PDA

View Full Version : Computers For all you people who are not so proficient at computers

pr_capone
08-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I have never seen so much truth packed into one little article. This is for all you people who have others work on the computer for you as well as those of you who call in for tech support.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-guy-whos-fixing-your-computer-hates-you/

#6. Future Computer Problems Are Not Automatically My Fault

This computer is yours. You know exactly who has used it. It is in its current condition without any outside interference, especially from me. I, on the other hand, am about to spend several hours of my own time trying to get it back into the condition it was in before you or someone you love screwed it up. So, two months down the line if I get a call from you, saying, "That program you installed messed up my computer." I will beat you until it causes hydrogen fusion. Or at least I will imagine myself doing it.

/click link for more of the article

chasedude
08-20-2011, 01:44 PM
HAHA!

One of my latest was working on our cleaning ladie's puter. I get her all cleaned up and later that evening I get a call from her. "What did you do to my computer?" she says, "My Bank website is asking me what my Highschool mascot was?" I ask her well what is it? She can't remember! LMAO "It never asked me this before", she says. I tell her that when cookies are cleaned up on a computer that the banks website security needs to know it's her again so they ask questions only she would know. "I never told them any of these things when I set my account up", she says. I tell her yes, you must have otherwise why would they ask for these things. She tells me no, I never did tell them... back and forth we go over this. Call your bank and get it straightened out, they have the control over this I don't. Evidently she must've got it taken care of with the bank cause I haven't heard from her since.

A Old tech I used to work with told me how he would charge people for computer work. 20 bucks an hour if I work on it alone, 40 bucks if you're standing behind me watching everything I do, or 60 bucks an hour if I have to explain every fucking thing to you while I'm doing it!

tyton75
08-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Thats beautiful!

Slainte
08-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I am amused by whinging nerdniks. Shut the fuck up and do your overpaid job or the rest of us will beat the living fuck out of you. Annoyance.

Pablo
08-20-2011, 02:06 PM
I am amused by whinging nerdniks. Shut the fuck up and do your overpaid job or the rest of us will beat the living fuck out of you. Annoyance.

Lawl.

Bearcat
08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I am amused by whinging nerdniks. Shut the **** up and do your overpaid job or the rest of us will beat the living **** out of you. Annoyance.

That's kind of the point... a lot of it isn't hard, it's just that you're all that fucking stupid...

chasedude
08-20-2011, 02:13 PM
That's kind of the point... a lot of it isn't hard, it's just that you're all that fucking stupid...

Cha-Ching! Without us nerds he'd be up a shit creek without a paddle.

Mosbonian
08-20-2011, 02:25 PM
:banghead::facepalm:

Please not this again...another article written by a tech geek expounding about how most of the world are cretins in comparison.

Wasn't this an overdone sketch on Saturday Night Live?

I understand that much of a generation is probably not tech-savvy, and you can't fathom why they wouldn't be. But suck it up...it's probably the reason you have an income...because if everyone could do it, you wouldn't be able to charge so much.

You know why mechanics don't bitch anymore when someone treats a car like a POS? Because they know it means $$$.

Trevo_410
08-20-2011, 02:26 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pD_imYhNoQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pablo
08-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Everybody has hang ups in their job and/or career field.

Nobody cares about yours in particular.

pr_capone
08-20-2011, 02:55 PM
:banghead::facepalm:

Please not this again...another article written by a tech geek expounding about how most of the world are cretins in comparison.

Wasn't this an overdone sketch on Saturday Night Live?

I understand that much of a generation is probably not tech-savvy, and you can't fathom why they wouldn't be. But suck it up...it's probably the reason you have an income...because if everyone could do it, you wouldn't be able to charge so much.

You know why mechanics don't bitch anymore when someone treats a car like a POS? Because they know it means $$$.

The article was referencing how most of the computer work in the world is done for free by friends and the outcomes of that situation.

But by all means... don't let facts, such as the premise of the article, get in the way of your rant.

DaFace
08-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Everybody has hang ups in their job and/or career field.

Nobody cares about yours in particular.

We aren't talking about paid gigs here.
Posted via Mobile Device

KChiefer
08-20-2011, 03:07 PM
A Old tech I used to work with told me how he would charge people for computer work. 20 bucks an hour if I work on it alone, 40 bucks if you're standing behind me watching everything I do, or 60 bucks an hour if I have to explain every ****ing thing to you while I'm doing it!

