PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Credibility of the Chiefs takes a hit

Tribal Warfare
08-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Credibility of the Chiefs takes a hit (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/19/3087690/credibility-of-chiefs-takes-a.html)
SAM MELLINGER COMMENTARY

BALTIMORE | Even as the Chiefs guard details like wartime secrets, we know that a scuffle happened between their top draft pick and a respected veteran.

We know that the rookie is missing snaps and falling back before his rookie year even begins.

That’s not the worst part.

The Chiefs can try to ignore this incident and tell their players not to talk about it, but the story of the preseason has consequences both on and off the field. This is a horrible look for Jonathan Baldwin, the first-year receiver who already carried a reputation as a diva, and the second time Thomas Jones is known to have fought a younger teammate.

Those are both minor sidebars to the big takeaway: General manager Scott Pioli and the Chiefs’ decision makers look foolish today.

The Chiefs lost their second preseason game 31-13 to the Ravens on Friday. There are football issues to discuss, but for now the only topic that matters is a midweek scuffle between Baldwin and Jones that occurred during training camp and has Baldwin injured and unsure when he’ll return.

“If it’s not a football question, at this point, there’s nothing for me to answer,” Jones said after the game, in which he played and gained 15 yards on five carries. “If it’s not a football question, I’m really not interested in answering.”

Stopped in the locker room, head coach Todd Haley confirmed that Baldwin was back in Kansas City “getting treatment” but otherwise declined to comment.

Some context is essential here. Training camp fights happen all the time. Testosterone-charged men are isolated with each other and millions of dollars at stake, so stuff happens. Most of it we never hear about. The day before Jones and Baldwin reportedly got into it away from fans and media, there was a minor scuffle on the practice field.

So a fight between teammates is neither unusual nor unexpected.

But it is significant, most notably because the first-round draft pick is now injured. That makes it a big deal for the Chiefs’ offense. Baldwin is a key part of insulating quarterback Matt Cassel with enough playmakers to be one of the league’s more dynamic offenses.

Already without a summer’s worth of workouts and reps because of the lockout, Baldwin is now even further behind. What this does for his status in the locker room is even worse. First impressions matter.

The biggest egg, though, is on Pioli’s face. He spent most of the last two years preaching character and team-building and especially The Right 53 — a reference to fielding the right men, upstanding men, on the club’s 53-man roster. The first two years of the Pioli regime, the Chiefs drafted team captains and National Merit finalists. They were very clear that this was part of The Plan.

But all of that felt more like convenient rhetoric this spring when Pioli selected Baldwin, whose time in college included charges of indecent assault, harassment and disorderly conduct that were later dropped. That’s not to mention his public accusations that his coaches at the University of Pittsburgh were deliberately sabotaging his draft stock.

After the draft, the Chiefs went out of their way to squash any talk about Baldwin’s issues.

“We are very comfortable making him a Kansas City Chief,” Haley said.

“We talked to a lot of people on this, and we feel very confident,” Pioli said.

“I won’t be a problem,” Baldwin said.

Three weeks into training camp, there is already evidence against that. To whatever extent it disrupts the Chiefs’ progress, Pioli is the one in charge and in line for the blame.

It isn’t just Baldwin. The Chiefs used a third-round pick on linebacker Justin Houston, who reportedly failed a drug test before the draft.

They went away from the Boy Scouts and citizenship award winners they so valued while building the Chiefs into AFC West champions last year, and they didn’t make it to the first real game before the first real problem.

There is a credibility issue here. Privately and publicly, they have talked up Baldwin’s character, promoting the fact that he moved in with Cassel for part of the summer and downplaying his past problems as overblown.

Whatever the genesis of the issue between Baldwin and Jones, who once scuffled with fellow running back Cedric Benson when the two played in Chicago, it puts Pioli and the other decision makers in an awful spot.

If there is a significant feeling in the locker room that Baldwin was the instigator, then not only are the Chiefs seeing their top rookie’s development set back, there are questions about the franchise’s overall direction.

When a group ties itself so closely to a philosophy, credits it for success and then shifts away from it, opinions will be formed.

Again, scuffles between football players during training camp are not uncommon. This isn’t the end of their progress or a condemnation of what the organization stands for.

If the Chiefs have been as successful at team-building as they say during the new regime’s first two seasons, they should be able to move past this and classify it as a normal locker room occurrence that just happened to leak out to the public.

