PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Home Sale issue

mikeyis4dcats.
08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Ok, we are in the process of selling our home. It was built in 1947. The buyer had a sewer cam inspection done by a local plumber. The entirety of his "inspection report" was the following typed on his invoice for the sewer cam: Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Camera line from roof - shows cast iron then clay tile pipe with many long roots, standing water, and cracks. Recommend replacing sewer, our price for this $X,XXX. </td></tr></tbody></table>
Now, to me, aside from being wholly inadequate as an inspection report and being provided no video or images, the idea that a 60+ year old home would have a pristine sewer is a bit silly especially since homes of this age nearly all have clay tile pipe. The report indicates no collapse, no offset, and no blockage. I feel that unless shown more reason, our responsibility should be nothing more than to have the line root cleared.

I wouldn't expect a 60 year old home to have sheetrock without cracks and wear. I wouldn't expect the hvac equipment to be new.

What do you think?

CrazyPhuD
08-19-2011, 05:39 PM
The inspection company is about to go bankrupt because of the housing/construction crisis and they are desperate for any money from any job?

mikeyis4dcats.
08-19-2011, 05:40 PM
The inspection company is about to go bankrupt because of the housing/construction crisis and they are desperate for any money from any job?

thats just it...the inspection is done by a plumber....of course he is going to "recommend" anything he can

LiveSteam
08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Build an out house out back.

Cannibal
08-19-2011, 05:54 PM
We bought our first home in 2003. I wish we would have had a sewer line inspection. I requested a quote for trenchless pipe replacement with an exterior cleanout to finished grade....... $4,000!

Cannibal
08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Those tree roots suck major cock. Although we seem to have it timed pretty well now with the copper sulfate. We apply every three months now and it seems to be doing the trick.

Guru
08-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Unfortunately, in this economy, the buyers seem to have all the power. We had to take a big loss on our first home because everyone insisted we had to put in central air before they would buy it. The best thing you can do is to not have a house picked out so there is no pressure to break down and pay for things you don't want too. then be willing to live in an apartment while you house hunt yourself after your sale is complete.

Jenson71
08-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately, in this economy, the buyers seem to have all the power. We had to take a big loss on our first home because everyone insisted we had to put in central air before they would buy it. The best thing you can do is to not have a house picked out so there is no pressure to break down and pay for things you don't want too. then be willing to live in an apartment while you house hunt yourself after your sale is complete.

Central air does seem like it would be a necessity.

blaise
08-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Well, what did the buyer say? Are they asking you to deduct the money, or have it fixed or what?
I would just come back and say you'll do what you said, clear the roots. With a different guy.

NaptownChief
08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Selling a house is such a pain in the ass because the average person is just so damn stupid. The reality is that anything that is visable and known is built into the pricing and also should be built into the offer. Yet the average clown isn't smart enough to understand that concept. It's like you sell a house and the siding isn't perfect and the roof is 15 years old and you declare that....then the inspector comes back and says the siding isn't perfect and the roof is old and all of the sudden the buyer thinks you should spend $15k replacing them.

Hey dumbass, if the house had a brand new roof and siding I would have been asking about $15k more than it is priced!

Cannibal
08-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Selling a house is such a pain in the ass because the average person is just so damn stupid. The reality is that anything that is visable and known is built into the pricing and also should be built into the offer. Yet the average clown isn't smart enough to understand that concept. It's like you sell a house and the siding isn't perfect and the roof is 15 years old and you declare that....then the inspector comes back and says the siding isn't perfect and the roof is old and all of the sudden the buyer thinks you should spend $15k replacing them.

Hey dumbass, if the house had a brand new roof and siding I would have been asking about $15k more than it is priced!

Good point

Brock
08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
You'll have to hope that they love the house.

CrazyPhuD
08-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Now the real question, who is more stupid...the buyer asking to fix these things, or the seller who fixes them and charges nothing more? We call this negotiation....

blaise
08-19-2011, 06:42 PM

And the problem is you have no way to know what they're thinking, or how many offers you'll have.

NaptownChief
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
All that said, this sewer issue is one of those things that couldn't have been known and it is reasonable for them to ask for money. The real question is whether it is a normally functioning sewer for it's age or if there is really problems. My guess it is normal function and the inspector is just covering his ass.

nstygma
08-19-2011, 06:58 PM
All that said, this sewer issue is one of those things that couldn't have been known and it is reasonable for them to ask for money. The real question is whether it is a normally functioning sewer for it's age or if there is really problems. My guess it is normal function and the inspector is just covering his ass.we need more info. is the buyer asking him to pay for it? is there any history of sewer line issues?

Earthbound
08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Unless you have a lot of other interested buyers or offers, you will probably have to bend over and make the repairs. Also, depending on what kind of loan the buyer is applying for their bank may require them to get certain things fixed. If that's the case, you are making those repairs or putting your house back up on the market.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
we need more info. is the buyer asking him to pay for it? is there any history of sewer line issues?

The buyer hasn't indicated, the report just came this afternoon.

We have lived here 7 years, and cleared roots 3 times, including the weekend after we moved in. The second and third time was just to clean roots out of where the line connects to the manhole, it becomes pretty clogged there with a "beard" and the guy climbs down into the manhole with a spade and slices off the root mass.

Phobia
08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
If I were a buyer, I'd ask the seller to fix the sewer. If I were the seller, I would refuse. Nobody is wrong here. It boils down to how badly the buyer likes the house or how badly the seller wants to sell.

LiveSteam
08-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Case of
http://curezone.com/upload/_T_Forums/Toxins/roundup_monsanto.jpg

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, you have to fix it. Buyers expect a house of that age to be in perfect condition, and they don't think they should have to pay very much for it since it's old.

NaptownChief
08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes, you have to fix it. Buyers expect a house of that age to be in perfect condition, and they don't think they should have to pay very much for it since it's old.

ROFL

Only funny cause it is true.

Guru
08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Central air does seem like it would be a necessity.

We lived in it with window units for 3 years. It had AC.

ChiefButthurt
08-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Case of
http://curezone.com/upload/_T_Forums/Toxins/roundup_monsanto.jpg

Wrong...won't work. Roundup is a systemic chemical.