^^:clap:^^

I recently started a new job. On my first day I removed a virus our mgr put on a PC while trying to watch the royal wedding. I also removed about 5-10 pieces of bloatware. A month later I replaced RAM that died. These things saved the store a few hundred dollars. These PCs are old and need to be replaced but won't be until after the busy season I'm told, which makes perfect sense right.?.?

This week I was helping a customer and needed to move an excel file to another PC and when I went to plugin my usb I was told not to b/c I may spread a virus. Oh, the company wanting her to send docs for an apartment lease are in reality wanting to spread viruses, gotcha!

My other rant goes out to my friend who decided to show up at my place with a portable drive to d/l pron from my PC. I said fine...sure. His drive then dies and he says it was the prons fault and thus my fault. OK, it wasn't b/c you bought a cheap HDD in a cheap external case. Why didn't it kill my HDD as well??? He didn't know but it was my fault. He stopped saying this after the third time when I gave him the glare of death.

This same friend recently broke with his girl and thought that replying to Craigslist NSA ads was a good idea. What's funnier is that he still believes some of the spam he's getting from this is legit! He also believed that several ppl from England wanted to sublet his apartment. :facepalm:

unlurking
08-20-2011, 03:09 PM
For all you dumbshits complaining about other people whiing about their jobs, try reading the fucking article...

By my calculations, about 96 percent of all computer repairs are done, not by the local computer guy or the Geek Squad, but by The Friend Who is Good With Computers. Often that friend is nothing more than an average computer user who knows how to look up error messages on Google, but it doesn't matter -- once they become known as TFWIGWC, they will get the call every time something goes wrong. And they will fix it, probably for free, because TFWIGWC pities you.
So we now know you that not only do you get your panties in a wad when somebody calls you stupid, they apparently have reason to. Seeing as you can't read and all.

EDIT:
Beat by pr-capone and DaFace. Oh well. Better late than never.

Mosbonian
08-20-2011, 03:31 PM
For all you dumbshits complaining about other people whiing about their jobs, try reading the ****ing article...

So we now know you that not only do you get your panties in a wad when somebody calls you stupid, they apparently have reason to. Seeing as you can't read and all.

EDIT:

I read the article....could give a **** if it's free or paid. I get tired of the complaining about fixing peoples computer. If you tire of how they screw things up then don't fix it more than once. If you let them continue the behavior then you are nothing more than an enabler.

Wanna talk about getting your panties in a wad?

And for edification....I learned what I needed to about computers from TFWIGWC. But I didn't let him just fix my computer and head off. I asked questions the first time...wrote down important notes and kept them. And I F***ing paid him! Now, if I have something that comes up wrong with my computer, I research the Net to get an answer. And yes, I ask a question or 2 here because so many of you are computer savvy in areas I am not. And sometimes I will call TFWIGWC as a last resort....that is how I keep him as a friend.

Mosbonian
08-20-2011, 03:32 PM
The article was referencing how most of the computer work in the world is done for free by friends and the outcomes of that situation.

But by all means... don't let facts, such as the premise of the article, get in the way of your rant.

Please see the post above.

morphius
08-20-2011, 03:41 PM
I'd complain more, but I think the family doctors/nurses and family mechanics might get it worse.

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-20-2011, 03:48 PM
EDIT:

What's with all these people only reading half of a threads posts?

:D

unlurking
08-20-2011, 03:50 PM
What's with all these people only reading half of a threads posts?

:D
GRRRR!!!

:doh!:

seclark
08-20-2011, 03:52 PM
it's not the brand or type of computer...it's the person that uses it.
sec

Mosbonian
08-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd complain more, but I think the family doctors/nurses and family mechanics might get it worse.

LOL..the last thing I would want to do is go to a family member for medical advice. Too many people who would get rich off me dying.

I guess in some way the same thing for family mechanics...too many ways for me to die in a vehicle "by accident" and certain family members profit. :D

Dr. Facebook Fever
08-20-2011, 03:53 PM
GRRRR!!!

:doh!:

LMAO

I'm done messin with you now... have a lovely day!

DenverChief
08-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I read the article....could give a **** if it's free or paid. I get tired of the complaining about fixing peoples computer. If you tire of how they screw things up then don't fix it more than once. If you let them continue the behavior then you are nothing more than an enabler.