The hope within the organization is that Baldwin can use this incident as a positive experience. He wouldn’t be the first Chiefs receiver to shed some knucklehead.

The point is that there are people — inside the locker room and out — who believe Pioli never should have taken the risk.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 12:44 AM
The only reason this is even an issue is because Baldwin got injured. If everyone walked away clean, there wouldn't be a story. People need to chill a bit on the Baldwin/diva thing. Fights happen, and Thomas Jones, although respected, is certainly not a saint.

Count Alex's Wins
08-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Egoli!

chiefzilla1501
08-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Give me a break .There's no credibility lost. Dwayne Bowe's comments last season had more opportunity to divide the locker room than some scuffle that was made public.

This is why you build a team out of character. For situations like these. I'd be shocked if everyone wasn't business as usual today.

T-post Tom
08-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Complete hyperbole. I guess someone has to pick up the slack for Whitlock's absence.

T-post Tom
08-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Give me a break .There's no credibility lost. Dwayne Bowe's comments last season had more opportunity to divide the locker room than some scuffle that was made public.

This is why you build a team out of character. For situations like these. I'd be shocked if everyone wasn't business as usual today.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

Phobia
08-20-2011, 12:50 AM
The only reason this is even an issue is because Baldwin got injured. If everyone walked away clean, there wouldn't be a story. People need to chill a bit on the Baldwin/diva thing. Fights happen, and Thomas Jones, although respected, is certainly not a saint.

I agree with most of what you're saying here but I would like to add...

The biggest reason this is an issue is because the Chiefs are trying their very best to make it a non-story.

Here's how it should go:

Haley: Yes, we had a scuffle between a veteran and our rookie first round pick. We're disappointed. It's unfortunate. It's a development setback for Baldwin because he's going to be out 4 weeks. We're going to make sure he runs routes and gets conditioning so he'll be ready when his wrist is healthy. Next question?

What would the talking heads on the radio have to talk about all day if that's how the Chiefs deal with it? I'm so tired of the lies and stupidity that comes from these guys. Press conferences are worthless. They don't say anything. Ever.

KcMizzou
08-20-2011, 12:51 AM
Media: "Holy shit!!! We have a story!!! Lets milk this bitch!!"

ClevelandBronco

Everyone except the injured head case anyway.

BigMeatballDave
Mellinger is a fucking drama queen.

Micjones
On the one hand Mellinger goes out of his way to make fights on the practice field seem innocuous. On the other...Pioli ALREADY has egg on his face for a scuffle in practice? This isn't over a suspension. This isn't over an arrest. He had a fight.

He goes on to suggest he doesn't know the full back story.
How can he be so sure Baldwin wasn't DEFENDING himself?

This will be a non-issue in 3 more weeks so long as this isn't a prolonged injury.

Football teams are never comprised entirely of players who haven't had some issues along the way. Something tells me we oughta be watching something other than professional sports if we're Hell-bent on getting our morality fix.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 12:52 AM

The biggest reason this is an issue is because the Chiefs are trying their very best to make it a non-story.

Here's how it should go:

Haley: Yes, we had a scuffle between a veteran and our rookie first round pick. We're disappointed. It's unfortunate. It's a development setback for Baldwin because he's going to be out 4 weeks. We're going to make sure he runs routes and gets conditioning so he'll be ready when his wrist is healthy. Next question?

What would the talking heads on the radio have to talk about all day if that's how the Chiefs deal with it? I'm so tired of the lies and stupidity that comes from these guys. Press conferences are worthless. They don't say anything. Ever.

Yeah it's certainly not fun from a fan perspective. But they can only get away with that stuff if the Chiefs are winning. If they become losers, and Todd still tries to pull that stuff, it won't be pretty.

keg in kc
08-20-2011, 12:57 AM
The only problem with the situation in my eyes is the way they handled it on the radio broadcast. For nearly four hours Mitch Holthus said Haley was going to make a statement about it after the conclusion of the game. He said this during the pregame show. He said it during the game. He said it during the postgame show. And then when the press conference started, Haley said nothing about it. When Teicher finally asked him the question, Haley played dumb. I thought that looked (okay, sounded...) really bush league.

I have no problem with their PR approach in a general sense. They don't comment on much. They're locked up like Fort Knox. And that's fine. That is to say, that would be fine, if they didn't spend four hours telling everybody they were going to comment on this. Which made it sound like it was something important that Haley had to address. And then when he replied the way he did during the press conference, it just came off really badly.

