PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Blitz | A look at the good, the bad and the ugly in the Ravens game

Tribal Warfare
08-20-2011, 03:45 AM
The Blitz | A look at the good, the bad and the ugly in the Ravens game (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/19/3087674/the-blitz-a-look-at-the-good-the.html)

Highlight

The Chiefs’ final possession of the first half was their most impressive of the preseason, with backup quarterback Tyler Palko leading a touchdown drive in the 2-minute offense. Palko was calm and precise, avoiding the panicked play he has displayed so often in practice. He hit Terrance Copper in the end zone with 12 seconds left in the half, tying the score at 10-10.

Lowlight

Ravens running back Ray Rice split the Chiefs defense and ran 26 yards for the game’s first touchdown. Cornerback Javier Arenas overpursued, missing a tackle after Rice cut to his right, and safety Sabby Piscitelli had the angle but couldn’t catch Rice.

What we learned

Matt Cassel can still pass the ball. A week after coach Todd Haley put Cassel’s right arm on a one-game sabbatical, the Chiefs quarterback completed six of 14 passes for 73 yards. He was imperfect, but after such a long layoff, that wasn’t entirely unexpected. After more than three weeks of avoiding contact, Cassel also was reintroduced to being hit when he was sacked late in the first quarter.

Next question

How will the Chiefs operate their pass offense without Jonathan Baldwin? Cassel lost one of his receiving options, at least temporarily, when Baldwin was injured. But Dexter McCluster was solid and proved that his speed and catching ability could help the Chiefs overcome the loss of Baldwin.

The hot seat

Jackie Battle got some work during Friday’s contest, but fullback Le’Ron McClain and McCluster showed why Battle might be the odd man out when final cuts are made. McClain and McCluster displayed versatility, catching passes out of the backfield in addition to their rushing talents. Unless the Chiefs are planning to keep five running backs, including McCluster, Battle needs to be impressive in the final two preseason games to earn a roster spot.

Stock watch

•Going up: Palko didn’t display the indecisiveness and panic that he showed so often during training camp, leading an impressive 80-yard scoring drive near the end of the first half. Palko had a defender in his face when he passed on third and 3 from the Ravens’ 4-yard line, but he hung in the pocket and connected with Copper for the touchdown.

•Going down: Rookie cornerback Jalil Brown, one week after a solid preseason debut against Tampa Bay, was burned on a deep pass play in the first half by Lee Evans. The veteran receiver ran past Brown, and after Evans caught the ball with a wide cushion, Brown finally brought Evans down after a 43-yard gain.

•Staying the same: Jamaal Charles had four carries, but he has yet to break a big play. His job as the Chiefs’ top running back is hardly in question — or shouldn’t be — but it’ll be a relief to some Chiefs fans once Charles breaks his first big run. He finished with 12 yards, including a long of 4.
| Kent Babb, kbabb@kcstar.com

Fritz88
08-20-2011, 03:56 AM
I didn't know that Palko was the reason Flacco transferred to Delaware from Pittsburgh. Amazing how things play out
Posted via Mobile Device

Okie_Apparition
08-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Highlight Express: If your a Chief fan you've got to be worried. The Ravens walked all over the Chiefs averaging 5 yards a carry.

There are shallow people who only care about what people say & will be jumping off bridges today

Priest31kc
08-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Oh Noes! Charles had 4 carries but didn't break a big play!! Time to worry!

Smed1065
08-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Oh Noes! Charles had 4 carries but didn't break a big play!! Time to worry!

Bust.

Crush
08-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Palko did look a little less Palko-ish.

Messier
08-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Going into, and five minutes into the fourth quarter, the Chiefs had more passing yards, rushing yards, and first downs. I couldn't care less about the last ten minutes of the game. There was a lot to like about the game.

TEX
08-20-2011, 08:57 AM
The Chiefs look soft to me up the middle. If ya can't stop the run - you have no chance. Sometimes a glaring problem shows itself in camp and we're very thin up the middle. I hope we're not seeing a prelude of what's to come this season.

TEX
08-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Highlight Express: If your a Chief fan you've got to be worried. The Ravens walked all over the Chiefs averaging 5 yards a carry.

There are shallow people who only care about what people say & will be jumping off bridges today

This should be a concern. Has nothing to do with being shallow. It has everything to do with seeing a real problem developing. All the "shallow" peopl can jump off said bridge. The others need to realize it's a problem and work to fix it.

OnTheWarpath58
08-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Probably a stupid question considering how fucking secretive this organization has become, but is there any word on Albert?

Heard he got dinged in the 1st half.

Coogs
08-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Probably a stupid question considering how fucking secretive this organization has become, but is there any word on Albert?

Heard he got dinged in the 1st half.

Caught a knee to the helmet. Probably was seeing some major stars and was held out a a precautionary measure. Looked like he told the trainers on the bench he was OK, but the were running him through the concussion type of tests. The follow my finger with your eyes type of things.