And for edification....I learned what I needed to about computers from TFWIGWC. But I didn't let him just fix my computer and head off. I asked questions the first time...wrote down important notes and kept them. And I F***ing paid him! Now, if I have something that comes up wrong with my computer, I research the Net to get an answer. And yes, I ask a question or 2 here because so many of you are computer savvy in areas I am not. And sometimes I will call TFWIGWC as a last resort....that is how I keep him as a friend.

WTF brought this chick to the party?

Crush
08-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Cracked.com is serious business.

chasedude
08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Just tell them it's a PEBKAC error and you cant fix it.

A definition for you non-techies:

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

unlurking
08-20-2011, 04:13 PM
WTF brought this chick to the party?
No shit. Must be that time of the month.

Shit, another post I skipped reading, but if I go answer it out of turn beer me will just throw me more shit. Nah, better just to feign being too cool to respond to someone offended by an article not talking about them. Wait a minute, maybe it's just a front and she's NOT really the exception to the rule. I mean, she did go out of her way to use the TFWIHSUOHDSKHF whatever the fuck acronym to throw us off the scent. Ahh, who the...

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/adzbroas/adriana-lima-1.jpg

...damn, is my laundry done?! Where was I? Oh yeah...

Stupid broads.

nstygma
08-20-2011, 04:51 PM
i know! install norton, that will fix it!

crossbow
08-20-2011, 05:01 PM
I was fixing a Ladies computer for a very large chain store and the cashier wanted to argue with me over it.

1) I borrowed a stylus from an Ingenico 6550 credit card reader to use on her Ingenico 1000 reader.
2) She said the two readers had different pens.
3) I responded with "They both use pens with the same part number" which is true.
4) Of course she ignored that statement and knew I was wrong because the lead cashier told her they were different.
5) I have 30 years of IT experience and training and do it for a living.
6) The lead cashier has 0 experience and training so she MUST be right and I must be wrong.

I will never understand why people think that computers are so simple that any buffoon can repair them without even a fundamental knowledge of how they work. And yet stand there and argue with a skilled professional over something they have no clue of. I hate those self appointed office "experts" that spout tons of bullshit about computers so they can appear knowledgeable. They are always wrong and it just makes my job harder because after I fix it I have to convince the abuser ER uh user that it is really fixed even though I didn't use the xyz bullshit part that Mr. Expert insisted was faulty.

Continued Rant:

I hate help desk idiots that say things to their caller like...

1) It must be the memory box (what the hell is a memory box?)
2) When they call the entire computer the "hard drive" or "modem"
3) When they open service calls and insist that a system board be replaced because the machine will not connect to the network. You get there and see that they didn't even choose a protocol from the driver set.
4) Why is the solution to a help desk analyst always to replace a system board?
It is the hardest thing to do. Costs the most and takes the most time to get done. It also never fixes the original problem. It is usually a driver issue or something simple that they should be able to detect over the phone but they are Galactic idiots that should find a different profession because they ain't doing this one justice.

I can answer that. Becuase the system board is that magic box that does stuff that he/she doesn't know exactly how it works or what is going on in there and since they exhausted their very limited knowledge of computers, it has to be a problem in that thing.

BigRedChief
08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
5) I have 30 years of IT experience and training and do it for a living..WOW you were doing I.T. before even Bill Gates and Paul Allen were building the first PC in their garage? :clap:

Very cool. But, why are you not filty rich then?

crossbow
08-20-2011, 05:32 PM
WOW you were doing I.T. before even Bill Gates and Paul Allen were building the first PC in their garage? :clap:

Very cool. But, why are you not filty rich then?

I worked on mainframes and mini-computers. I also worked on arcnet and star topologies before Netware was invented. I can remember when Ethernet cables were as big around as your thumb so people used Token Ring instead. When twisted pair was designed then people switched to ethernet and TR died.

crossbow
08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
No shit. Must be that time of the month.

Stupid broads.

Wow! Would love to crawl under her desk and show her my "hard drive"

DaFace
08-20-2011, 05:45 PM

I disagree about doctors and nurses. They may get asked for advice more often, but those interactions are usually casual and only last a few minutes. Not that I have a huge number of doctor friends or anything, but the ones I HAVE known won't give you a true exam or diagnosis outside of the office. There's too much insurance BS to deal with doing it outside the system.

Mechanics are very close, so I agree with you there.

crossbow
08-20-2011, 06:06 PM
IT was great up until about 10 years ago. Techs were respected and clients knew they were dumbasses when it came to technology. Companys exported all those help desk jobs to India and created a surplus of technicians here in the states. Then they drove down the wage scale. Now we work twice as hard for half as much pay.