If you want to stick with "no comment", then freaking stick with no comment. Don't treat the media like they're idiots (even if they are), don't treat the fans like we're idiots (even if we are). Don't say you're going to do one thing and then turn around and do another, act like you don't have a clue what people are talking about, and then act like you're offended that they're even asking, when they've been told for half the night you're going to comment on it. Now it sounds like something important that you're trying to sweep under the rug. And in doing that I think you're turning what I personally believe is a non-story, or a minor story, into a big story. Your're providing ammunition for pieces just like Mellinger's.

Maybe it was the left hand not talking to the right hand. Maybe Haley changed his mind. Whatever it was, it wasn't a good way to handle it.

lcarus
08-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Well Mellinger, I for one don't really blame Pioli for sometimes breaking his "only draft/sign team captains and boy scouts" approach. Every once in a while you gotta take a risk on talent. Which I believe Baldwin has a ton of.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Yeah Haley's whole "I know nothing" act was pretty pathetic. And he awkwardly repeated twice, "Baldwin did not play tonight due to injury". His acting and B.S. was terrible.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Well Mellinger, I for one don't really blame Pioli for sometimes breaking his "only draft/sign team captains and boy scouts" approach. Every once in a while you gotta take a risk on talent. Which I believe Baldwin has a ton of.

Watch, next year we will go all choir boys, and Mellinger will be wondering why we didn't take a big time playmaker, even if he had a bit of a history.

tk13
08-20-2011, 01:02 AM
I really think some people will never get the "right 53" thing. They did acquire guys who would be locker room leaders to create a sense of accountability in the locker room. But it has never meant having an entire team of boy scouts. At least I never thought so.

keg in kc
08-20-2011, 01:08 AM
I really think some people will never get the "right 53" thing. They did acquire guys who would be locker room leaders to create a sense of accountability in the locker room. But it has never meant having an entire team of boy scouts. At least I never thought so.You are correct. Build the core, have that core help keep later pieces in line (eventually, hopefully helping them to fit into the team, as well).

Micjones
08-20-2011, 01:08 AM
I could give two shits how they handle it publicly.
As long as it's been addressed in-house...

rocknrolla
08-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Yeah Haley's whole "I know nothing" act was pretty pathetic. And he awkwardly repeated twice, "Baldwin did not play tonight due to injury". His acting and B.S. was terrible.

Like his I know nothing about Weiss leaving last year.:rolleyes:

Phobia
08-20-2011, 01:14 AM

Seriously? I mean, I don't need to know every single detail or even their chosen method of discipline. But acknowledging it is a whole lot more preferable than lying about it or blowing smoke up my ass.

Just Passin' By
08-20-2011, 01:17 AM
That was quite an idiotic article.

lcarus
08-20-2011, 01:20 AM
I don't really have a problem with them just avoiding the question and trying to move on. I just wanna know when Baldwin will be 100% and how he will fit into the offense when he returns.

Brock
08-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Seriously? I mean, I don't need to know every single detail or even their chosen method of discipline. But acknowledging it is a whole lot more preferable than lying about it or blowing smoke up my ass.

It's preferable to you. The team doesn't give a shit.

DaFace
08-20-2011, 01:27 AM
I barely pay attention to the KC media, but this guy seems like a drama queen.

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I think there was a time where I thought this was a big deal.

That time is gone.

Fruit Ninja
08-20-2011, 01:58 AM

That time is gone.

im glad i8 never thought stuff like that was a big deal.

It happened, get over it and move on. Not everyone is going to get along and sometimes, people snap. We dont even know who started the fight, if it was someone else, im glad the dude didnt pussy out and defended himself, He kinda had to have since his hand is injured lol

KC Tattoo
08-20-2011, 02:07 AM

Amen. That's what I think too. It's a nonyabuisness story publicly. In-house Haley can make an example of both men envolved and then leave it at that.

If it were me as coach, I would probably just have them hug it out in the middle of the field.

Phobia
08-20-2011, 02:14 AM
It's preferable to you. The team doesn't give a shit.

Heh. I figured that one out a few years back. They're PR wizards though. Who am I to question? Their brand of BS is obviously working for them.

