD10367
08-20-2011, 07:08 PM
51/53 really isn't that bad for a backup QB. Especially considering hes coming from such a bad and messed up organization.

This. It's not like Alex Smith has been the starting QB for the Steelers or Patriots or some other solid team, and the whole team was awesome but he sucked and was the only reason they lost.

As has been said: it's to be the backup. Not the starter. If you can bring in a guy, for cheap money, who has already thrown over 50 touchdowns in the NFL, compared to two backups with little experience, it's a no-brainer.

Hell, as a Patriots fan, I'd be more than happy if Belichick traded Brian Hoyer to you guys, and then traded for Alex Smith to be Brady's backup.

MIAdragon
08-20-2011, 07:11 PM

As would I, I dont think Cassel has much on him other than salary and time in the league.

milkman
08-20-2011, 07:15 PM
So, in no way possible could Trent Green have been labeled a Franchise QB? What the qualifications for that anyhow?

I liked Green.

He was a very good QB for the Chiefs, and a great fit for the system that Vermeil and Saunders brought to the team.

However, a franchise QB is a guy that takes over games, who makes the people around him better, and isn't as reliant on others to make him better.

That was not Green.

BossChief
08-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Or the fact that the organization wants nothing to do with Smith because he didn't live up to his hype.You have no idea why they want him gone.

My educated guess is that Harbaugh (who is a damn good guy as far as quarterbacks go) doesn't see the potential in him that the front office did when they resigned him for 4 million for one "lets see what Harbaugh thinks about you" year...with a possibility of adding another million through incentives.

That should be enough to pass on the kid in any trade.

Why would we trade for him anyway?

He doesnt know our offense.
He is a turnover machine
He hasnt developed into a quality player, even if looked at as a backup.
Dudes garbage.

Just the thought of giving up a draft pick and that salary for him makes me :facepalm:

BossChief
08-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I liked Green.

He was a very good QB for the Chiefs, and a great fit for the system that Vermeil and Saunders brought to the team.

However, a franchise QB is a guy that takes over games, who makes the people around him better, and isn't as reliant on others to make him better.

That was not Green.

What do you think of Stanzi, so far?

I want a quality, unbiased POV.

xztop12
08-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Larry Seely

RustShack
08-20-2011, 07:31 PM

I seen a few impressive throws. Hard to tell when hes playing third string and about sacked a second after snapping the ball.

BossChief
08-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I seen a few impressive throws. Hard to tell when hes playing third string and about sacked a second after snapping the ball.

I didnt ask you.

milkman
08-20-2011, 07:34 PM

It's hard to get a good read on Stanzi, given that he's had to start runnning for his life almost before the snap.

I do like the arm strength and the accuracy he has displayed when he's gotten the chance to set up and throw, and I liked the moxie he showed when under pressure and getting that flip out to Battle last week.

I'd like to see how he fares with some protection.

I know this.

His mechanics are miles ahead of Cassel's.

BossChief
08-20-2011, 07:40 PM
It's hard to get a good read on Stanzi, given that he's had to start runnning for his life almost before the snap.

I do like the arm strength and the accuracy he has displayed when he's gotten the chance to set up and throw, and I liked the moxie he showed when under pressure and getting that flip out to Battle last week.

I'd like to see how he fares with some protection.

I know this.

His mechanics are miles ahead of Cassel's.

thanks.

Pretty much what Ive seen so far, just wanted to make sure Ive been realistic.

BigChiefFan
08-20-2011, 08:03 PM
I liked Green.

That was not Green.

We're talking Eddie Kennison as our number one wide receiver. I'd say Green made those around him alot better. Dante Hall wasn't squat before or after Green QBing for him. I think Green is one of the better QBs in the accuracy department, especially considering previous Chiefs QBs.

Green's problem was a short-lived career, due to injury. Would I build my team around him? Probably not, but if he could have given one team 12 years plus, his skillset was franchisesque. We had a juggernaut offense and Green played a huge role in that. I think he teeters on being a franchise QB. Nobody on our roster even came close to unseating him.

Food for thought.

royr17
08-20-2011, 08:06 PM
I liked Green too, he was one of my favorite qbs of all time, great leader. Oh do I miss the days of him behind center, one thing is for sure, Cassel can never be what Green was.

milkman
08-20-2011, 08:20 PM
We're talking Eddie Kennison as our number one receiver. I'd say Green made those around him alot better. Dante Hall wasn't squat before or after Green QBing for him. I think Green is one of the better QBs in the accuracy department, especially considering previous Chiefs QBs.

Green's problem was a short-lived career, due to injury. Would I build my team around him? Probably not, but if he could have given one team 12 years plus, his skillset was franchisesque. We had a juggernaut offense and Green played a huge role in that. I think he teeters on being a franchise QB. Nobody on our roster even came close to unseating him.

Green made Kennison look better because the O-Line made Green look better.

Without that O-Line, Green was not a guy that could carry a team, and late game situations, I had no faith in Green to make plays.