Tribal Warfare
08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Caught a knee to the helmet. Probably was seeing some major stars and was held out a a precautionary measure. Looked like he told the trainers on the bench he was OK, but the were running him through the concussion type of tests. The follow my finger with your eyes type of things.

he'll probably get a EKG to be safe also

JASONSAUTO
08-20-2011, 09:47 AM

And they also said the ravens dominated the game from start to finish.

No mention that we led in just about every stat and on the scoreboard with ten minuets left...
Posted via Mobile Device

AZORChiefFan
08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
And they also said the ravens dominated the game from start to finish.

No mention that we led in just about every stat and on the scoreboard with ten minuets left...
Posted via Mobile Device

why should they when our 3rd stringers can't even stop the potent Ravens offense? Our season is over!!!!!!!

/end sarcasm

Coogs
08-20-2011, 10:08 AM
The Chiefs look soft to me up the middle. If ya can't stop the run - you have no chance. Sometimes a glaring problem shows itself in camp and we're very thin up the middle. I hope we're not seeing a prelude of what's to come this season.

Going into the last 9 minutes of the game... a point where we were ahead 13-10... the Ravens rushing looked like this. Ray Rice had a 26 yard rushing TD that coulda/shoulda been stopped by Arenas and Houston for a short gain. Besides that run, the Ravens had 14 other carries for 35 yards... a 2.5 YPC average. Not to bad IMO. 15-61 yards with the TD run, for right at a 4.0 average up to the 9 minute mark of the 4th quarter.

Ravens had 9 carries for 53 yards in the last 9 minutes against practice players at best. No cause for concern up the middle yet IMO. Quite the opposite actually.

lcarus
08-20-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't feel bad after last night's game at all. Feel pretty good actually.

JASONSAUTO
08-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't feel bad after last night's game at all. Feel pretty good actually.

Me too. Their third string is better than our guys who will be cut or ps players.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee
08-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Ravens running back Ray Rice split the Chiefs defense and ran 26 yards for the game’s first touchdown. Cornerback Javier Arenas overpursued, missing a tackle after Rice cut to his right, and safety Sabby Piscitelli had the angle but couldn’t catch Rice.
Was this a Chiefs game or an episode of Laverne and Shirley?

YayMike
08-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Being at the game, and sitting 4 rows from the Chiefs' bench, I got to see Albert right after the injury. Old man Muir came over and gave him a nice gay hug. Its magic cured him as he got right up smiled, laughed and began walking around immediately.

A few comments from Ravens fans sitting around: They were NOT happy at all that their starters, which played into the third quarter, couldn't do very much at all. I disagree with the comment that the run D was bad. With our starters in, I thought Gregg and Dorsey played very good, as Rice didnt do shit against our starters other than the catch out of the backfield.

The offense was a little disappointing, nothing changed. Cassel made a few good throws and a few bad ones. He still locks in on his receivers, but he is what he is. I thought the O-line in general played well. Overall, I was happy with the game.

Our 2nd D actually kept up with their starters. The reason the score was lopsided was because our 3rd stringers got their asses kicked by their 2nd stringers....who gives a shit.

Messier
08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Was this a Chiefs game or an episode of Laverne and Shirley?

I hear the Chiefs are thinking of signing TE Carmine Ragusa.

Fish
08-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Being at the game, and sitting 4 rows from the Chiefs' bench, I got to see Albert right after the injury. Old man Muir came over and gave him a nice gay hug. Its magic cured him as he got right up smiled, laughed and began walking around immediately.

A few comments from Ravens fans sitting around: They were NOT happy at all that their starters, which played into the third quarter, couldn't do very much at all. I disagree with the comment that the run D was bad. With our starters in, I thought Gregg and Dorsey played very good, as Rice didnt do shit against our starters other than the catch out of the backfield.

The offense was a little disappointing, nothing changed. Cassel made a few good throws and a few bad ones. He still locks in on his receivers, but he is what he is. I thought the O-line in general played well. Overall, I was happy with the game.

Our 2nd D actually kept up with their starters. The reason the score was lopsided was because our 3rd stringers got their asses kicked by their 2nd stringers....who gives a shit.

Were you the guy in the red and white hawaiian shorts? Cause that guy was representin...

YayMike
08-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Were you the guy in the red and white hawaiian shorts? Cause that guy was representin...

Haha, no I was wearing a Berry jersey and a white sideline hat. There were tons of fans in the first four rows though. Good to see us represented well. McClain and Gregg were talking to the crowd the entire night. Very classy.

Halfcan
08-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Highlight...

T Jack showing signs of life. Maybe he has finally found the fire to play football???

Lowlight....

Chiefs Offensive Line-Unable to pick up even the basic of Blitzes-Ravens lit us up for 6 easy sacks. BTW Mcluster is NOT the RB you need back there for Corner and Safety Blitzes-Bone Crusher Owned him.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Why do you keep posting this? The Ravens couldn't run for shit against the Chiefs players that will actually see the field. BFD if a bunch of scrubs get ran on in the 4th quarter of preseason game 2.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-20-2011, 01:43 PM

That happens when it's ones versus twos and threes.