KC Tattoo
08-20-2011, 02:16 AM
The good thing is that once Baldwin returns for regular season play, there won't be much film on him for our apponents to look at. We havn't, They havn't seen nothing yet, so I'm expecting something in the awesomeness realm to come with his return.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-20-2011, 02:26 AM
I don't think Baldwin will be a factor this year anyway. He's a dumb rookie who will under-achieve because he will have missed most of the pre-season and may well have an attitude problem. This year is about Bowe, Breaston, Moeaki, Cassell and maybe some McCluster in the passing game. Baldwin doesn't even matter imo. We'll see you next year when you grow up a little son.

Phobia
08-20-2011, 02:32 AM
The good thing is that once Baldwin returns for regular season play, there won't be much film on him for our apponents to look at. We havn't, They havn't seen nothing yet, so I'm expecting something in the awesomeness realm to come with his return.

That's a pretty sparse silver lining. I admire your optimism but it's a stretch.

KC Tattoo
08-20-2011, 02:36 AM
That's a pretty sparse silver lining. I admire your optimism but it's a stretch.

:D I try

Well dang, it was a pile on for Baldwin today and shit nobody knows a damn thing about it, so I figure to look at the bright side of it.

KC Tattoo
08-20-2011, 02:40 AM
I don't think Baldwin will be a factor this year anyway. He's a dumb rookie who will under-achieve because he will have missed most of the pre-season and may well have an attitude problem. This year is about Bowe, Breaston, Moeaki, Cassell and maybe some McCluster in the passing game. Baldwin doesn't even matter imo. We'll see you next year when you grow up a little son.

I bet he has a bigger impact than you think. Just having his pressence on the field is going to open oppertunities for others & I think he is going be a great asset in the running game blocking down field.

stevieray
08-20-2011, 03:24 AM
see, this is what I'm beginning to tire of, eveybody up in everybodys elses business 24/7, looking for anything to parent each other about. (I'm guilty too)

....it doesn't say squat about the team or the coach, or the players involved.

it's guys competing. it's adrenaline.

shit happens.

:rolleyes:

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-20-2011, 03:31 AM
I bet he has a bigger impact than you think. Just having his pressence on the field is going to open oppertunities for others & I think he is going be a great asset in the running game blocking down field.

Will be glad to be wrong. Hope he really makes an impact. Believe it when I see it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-20-2011, 03:32 AM
see, this is what I'm beginning to tire of, eveybody up in everybodys elses business 24/7, looking for anything to parent each other about. (I'm guilty too)

it's guys competeing. it's adrenaline.

shit happens.

Are you new to CP Stevie?

:D

Count Alex's Wins
08-20-2011, 03:33 AM

it's guys competeing. it's adrenaline.

shit happens.

It's just like the bullshit last week about Haley's approach to the game.

No one will care in a couple months.

Phobia
08-20-2011, 03:35 AM
:D I try

Well dang, it was a pile on for Baldwin today and shit nobody knows a damn thing about it, so I figure to look at the bright side of it.

Would you agree there's a lot of film on Jerry Rice over 20 years? Did that hinder him - even though most people acknowledge he wasn't necessarily a physical specimen? Baldwin will probably do okay in this league but it's going to be a year or more before we can really count on him as a dependable game-changer.

stevieray
08-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Are you new to CP Stevie?

:D
actually, old to the planet would be more fitting...

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Baldwin will probably do okay in this league but it's going to be a year or more before we can really count on him as a dependable game-changer.

I said this but people disagreed with me heh.

For the time being Baldwin is a non factor imo until he proves he isn't.

LOCOChief
08-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Is Mellinger Whitlock?

A KC sportswriter starting this kind of shit, this early? I won't read him anymore.

GFY Mellinger

Hog Farmer
08-20-2011, 07:21 AM
If all we had was team Captains there would be a bigger problem. We drafted and brought in the team leaders last year. This gives them something to do.

alpha_omega
08-20-2011, 07:25 AM
HEADLINE: Mellinger's credability takes a hit for writing $hitty article.

BigRedChief
08-20-2011, 07:29 AM
I know as fact that Derrick Thomas punched Steve Bono in the shoulder during an argument about the poor play of the offense. He was trying to punch him in the face but missed when players stepped in to break it up.

If that would have been made public that would have been a big deal.

GEEEZZZZ come on, football is a violent game played by a bunch of Alpha males and millions of $'s at stake. They need to be emotionally "up" on the field or they will get killed. There is no way can get their hyped up emotions restored to fully "normal" by the time they hit the locker room.

This shit happens all the time. The only reason we even know is because someone got hurt.

Okie_Apparition
08-20-2011, 07:41 AM
big whoop, you wanna tweet about it

Deberg_1990
08-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Here's how it should go:

yes, this is certainly a case where being quiet and secretive can work against you. This will just continue to be fuel for the talk show nuts.

tomahawk kid
08-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Mellinger is a ****ing drama queen.

THIS.

I'm so sick of the local media talking and writing about how they're no longer getting "access".

You know what - they SUCK anyway. It wouldn't matter if Pioli passed around Jamal's jock to sniff - its not going to make them better journalists.

Sorry, just find this whole thing ridiculous. It would seem to me the only one losing credibility this morning is Mellinger.

Messier
08-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Who was it that swung his helmet and broke John Tait's nose several years back? The local media treated that as a joke.

Is this being made a big deal just because Baldwin got hurt? I'm sure, but that's not the point Mellinger is trying to make. He's trying to make a training camp fight, which isn't unusual, into a underlying problem with the organization. I think it's silly and disingenuous, and as most local commentary, seems like it's meant to punish the Chiefs for being so secretive.

milkman
08-20-2011, 08:41 AM
OH NO!

The Chiefs are melting down!

TEX
08-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Who was it that swung his helmet and broke John Tait's nose several years back? The local media treated that as a joke.

Is this being made a big deal just because Baldwin got hurt? I'm sure, but that's not the point Mellinger is trying to make. He's trying to make a training camp fight, which isn't unusual, into a underlying problem with the organization. I think it's silly and disingenuous, and as most local commentary, seems like it's meant to punish the Chiefs for being so secretive.

Victor Riley.

OnTheWarpath58
08-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Here's how it should go:

This.

A million times this.

Smed1065
08-20-2011, 08:49 AM

That time is gone.

Like hours later?

So you realize you suck at football knowledge?

Smed1065
08-20-2011, 08:52 AM
This.

A million times this.

Damn conspiracy, I say.

No receipts or no we love our fans, let them run my job. LOL

Consider if it was your job. :hmmm

Yeah not in the public eye, etc..

Grains of sand to them.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2011, 08:57 AM
OH NO!

The Chiefs are melting down!

This is one of those times i hate the Internets and media age we live in. This kind of stuff has gone on for years and years.....fans have too much access now.

chiefzilla1501
08-20-2011, 09:02 AM
yes, this is certainly a case where being quiet and secretive can work against you. This will just continue to be fuel for the talk show nuts.

Yes and no.

Being secretive could hurt the Chiefs... then again, what if the truth is worse than the speculation? And how can the coach say something without taking sides?

Everybody knows there was a fight. The only thing we don't know is why. And I don't see how Haley addressing that is going to help the situation. Would only make it worse.

Okie_Apparition
08-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Victor Riley was the one who rammed his wife's car(which had his babies in it) with his. Because a Chiefs WR was in the front seat with her. Not so sure he was the one who creamed Tait

J Diddy
08-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Victor Riley was the one who rammed his wife's car(which had his babies in it) with his. Because a Chiefs WR was in the front seat with her. Not so sure he was the one who creamed Tait

That would be Eddie Freeman for 300 Alex

Okie_Apparition
08-20-2011, 09:59 AM
That's right Freeman. I'm pretty sure the WR in the car was Cat Morris

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Its comical that the media and fans feel they are entitled to know the details or expect that the Chiefs should address this to their liking...

ROFL...

I love that Pioli and Haley could give two shits about what the media and fans think they deserve in the form of information.

buddha
08-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Mellinger is a puss, plain and simple. He brings up Houston as one of the bad boys that were drafted, and guess what...? He was about the only Chief in the Ravens backfield last night. We need fewer choir boys and more nasty ones.

I'm more pissed at Baldwin because he should have been able to body slam Thomas Jones who is half his size.

Messier
08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
They're trying to make Pioli's "the right 53" into what "the five year plan" was to Peterson. A kind of gotcha that can pulled out whenever it seems apt to prove some point they think they're making.

Demonpenz
08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't really care, it is apart of the media nfl game. Guys have large egos.

Marcellus
08-20-2011, 10:55 AM
LOL at the KC Start writing crew saying the Chiefs have lost credibility. They have to be one of the worst mid market sports journalist departments in the country.

The Orlando Sentinel has a top notch sports department and hey don't even have a MLB or NFL franchise in that town for God's sake.

DBOSHO
08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Egoli and Failey have lost the team completely. Wheres Carl when you need him?

Sure-Oz
08-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Who on the chiefs has the initials DF? friend texted me from the game last night saying df had some heart, i have no clue wtf their talking about....

KcMizzou
08-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Who on the chiefs has the initials DF? friend texted me from the game last night saying df had some heart, i have no clue wtf their talking about....defense?

JASONSAUTO
08-20-2011, 11:21 AM
defense?

Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
08-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Thats probably what they meant lmao, i never got a response after so its been bothering me sorry to hijack for a sec

Ugly Duck
08-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Here's my article on the subject:

Two guys got in a fight. One got injured & will miss a coupla preseason games. Move on.

Halfcan
08-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Complete hyperbole. I guess someone has to pick up the slack for Whitlock's absence.

:clap:

Exactly!!

Someone is throwing a temper tantrum because does not give a shit about the media/ he treats the bad ones like the Pariah dogs they are.

ChiefsCountry
08-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh no a locker room fight, that never happens in football. I swear in high school we had or about got into at least one to two fist fights a day during practice. That was among best friends. Locker room fights happen. I don't see them tearing a part a team either. It just happens.

suzzer99
08-20-2011, 12:36 PM
As long as this is the rumor thread, did Marty really shtup Greg Hill's wife and/or his own baby sitter?

MoreLemonPledge
08-20-2011, 12:39 PM
As long as this is the rumor thread, did Marty really shtup Greg Hill's wife and/or his own baby sitter?

Yes, in Bill Cowher's Leawood home. It was actually right after he got done shopping at Best Buy with Charlie Weis. Zach Miller was there, too.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Mellinger really is trying to take Whitlock's place as KC's leading troll writer.

MoreLemonPledge
08-20-2011, 12:42 PM
ONE SENTENCE PER PARAGRAPH, SAM. DON'T FUCK THIS UP.

GloryDayz
08-20-2011, 01:07 PM
No news here, let's move on...

bigbucks24
08-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Negative article about the Chiefs? The writer is a hack. A stupid moron. Positive article? The writer really gets it. Smart and articulate.

IF this were about the Donkeys, CP would be all over this, dogging the Donks for picking a diva receiver to replace Marshall. But it's about the Chiefs. Nothing to see here. Happens all the time.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Okay, so the first two years, the Chiefs draft mainly captains and persons of very high character. The third year, they take a couple of chances on guys with great talent for the draft spot, but some 'concerns'.... The only two that I can think of are Baldwin and Houston. I think every single other player drafted has been pretty squeaky clean.....

So, two out of 20 or so draft picks, less than 10% reduces it all to rhetoric?

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 01:44 PM
No news here, let's move on...

Wait shouldnt we be demanding an explaination from Haley at the next press conference...

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Here's how it should go:

Disagree with you here Buddy...

If I was Haley and Pioli, I wouldnt talk answer any questions about it. Its an internal issue, The fans and media have no need to know...

bishop_74
08-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Disagree with you here Buddy...

If I was Haley and Pioli, I wouldnt talk answer any questions about it. Its an internal issue, The fans and media have no need to know...

I may be misunderstanding you here, but I don't think he is saying that it is like public office where it is all public information. He is saying to make it a non issue you need to get it out in the open, and talk about it like it is a non issue. They are really tying to make a story out of nothing. The real story is our first round draft pick is injured. Outside of that it was due to something that is as common as sneezing in NFL locker rooms.

KChiefs1
08-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I wasted 5 minutes reading this shit??????

GloryDayz
08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Wait shouldnt we be demanding an explaination from Haley at the next press conference...

No, just no... He'll screech irrelevant things out in that scratchy voice of his and just sound tired. Nope, listening him talk is pretty much like watching paint dry.

Rausch
08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
No, just no... He'll screech irrelevant things out in that scratchy voice of his and just sound tired. Nope, listening him talk is pretty much like watching paint dry.

Look, there isn't much you'll get from a preseason game. And a fight during what substitutes for .........HOLY $3IT THIS MAY BE THE MOST PERFECT *** I'VE EVER SEEN!

ChiefsCountry
08-20-2011, 02:37 PM
LOL at the KC Start writing crew saying the Chiefs have lost credibility. They have to be one of the worst mid market sports journalist departments in the country.

The Orlando Sentinel has a top notch sports department and hey don't even have a MLB or NFL franchise in that town for God's sake.

Its bc the Star has ran everybody off that worth a shit. For all the hate Whitlock gets, he is one of the top sports writers in the country. Not to mention JoPo as well. Ivan Carter was a top notch beat writer. College guys do a pretty good job though.

Just Passin' By
08-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Negative article about the Chiefs? The writer is a hack. A stupid moron. Positive article? The writer really gets it. Smart and articulate.

IF this were about the Donkeys, CP would be all over this, dogging the Donks for picking a diva receiver to replace Marshall. But it's about the Chiefs. Nothing to see here. Happens all the time.

It's a shit article. Guys get into fights. Teams cover it up. It happens all the time. There's no credibility issue here. Do you think the Panthers or Redskins somehow increased their credibility, or decreased overall coverage, because Smith and Westbrook were outed for going after fellow players?

stevieray
08-20-2011, 02:56 PM
women to report on the sidelines...

film at 11

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 03:06 PM

Haha.

You have zero idea what this place is like.

Marcellus
08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Its bc the Star has ran everybody off that worth a shit. For all the hate Whitlock gets, he is one of the top sports writers in the country. Not to mention JoPo as well. Ivan Carter was a top notch beat writer. College guys do a pretty good job though.

JoPo was not ran off, he got an offer from SI to go national.

Whictlock is one of the best sports writers in the country? LMAO.

His career since leaving the Star hasn't exactly blossomed, he has been fired from several gigs already. Do you think he is really taken seriously by anybody? If he were white he never would have gotten noticed. His constant cries of racism where usually there was nothing close was his only clame to fame. He pulled that card so many times it was worn thin and once he was recognized as a 1 trick pony he has tanked.

Back to the point, yes JoPo is the shiznit. They replaced him and Whitlock who was at least controversial (and black) enough to get attention, with hacks. If The Star was relevant they wouldn't have the hacks they do working for them. It's a joke, they all suck ass.

KCrockaholic
08-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Yeaaah. But no. You don't understand the way Chiefsplanet people actually are.

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 03:31 PM
JoPo was not ran off, he got an offer from SI to go national.

Whictlock is one of the best sports writers in the country? LMAO.

His career since leaving the Star hasn't exactly blossomed, he has been fired from several gigs already. Do you think he is really taken seriously by anybody? If he were white he never would have gotten noticed. His constant cries of racism where usually there was nothing close was his only clame to fame. He pulled that card so many times it was worn thin and once he was recognized as a 1 trick pony he has tanked.

What? Whitlock has been at FoxSports since he left the Star.

Pablo
08-20-2011, 03:35 PM

IF this were about the Donkeys, CP would be all over this, dogging the Donks for picking a diva receiver to replace Marshall. But it's about the Chiefs. Nothing to see here. Happens all the time.This guy has his finger on the pulse of Chiefs Planet.

Marcellus
08-20-2011, 05:41 PM
What? Whitlock has been at FoxSports since he left the Star.

He got canned from ESPN and has been removed from several shows.

He is irrelevant.

chiefzilla1501
08-20-2011, 06:29 PM
The difference is that Whitlock was really, really good at pushing the right buttons. I usually didn't agree with him, but man...

Mellinger is trying to push the same buttons but it's not working. I can't remember any of his articles leading to CP members throwing daggers at him the way Whitlock wrote.

DaFace
08-20-2011, 06:36 PM
The difference is that Whitlock was really, really good at pushing the right buttons. I usually didn't agree with him, but man...

Mellinger is trying to push the same buttons but it's not working. I can't remember any of his articles leading to CP members throwing daggers at him the way Whitlock wrote.

True. It's more like "what the hell is this idiot talking about?"

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I may be misunderstanding you here, but I don't think he is saying that it is like public office where it is all public information. He is saying to make it a non issue you need to get it out in the open, and talk about it like it is a non issue. They are really tying to make a story out of nothing. The real story is our first round draft pick is injured. Outside of that it was due to something that is as common as sneezing in NFL locker rooms.

Fair enough...

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 06:48 PM
He got canned from ESPN and has been removed from several shows.

He is irrelevant.
You said he has been fired multiple times since leaving the Star.

That is false.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 06:50 PM

That is false.

Who cares? Dude is irrelevant, has been for some time now...

This like arguing about Jimmy Johnson vs Bill Walsh... its outdated and pointless....

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Who cares? Dude is irrelevant, has been for some time now...

This like arguing about Jimmy Johnson vs Bill Walsh... its outdated and pointless....

He is so irrelevant he gets brought up all the time locally and nationally on top of being one of the better paid sports writers in the business.

Just because you type things does not make them true.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 06:54 PM
He is so irrelevant he gets brought up all the time locally and nationally on top of being one of the better paid sports writers in the business.

Just because no one really cares about Racism Whitlock doesnt mean that he is the next top sports writer in the country...

Shit I couldnt even remember the last time he wrote an article that either made sense and/or had any substance or point....

But if you want to follow his dying career, be my guest.

Marcellus
08-20-2011, 06:54 PM

That is false.

Ummm ok, he has been outright fired from ESPN after being fired by the Star and is not considered relevant by anybody I know or anything I watch or listen to (and I watch a ton of sports shows and listen to sports radio daily) even though he is still employed by Fox Sports.

Better?

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Ummm ok, he has been outright fired from ESPN after being fired by the Star and is not considered relevant by anybody I know or anything I watch or listen to (and I watch a ton of sports shows and listen to sports radio daily) even though he is still employed by Fox Sports.

Better?

That isn't true. Your timeline is completely off kilter. He went from the Star to Foxsports. Did ESPN while at the Star.

Marcellus
08-20-2011, 06:56 PM

I listen to national sports radio on Fox and ESPN daily and almost never hear his name.

I am on the internet reading sports news all the time and rarely and I mean rarely see reference to one of his columns.

We all know you like him Zach, that doesn't make him relevant to shit.

Marcellus
08-20-2011, 06:57 PM
That isn't true. Your timeline is completely off kilter. He went from the Star to Foxsports. Did ESPN while at the Star.

I am sorry, he was outright fired by ESPN prior to being fired by the Star.

I apologize my timeline of his failures and firing is not accurate enough for you.

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Just because no one really cares about Racism Whitlock doesnt mean that he is the next top sports writer in the country...

Shit I couldnt even remember the last time he wrote an article that either made sense and/or had any substance or point....

But if you want to follow his dying career, be my guest.
You don't have to like him. I completely understand not liking him. I don't like Peyton Manning but I don't pretend he isn't a good QB.

No matter how many false claims the haters make like being fired after leaving the Star or having a dying career. lol.

You know what I miss? All the Whitlock threads that would be posted when he was covering the Chiefs that always...always included someone saying "Damn, I don't like Whitlock but this is a great article." It never failed.

But I am sure one of the highest paid people in a field of writing doesnt write anything "with substance that has any point"

You are in hater fantasy land.

|Zach|
08-20-2011, 07:00 PM
I am sorry, he was outright fired by ESPN prior to being fired by the Star.

I apologize my timeline of his failures and firing is not accurate enough for you.

You said he was fired multiple times after leaving the Star.

Sorry you don't like being called out for making shit up.

Marcellus
08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
You said he was fired multiple times after leaving the Star.

Sorry you don't like being called out for making shit up.

I didn't make shit up but hey if it makes you feel better Zach go ahead and think so. Just like I said, sorry I got the timeline wrong.

Whitlock being irrelevant is not my issue it's yours.

Reerun_KC
08-20-2011, 08:24 PM
You don't have to like him. I completely understand not liking him. I don't like Peyton Manning but I don't pretend he isn't a good QB.

No matter how many false claims the haters make like being fired after leaving the Star or having a dying career. lol.

You know what I miss? All the Whitlock threads that would be posted when he was covering the Chiefs that always...always included someone saying "Damn, I don't like Whitlock but this is a great article." It never failed.

But I am sure one of the highest paid people in a field of writing doesnt write anything "with substance that has any point"

You are in hater fantasy land.

I dont miss a thing, never have and never will miss anything he writes, says or whether or not he even breathes....

I will continue to live in my "fantasy land" thankfully my fantasy land doesnt include your daddy Whitlock...

I do miss calling and emailing him calling him out on his racism... Dude was super sensative when he got called out...

He is a Stephen A Smith racists wanna be... And totally irrelevant to KC sports and pretty much any sport I watch.

boogblaster
08-20-2011, 08:34 PM
ya think ....

Easy 6
08-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Exactly what i was going to say, i think Mellingers finally found his niche.